General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

No bypass valve or blow off valve temporarily okay or not?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 04:55 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by leemanfor
are you dumb?

1st. the whole point of a BPV is for emissions and most people dont like that noise. MAF tuned cars need the air recirc'd back to the intake.

2. It is 100% fine for turbo. My OEM BPV fluttered in 5th gear in my Cobalt, it flutters in my Subaru. no BPV can vent the air fast enough.
sounds like you're describing yourself bud.

bypass valves have nothing to do with emissions.

A blowoff valve (BOV), dump valve or compressor bypass valve (CBV) is a pressure release system present in most turbocharged engines. Its main purpose is to take the strain off the turbo when the throttle is suddenly released
MAF engines don't always need the air recirculated, you can put the bov before the MAF on a blow through, if its a draw through maf, or the bov is after the maf on a blow through then yes it needs to be recirculated back for it to run right.

blow off valve "flutter" is a real thing, and yes that will not do anything to do the turbo. the flutter people are talking about without a valve will damage the turbo over time.

typically blow off valves flutter when they are too big for the application, or not very much air. with the right sized bov it will go PSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. with a huge bov on a small application it will probably go pshhhh a little then flutter, or only make some weird fluttering noises. like if you have a small enough turbo that you can spool a little revving in neutral the bov will make a flutter noise, but under load at full boost it will go make a loud psssh

wastegates also make fluttering noises if they are external and not routed back into the exhaust

running a bov will also keep the turbo spinning and ready to build boost after a gear change, as well as not damaging the turbo from compressor surge

i've build many many turbo cars, trucks, diesels, quads, motorcycles, etc....
Old 04-21-2018, 05:02 PM

diesel ricers call it "bark" its retarded

this is real compressor surge because of not having a blow off valve.
Old 04-22-2018, 07:33 AM

Received 316 Likes on 296 Posts
I honestly like my "someone kicked a dog" noise that my factory bpv makes. Although getting back to boost faster would also be nice. Op I hear the efr's flutter a lot to maybe you can save for one if that's what you are looking for.
I honestly don't like drawing attn to my car and am ok with people thinking it's not a turbo car. Easier to hurt feelings that way.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 63 Nova SS
I honestly like my "someone kicked a dog" noise that my factory bpv makes. Although getting back to boost faster would also be nice. Op I hear the efr's flutter a lot to maybe you can save for one if that's what you are looking for.
I honestly don't like drawing attn to my car and am ok with people thinking it's not a turbo car. Easier to hurt feelings that way.
i think I decided on getting an upper charge pipe from zzp with a flange and a tial q bov and using a stiffer spring so it flutter at lower psi and doing a maf relocate regardless id have to do this eventually because I’m planning on doing a turbo upgrade to a borgs warner s257 sxe probably latter this year
Old 04-22-2018, 08:53 PM
Banned

Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts
OP, you will be fine. You aren't gonna grenade your turbo and its 100% fine.

Last edited by user 72239; 04-22-2018 at 09:01 PM.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:29 AM

I'm done with this moron.

OP, you will be fine. You aren't gonna grenade your turbo and its 100% fine. Don't listen to diesel bro who doesn't know what the **** a BPV actually does.
Since I'm a moron every turbo engine I've built was wrong, garret turbos is dumb, and everyone else in the world is wrong.

Why don't you explain to everyone how a blow off valve / bypass valve works. And what its purpose is.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:35 AM

I think you're confused about what the op was asking anyway. He asked if it's ok to remove his blow off valve so he could get the compressor surge noise.

Op the answer is you can do it and it might not damage the turbo or shorten its life. But the blow off is there for a reason.

Sounds like he did the right thing and bought a bigger / adjustble bov to get the flutter noise out of the bov and not the compressor surge noise from the turbo
Old 04-23-2018, 06:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Johnny Bliss
I think you're confused about what the op was asking anyway. He asked if it's ok to remove his blow off valve so he could get the compressor surge noise.

Op the answer is you can do it and it might not damage the turbo or shorten its life. But the blow off is there for a reason.

Sounds like he did the right thing and bought a bigger / adjustble bov to get the flutter noise out of the bov and not the compressor surge noise from the turbo
still haven’t bought it but that’s the plan in these next few weeks planning on running the tial q from zzp along with there upper charge pipe and there lower charge pipe for the maf relocate, open to other suggestions thou such as better location for the maf or it that’s fine or a different bov and I do plan on tuning for it for sure
Old 04-23-2018, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Eddy1634
still haven’t bought it but that’s the plan in these next few weeks planning on running the tial q from zzp along with there upper charge pipe and there lower charge pipe for the maf relocate, open to other suggestions thou such as better location for the maf or it that’s fine or a different bov and I do plan on tuning for it for sure
I run a turbosmart supersonic with an adjustable spring. Maf relocate is on lower pipe and block off plate on turbo. My tuner says it's kind of a PITA to tune but it works. Thinking of going back to a forge bpv this season...photo603.jpg
Old 04-23-2018, 11:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Eddy1634

yeah relocate the MAF to the lower pipe and run the TIAL on ZZPs upper.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:08 PM

Received 417 Likes on 341 Posts
bringing up compressor surge is a red herring since it would be the wastegate that affects that, not bov/bpv.
personally I wouldn't intentionally create turbulence with a journal/floating bearing turbo but whatevs.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by exninja
bringing up compressor surge is a red herring since it would be the wastegate that affects that, not bov/bpv.
personally I wouldn't intentionally create turbulence with a journal/floating bearing turbo but whatevs.
this is not correct.

compressor surge can happen when throttle is closed suddenly after WOT without a way to release the pressure

compressor surge happens:

1. turbo is too big, too much air for head to flow air is getting backed up.
2. no bov/bpv turbo is moving tons of air suddenly can't because throttle is closed

ive never personally seen #1 but see #2 all the time with diesel engines because a traditional bov isn't usable, never really seen anyone build a turbo setup on a gas engine without a bov or bpv and all turbocharged cars come with them now
Old 04-23-2018, 01:29 PM

wastegate flutter. wastegate is not routing into exhaust and you can hear it venting off exhaust to control boost

bov flutter. free revving in neutral with small turbo, not moving enough air to make PSH noise, just flutters. you can see at the end when he revs its higher it actually makes the PSH sound because of the amount of air

real compressor surge from no BOV/BPV. its hard to find an example of this on a gas engine because everyone who ISN'T RETARDED runs a blow off valve
Old 04-23-2018, 01:32 PM

there is a reason why diesel **** tards blow so many ******* turbos.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:35 PM

to get a BOV equivalent for a diesel they're over 600 bucks and is electronically controlled to release the pressure
Old 04-23-2018, 01:36 PM

guess these guys are also dumb

The Turbosmart BOV controller is an electronic device which controls the pressure signal to the BOV. It works by detecting a negative voltage change in throttle position. It then energises a solenoid to vent all of the air out of the BOV cap, causing a pressure differential between the piston of the BOV and the cap which will vent pressure from the intake system.
Large diesel engines with larger turbochargers can experience compressor surge when coming off the throttle. The deceleration of the engine can be a restriction on the outlet of the turbocharger causing compressor surge. This can be disastrous on a turbo system which is producing high amounts of boost. The BOV controller can vent this build up of pressure, protecting the turbocharger. This can reduce the amount of rebuilds on your turbocharger as well as improve acceleration between gears.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:37 PM

everything that i have seen on the interwebs about the difference is that the first video is "compressor surge" and the others are "turbo flutter." most of the time they don't even differentiate between the two. regardless, it's all the same phenomenon, the only difference is that the subie was doing it under load and the rest were due to release of the throttle. all of them are caused by the compressor wheel spinning faster than the fluid can move, creating high turbulence. i don't have either and i prefer to keep it that way.
the reason diesels don't have a bpv/bov is because there's no throttle plate and they don't produce much vacuum. normally it's not an issue at all but my guess is the momentum of the large turbo is carrying it past the laminar flow rate and making the flutter noise. my dad's little TDi doesn't have either a bpv or bov and also doesn't flutter.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:39 PM

it's not about being dumb, but you also have to look at the fact that they are selling BOV's. Like I said, I don't want the extra loads on my bearings, even if they're small. if I had a ball bearing turbo, i might not care as much.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:40 PM

everything that i have seen on the interwebs about the difference is that the first video is "compressor surge" and the others are "turbo flutter." most of the time they don't even differentiate between the two. regardless, it's all the same phenomenon, the only difference is that the subie was doing it under load and the rest were due to release of the throttle. all of them are caused by the compressor wheel spinning faster than the fluid can move, creating high turbulence. i don't have either and i prefer to keep it that way.
the reason diesels don't have a bpv is because there's no throttle plate and they don't produce much vacuum. normally it's not an issue at all but my guess is the momentum of the large turbo is carrying it past the laminar flow rate and making the flutter noise.
the first video was the wastegate opening and closing rapidly to control boost. that was not turbo noise.

turbo flutter is a ricer term that means absolutely nothing. a ******* could be referring to the noise and has no idea where its coming from, all they know is "turbo" so its "turbo flutter"
Old 04-23-2018, 01:42 PM

it's not about being dumb, but you also have to look at the fact that they are selling BOV's. Like I said, I don't want the extra loads on my bearings, even if they're small. if I had a ball bearing turbo, i might not care as much.
all turbocharged cars come with them from the factory for a reason, its turbo longevity.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:45 PM

https://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbo...mpressor_surge

A. The surge region, located on the left-hand side of the compressor map (known as the surge line), is an area of flow instability typically caused by compressor inducer stall. The turbo should be sized so that the engine does not operate in the surge range. When turbochargers operate in surge for long periods of time, bearing failures may occur. When referencing a compressor map, the surge line is the line bordering the islands on their far left side. Compressor surge is when the air pressure after the compressor is actually higher than what the compressor itself can physically maintain. This condition causes the airflow in the compressor wheel to back up, build pressure, and sometimes stall. In cases of extreme surge, the thrust bearings of the turbo can be destroyed, and will sometimes even lead to mechanical failure of the compressor wheel itself. Common conditions that result in compressor surge on turbocharger gasoline engines are:

-A compressor bypass valve is not integrated into the intake plumbing between the compressor outlet and throttle body
-The outlet plumbing for the bypass valve is too small or restrictive
-The turbo is too big for the application
FAQ Category:
Turbo
FAQ Question:
Q. What is compressor surge?
Old 04-23-2018, 01:50 PM

Old 04-23-2018, 01:51 PM

now that i think of it my old conquest TSI would surge after i put a boost controller on it and jacked up the boost. on the stock boost setting it would not.
conquest tsi = no bov or bypass stock

Last edited by Johnny Bliss; 04-23-2018 at 05:03 PM.
Old 04-23-2018, 02:02 PM
Banned

ex, its no use arguing with dieselbro. the entire world calls it turbo flutter but thats ricer to him.
Old 04-23-2018, 02:06 PM

Only ricers call compressor surge flutter. You can't even decide where you think the noise is coming from.

Quick Reply: No bypass valve or blow off valve temporarily okay or not?