General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Is Cobalt SS/SC worth the money/trouble?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 03:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is Cobalt SS/SC worth the money/trouble?

For the past week or so, I have been reading this forum and there seems to be some quality issues with the car along with some problems regarding stage kits from either GM or OTTP. Are these issues owners have one off issues or are they kind of across the board? I am thinking about switching out my current ride for a 2006 Cobalt SS/SC. I have a quality ride now but I am not sure I am willing to give it up for car with constant problems. I guess it's all a gamble. Another item I do not understand is the issue with limp mode. What causes the car to go into it? Any feedback, good and bad, is appreciated! I do admit, the SS/SC is a pretty sweet looking car and has great potential, even if a stage 1 or 2 is used and that's it. I like the idea of that!
Old 06-29-2010, 03:59 PM
Banned

2 major things against it...Bad resale value and fwd

other then that its a fun car
Old 06-30-2010, 11:16 AM

FWD doesn't bother me....i prefer RWD but they are getting more rare by the day. I heard BMW is going to start producing FWD to reduce costs...until the MINI, they only made RWD. Pretty crappy how they will break traditional to save a few pennies! Anyway, there just seems to be a lot of pretty big problems. Between the throttle body issue, crappy stock clutch, and it being a GM, is this thing worth it? I have been eyeballing them for about 2 months. I like the aftermarket for it so that's nice and i do happen to like the interior and the wing.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
if u get a 06 its the best yr haha i have a 06

limp mode is when the car goes into reduced engine power mode and u can only go 50-60 when in 5th.

my throttle body sensor came unhooked and i didnt have a code reader or my interceptor gauge hooked up so i didnt know what happen. i thought my motor blew, luckily that wasnt the case

but the car can go into limp mode for other things, idk what else but its like safe mode i guess u can say
Old 06-30-2010, 11:44 AM

Power steering. Make sure that is fixed when you get it.

(Will be free at the dealership, it was a recall)
Old 06-30-2010, 11:45 AM

Remove the cat to avoid limp. Best cheap thing I did.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:52 AM

I have an 05 with the hahn turbo kit, almost at 100k miles... runs nice... would run better with a new fuel filter and have everything tightened up but other than thats its ****** kickin...

replaced the radiator too from autozone for 120 bucks, works like a charm.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:52 AM

Long story short, the whole car is not much to talk about. The motor is pretty decent.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a 05, and not a single major problem yet. it has 55,xxx miles
Old 06-30-2010, 12:44 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by TotalChaos
For the past week or so, I have been reading this forum and there seems to be some quality issues with the car along with some problems regarding stage kits from either GM or OTTP. Are these issues owners have one off issues or are they kind of across the board? I am thinking about switching out my current ride for a 2006 Cobalt SS/SC. I have a quality ride now but I am not sure I am willing to give it up for car with constant problems. I guess it's all a gamble. Another item I do not understand is the issue with limp mode. What causes the car to go into it? Any feedback, good and bad, is appreciated! I do admit, the SS/SC is a pretty sweet looking car and has great potential, even if a stage 1 or 2 is used and that's it. I like the idea of that!
As with any car, there will be some problems. The Cobalt really isn't some complete wreck or disaster of a car. When you get a tuner type car with a community like this site you get to hear about all the problems that people have. However, nobody ever complains because their car works great so you don't hear as much about those cars. I had a 2005 SS/SC before I bought my current 2010 SS/TC. I never had one problem with my car besides the sunroof button falling off. After a few attempts it finally got fixed right.

As far as stage kits go, I have never heard of any major problems stemming from the GM stage 2, but it is an extremely safe and rich tune. The other canned tunes do different things to try and get more power, some are safer than others. The way you drive also makes a difference. On a more aggressive tune, if you drive ***** to the wall every time you drive then of course there is a good chance the car will have more problems. A car that is used as a race car needs alot more attention then a dialy driver.

Limp mode, as it has been explained, is like a "safe mode". Basically the car detects excessive knock, loses a specific sensor or sensor readings, or detects a specific set of DTCs. The car then goes into limp mode to prevent engine damage.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my warranty ended at 60k, now im at 85k, have not spent a dime on fixing it because nothing has gone wrong or broken.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:53 PM

they're stronger than what people say. abuse will have people griping like it wasn't their fault, but it is. there's plenty of car on here that are good running cars that constantly go to the track. they have regular maintainance mind you, but their drivers expect that and don't complain unless they're total morans. i want to say that hatrickstu's car is both his track car and dd.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:58 PM

I have never had any problems with my 06 at all.
Old 06-30-2010, 01:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
06 ss sc only real problem i had was my radiator cap wouldnt hold pressure. thats it. and i drive a little on the hard side.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:21 AM

Received 70 Likes on 54 Posts
Buy a bone stock, unmolested 07 and keep it that way.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:44 AM

Read any forum, the worst in a car always comes out. Bad resale value was actually an attractive quality for me, since I bought it used. Take care of it, do preventive maintenance and you should be fine.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:48 AM
Banned

Drive the car like you love it then you'll be ok imo. Don't beat on it all the time. I barely get on mine, maybe a couple times a week. Drive it good like that with regular maintance you'll be good
Old 07-01-2010, 02:54 AM

Be as patient as possible if you start to get serious. I thought i got a great car and ended up buying junk even though it was clean inside out...wish i could have seen into that engine before i bought it or something. I think i just got stuck with a lemon or just bad luck because honestly a lot of owners on here are pretty happy with their cars and except the short comings that it does tend to have.
Old 07-01-2010, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by 06yellowburdSS
Be as patient as possible if you start to get serious. I thought i got a great car and ended up buying junk even though it was clean inside out...wish i could have seen into that engine before i bought it or something. I think i just got stuck with a lemon or just bad luck because honestly a lot of owners on here are pretty happy with their cars and except the short comings that it does tend to have.

Yup alot people will jump on the first one they see. I test drove 4 before I got mine. Gotta be patient, good advice
Old 07-01-2010, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by Erick161
Yup alot people will jump on the first one they see. I test drove 4 before I got mine. Gotta be patient, good advice
test drove about 6 here myself came across one from a private owner and this is the one i want with it was used with 60,000 miles and very nice i love my cobalt 06. I think i handles bad around corners you will have to buy other suspension if want to zoom around corners. my Focus SVT handles a lot better then this car
Old 07-01-2010, 06:05 AM

OP, what quality car do you have now?
Old 07-01-2010, 06:15 AM

Horrible resale value and econobox interior. The cobalt in general is a nice first car, or dd but IMO I couldn't be happier getting rid of it. Work at an engineering firm now, and must say I get alot more compliments now about my Charger then I ever did with the Cobalt (had an 05 SS) It really comes down to what you can afford. Bang for the buck it is one of the better cars out there by far if all your looking for is speed.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by KRSPerformance
Horrible resale value and econobox interior. The cobalt in general is a nice first car, or dd but IMO I couldn't be happier getting rid of it. Work at an engineering firm now, and must say I get alot more compliments now about my Charger then I ever did with the Cobalt (had an 05 SS) It really comes down to what you can afford. Bang for the buck it is one of the better cars out there by far if all your looking for is speed.
...but a charger has a horrible interior too? Confused. Exterior wise, a Daytona or SRT-8 look great, same cannot be said for a regular R/T or base. But no matter which version, that interior is atrocious for what was a 35-45K car new (Daytona/SRT-8)...

Originally Posted by Zexrain
test drove about 6 here myself came across one from a private owner and this is the one i want with it was used with 60,000 miles and very nice i love my cobalt 06. I think i handles bad around corners you will have to buy other suspension if want to zoom around corners. my Focus SVT handles a lot better then this car
Does yours have the G85 tranny? I think the LSD really improves handing around the corners. Drove some w/ and without. Doesnt seem to understeer as much with LSD. Granted ive never autoX'ed it, just street driving..
Old 07-01-2010, 07:46 AM

Thumbs up It's a good little car

My '06 has got 51,000 - never had a real issue with it. Runs at 30+mpg.

Drove to Cali and back in summer, not problems. Comfortable, not much to go wrong with it compared to all the others with their electro-gizmos.

Serviced regularly, don't use it in winter and it's like new, still. Only on second set of tires - P Zero Neros. Even with mods, it all works well. Most cars have crap resale value in the USA. You don't buy a car for its resale value!
Old 07-01-2010, 09:42 AM

The feedback has been great.....It seems like aside from the clutch issue (could very well be the driver) and a few minor issues, the car seems to be good. I would love to get an 06 SS/SC but maybe I will just save for an 09 SS/TC. More power and don't have to do much to get over 300. I currently drive a '10 tC and there is just not enough power and the mileage is the same as the Cobalt SS/SC so why not get more power for the same mileage. Still debating but patience is key. There are not a lot of SS/SC or SS/TC around my area for sale so small selection. Plus, I am a little nervous about getting a forced inducted car. I have been around them but never owned one. They seem like a ton of fun. If I got a SS/SC, I would just to a Stage 2 (either GMPP or OTTP), exhaust, and some suspension work. Nothing overly serious. What is the factory warranty on these cars anyway?

Quick Reply: Is Cobalt SS/SC worth the money/trouble?