General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Shifter Clunk

Old 12-28-2016, 10:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shifter Clunk

So, I was bored, and I don't believe I have asked before, but how smooth does the transmission in the 2.2 Cobalt shift. I haven't driven another Cobalt with a manual, so I'm not sure, but it seems like everyone that I let drive my car complains that it shifts hard. I've driven Hondas and Mazdas with a manual, and they all shift smoother than my car, but those are Asian cars. I took a video of me going through gears (Yea, the clutch is pushed in): https://goo.gl/photos/F39HKKUTqUySGMoU8. Hopefully, that link works for people. Let me know what you think! Also... every once and a while I get locked out of reverse until I shift into first and second or release the clutch and reapply it a few times.
Old 12-29-2016, 09:46 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
as long as it shifts without grinding, I wouldn't worry about it. the notchy shift is just the shift fork sleeve sliding over the synchro and onto the gear. you can try different fluids to see if itll smooth out the shifting. the cobalt is a cheap car made as cheaply as possibly. I haven't driven a 2.2 cobalt. and the reverse thing, I think the gears just aren't aligned enough to shift into certain gears. I've had that happen on more than one manual car more than one time. once in a while I cant get 1st at a stop. so I shift to second first, then it goes into 1st without an issue. only takes half a second so not a huge deal I think. shifting into a different gear I think moves the gearsets slightly, realigning them so the gear you want can be shifted into.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the reply! I'm happy it's nothing I really need to worry about. Like I said, I haven't driven many other manuals, a Civic with super smooth short throws, and a Mazda 2, which I'm pretty sure was somehow spring assisted, which was super easy and nice to drive, but nothing American. I figured it couldn't be too big of a problem anyways, as it's been doing it for 40,000 miles, just curious as to what it was.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:04 PM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
As for being locked out of reverse, that's common.

I usually have luck shifting to 4th gear, then to reverse.
Old 01-09-2017, 05:12 PM

Received 417 Likes on 341 Posts
My Integra was WAY worse about (not) shifting into reverse. As stated, going to 4th or 5th fixed it fine. My Cobalt (09 SS) is much smoother than the Honda was, but the Honda shifted a bit quicker (if that makes sense). The shorter throw of the SS also makes up for it. I don't throw it around the gears so I don't worry about it at all.

Search this Thread