Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   General Cobalt (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/general-cobalt-68/)
-   -   Is there any way to check the accuracy of our temp guage? (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/general-cobalt-68/there-any-way-check-accuracy-our-temp-guage-13332/)

Steeltown Pursuit 02-21-2006 06:18 AM

Is there any way to check the accuracy of our temp guage?

I'm curious to know if anyone knows how to check the accuracy of the temp read outs on the DIC.

I'm curious about the engine temp accuracy as well as the external temp accuracy.

I've always found specifically with the external temp that it's always 2-3 C above what I hear on the news. ie reading will say 3C when I hear the news say it will be around 0C.

any thoughts?

3fo893013L 02-21-2006 07:32 AM

Look at a bank with a temp gauge. Those are pretty far off (about 5 degrees farenheit) typically. It's because there sensor is in the shade.

The Cobalt DIC Outside temp reading is within I found about 1-2 degrees off.

The Cobalt DIC Engine temp is literally within 1 degree off from the real reading.

Steeltown Pursuit 02-21-2006 11:41 AM

So now that we know the outside temp is off, is there any way to correct it and make it more accurate?

can we relocate the sensor or change the computer to make it 1-2 degrees cooler? I find my outside time is 1-3 degrees C hot....

does anyone know where the outside temp sensor is? maybe the engine bay heat is affecting the reading?

any ideas?

3fo893013L 02-21-2006 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Steeltown Pursuit
So now that we know the outside temp is off, is there any way to correct it and make it more accurate?

can we relocate the sensor or change the computer to make it 1-2 degrees cooler? I find my outside time is 1-3 degrees C hot....

does anyone know where the outside temp sensor is? maybe the engine bay heat is affecting the reading?

any ideas?

I believe the sensor is not fitted to anywhere by the engine bay but I could be wrong. I would be bad to put it in a place that generates such heat.

silverSS 02-21-2006 12:40 PM

why mess with it, just leave it alone, who cares, its not a big deal, to me at least?

c7015 02-21-2006 12:52 PM

Becasue knowing the temperature, acurate to a degree is essential to carry out daily functions?

wes_woodbridge_ss 02-21-2006 01:04 PM

Buy a f****n thermometre and hang it from ur wing if ur that paranoid about a one to three degree range. Are u feeling ok?

freakaccident 02-21-2006 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by c7015
Becasue knowing the temperature, acurate to a degree is essential to carry out daily functions?

Um what daily functions do you do that you need to know the outside temp more accurately than +/-1-2*? A better question is if your job relys on that so much why on earth would you trust the DIC in your car? If you are some kind of engineer that must know temps outside to the degree I would think you would be smart enough to buy and accurate thermometer calibrated to the accuracy that your position requires.

Cobalt443 02-21-2006 01:59 PM

I have a digital outdoor temp. gauge at my house which is always right on with both, the local news and what the cobalt's gauge is reading

c7015 02-21-2006 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by freakaccident
Um what daily functions do you do that you need to know the outside temp more accurately than +/-1-2*? A better question is if your job relys on that so much why on earth would you trust the DIC in your car? If you are some kind of engineer that must know temps outside to the degree I would think you would be smart enough to buy and accurate thermometer calibrated to the accuracy that your position requires.

when I am being ultra sarcastic I need to know the exact temp, so I don't spoil the obviousness of my post

freakaccident 02-21-2006 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by c7015
when I am being ultra sarcastic I need to know the exact temp, so I don't spoil the obviousness of my post

I suppose I should have noticed that.

3fo893013L 02-21-2006 03:18 PM

:) haha