General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Squeaks, Shifting, Brakes, and Steering Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Squeaks, Shifting, Brakes, and Steering Issues

Problem 1) Every time I step out of the car, the car squeaks very loud as the load of my weight (190 lbs) is taken off of the suspension. This is the ONLY vehicle that I have had that this happens with. Normal? Hope not, it is embarrassing.

Problem 2) Every time I let out the brake pedal, there is a squeak. So to clarify, my brakes do not squeak, I can do this either in motion or stopped, and sound is coming from outside the vehicle, and this does not happen when pressing the pedal but releasing it. Again, very embarrassing.

Problem 3) Some times it requires excessive force to shift into 1, 2 and sometimes 3. Never had a car that had this problem either.

Problem 4) My power steering wheel is getting louder everyday and makes a loud purrpurrpurrpurr noise when steering. I did not make this noise when I first purchased it.

Problem 5) It appears there is an exhaust shield that is making a tick tick tick noise as it cools down after I shut the car off. I test drove other cobalts, this is the first to do that.

EDIT 1:
Bonus: I just noticed that there isn't a light in my glove box. Did they seriously make a car without a light in there?

EDIT 2:
I guess I should have added, has anyone had these issues and had it fixed? If so, please chime in!

Last edited by pdub; 10-03-2007 at 01:31 PM.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:01 PM

your not alone, I have problems 2,3&4 with my ride too. I'd like to know the answers to these too.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:25 PM

my car does all of the same things! i have a 07 cobalt ls 5 speed, same as yours. i hate to tell you this, but they are pieces of ****. read my letter to chevy thread. i totally agree with you but everyone else on here will tell you that your stupid and that you car is perfect. i understand because i have the same car and it does all of those things, and them some! most of the people that post on this thread will say their car is perfect becasue they have the ss/sc!!!!!!they have no idea what we have to put up with!!!!!! sry for the rant, but it's true
Old 10-03-2007, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by pdub
Problem 1)
No.

Problem 2)
No.

Problem 3)
Yes, often. Get a Honda if you want a buttery shifter.

Problem 4)
No. Take it in; maybe its a warranty issue.

Problem 5)
They ALL do that. Its harmless.

Bonus: I just noticed that there isn't a light in my glove box. Did they seriously make a car without a light in there?
On an economy car? Sorry, no lights in the glovebox.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tkosmen
my car does all of the same things! i have a 07 cobalt ls 5 speed, same as yours. i hate to tell you this, but they are pieces of ****. read my letter to chevy thread. i totally agree with you but everyone else on here will tell you that your stupid and that you car is perfect. i understand because i have the same car and it does all of those things, and them some! most of the people that post on this thread will say their car is perfect becasue they have the ss/sc!!!!!!they have no idea what we have to put up with!!!!!!
Isn't there a Honda dealer or someplace where you can trade that POS in? You're killing our mojo here.

Old 10-03-2007, 02:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LethalSS
Yes, often. Get a Honda if you want a buttery shifter.
Honestly I've been told by 3 other people who have driven nothing but Hondas their entire driving careers that they MUCH prefer the shifter in the SS/SC to theirs.

As for the 2.2, it's a Getrag. They're much firmer shifters by nature. My friend has the 6-speed variant in her MCS. You can't slam gears in it like you can with the SS/SC shifter or a Honda shifter, you've gotta be precise with it.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:07 PM

Thanks everyone for the feedback so far. Boy, now I am starting to re-think my purchase. I've driven other economy class cars I was happy with them initially, including the cobalt. Not sure what to do. And I really feel like I am annoying the people at the dealership as I keep coming in with little problems like this. Am I wrong feeling that way?

Also, I don't know why the glove box light thing bugs me. Please correct me if I am wrong, but I remember being in another car of this class that did not have a light in there. Maybe I'll have to rig my own.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:21 PM

my tranny did that now i got a brand new one
Old 10-03-2007, 06:34 PM

My car is fine. i have no problems with it. I change the oil when its time... even the Tranny oil. ( Royal Purple only ) Of course i replaced the Hydrolic oil for the stearing and what not. I have a stage 2 kit with a K@N full air intake. Full Catback exhaust system including the high performance headers. It runs great. Maybe i got the good one out of the bunch. who knows. But if you havent had the car for very long and have those problems then there is a big problem with the manufature. But they stopped making them so bummer.

but with all that you are saying is going wrong... it does make me worried

Last edited by SS_45; 10-03-2007 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-03-2007, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by bogout
my tranny did that now i got a brand new one
May I ask if you could provide the documentation involved with that whole process? I would like to see the papers from the dealer and how the worked everything out so that if there are any issues with my dealer, I can say hey, look at this.

Originally Posted by SS_45
My car is fine. i have no problems with it. I change the oil when its time... even the Tranny oil. ( Royal Purple only ) Of course i replaced the Hydrolic oil for the stearing and what not. I have a stage 2 kit with a K@N full air intake. Full Catback exhaust system including the high performance headers. It runs great. Maybe i got the good one out of the bunch. who knows. But if you havent had the car for very long and have those problems then there is a big problem with the manufature. But they stopped making them so bummer.

but with all that you are saying is going wrong... it does make me worried
Well I am glad that a lot of other folks are having good luck so far. And I am a believer in this car still, just a weary one.

Please keep in mind that my car is a 2.2 LS, which is a bit different than SS/NA and SS/SC. That variable alone could affect the vehicle quality as well, perhaps.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:14 AM

1. Well, we all knew that these are economy cars when we bought them, c'mon don't expect lexus quality for a bargin bob's price.

2. No other way to say it, other then to say it, it's a chev. Chev isn't known in the auto industry for making great now pay attention here people ECOMOMY CARS. Read everything before you post a pissed off rant about nothing. Chev make great other products, but they are not known for there above par economy class. :

3. If your having issues, take the car back to were you bought it. Your new(er) car came with something called WARRANTY, everybody say it now W-A-R-R-A-N-T-Y. It's purpose is that if your experiencing problems, you can take the car back, get it looked at, FREE of charge.

4. I'll say this again, I can't stress this one enough, it's an ECONOMY CAR, want a ride that handles better, shifts smoother, and makes all the ladies melt? Trade for a porche, other then that, deal with it, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

End of rant.