Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   General Cobalt (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/general-cobalt-68/)
-   -   Mobil 1 vs. Royal Purple (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/general-cobalt-68/mobil-1-vs-royal-purple-75783/)

ssnick87 09-11-2007 11:08 AM

Mobil 1 vs. Royal Purple

I am coming up to my first oil change on my SS Cobalt, and I am debating between Mobil 1 and Royal Purple. Any opinions or suggestions?

Thanks,
Nick

ideas1 09-11-2007 11:18 AM

Mobile 1, its has worked well for me.

syP 09-11-2007 04:08 PM

Royal purple technically is a better oil...

but either one will do fine.

Old Man 09-11-2007 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by syP (Post 1437314)
Royal purple technically is a better oil...

but either one will do fine.

Why would you say Royal Purple is technically better??

Mobil one owns certain patents for additives that make Mobil One what it is and the only oil used and or covered for usage in its SC cars.

Royal Purple is like a coagulant, it clumps particles together, which is a good thing, so the filter can remove them, the bad part, filters clog faster. It was designed, TRUE ROYAL PURPLE as a race only oil, the street stuff without the coagulant properties is no better than the non Mobil One Syns.

fballman1987 09-11-2007 04:37 PM

i think there is an amazing thread about this, someone jsut search and youll find it it has really great information about both in it.

xCobalt05x 09-11-2007 04:47 PM

there is a dyno video on the royal purple site of them using the so called "street" stuff w/ the use of their transmission fluid on a camaro and it freed up 9hp at the wheels.

Also before anyon throws out some myths about it. I have asked the myth question at the royal purple site "If i use royal purple do i always have to use royal purple?" and they got back to me saying "No, that is a myth. You can switch back and forth with any oil you want at any time".

Just thought this info might help you in your choice

HunterKiller89 09-11-2007 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by xCobalt05x (Post 1437490)
there is a dyno video on the royal purple site of them using the so called "street" stuff w/ the use of their transmission fluid on a camaro and it freed up 9hp at the wheels.

Also before anyon throws out some myths about it. I have asked the myth question at the royal purple site "If i use royal purple do i always have to use royal purple?" and they got back to me saying "No, that is a myth. You can switch back and forth with any oil you want at any time".

its more of a "once you switch to synthetic, you have to stay synthetic" thing....but since the ss has synth stock, thats not theissue

yellow_cobalt 09-11-2007 11:50 PM

ive used both, and in my saturn i did notice a certain "free" feeling from the engine with royal purple. it just felt nice and smooth. the only oil i truly felt was better, but for my old saturn, was pennzoil/quaker state. with the use of royal purple and mobil 1, i burned oil. if i used quaker state, it didnt burn oil.

now in the cobalt, im running mobil 1. if i had the money, id run royal purple. but hell i get mobil 1 5 quart jug for less then $18. my next venture is with amsoil, but at $8-$10 a quart, i think ill wait for the hefty paycheck.

bykryder83 09-11-2007 11:54 PM

royal purple by far i reccomend or ams oil

pdub 09-12-2007 10:00 AM

it is all the same. i run walmart oil and my cars have 250K+ miles on them no problem. Hah, no wonder the oil companies make so much money, thanks to you folks trying to run so called racing oil in an economy car.

Onyxd04Redline 09-12-2007 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Old Man (Post 1437363)
Why would you say Royal Purple is technically better??

RP - Group 4
M1 - Group 3

There's your answer right there why it is better. RP goes in all of my cars.

R&C_rallySS 09-12-2007 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by xCobalt05x (Post 1437490)

You have to remember, they never told us what oil the Camaro had before. We don't even know if it was fully synthetic either. They could of been using regular motor oil and switched to Royal Purple. So of course they would of got a gain switching to fully syn. Honestly, IMO Mobil 1 is the way to go because that is what GM recomends...:twothumbs

Evilfrog 09-12-2007 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by pdub (Post 1440548)
it is all the same. i run walmart oil and my cars have 250K+ miles on them no problem. Hah, no wonder the oil companies make so much money, thanks to you folks trying to run so called racing oil in an economy car.

There's a difference in oil requirements between the 2.2 and the 2.0 supercharged engine.

My06Kobalt 09-12-2007 04:45 PM

ROYAL PURPLE. I used Mobil 1 before i found about about Royal Purple. I did the research and RP is better overall.

Old Man 09-12-2007 05:59 PM

Can Royal Purple say this?

Manufacturers' Choice
Mobil 1® is standard equipment in some of the world’s finest production vehicles. Car manufacturers rely on Mobil 1 motor oil for the first oil in a new car, otherwise known as “factory fill.”
Mobil 1 Chosen as Factory Fill for all 2008 Cadillacs - Mobil 1 has been selected by Cadillac as the factory fill motor oil for its 2008 Cadillac Escalade and DTS models, making Mobil 1 standard equipment in every new 2008 Cadillac vehicle that rolls off of the production line.

Welcome to the Family - The Acura RDX joins the roll call of performance vehicles filled with Mobil 1 at the factory. Read why Mobil 1 is perfect for the turbocharged RDX engine, and how it ranked against competitive motor oils when tested against Acura's tough new standard for motor oil.

Mobil 1 is factory fill in:

* Acura RDX
* Aston Martin
* All Bentley Vehicles
* Cadillac CTS, CTS-V, Escalade, XLR, XLR-V, SRX, STS and STS-V
* Chevrolet Corvette C6 and Z06
* Chevrolet TrailBlazer SS
* Chrysler 300C SRT-8
* Cobalt SS S/C Coupe
* Dodge Caliber SRT-4, Charger SRT-8, and Magnum SRT-8
* Jeep Cherokee SRT-8
* Mercedes-Benz AMG Vehicles
* Mercedes SLR
* Mitsubishi Evolution
* Pontiac Solstice GXP
* All Porsche Vehicles
* Saturn Ion Red Line and Saturn Sky Red Line
* Viper SRT-10

High praise that speaks louder than words.

Want more info??

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

SmOKe JeNsOn 09-12-2007 06:31 PM

Yea but the thing is how much did mobil 1 they pay to be able to get there name on those brands. The gm recomends it because mobil 1 paid enough money to get there name on the oil cap

Deersniper17 09-12-2007 06:35 PM

screw mobil 1 and def dont use royal purple......i hate it with a passion...i work for a multi national company who for a few years decided to only run royal purple and now they are def paying for it with broke down vehicles.....AMSOIL-100%

G3RG 09-12-2007 06:46 PM

mobil 1

Old Man 09-12-2007 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by SmOKe JeNsOn (Post 1442517)
Yea but the thing is how much did mobil 1 they pay to be able to get there name on those brands. The gm recomends it because mobil 1 paid enough money to get there name on the oil cap

Not one cent unlike Amsoil and other brands!!!!

Onyxd04Redline 09-12-2007 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Old Man (Post 1442420)
Can Royal Purple say this?

Manufacturers' Choice
Mobil 1® is standard equipment in some of the world’s finest production vehicles. Car manufacturers rely on Mobil 1 motor oil for the first oil in a new car, otherwise known as “factory fill.”
Mobil 1 Chosen as Factory Fill for all 2008 Cadillacs - Mobil 1 has been selected by Cadillac as the factory fill motor oil for its 2008 Cadillac Escalade and DTS models, making Mobil 1 standard equipment in every new 2008 Cadillac vehicle that rolls off of the production line.

Welcome to the Family - The Acura RDX joins the roll call of performance vehicles filled with Mobil 1 at the factory. Read why Mobil 1 is perfect for the turbocharged RDX engine, and how it ranked against competitive motor oils when tested against Acura's tough new standard for motor oil.

Mobil 1 is factory fill in:

* Acura RDX
* Aston Martin
* All Bentley Vehicles
* Cadillac CTS, CTS-V, Escalade, XLR, XLR-V, SRX, STS and STS-V
* Chevrolet Corvette C6 and Z06
* Chevrolet TrailBlazer SS
* Chrysler 300C SRT-8
* Cobalt SS S/C Coupe
* Dodge Caliber SRT-4, Charger SRT-8, and Magnum SRT-8
* Jeep Cherokee SRT-8
* Mercedes-Benz AMG Vehicles
* Mercedes SLR
* Mitsubishi Evolution
* Pontiac Solstice GXP
* All Porsche Vehicles
* Saturn Ion Red Line and Saturn Sky Red Line
* Viper SRT-10

High praise that speaks louder than words.

Want more info??

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

:lol:

And Quaker State is recommended by ferrari for the F430 :lol:

RP is better. Been proven in so many tests.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/foru...e=0#Post982823

red06s/c 09-12-2007 08:45 PM

I run rp in my ss/sc, and it runs really good after a oil change

Mnatvyc1223 09-12-2007 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by fballman1987 (Post 1437437)
i think there is an amazing thread about this, someone jsut search and youll find it it has really great information about both in it.

i dunno if it's my thread ur talking about, but i did one about this a while ago, it has some really good info, i use royal purple it's good stuff, it is deffinately a better oil. it felt like it made a difference in the way of smoothness for my engine, just try it you wont hurt the engine, and dont believe the hype about anything other than Mobil 1 voiding ur warranty, it's all bullsh*t.

Onyxd04Redline 09-12-2007 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Mnatvyc1223 (Post 1442928)
i dunno if it's my thread ur talking about, but i did one about this a while ago, it has some really good info, i use royal purple it's good stuff, it is deffinately a better oil. it felt like it made a difference in the way of smoothness for my engine, just try it you wont hurt the engine, and dont believe the hype about anything other than Mobil 1 voiding ur warranty, it's all bullsh*t.

Anyone who says that anything but M1 will void the warranty is a moron and should be banned on the spot.

I just had my IRL in for a new belt since the last was slipping and i specifically told the tech i run RP and he agreed with me that it was the better oil. M1 is all a marketing gimmick. Old version of M1 was awesome but they changed it and it now sucks.

ssritz 09-12-2007 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by yellow_cobalt (Post 1439382)
ive used both, and in my saturn i did notice a certain "free" feeling from the engine with royal purple. it just felt nice and smooth. the only oil i truly felt was better, but for my old saturn, was pennzoil/quaker state. with the use of royal purple and mobil 1, i burned oil. if i used quaker state, it didnt burn oil.

now in the cobalt, im running mobil 1. if i had the money, id run royal purple. but hell i get mobil 1 5 quart jug for less then $18. my next venture is with amsoil, but at $8-$10 a quart, i think ill wait for the hefty paycheck.

Actually I use amsoil and I think by far is the best oil out there. I used it for a total of
22k on my last car and it was a light brown both times I changed it . I got it for $80 dollars and that includes two 45 micron oil filter. The oil is good anywhere from 15000 to 25000 depending on your driving but I allways change it 12k cause that is the recomened oil filter change. I know you guys are going to call it BS but I haven't had a problem with it. My last balt was ss/sc and I changed the oil twice on it. She had about 29000 when she was stolen.

kovich14 09-16-2007 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by pdub (Post 1440548)

yep, you've got it all figured out