General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Shaking & vibrations.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 08:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Shaking & vibrations.

I have been dealing with shaking while driving for about a week now. It /feels/ like it's coming from the rear end. So far I have tried:

1. Getting tires re-balanced.
2. Checking air pressure in tires.
3. Checking the tires themselves for damaged treads or obstructions.

Honestly, the problem comes and goes by the hour. Sometimes I can hit 60 MPH and feel fine, other times do 60 on the exact same road and feel like the road is made of gravel. I also feel shaking in the gas pedal, so I checked the engine mounts. Seemed fine to me. (I'm no mechanic, but they looked pretty solid. No sign of rust, cracks, etc.)

It also does not shake when applying the brakes.

The only possible things I can think to do next is to rotate tires, check wheel hub bearings, and I guess control arm bushings. I have a slight clunk in the front passenger every now and again, but it's really quiet. I am not sure if it's related.

Also; I have all-weather tires and stock LSJ rims, as well as stock suspension.

Any help would be appreciated. Otherwise I'm burning cash taking it to my mechanic.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:45 PM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts
Find an open parking lot and go slow turning rack to rack in a circle in 1st gear and in reverse. Listen for clicking. If they click there is a decent chance it's the axles.
Old 07-11-2017, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by ECaulk
Find an open parking lot and go slow turning rack to rack in a circle in 1st gear and in reverse. Listen for clicking. If they click there is a decent chance it's the axles.
I'll give it a try. I know that there's a click in the steering wheel if I sit still and turn the wheel left to right. I assumed it was the steering rack.
Old 07-11-2017, 11:48 AM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts
It will be when you're moving not while turning the steering wheel.
Old 07-12-2017, 06:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you feel it in the gas pedal I would say it has something to do with the front subframe, control arms, rack and pinion. Could be something simple like a loose bolt or nut.
Old 07-12-2017, 06:09 AM

Received 316 Likes on 296 Posts
Brake caliper sticking off and on? Does it do it under braking sometimes? Slide pins on the back are notorious for causing the rear brakes to hang up.
Old 07-20-2017, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FoxTail SS
I have been dealing with shaking while driving for about a week now. It /feels/ like it's coming from the rear end. So far I have tried:

1. Getting tires re-balanced.
2. Checking air pressure in tires.
3. Checking the tires themselves for damaged treads or obstructions.

Honestly, the problem comes and goes by the hour. Sometimes I can hit 60 MPH and feel fine, other times do 60 on the exact same road and feel like the road is made of gravel. I also feel shaking in the gas pedal, so I checked the engine mounts. Seemed fine to me. (I'm no mechanic, but they looked pretty solid. No sign of rust, cracks, etc.)

It also does not shake when applying the brakes.

The only possible things I can think to do next is to rotate tires, check wheel hub bearings, and I guess control arm bushings. I have a slight clunk in the front passenger every now and again, but it's really quiet. I am not sure if it's related.

Also; I have all-weather tires and stock LSJ rims, as well as stock suspension.

Any help would be appreciated. Otherwise I'm burning cash taking it to my mechanic.
Have you inspected the half shafts?
Old 07-20-2017, 02:13 PM
Banned

Received 96 Likes on 91 Posts
Broken belts come and go... Usually worse after setting overnight.
Move the backs to the front to see if it moves.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:36 AM

Thanks for the replies, guys. I tried a few of the troubleshooting posted above but to no avail. I took it to my mechanic for a couple days and let him play with it. The wheels ended up being perfectly balanced while on a stand, but would wobble slightly when spinning quickly. He said 3 of the wheels were doing this. His guess is the rims. He checked out the front and rear suspension, as well as the axles. Said all was well and it's probably my wheels causing the issue.