General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Driving Manual Tips

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 03:36 PM

Received 417 Likes on 341 Posts
If the engine revs like crazy when you release then you didn't really rev match. The reason that you didn't jolt is because you let the clutch out so slowly. The idea of rev matching is to match the engine speed to the road speed. The high revs you experienced are because you are going very fast for the lower gear. If you remember the rpm that the engine reached and the vehicle speed when you let out the clutch, next time you can blip the throttle up to that same rpm at that speed, then you would be rev matching.
Old 02-05-2015, 03:37 PM

But rev matching isn't really a beginner skill, so the fact that you didn't jolt is good enough for a beginner Next is learning how the vehicle speed relates to your engine speed in each gear. For example, it isn't a good idea to downshift to second gear when you're going above 60mph, or you're going to rev the engine too high.
Old 02-05-2015, 04:01 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by emecham
But rev matching isn't really a beginner skill, so the fact that you didn't jolt is good enough for a beginner Next is learning how the vehicle speed relates to your engine speed in each gear. For example, it isn't a good idea to downshift to second gear when you're going above 60mph, or you're going to rev the engine too high.
Nope, definitely NOT a good idea to downshift to second when second doesn't even hit 60mph

But ya your right. It's extremely helpful knowing the speed ranges for each gear at each 1000rpm increment.

For example, if your doing 60kph (sorry murica), in third gear, your roughly around 2000rpm.

To rev-match smoothly, you need to know what RPM second gear spins 60kph at (about 3200).

So you clutch in, blip the throttle to get the engines speed up to the proper RPM for the lower gear at speed (3200), and clutch out.

If you do it smooth enough, you don't have to let the clutch out slowly. It's actually harder to do it properly if you are holding the clutch in too long, because you are allowing the engines RPM's to dip every moment you're clutched in.

I started trying this at the beginning of last summer, and its made my driving so much more enjoyable. Took a few months of practice to really nail down. It's still a bit of a challenge, but its very confidence inspiring when you do it perfect! lol
Old 02-05-2015, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by UnkleRaRa
Nope, definitely NOT a good idea to downshift to second when second doesn't even hit 60mph

But ya your right. It's extremely helpful knowing the speed ranges for each gear at each 1000rpm increment.

For example, if your doing 60kph (sorry murica), in third gear, your roughly around 2000rpm.

To rev-match smoothly, you need to know what RPM second gear spins 60kph at (about 3200).

So you clutch in, blip the throttle to get the engines speed up to the proper RPM for the lower gear at speed (3200), and clutch out.

If you do it smooth enough, you don't have to let the clutch out slowly. It's actually harder to do it properly if you are holding the clutch in too long, because you are allowing the engines RPM's to dip every moment you're clutched in.

I started trying this at the beginning of last summer, and its made my driving so much more enjoyable. Took a few months of practice to really nail down. It's still a bit of a challenge, but its very confidence inspiring when you do it perfect! lol
Thats good to know, so for every gear, the RPM blip will be different, right? Also, if you let out the clutch fast wouldnt that be dropping it? Meaning it would be killing it?
Old 02-05-2015, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Pasierbek
Thats good to know, so for every gear, the RPM blip will be different, right? Also, if you let out the clutch fast wouldnt that be dropping it? Meaning it would be killing it?
The blip depends on how fast you're going and what gear you're about to use. As long as you're moving, you can "drop" the clutch without killing it. If you're going 10mph and you drop the clutch into fifth gear then you might kill it, but that would happen if you let it out slowly anyways.

Basically, for now, letting out the clutch slowly while downshifting is the way to go. Just make sure that the gear is appropriate for the speed. Rev matching means less wear on your clutch and trans, but it takes some practice. Knowing speed vs. gear is more important and necessary in order to rev match.
Old 02-05-2015, 04:57 PM

If you ever feel that you can't blip enough for higher RPM downshifts, what I found that helped was to blip, followed by a slight 'pulse' of the gas pedal to keep the RPM from dropping too quickly (those forward jolts always hurt).

I tend to use this technique when approaching an on-ramp (60 km/h in third), when downshifting into second just before the bend. Shifter SHOULD go in like butter with little-to-no jolting.

Old 02-05-2015, 05:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Unklerara second gear can do over 100kmh in an SSTC. You never played around with NLS before? Need to NLS right before redline you should know second does 100kmh+. Use your RPD for proper km/h, the needle on the dash lags behind quite a bit. Can't trust it.
Old 02-05-2015, 05:23 PM

Received 132 Likes on 109 Posts
Nope, definitely NOT a good idea to downshift to second when second doesn't even hit 60mph But ya your right. It's extremely helpful knowing the speed ranges for each gear at each 1000rpm increment. For example, if your doing 60kph (sorry murica), in third gear, your roughly around 2000rpm. To rev-match smoothly, you need to know what RPM second gear spins 60kph at (about 3200). So you clutch in, blip the throttle to get the engines speed up to the proper RPM for the lower gear at speed (3200), and clutch out. If you do it smooth enough, you don't have to let the clutch out slowly. It's actually harder to do it properly if you are holding the clutch in too long, because you are allowing the engines RPM's to dip every moment you're clutched in. I started trying this at the beginning of last summer, and its made my driving so much more enjoyable. Took a few months of practice to really nail down. It's still a bit of a challenge, but its very confidence inspiring when you do it perfect! lol
2nd gear hits over 60
Old 02-05-2015, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Shanedude
Unklerara second gear can do over 100kmh in an SSTC. You never played around with NLS before? Need to NLS right before redline you should know second does 100kmh+. Use your RPD for proper km/h, the needle on the dash lags behind quite a bit. Can't trust it.
No TC. No NLS. No RPD. lol... I have an LSJ not LNF. But even the LSJ can apparently do 67 in second... I'll be damned! I thought it was just a hair under 60. I try to stay away from redline. Slamming into the limiter unexpectedly can definitely pucker you up! haha
Old 02-05-2015, 10:27 PM

Still wouldn't want to downshift to 2nd if I was going anywhere close to 60
Old 02-06-2015, 08:20 PM

I see what you guys are talking about road speed and engine speed! I think I concentrate too much on the RPM's and getting it as close to 3,200 on the blip now though, but I'll get it with practice. So far as I get better at smoothing everything, I'm really enjoying manual. It really is a whole different driving experience, as my buddy said.

One more question, when OP said, "When you're coasting at over 1,500rpm in all Cobalts except the SS/TC (2,250rpm in 1rst-4th, or above 1,250rpm in 5th for the SS/TC), the engine uses NO fuel and shuts off the injectors (Credit to Stamina!). When you downshift, you'll keep the engine spinning above these speeds and thus use much less gas", does coasting mean when you're clutched all the way in and blipping to your desired RPM's?
Old 02-07-2015, 01:48 AM

Coasting means not pressing any pedals. For the fuel shut off, you need to be in gear. The higher the revs, the more you'll slow down.
Old 02-07-2015, 02:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SSTC has fuel cut off for sure. Ideally you want to use the clutch as little as possible. If you're sitting at a red light wait till the last moment to clutch in, try never to have it held in as much as possible. But don't feel bad if you need to, as in winter driving. If you're in bumper to bumper traffic it's a bitch on the clutch hard to avoid without a dude cutting in front.
Old 02-12-2015, 07:56 PM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
T/C has fuel cutoff but I dont find it works much... it works best in 5th gear I found and only when its REALLY reving high in other gears, my old 2.4 cut the gas far more often for longer.

I've gotten extremely good at rev matching my car now since driving it so much, I can actually downshift smoother than upshift, I downshift to lights all the way to first gear, almost make a game of it.
Old 02-13-2015, 11:47 AM

I know rev-match heel-toe downshifting is smoother an faster than upshifting for sure!

Do the LNF's hang on to rev's as bad as the LSJ??

Waiting for the damn rev's to fall is what makes upshifting slower than downshifting, lol.
Old 02-13-2015, 12:46 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I know rev-match heel-toe downshifting is smoother an faster than upshifting for sure!

Do the LNF's hang on to rev's as bad as the LSJ??

Waiting for the damn rev's to fall is what makes upshifting slower than downshifting, lol.
You don't need to heel-toe unless you're coming into a turn hot, and it's very hard to master.
Old 02-13-2015, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by footballplaya3k
You don't need to heel-toe unless you're coming into a turn hot, and it's very hard to master.
This is true.... but it makes me feel like a bad ass so I do it anyway
Old 02-17-2015, 07:52 PM

Am I the only one here learning manual? Lol... So here's an update on my progress. Ive really gotten the hang of taking off in first, the sensitive 1st to 2nd switch and I am learning how speed correlates with each gear's RPM. Ive pretty much eliminated all the jolts in downshifting, but I know Im doing something wrong. Everytime I quickly blip the throttle to bring it up to the RPM's I want for example 2000--->3200, the engine revs and people look at me like im an idiot. Also, I dont see how this downshifting helps me stop. Let's say Im approaching an intersection in 3rd, I drop down to 2nd, Blip the RPM's and that does nothing to slow me down, so I always have to brake pretty hard to slow down.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That's where heel toe comes in.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:47 AM

down shifting isn't going to stop you, or even slow you down fast. when stopping you're going to need brakes usually, but if you down shift early enough, it'll slow you down a lot. Say I'm coming to a light and I'm in 3rd going 40mph, I personally will let it get to around 35mph then down shift to second With 50yards or so till the light. You'll notice the engine brake, and it will slow you down enough to where you can down shift into first and then you won't have to use you're brakes a lot. But you will still need them to stop unless you have a lot of room from the light.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:50 AM

Also, when you rev match and blip the throttle the car will rev. you might be revving it a little high if people are looking at you though. If you do it correctly you won't notice any jerk and it will feel super smooth like an automatic.
Old 02-18-2015, 01:18 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
No TC. No NLS. No RPD. lol... I have an LSJ not LNF. But even the LSJ can apparently do 67 in second... I'll be damned! I thought it was just a hair under 60. I try to stay away from redline. Slamming into the limiter unexpectedly can definitely pucker you up! haha
Right? They got all the goodies.
Old 02-18-2015, 04:09 PM

Personally I avoid downshifting to slow down unless I'm coming down a big hill. Brakes are easy to replace relative to clutch or worse. Rev-matching would avoid wear, but it's more effort than just using the brakes.
Old 02-18-2015, 05:26 PM

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts
Personally I avoid downshifting to slow down unless I'm coming down a big hill. Brakes are easy to replace relative to clutch or worse. Rev-matching would avoid wear, but it's more effort than just using the brakes.
You can downshift with no wear without rev matching if you time your shifts properly. 4th at idle, 3rd at idle, etc.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:15 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
X2. Just use the brakes.

Quick Reply: Driving Manual Tips