How to Guide For step by step “How to” instructions ONLY!

2.2 L61 Engine: How to: 2.2L SAI / CAI easy fix!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post How to: 2.2L SAI / CAI easy fix!

Cobalt30 and I ran into this issue today when we put my Injen 2.2L CAI in. I am one of those balts that has the SAI attached to his normal airbox. We got everything out and then realized we were screwed as the only intake being made to accommodate the SAI is by K&N and I had an Injen.

No diss intended to K&N but, I got a hell of a deal on this Injen intake and there was no way I was going to send it back and pay more for the K&N one.

For those of you wondering this is what the SAI looks like. It is a secondary hose that connects to the outside of the stock air intake. This is your enemy if you do not have an intake to support it.

So Cobalt30 and I went onto this site and found out that all the SAI does is pull in air and send it to the exhaust. So really theres no need to hook it back up, your only concern is that if you leave it open you could suck things up through it and send them to the exhaust.

Cobalt30 happened to have a mini breather filter that almost fit on the end of the tube. We tried to put it in and clamp it but it was too loose.

So we turned to the one thing that makes the automotive world go round, electrical tape!

After wrapping the end with some electrical tape it provided a snug enough fit to clamp on there.

Now all that was left to do is tie it off so its not bouncing around or hitting the engine or anything.

And voila, there you have it. No need to stress over not having an intake that will work with our funky 2007 setup. The breather will prevent anything from getting in there and the SAI is allowed to still do its job.

Last edited by TommyP; 10-03-2012 at 10:35 AM.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:44 PM

this doesnt throw any codes does it?
Old 12-11-2007, 10:46 PM

lol i said this in the very begining... all you need is alittle breather filter... but hey congrats and good job...
Old 12-11-2007, 10:52 PM

you know you can remove the upper tubing for the SAI and get that breather out of the engine compartment, right?
Old 12-11-2007, 10:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by roccityroller
you know you can remove the upper tubing for the SAI and get that breather out of the engine compartment, right?
shhh....
Old 12-12-2007, 12:15 AM

yeah, i did this last year. i didn't know that so many people were having a problem with this. i had no clue what an SAI was until a few days ago. I made my own intake outta pep boy pipe n bought a k&n filter. ummm a problem I had though, is that the plastic piping could rub against a pulley/belt in the serpentine assembly. i ended up cutting the plastic tube off and there is a rubber hose at the bottom of the plastic one. I clamped the breather onto that near the radiator and zip tied it. no problems. but this SAI is bullshit. driving to the middle of nowhere to get it removed. does anyone know how much the dealership charges to get rid of the SAI program?
Old 12-12-2007, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by elementality814
this doesnt throw any codes does it?
Nothing so far, been running over a month with it on there and no problem.

Originally Posted by sick06cobalt
lol i said this in the very begining... all you need is alittle breather filter... but hey congrats and good job...
Haha well if it was you we got the idea from thank you, I just took pics so people can see it.

Originally Posted by roccityroller
Yeah that will be a project for when its not 38 degrees out like it was that day. By that point both our hands were absolutely freezing so it was just like ok slap it in and zip tie it.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cobalt_driver
does anyone know how much the dealership charges to get rid of the SAI program?
well, you'd be bribing them to perform an illegal uninstallation...so depends how much of a boyscout the guy is...lol
Old 05-23-2008, 12:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cobalt_driver
yeah, i did this last year. i didn't know that so many people were having a problem with this. i had no clue what an SAI was until a few days ago. I made my own intake outta pep boy pipe n bought a k&n filter. ummm a problem I had though, is that the plastic piping could rub against a pulley/belt in the serpentine assembly. i ended up cutting the plastic tube off and there is a rubber hose at the bottom of the plastic one. I clamped the breather onto that near the radiator and zip tied it. no problems. but this SAI is bullshit. driving to the middle of nowhere to get it removed. does anyone know how much the dealership charges to get rid of the SAI program?
I still dont know what a SAI is
Old 05-23-2008, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by BULLETSSMOKE
I still dont know what a SAI is
It stands for Secondary Air Intake, it basically is a seperate tube running off some late model 07 cobalts that pulls air directly into the exhaust system. Its the seperate tube shown in my pictures above.

The trouble is theres only one intake that I know of that has a hookup for it, so its either spend the extra jacked up price for that one or do a bypass like I did.

I should mention, no CEL yet and have been running this since this was posted.
Old 08-11-2008, 01:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
doing this now as i install my GMPP!
Old 08-14-2008, 11:32 AM

by the way, i threw a code after 6hrs of driving, im gunna try to trouble shoot it. havent had the code read but i plugged the hole and now no code. very weird. im going to put the breather filter back on again and hopefully it doesnt throw a CEL in my face, but if it does im going to autozone and having it checked. ill keep this updated
Old 08-14-2008, 11:36 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by naturalhigh88
by the way, i threw a code after 6hrs of driving, im gunna try to trouble shoot it. havent had the code read but i plugged the hole and now no code. very weird. im going to put the breather filter back on again and hopefully it doesnt throw a CEL in my face, but if it does im going to autozone and having it checked. ill keep this updated
your code is probably p0171 which is not related to the sai. if you fart too loud, you will get a p0171 code. make sure everything is tight and installed properly, and then it's safe to delete.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by naturalhigh88
Weird, still no code from mine. Does the filter fit all nice and snug in there? Like I posted we had to add some electrical tape to get mine to fit well.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:12 PM

yea im gunna do that tonight or tomorrow morning before i go to the track. ill pull the negative off again and let it sit for 10-15 mins maybe itll reset itself. ill keep ya updated.