General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below
View Poll Results: Which is an overall better purchase for the $$
Dodge NEON SRT-4
21.90%
Chevy Cobalt SS
78.10%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Cobalt SS vs NEON SRT-4

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2005, 07:59 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Vooduguru
You're smoking crack. Go pick up a magazine, like say a Motor Trend or Car and Driver, Sport Compact Car, ALL of them got them to pull 13.8 - 13.9s in a bone stock car. Now I won't discount the slight and I do mean SLIGHT advantage the Cobalt SS has in "handling" but that's pretty easy to do in a car with less power
He may have exaggerated a bit but overall his post is in the ballpark. The SRT-4 is not the living legend that people try to make it out to be, after all its basically just a 5 year old Neon with a turbocharged motor and a body kit. At least the Cobalt is starting with a brand new chassis and nice interior.

As for performance, I don't think I've ever seen or heard of a stock SRT-4 running a 13.8. The best I have ever seen is 13.9; and most tests are about 13.9-14.2. So, in general, its about a half-second faster than the Cobalt SS S/C in the 1/4 mile. Can't argue with the numbers.

The Cobalt SS S/C has more than a "slight" handlign advantage. If that were the only thing is bests the SRT-4 at, Motor Trend would not have rated it higher than the SRT-4 in their 2-way comparision test. There are other variables besides just straight-line acceleration that make a car fun to drive.

As for the "easy to have better handling with less power" statement, I hope you were kidding. If that were the case, cars such as the Viper SRT-10 and Corvette Z06 would be terrible in the slalom and skippad tests, which we all know that they are't. No use in making false statements in order to satisfy your arguement
Old 05-15-2005, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by wesmanw02
He may have exaggerated a bit but overall his post is in the ballpark. The SRT-4 is not the living legend that people try to make it out to be, after all its basically just a 5 year old Neon with a turbocharged motor and a body kit. At least the Cobalt is starting with a brand new chassis and nice interior.

As for performance, I don't think I've ever seen or heard of a stock SRT-4 running a 13.8. The best I have ever seen is 13.9; and most tests are about 13.9-14.2. So, in general, its about a half-second faster than the Cobalt SS S/C in the 1/4 mile. Can't argue with the numbers.

The Cobalt SS S/C has more than a "slight" handlign advantage. If that were the only thing is bests the SRT-4 at, Motor Trend would not have rated it higher than the SRT-4 in their 2-way comparision test. There are other variables besides just straight-line acceleration that make a car fun to drive.

As for the "easy to have better handling with less power" statement, I hope you were kidding. If that were the case, cars such as the Viper SRT-10 and Corvette Z06 would be terrible in the slalom and skippad tests, which we all know that they are't. No use in making false statements in order to satisfy your arguement

No, I was comparing 2 compacts with FI The cobalt is a smaller motor, in a heavier car with a slightly tweaked suspension. The power to suspension ratio is better balanced on the SS/SC. But that doesn't make up for the power loss in the SS/SC. 200 bucks in second hand springs and the SS/SC is beaten soundly. The SRT is NOT a 5 year old neon design, it's actually 10 years old with moderat upgrades to the body/chassis off of the first gen neon platform 95-99. Which might I add, took dozens of championships in grass roots racing SCCA both first and 2nd gen. The suspension in the SRT is a Tockiko suspension with a deliberate attempt to make the car handle good, but make a demand for the Mopar aftermarket suspension upgrades (see that's smart marketing) which makes the car handle 10 times better *see the Extreme Light weight SRT) So looking at what GM has released for the cobalt as of late, and seeing that they're rumored to drop the G85 package which gives the car MUCH needed LSD, The cobalt unfortunately will never be mod for mod able to beat the SRT. But let's see what the aftermarket has to say.

Don't get me wrong, I like both cars, I honestly think the SRT looks better and has more potential and that's proven already, but the SS/SC still has time for the aftermarket to catch up. To that other n00b, don't make stupid comments like "hey don't ever really pull nor do they run 13's stock." that's just pure ignorance.
Old 05-15-2005, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by wesmanw02
Motortrend's #'s (posted from another thread on another forum, if these are wrong please correct me) My comments in blue.

Srt 0-60 6.0 sec
Cobalt SS 0-60 6.1 sec
Passing, 45-65 both cars did it in 2.7 sec

Motortrend must have gotten the slowest SRT-4 ever produced. 0 to 60 in 6.0 seconds? My 1999 Neon R/T did 0 to 60 in 6.5 Hopefully another magazine (or 2 or 3 or... ) will put do a performance comparison between these two cars; because it's obvious that either Motortrend doesn't know how to drive (most likely) or they were getting $$$ from GM to make the Cobalt look good (least likely).

1/4 mile SRT-4 14.4 at 100.8
1/4 mile Cobalt SS 14.4 at 99.3

See comments above. 14.4? Maybe Motortrend doesn't understand the concept of a good launch. .

braking 60-0
SRT-4 118 ft
Cobalt SS 113ft

Slight advantage Cobalt. 5ft, or roughly 1/3 of a car length. Still not a stagering difference..

600 ft slalom
SRT-4 65.9 mph
Cobalt SS 67.2 mph

1.3mph is hardly a significant difference. On a bigger track the SRT-4 would more than make up the difference on the straights over what it looses in the corners..

The Cobalt comes with 215/45R18 Pirelli PZero Rosso tires
The SRT-4 comes with 205/50ZR17 BFGoorich g-force T/A KDW

Ah... Here's the real reason the SS has the slight edge in performance -- tires. Put the same sized tires on both cars and see which one "out handles" the other. .
Old 05-15-2005, 10:26 PM

I like both the SRT-4 and the Cobalt SS....I love my SS and I wouldn't think twice about trading it for a SRT-4...It's a mere pissing contest...We really can't compare the SS to the SRT-4 just yet we just have to wait the car hasn't even been out a year...Yea, personally I think the SRT-4 is more of a race car for the money over the SS but the SS is also more refined IMO....
Old 05-15-2005, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by mchat
Motortrend's #'s (posted from another thread on another forum, if these are wrong please correct me) My comments in blue.

Srt 0-60 6.0 sec
Cobalt SS 0-60 6.1 sec
Passing, 45-65 both cars did it in 2.7 sec

Motortrend must have gotten the slowest SRT-4 ever produced. 0 to 60 in 6.0 seconds? My 1999 Neon R/T did 0 to 60 in 6.5 Hopefully another magazine (or 2 or 3 or... ) will put do a performance comparison between these two cars; because it's obvious that either Motortrend doesn't know how to drive (most likely) or they were getting $$$ from GM to make the Cobalt look good (least likely).

1/4 mile SRT-4 14.4 at 100.8
1/4 mile Cobalt SS 14.4 at 99.3

See comments above. 14.4? Maybe Motortrend doesn't understand the concept of a good launch. .

braking 60-0
SRT-4 118 ft
Cobalt SS 113ft

Slight advantage Cobalt. 5ft, or roughly 1/3 of a car length. Still not a stagering difference..

600 ft slalom
SRT-4 65.9 mph
Cobalt SS 67.2 mph

1.3mph is hardly a significant difference. On a bigger track the SRT-4 would more than make up the difference on the straights over what it looses in the corners..

The Cobalt comes with 215/45R18 Pirelli PZero Rosso tires
The SRT-4 comes with 205/50ZR17 BFGoorich g-force T/A KDW

Ah... Here's the real reason the SS has the slight edge in performance -- tires. Put the same sized tires on both cars and see which one "out handles" the other. .

Read the earlier article from Motor trend. Doesn't the SS have an 18x7.5 wheel?
The SRT comes stock with a 6" wide wheel Hence another reason Dodge did it that way was marketing. It would damn near demand that the owners put a wider wheel and the Mopar suspension upgrades. It's too bad GM can't figure out to offer a manufacturer aftermarket. Sad really.
Old 05-15-2005, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by Vooduguru
It would damn near demand that the owners put a wider wheel and the Mopar suspension upgrades.
That's the truth. I opted for 17x8" 5zigen wheels w/ 245/40R17's.... which made a huge difference in handling. Recently I added springs from Hotchkiss and the cornering performance got even better.

The nicest thing is that pushing 20psi into the engine (~270whp) the tires just hook up and the car takes off. A legitimate 12 sec car on the street. Will be looking for ways to make that a legitimate 11 sec street car soon; I've ordered my turbo upgrade from AGP.
Old 05-15-2005, 11:41 PM
Banned

A) Your R/T wasn't runing a 6.5 0-60
B) A SRT-4 isn't quicker than 6 seconds 0-60
C) Tires aren't why the SS handles good

I cannot belive some of the things you Dodge guys try to pass as truth even though it's 100% pure BS.

Even if GM entered the market late face it the have shown up wit a better car. Acceleration, Handling and looks.
Old 05-16-2005, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by codyss
I never said the R/T was stock.

Originally Posted by allpar.com
...with some magazines finding 0-60 in as little as 5.6 seconds.
Originally Posted by http://www.rapidcars.com/srt4specs.php
0-60: 5.8 seconds
Originally Posted by http://www.fast-autos.net/dodge/04dodgesrt4.html
0-60 mph: 5.3 sec
Originally Posted by http://www.maximum-cars.com/Cars/Car.php?carnumber=428
0 - 60 MPH: 5.6 Seconds
And those are magazine's times. If you plug my numbers in from that 13.7 run into any 0-60 calculator (such as http://www.markviii.org/~nightsky/sixty.htm) you'll get ~4.9. Even if the calculators are 1/2 second off that's still 5.4 seconds.

I didn't say they were the only reason the SS "handles good." However the handling difference between the two cars is so marginal that tires *could* make the difference.

I cannot belive some of the things you Dodge guys try to pass as truth even though it's 100% pure BS.
I don't believe the 100% BS that is coming off of your keyboard. You obviously have no clue what you're talking about. Go ahead keep believing that stock for stock, you've got the quicker car. Better start practicing those excuses for when you lose repeatedly to stock SRT-4's.

Even if GM entered the market late face it the have shown up wit a better car. Acceleration, Handling and looks.
Acceleration, you're smoking crack. Handling - possibly marginally better, put the same tires on both cars and I'd bet that they're dead even. Looks, well that's up to the individual; some guys like fat chicks too, my guess is that you're one of them.
Old 05-16-2005, 01:04 AM

there is no such thing as tornadoes in Nebraska either right?

Keep saying to yourself, there's no place like home, there's no place like home
Old 05-16-2005, 04:46 PM
Banned

Mchat and Vooduguru you are the best examples of a " Ricer " there is on this site.

You both obviously lack any knowledge of cars in general. You say your R/T is faster as if it's stock, wow you modified a Neon R/T so what wanna see my modded 1993 Z24's tail lights?

Why don't you both just figure out that no one really cares what you say anyway. You have an excuse for anything and everything someone else says.

You are both downright hilarious.
Old 05-16-2005, 05:24 PM

Mchat and Vooduguru you are the best examples of a " Ricer " there is on this site.

You both obviously lack any knowledge of cars in general.
You're right, I know nothing about cars I don't know a thing about turning wrenches or driving.

http://www.azchatfield.net/Pics/Defa...Size=250&ID=33

http://www.azchatfield.net/Pics/Defa...Size=250&ID=37

I'd like to know what is "rice" about posting MY OWN timeslips from MY OWN stock car; timeslips which prove that you're an idiot and don't have a clue what you're talking about when it comes to SRT-4's. Come back with a timeslip that says you've run a 14.2 or lower and I might believe you about beating some SRT-4's w/ poor drivers.

If you ever make it out to Az, let me know, I'd be more than happy to hand you your ass in both of your cars against both of mine. Although it'll be a few months yet before the R/T is trackworthy (installing a roll-cage, new clutch & some other things after the aftermarket clutch let go in March). By the end of the year, I'll have both running 11's; what's "rice" about that?
Old 05-16-2005, 05:58 PM

Both the SRT-4 and SS share a "ricey" feature, their nasty spoilers.
Old 05-16-2005, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by thehemi
Both the SRT-4 and SS share a "ricey" feature, their nasty spoilers.
True. My car hasn't had the spoiler on it since it was about 3 months old.

I also de-badged the car the day after I bought it. I've owned the car for 2 years now and the first "cosmetic only" mod was done yesterday: I added eyelids. Every other part I've replaced/added was for performance.
Old 05-16-2005, 07:24 PM
Moderator Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah I would agree on the rice scale the SRT-4 and SS/SC are right on par with each other.
Old 05-16-2005, 07:47 PM

You both obviously lack any knowledge of cars in general. You say your R/T is faster as if it's stock, wow you modified a Neon R/T so what wanna see my modded 1993 Z24's tail lights?

Why don't you both just figure out that no one really cares what you say anyway. You have an excuse for anything and everything someone else says.

You are both downright hilarious.

Dude, what the hell is your problem? You're like a girl who thinks her chit don't stink. You're the most disrespectful person here right now. Do you work for Newsweek by change? No matter what evidence anyone shows you, you refuse to face facts. You're acting like a 9 year old. Until you can prove either myself or Mchat wrong, STFU.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:51 PM

Please keep posts on topic, dont go off topic and dont bash other members or other automobiles.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie
Please keep posts on topic, dont go off topic and dont bash other members or other automobiles.
I agree................constructive criticism is the best method of conversation.

Arguments lead to name calling. This thread needs to be pulled.
Old 05-17-2005, 11:03 AM

or we could all just stop fighting over .5 second between the two cars becuase I'm sure stock vs stock a different car will win every time becuase I'm also sure not everyone here can get the best possible time out of their car.

The SRT is slightly faster everyone just needs to realize that as of now... give it time wait for some SS's to be broken in and go to the track and then we can argue.

As for Neon people getting mad about the whole "old" car comment.... dont come to this site if you dont think your 10 year old car will be called old next to a 1 year old car
Old 06-14-2005, 05:02 AM

i dunno, an srt4 at the moment feels like a better buy for speed , but the SS looks way nicer.
Old 06-14-2005, 02:28 PM

Hey guys,

I work at a Dodge store and own a SRT-4. I've met up with one of your members on here to check out the SS in depth because I like all fast bang for your buck cars. I usually don't even like to get involved with all this, but I'm off today and extremely bored plus I do this on a daily basis with customers. I just wanted to clear up a lot of misinformation or at least misconceptions in this thread. First of all price, I'm not sure where you guys are coming up with prices, but average selling price of a SRT-4 at my dealership is about $20,250-$21,000 now thats with a limited slip and sunroof. Their have been some that went for as low as $18,550, but thats not the norm. Next about the Motor Trend article, if you guys want to look that up, they even state in that article that their last two SRT's they tested were a half second quicker to 60 and in the 1/4; which makes for a 0-60 in 5.5 and 1/4 mile in 13.9. It really is too bad they got such a slow srt for that particular test, but honestly SRT-4's stock are usually at mid 5 second 0-60's and at least 14.0's in the quarter with some crazy ones breaking into the 13.7's and on the slow side 14.5's. The SRT-4 is the faster of the two stock vs stock with equal drivers and I think most on here realize that. They weigh nearly the same and the SRT-4 (2004+) has about 10-15 more HP to the ground and 50-60 more torque. About interior, I will definitely give the SS the nod. I like the interior a lot and it does give me way more of a newer car feel then the SRT-4 although I still like the SRT-4's viper inspired seats for performance. The main things I tell my customers when they are comparing the two are,

The SRT-4 is faster in a straight line, has more power and torque, comes standard with limited slip, has very nice mopar built upgrade kits that can put the car into the 11's if you wanted to upgrade, and then you get to the big one, 2 door or 4 door. 4 doors are definitely more practical, but do you like the looks? That's totally opinion based. Cobalt has the interior advantage, 18" wheels standard, on star availability, and better stock handling. Whoever are the members that are saying that we should team up, I totally agree. These two cars are both awesome. Who cares that they are both derived from cheap rental car like models. I personally don't like both the base Neon and the Cobalt's styling, but love both the SS's and the SRT's. We just need to all get along, next time you see a SRT give him a thumbs up and hopefully he'll return the favor, I know I would.
Old 06-14-2005, 02:42 PM

Spoken like a true car enthusiast, both cars are amazing, when it comes to looks, performance, and price. Just stop arguing!!! The srt-4 and the SS are basically cousins, both American, both the little brothers of high end performance cars, both competing against, the Japanese market.

On the road I haven’t met on SRT-4 guy that’s been a *****, they have all asked me about the car, either raced me, or left with a thumbs up and said “nice car”. So stop fighting SRT-4’s kick as they are fast and can be modded with no end in sight! The SS will be the same soon.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:24 PM
Banned

Wow, Do you need a Kleenex?

You seem to be the disrespectful ones.

Why do you think your right? When my car had 900miles on it yes a SRT-4 would have done me in with ease. But with 2100miles on the ticker there is no way in hell a SRT-4 will hand me my ass. A SRT-4 is equal to a 1999-2004 Mustang GT (had a 2003 last year) and from a roll a my GT is toast in my SS/SC.

You sit here and use oh so common excusses like "Wow there SRT-4 was slow" and "They suck at driving" so was the SS/SC perfect and driven to it's 100% potential? Do you think my 2002 Camaro SS runs high 13's because Motor Trend says so? The SRT-4 vs SS/SC situations I am talking about aren't in a magazine.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:40 PM

Why do you think your right? When my car had 900miles on it yes a SRT-4 would have done me in with ease. But with 2100miles on the ticker there is no way in hell a SRT-4 will hand me my ass. A SRT-4 is equal to a 1999-2004 Mustang GT (had a 2003 last year) and from a roll a my GT is toast in my SS/SC.

You sit here and use oh so common excusses like "Wow there SRT-4 was slow" and "They suck at driving" so was the SS/SC perfect and driven to it's 100% potential? Do you think my 2002 Camaro SS runs high 13's because Motor Trend says so? The SRT-4 vs SS/SC situations I am talking about aren't in a magazine.
I won't get into a big argument with you. Anything is possible on the street due to about 20 million different variables. I never put the SS down, I just simply stated the facts which come from dynos, timeslips, and my experiences. If you would like to post a video, timeslip, or dyno backing up your claims please do. Again I like most of the members on here, but there will always be a few like you that has to take it to the next level. Continue flaming alone.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:59 PM

Look i have raced an SRT-4 they are fast there is nothing you can say about that, He will hand you your ass on a silver platter. I own an SS the last thing I want to do is admit that another car is faster but the SRT-4 pulls better at high speeds.

The guy I raced had been driving his SRT-4 for a year, so he knew what he was doing, im not the greatest shifter, but in that race I didn’t miss one gear and nailed everything perfect, the race was close, I took him of the start but he caught up and passed me at around 95-98 mph.

No one drives perfect any SS can beat an SRT-4 if the SRT-4 messes up, or doesn’t drive as well as the SS. And the same with the SRT-4 they can beat an SS if the criver messes up but if it’s a perfect drive for both racers then until 80 the SS has the lead then the SRT-4 takes it
Old 06-15-2005, 12:31 AM

Im not trying to add more fuel to the fire but anyone can win or lose on any given day and yes there are about 20 million variables that can affect a race so you win some you lose some and to anyone that says you cant lose well your just in denial

Quick Reply: Cobalt SS vs NEON SRT-4