General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below
View Poll Results: Which is an overall better purchase for the $$
Dodge NEON SRT-4
21.90%
Chevy Cobalt SS
78.10%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Cobalt SS vs NEON SRT-4

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cobalt SS vs NEON SRT-4

OK I'm sure there might already be one of these on here but... mine is better!

Vote in the poll

Then let out your reason why

Be nice, remember they are both american cars show some respect.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:54 AM

I have to go with the Cobalt SS, its a fresh new car.

As for the NEON SRT-4, aside from the fact that I cant ever see myself driving a NEON, it's really not a bad car... I dont know why people argue over these two cars anyways, lets talk SRT-4 and Cobalt SS vs the world of imports
Old 04-26-2005, 11:57 AM

While I admit that I haven't driven either, I have to go with the Cobalt SS. Even though the SRT-4 is slightly faster, I just don't think I could bring myself to drive a neon, which is the worst car made by a failed car company now owned by Germans. Give me a good ol American Chevy Cobalt SS, a few small upgrades (a new pulley would probably work), and I'll have a car that is better looking, has a nicer interior, and can outrun an SRT-4. Let's make sure that GM doesn't go the way of Chrysler people. Wouldn't it be horrible if Ford was the last remaining American car company??
Old 04-26-2005, 12:15 PM

I'm gonna ride the fence on this one and speak on both cars... What I think the pros and cons are for both...

Dodge Neon SRT-4

Pros:
1. Sedan
2. Available perfromance kits from factory and aftermarket
3. More powerful engine
4. Available appearance modifications (wheels, carbon fiber, etc.)
5. Mopar mods are covered under warranty

Cons:
1. Sedan
2. Styling (inside and out)
3. Braking
4. Cost

Cobalt SS Supercharged

Pros:
1. Coupe
2. Pirelli tires standard
3. Supercharged engine
4. Braking
5. Less demanding to drive
6. Price v. compared models is competitive
7. Great factory stereo

Cons:
1. New model (recalls soon?)
2. Leather standard
3. Late release
4. Steering could be more responsive
5. wheel bolt pattern
6. Little performance upgrades and modifications

Personally, I prefer GM products to DaimlerChrysler. They're not the world's largest automaker for nothing! I think the folks at Lordstown are doing a great job, aside from the late release thing. Keep up the good work and no recalls!!!
Old 04-26-2005, 12:24 PM

Uh, just curious why you put cost as a con for the SRT-4 and Pro for the SS? They're both about the same price...

And what's the deal with the wheel bolt pattern? (not to hijack, but I haven't heard of this)
Old 04-26-2005, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by mchat
Uh, just curious why you put cost as a con for the SRT-4 and Pro for the SS? They're both about the same price...

And what's the deal with the wheel bolt pattern? (not to hijack, but I haven't heard of this)
I'm sure cost was an issue for the SRT4 becuase if you compare the 2 the SS comes with a few more things that you have to add on the SRT which would be a cost issue
Old 04-26-2005, 12:32 PM

OK... I just priced a SRT-4 with the comparable options I will get on my SS Supercharged and the MSRP for the SRT-4 is 24,325. My MSRP is $23,115.
The wheel bolt pattern is the rarest bolt pattern I've seen aside from 20" and up wheels. But those are even becoming more accessible. I've gone to every wheel shop I know in the Cleveland area, big franchises and mom and pops, and I can't find a NICE set of wheels for the SS. Just gotta wait.... Hope that answers your question.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by bruff1977
OK... I just priced a SRT-4 with the comparable options I will get on my SS Supercharged and the MSRP for the SRT-4 is 24,325. My MSRP is $23,115.
The wheel bolt pattern is the rarest bolt pattern I've seen aside from 20" and up wheels. But those are even becoming more accessible. I've gone to every wheel shop I know in the Cleveland area, big franchises and mom and pops, and I can't find a NICE set of wheels for the SS. Just gotta wait.... Hope that answers your question.
Theres a post on some wheels that will be avail.

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/general-cobalt-68/new-16-18-rims-available-cobalt-2197/
Old 04-26-2005, 12:45 PM

Ah you must have put the "competition" package on it, which upgrades it to an ACR... A SRT-4 ACR greatly improves the handling over the stock SRT-4. As far as I know, no magazine has put it through its paces yet, but I'd be willing to bet that it'd outhandle the SS.

What is the bolt pattern anyway?
Old 04-26-2005, 01:24 PM

Ah you must have put the "competition" package on it, which upgrades it to an ACR... A SRT-4 ACR greatly improves the handling over the stock SRT-4. As far as I know, no magazine has put it through its paces yet, but I'd be willing to bet that it'd outhandle the SS.

What is the bolt pattern anyway?

yes, I placed the ACR package on the SRT-4. The SS Supercharged has handling upgrades as well. The bolt pattern is 5x110.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:33 PM

yes, I placed the ACR package on the SRT-4. The SS Supercharged has handling upgrades as well. The bolt pattern is 5x110.
That really sux. Sounds like there's an opportunity for a business to make some aftermarket hubs in either the 5 on 100 or 5 on 114.3 (5 on 4.5") patterns. Would a kit which includes all 4 hubs be worth $300-$400 to ya? (Just a guess on price between $75-$100 per hub). That would give you a much larger wheel selection...

Edit:

Actually, now that I think about it, it probably wouldn't be hard to take the hubs off and take them to a local machine shop to have them re-drilled for the 5 on 100 bolt pattern. You could have them place the holes half way between the existing ones and then you'd have a "dual pattern" hub. Probably could find a local machine shop to do it for less than $50/hub.

Something to think about.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:45 PM

cobalt is more refigned car, better handling and brakes, if gm comes out with the claimed 230-340hp stage 1 then its in srt-4 territory as far as acceleartaion goes. tires are good but i prefere the srt-4's tires, i'm a bfgoodridge fan, thoes g-force kdw are awsome tires. 6 speed srt-4?? since when? but cobalt ss s/c all the way.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:47 PM

That really sux. Sounds like there's an opportunity for a business to make some aftermarket hubs in either the 5 on 100 or 5 on 114.3 (5 on 4.5") patterns. Would a kit which includes all 4 hubs be worth $300-$400 to ya? (Just a guess on price between $75-$100 per hub). That would give you a much larger wheel selection...

Edit:

Actually, now that I think about it, it probably wouldn't be hard to take the hubs off and take them to a local machine shop to have them re-drilled for the 5 on 100 bolt pattern. You could have them place the holes half way between the existing ones and then you'd have a "dual pattern" hub. Probably could find a local machine shop to do it for less than $50/hub.

Something to think about.
I'm not familiar with modifying or replacing the hub, but it sounds unsafe. What I'm getting at is if it's that simple to replace a hub, then GM shouldn't have put that wacky bolt pattern on the SS Supercharged. These GM execs knew that the Cobalt(all trims) has aftermarket potential. All the way down to the wheels. I hope wheel companies notice this and modify their products. All I want is a set of Foose Speedsters! But I am way off topic. To get back on topic, that is a major difference between these two vehicles. MODIFICATION. Everyone wants the car they have to pay on for five years to be their own. I know I do. Mopar and the aftermarket has an incredible selection of add-ons, upgrades, etc. to cater to everyone in this market. Only time will tell with the SS Supercharged. And by that time, I'll probably be in a Caddy.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:08 PM

I'm not familiar with modifying or replacing the hub, but it sounds unsafe.
Not unsafe at all. A bit of work, yes, but not unsafe. Of course the rotors would need to be drilled as well (not the braking surface, but the wheel mounting surface).

What I'm getting at is if it's that simple to replace a hub, then GM shouldn't have put that wacky bolt pattern on the SS Supercharged. These GM execs knew that the Cobalt(all trims) has aftermarket potential. All the way down to the wheels. I hope wheel companies notice this and modify their products.
Yea, the GM Exec know about the aftermarket potential... that's why they chose the wacky pattern, so that GM would get it's share of the aftermarket pie...

Some wheel companies will adapt and some companies wont. Another option may be to call the wheel manufacturer and get a wheel that hasn't been drilled (some manufactures will do this others won't and it depends on the design of the wheel if it will work or not) and then have a machine shop drill it for the odd 5 on 100 bolt pattern.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie
cobalt is more refigned car, better handling and brakes, if gm comes out with the claimed 230-340hp stage 1 then its in srt-4 territory as far as acceleartaion goes. tires are good but i prefere the srt-4's tires, i'm a bfgoodridge fan, thoes g-force kdw are awsome tires. 6 speed srt-4?? since when? but cobalt ss s/c all the way.

Editing now...
Old 04-26-2005, 02:16 PM

Here's a page for a machine shop that does this for Ford Thunderbird's (redrill hubs for the Mustang pattern):

http://www.geocities.com/stus_cobra/irs_machining.html
Old 04-26-2005, 02:19 PM

Editing now...
???? i dont get it.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:21 PM

???? i dont get it.
Bad info I have. I was under the impression the SRT-4 was a sixer.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:50 PM

ah totally understandable. its ok i didnt realize you posted it. cool
Old 04-26-2005, 03:15 PM
Premium Member

The cobalt is prettier
Old 04-26-2005, 03:28 PM
Moderator Alumni
Platinum Member

im a mopar person for sure its all i owned till i got the cavy but for this ill have to go with the SS i love the srt but its just become way too common around my area much the same as STIs and Evos plus i prefer s/c to turbo
Old 04-26-2005, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by RedCavyRS99
im a mopar person for sure its all i owned till i got the cavy but for this ill have to go with the SS i love the srt but its just become way too common around my area much the same as STIs and Evos plus i prefer s/c to turbo
Careful what you say becuase if all goes well there will be jsut as manyy SS's out there as there is evo's SRT's and GTI....Maybe not GTI's theres a shitload of those

You should want to drive a popular car... if you drive a 25k dollar car that isnt all over its crapy not exclusive this isnt a 200k dollar car we are tlaking about here
Old 04-26-2005, 07:15 PM

Read the Motor Trend comparison between the SRT-4 and the SS. They said the SRT-4s tires were done after a few hot laps!
Old 04-26-2005, 08:51 PM

Cobalt SS all the way!

Better looks, better handling, better quality, better car!
Old 04-26-2005, 11:35 PM

I was reading a magazine, I dont remember which one, where they did a Cobalt SS vs SRT4 test. It was a 05 SRT4 and I heard they toned those down a little. Anyway, the SRT4 and Cobalt SS were almost exactly the same acceleration wise, and the Cobalt seemed to handle better (something like .87g for the SRT4 and .89 for the SS. And the SS had a faster slalom speed). I was excited to read about that.

Quick Reply: Cobalt SS vs NEON SRT-4