General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below
View Poll Results: Which is an overall better purchase for the $$
Dodge NEON SRT-4
21.90%
Chevy Cobalt SS
78.10%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Cobalt SS vs NEON SRT-4

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 02:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hahah.. good thing that motor had a resistor soldered in series

I don't understand why people try defend the SS in a straight line against the SRT. The SRT is faster, no question. And then people say "well with a simple pulley swap.. or with an exhaust and intake" when an SRT guy can go stage 3 and have 134895 hp.

Here's how I see it:

Cobalt SS pros:
Styling (personal pref)
Interior (personal pref)
handling (fact)
price (In Canada, i was able to get the SS for about $6000 cheaper. I had some GM rebates thoguh)

SRT-4 pros:
Acceleration (fact)
Modding potential. (fact)

If I was planning on heavily modifying an engine, I would have gotten the SRT-4, no question. Its alot easier to take a turbo car and make it faster. Look at the staged upgrades.. its just so easy to make this car faster. Since i'm not planning on anything big for the engine, and I happened to like the Cobalts styling better, I chose it. Simple as that.

No need to bash a car that will take you in a drag race...
Old 05-10-2005, 02:34 PM

Oh and just for further clarification:

"RIM"

Wheel

Old 05-10-2005, 03:10 PM
Moderator Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Vooduguru
Wrong n00b. the actual turbo is mitsu, that's all. look it up The engine is all Chrysler.

Actually you can call it a motor if you want to. There is nothing wrong with that.

moˇtor
n.
1. Something, such as a machine or an engine, that produces or imparts motion.
Old 05-10-2005, 03:21 PM
Moderator Alumni

Oh and just for further clarification:

"RIM"

Wheel
rim
n.
<SNIPPED>
3. A circular metal structure around which a wheel tire is fitted.

So I guess your wrong again. Sorry. Maybe you shouldn't be so eager to quit your job as a SRT-4 cheerleader before you try to start a career as an english teacher.
Old 05-10-2005, 03:23 PM

You can say Hondas and Toyotas are built more here in the U.S. but dont you understand the profits go back to Japan!!!!! I really wish I could convince more people not to buy Honda or Toyota when GM and Ford are hurting so bad. I hope it doesn't take the worst for people to realize this.
Old 05-10-2005, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by b-spot
I don't understand why people try defend the SS in a straight line against the SRT. The SRT is faster, no question. And then people say "well with a simple pulley swap.. or with an exhaust and intake" when an SRT guy can go stage 3 and have 134895 hp.
Heh. Why go Stage III when you can go w/ a turbo upgrade from AGP Turbo? I just ordered a GT30RBB from AGP along with some fueling upgrades (pump, injectors, etc...) In about 3-4 weeks I should be pushing close to 400hp at the wheels (no internal engine mods, yet) on pump gas and well over 400hp at the wheels on race gas. Stage III cars will be lucky to break 400whp on race gas. In short I'll have as much power on pump gas as a Stage III car on race gas.

As for handling... stock for stock the SS may have the SRT-4 beat (I'd like to see a comparison between the SRT-4 ACR & the SS tho ) but handling upgrades are just as easy to put on as engine bolt-ons. I put a set of Hotchkis springs and the car sits much nicer and corners a heck of alot better now, all for $142. Next up will be the Hotchkis sway bars, which will improve things even more.

I need to get an updated picture, as my intercooler is now black & has a black mesh in front of it. I'm waiting until I get the windows tinted, hopefully later this week, but here's how my car looks now:

Probably sometime late this year or early next year, I'll be building a forged & ceramic coated bottom end & add an NRGY Heads race ported head and then toss a 75~100shot on top and shoot for 10's...

I'll also have 3 boost levels to choose from (in cabin controls) so when I decide to autocross it, I can run low boost through the twisties and maintain traction and hit high(er) boost on the straights.
Old 05-10-2005, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by zinner
rim
n.
<SNIPPED>
3. A circular metal structure around which a wheel tire is fitted.

So I guess your wrong again. Sorry. Maybe you shouldn't be so eager to quit your job as a SRT-4 cheerleader before you try to start a career as an english teacher.
No actually, the common nomenclature for an automotive wheel application and a 2 wheeled bike application are similar yet different. Rims are for bicycles and motorcycles, and wheels are for cars, trucks, trailers, etc.

If you look at the correct nomenclature for an internal combustion ENGINE you will see it's not a motor. Get your terminology right, you SS cheerleader
Old 05-10-2005, 07:45 PM
Moderator Alumni

No actually, the common nomenclature for an automotive wheel application and a 2 wheeled bike application are similar yet different. Rims are for bicycles and motorcycles, and wheels are for cars, trucks, trailers, etc.

If you look at the correct nomenclature for an internal combustion ENGINE you will see it's not a motor. Get your terminology right, you SS cheerleader

You can argue that all you want but my point is we don't need a condescending posts pointing out tiny differences in language.

Gooooooooooooo! Coabltsss!!!
Old 05-10-2005, 07:47 PM
Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by mchat
Heh. Why go Stage III when you can go w/ a turbo upgrade from AGP Turbo? I just ordered a GT30RBB from AGP along with some fueling upgrades (pump, injectors, etc...) In about 3-4 weeks I should be pushing close to 400hp at the wheels (no internal engine mods, yet) on pump gas and well over 400hp at the wheels on race gas. Stage III cars will be lucky to break 400whp on race gas. In short I'll have as much power on pump gas as a Stage III car on race gas.

As for handling... stock for stock the SS may have the SRT-4 beat (I'd like to see a comparison between the SRT-4 ACR & the SS tho ) but handling upgrades are just as easy to put on as engine bolt-ons. I put a set of Hotchkis springs and the car sits much nicer and corners a heck of alot better now, all for $142. Next up will be the Hotchkis sway bars, which will improve things even more.

I need to get an updated picture, as my intercooler is now black & has a black mesh in front of it. I'm waiting until I get the windows tinted, hopefully later this week, but here's how my car looks now:

Probably sometime late this year or early next year, I'll be building a forged & ceramic coated bottom end & add an NRGY Heads race ported head and then toss a 75~100shot on top and shoot for 10's...

I'll also have 3 boost levels to choose from (in cabin controls) so when I decide to autocross it, I can run low boost through the twisties and maintain traction and hit high(er) boost on the straights.
Can you buy a SRT-4 ACR or do you have to order it special? It's my understanding the ACR is a car you would buy with the strict intentions of making a race car. Is that correct?
It has coil over shocks and the interior is striped down right?

Which button do you use to suck all the money outta your wallet
Old 05-10-2005, 07:56 PM

Can you buy a SRT-4 ACR or do you have to order it special? It's my understanding the ACR is a car you would buy with the strict intentions of making a race car. Is that correct?

The ACR wasn't a special order package but it was limited production.

My condesentions only mirror those shown me, no offense
Old 05-10-2005, 08:12 PM

So you're saying there are no Americans on the SRT team?

BWAGHAHAJHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHHA You're such a dork.

I will agree with you that the "merger" was a ruse. That doesn't change my statement about the SRT-4 being built here, tested here, designed here, and manufactured here.
Nice try though.

Wow... why are you so offensive? Not only are you rude, but you're wrong. I never said that there aren't any Americans employed by Daimler Chrysler. My point is simply that Daimler Chrysler is a German company, most the profits of which go back to Germany, not the US. In fact, Daimler Chrysler has only slightly more influential people employed in the USA than does Toyota, Honda, BMW, and so on.

And just so you know, I have a master's degree in business and I wrote a THESIS on this, so don't argue with me. I do know what I'm talking about.
Old 05-10-2005, 08:33 PM

The SRT-4 ACR is not like the Viper ACR... Basically it's a suspension performance package. My understanding is that it is not coil-overs, but the shocks are adjustable (according to the AutoXer's the ACR suspension is better than the Stage III coil-overs available for the SRT-4). As far as I know it is not stripped down. The earlier Neon ACR's had no A/C, Radio, sound deadener (IIRC), etc.. I believe the SRT-4 ACR has not been stripped down tho, just an SRT-4 w/ better suspension/brakes. I could be wrong tho.

I think it would have been cool if Dodge had made the ACR version w/ factory equipped Stage III turbo and the "Light Weight" components they had on their SEMA car. Imagine a ~360whp, 2600lb car w/ a great suspension and brake package... :drool:
Old 05-10-2005, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by stic5
Wow... why are you so offensive? Not only are you rude, but you're wrong. I never said that there aren't any Americans employed by Daimler Chrysler. My point is simply that Daimler Chrysler is a German company, most the profits of which go back to Germany, not the US. In fact, Daimler Chrysler has only slightly more influential people employed in the USA than does Toyota, Honda, BMW, and so on.

And just so you know, I have a master's degree in business and I wrote a THESIS on this, so don't argue with me. I do know what I'm talking about.

Just because you wrote thesis doesn't make you right. You clearly implied that GM (chevy) ONLY employed US workers, designers etc. Here, let me refresh your memory

Originally Posted by stic5
I know people that where pretty high up at Dodge when the "merger" happened. Any americans with any real power were either stripped of their power or fired. The only reason that it was called a merger in the first place was so that Chrysler could keep its domestic image, but it is anything but domestic in reality. It's not malarkey, it's the sad truth. Anyone that thinks otherwise is in denial.

Now I openly admit that the highest management of the group are in fact Non US. Now considering that Lutz (the Vice Chairman of GM) was also the vice chairman at Chrysler for 12 years. He also was the Executive VP over trucks in Ford, and oh he was executive VP of sales over at BMW. Hmmm...

Middlebrook has been with GM since 1959, yay. And the other upper echelons have been with GM working with various departments around the world. Your assumption that MOST of the profits go back to Germany is retarded. Daimler Chrysler has been VERY successful
in taking the Chrysler group (jeep, Dodge, Chrysler) from a LOSING company to a very good profitable company. Making it capable for US workers to keep their jobs, keep the plants open, and actually do what they do best. Then there's the advertising, and the dealers, and the parts manufacturers. If you look closely, GM is losing (so if Ford) a LOT of market share, and a LOT of value from shareholders. You want to know why? Is it the gas guzzling SUV? Nope, although that's not helping matters. Profit margins on SUV's were awesome for about the last 10 years. Why do you think that Ford/Gm never stopped making the Excursion/Suburban. It was a profit machine. It cost about 11k to build and they sold it for 40-60k. Whats killing GM and Ford are their welfare systems, and the unions. *dons a double walled flame suit* Look at what killed Pan Am, and Eastern Airlines. Unions. I don't think I need to go into the organized crime affiliated with unions do I? Just one question. Where's Jimmy Hoffa?

I'm willing to bet that GM will end up like Chrysler being bought out by some other huge corporation to prevent it from going under completely.

Now look at GM's largest supplier, Delphi, Delphi has 61 manufacturing facilities in Europe/MidEast/Africa 14 Manufacturing in Asia, 47 in mexico and S. America, and 49 in the US. Now out of 171 only 49 are in the US? Hmm.

The point I'm making in all this banter, is that GM is just as guilty in sending money overseas as Chrysler is. But since GM is a MUCH LARGER company, they in fact SEND MORE money overseas.

So don't think that GM is this angel of a company. Moo.
Old 05-10-2005, 09:40 PM
Moderator Alumni

Vooduguru and stic5 cut it out. Pretty sure none of your latest posts back and forth are on topic.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:04 PM

Vooduguru and stic5 cut it out. Pretty sure none of your latest posts back and forth are on topic.
I'm sorry I got off topic but I don't like being flamed for no reason. Getting back to the topic, I think the SRT-4 is a great car for the price and I almost bought one but I'm going to pick up my Cobalt SS tomorrow and I can't wait
Old 05-10-2005, 10:07 PM

They're not. Sowwy. It was a topic offshoot. So how bout dem Dallas Cowboys?
Old 05-15-2005, 01:11 PM

Wow I cant beleive that in a CHEVY SS message board almost 20% voted for the SRT...interesting

Honestly I love the performance the SRT has and when it first came out I was so close to buying one but I can stand the fact that it looks like a neon. or is one I should say. I really hate that body style.

Dont give me ahard time for saying that either... Its ok to not buy a car based on hwo ti looks.

Performace wise I love both cars and if the SS is anything liek the SRT I test drove i'll be happy and I'll haev a car I like the looks of.
Old 05-15-2005, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Chevy4Life85
Wow I cant beleive that in a CHEVY SS message board almost 20% voted for the SRT...interesting

Honestly I love the performance the SRT has and when it first came out I was so close to buying one but I can stand the fact that it looks like a neon. or is one I should say. I really hate that body style.

Dont give me ahard time for saying that either... Its ok to not buy a car based on hwo ti looks.

Performace wise I love both cars and if the SS is anything liek the SRT I test drove i'll be happy and I'll haev a car I like the looks of.
But how can one argue with how a car "looks better"? I mean isn't beauty in the eye of the beholder? Arguing over looks I think is just plain stupid
Old 05-15-2005, 02:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

my bro's SRT-4 (traded in spec V) with intake and exhaust beat my stock bro's SS by a car or so the limited slip and torque brace really helps my bros SS launch but SRT-4 after third pulls like horny goat! i can beat my bros SS in 3 gear run thoe by fender but i also broke my car in and stuff already!

We a weird domestic fam aint we

ME (18yrs old): Redline stock -> bought K & N intake, and torque brace waiting now for them to ship

Brother 1 (21 yrs old): Red SS ->limited slip differental, and torque brace.

Brother 2 (23 years old): Blue SRT-4 -> intake, and greddy BOV so far (stage 2 on the way)
Old 05-15-2005, 02:27 PM

But how can one argue with how a car "looks better"? I mean isn't beauty in the eye of the beholder? Arguing over looks I think is just plain stupid
Not arguing... just saying my opinion is that its ugly... if you like it go for it
Old 05-15-2005, 03:59 PM
Banned

Hmmmm, Being nice to my car I killed a SRT-4 on my way home.

I really think that SRT-4 owners see the under-rated 205HP and think there car is faster. But then again I am used to driving my Camaro SS so driving my Cobalt SS seems easy.

Stock vs Stock a properly driven Cobalt SS will beat a SRT-4 in every category, Period.

Everyone who has a SRT-4 thinks they have the baddest car built, even in my Camaro SS they act as if they have a chance in hell.

I still cannot belive some of the SRT-4 stories I hear especially here out of all places.

They don't ever really pull nor do they run 13's stock.
Old 05-15-2005, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by codyss

I really think that SRT-4 owners see the under-rated 205HP and think there car is faster. But then again I am used to driving my Camaro SS so driving my Cobalt SS seems easy.

Stock vs Stock a properly driven Cobalt SS will beat a SRT-4 in every category, Period.

Everyone who has a SRT-4 thinks they have the baddest car built, even in my Camaro SS they act as if they have a chance in hell.

I still cannot belive some of the SRT-4 stories I hear especially here out of all places.

You're smoking crack. Go pick up a magazine, like say a Motor Trend or Car and Driver, Sport Compact Car, ALL of them got them to pull 13.8 - 13.9s in a bone stock car. Now I won't discount the slight and I do mean SLIGHT advantage the Cobalt SS has in "handling" but that's pretty easy to do in a car with less power
Old 05-15-2005, 06:31 PM
Proud Playstation 3 Owner

After getting my ass handed to me last night by my friend with a SRT4, I respect the power. But what do yah expect when its a bigger engine? hehehehe. SS still looks better.
Old 05-15-2005, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by WeGotTuna
The cobalt is prettier

Can someone post a pic of both so we can see them side by side? Thanks
Old 05-15-2005, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by codyss

Find someone that knows how to drive their stock SRT-4 and he'll hand you your ass.

Here's 3 timeslips from my SRT-4 stock, stock tires even at a track that is 1450ft above sea level.

http://www.azchatfield.net/RR/Pics/2_040316074953e.jpg

I will admit that the two cars are close enough in performance (both straight line & twisties) that it's a driver's race. The SRT having the advantage in a straight line & the SS having the advantage in the twisties (except against the SRT-4 ACR), but neither having such a significant advantage that it'll make up for a poor driver.

Quick Reply: Cobalt SS vs NEON SRT-4