Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   General Cobalt (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/general-cobalt-68/)
-   -   Reverse lockout question (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/general-cobalt-68/reverse-lockout-question-145210/)

2.2blckbalt 12-04-2008 01:32 AM

Reverse lockout question

Been lurking the forums for awhile but this is my first post so hello.

Sorry for being a complete noob but what exactly is reverse lockout?

I THINK it is something you have to lift up on located on the actual shifter.
Or is like if I'm in 5th gear and pull straight down the shifter gets pushed over to 4th rather than going straight down into reverse and screwing up my car.

Could someone clarify please?

I have an '05 base model Cobalt if it matters.

THANKS!!!

Sharkey 12-04-2008 01:45 AM

the reverse lockout is to prevent you from going from 5th gear directly to reverse. gm does it by a manual peice on the shifter were you have to lift up to move the shifter over to reverse.

EmperorJJ1 12-04-2008 01:45 AM

its the lil piece you have to pull up to go into reverse

2.2blckbalt 12-04-2008 02:00 AM

Did it come stock on every Cobalt?
Cause I've never had a piece I had to pull up.

EmperorJJ1 12-04-2008 02:32 AM

i think so... If its a manual. then maybe not i dont know really. Do you have the stock shifter/knob?

Acey 12-04-2008 02:39 AM

No. Your car does not have it. Only F35 has it, that is, SS/SC and SS/TC. The F23 does not, that is, 2.2 and 2.4.

EXsoccer1921 12-04-2008 02:41 AM

you don't have it. but both things you said are pretty much correct. its there to "lock" you out of reverse unless you pull up.

2.2blckbalt 12-04-2008 02:46 AM

Acey I think your more along the lines of what I was thinking.

In my car I cant pull straight back from 5th into reverse.
I assume thats a feature from GM.
Do I need to concern myself with that when I purchase a short throw shifter?

I was planning on buying a Cosmo STS unless anyone can convince me to spend 2x the money on a TWM.

Originally Posted by EXsoccer1921 (Post 3163602)
you don't have it. but both things you said are pretty much correct. its there to "lock" you out of reverse unless you pull up.

So wait, they're both versions of reverse lockout???????????
On mine I cant pull from 5th directly to reverse.
I like that.
If I insall a new short throw shifter will it screw with that feature???????????????????????????????????????

EXsoccer1921 12-04-2008 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by 2.2blckbalt (Post 3163611)
Acey I think your more along the lines of what I was thinking.

In my car I cant pull straight back from 5th into reverse.
I assume thats a feature from GM.
Do I need to concern myself with that when I purchase a short throw shifter?

I was planning on buying a Cosmo STS unless anyone can convince me to spend 2x the money on a TWM.

it doesn't really matter what you buy cause you don't have reverse lockout. and why are you trying to go from 5th to reverse anyways:thumbsdow???

Originally Posted by 2.2blckbalt (Post 3163611)
So wait, they're both versions of reverse lockout???????????
On mine I cant pull from 5th directly to reverse.
I like that.
If I insall a new short throw shifter will it screw with that feature???????????????????????????????????????

no, i'm saying you can't go into reverse no matter where the shifter is untill you pull up on the release. but in a 2.2 it doesn't matter cause there isn't a "lock out" mechanism like there is on the f35

2.2blckbalt 12-04-2008 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by EXsoccer1921 (Post 3163617)
it doesn't really matter what you buy cause you don't have reverse lockout. and why are you trying to go from 5th to reverse anyways:thumbsdow???

LOL not going from 5th to reverse and I like it that way.

So what your saying is if I buy a Cosmo STS and install it and try to pull straight down it's still gonna push me over into 4th gear?

no, i'm saying you can't go into reverse no matter where the shifter is untill you pull up on the release. but in a 2.2 it doesn't matter cause there isn't a "lock out" mechanism like there is on the f35[/QUOTE]

So what is stopping me from accidently going from 5th to reverse?

Hey EXsoccer has pretty much answered all my questions on this via pm.
GO ahead and lock this thread up.
Thanks ALL!

EmperorJJ1 12-04-2008 03:13 AM

isnt the answerer something about the rotation of the gears, reverse always going backwards making it improbable for them to actually catch when moving forward

Acey 12-04-2008 09:02 AM

What stops you is A) common sense and B) the fact that you should only be in 5th at like 50 mph and the gear won't engage.

StraussiE WousiE 12-04-2008 10:06 PM

on a 2.2 it actually mechanically stops you from going into reverse from 5th. But thats it. You can go to neutral, then reverse, if you so failed enough. But on the shift pattern, when you pull the stick straight back from 5th, it forces the lever to move left, as if there was a small jut from the side. Nothing like a lockout, but it really does prevent accidental reversing.

If your sitting still one day, put the lever in 5th, push it to the right, and pull back, you will feel it being forced to the left. I can only speak for my 2.2.

2.2blckbalt 12-04-2008 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by StraussiE WousiE (Post 3167133)
on a 2.2 it actually mechanically stops you from going into reverse from 5th. But thats it. You can go to neutral, then reverse, if you so failed enough. But on the shift pattern, when you pull the stick straight back from 5th, it forces the lever to move left, as if there was a small jut from the side. Nothing like a lockout, but it really does prevent accidental reversing.

If your sitting still one day, put the lever in 5th, push it to the right, and pull back, you will feel it being forced to the left. I can only speak for my 2.2.

Thats EXACTLY what I was trying to say but I think you explained it better.
If I install an STS it'll still do that right???

StraussiE WousiE 12-04-2008 10:12 PM

You will have to find out where the action of the stick moving comes from. Could be at the linkage. (doubt it) or could be towards the lever. who knows. I just know it does it.

papasmurf 12-04-2008 10:36 PM

I think I understand what ya mean. He is asking if getting a sts that HAS the lockout, affect him in anyway? I dont think it will, but someone else may be a bit more knowledgeable about it than I am.

redredred 12-04-2008 11:03 PM

I just wanted to say that i love the i'd hit it hippo