General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

09 cobalt ss vvt

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 08:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09 cobalt ss vvt

Curently at the last step of my engine build but when i put the engine in time like service manual says and turn the engine over i get ALOT of slack in between my cam sprokets . what could it be ?? First time assembling cobalt engine. Could it be the wrong timing chain? Are some longer than others or the cam sprokets different.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:48 PM
Banned

Received 96 Likes on 91 Posts
Sounds like your tensioner didn't release.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:42 AM

Received 357 Likes on 318 Posts
You will get slack between the cam sprockets if the engine isn't running and the tensioner doesn't have oil pressure. An activated tensioner will remove some slack but there are certain positions where the exhaust cam snaps forward to resting position with intake cam in resting position and it moves the slack to in between the cam sprockets. I would make sure your tensioner is activated (some say this isn't necessary but I don't like the idea of firing up the engine for the first time without any tension on the chain, seems like it would be a good way to skip a tooth and get your timing off on first startup) and it should be fine.
Old 12-06-2017, 05:48 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I agree, if you are certain you were on your timing marks and the tensioner is released, youll be good.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:56 AM

Thanx for the reply guys really appreciate it really do. But Yea everything is were is suppose to be. Tensioner is the new revised one aswell and its being released. But im still thinking its too much slack between the cams. The motor is a vvt one 2.0. Just want to be sure 100% that is normal to have that much slack before starting it. Would a multi layer headgasket fix that issue the head and block was machined due to warpage i think 0.0020 on both cylinder head and block. Again thanx for the help guys
Old 12-09-2017, 11:56 AM

Thanx for the reply guys really appreciate it really do. But Yea everything is were is suppose to be. Tensioner is the new revised one aswell and its being released. But im still thinking its too much slack between the cams. The motor is a vvt one 2.0. Just want to be sure 100% that is normal to have that much slack before starting it. Would a multi layer headgasket fix that issue the head and block was machined due to warpage i think 0.0020 on both cylinder head and block. Again thanx for the help guys