Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   How to Guide (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/how-guide-43/)
-   -   Appearance: how to change fog lamp bulbs. (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/how-guide-43/how-change-fog-lamp-bulbs-6264/)

cobaltsslvr 10-04-2005 12:56 AM

how to change fog lamp bulbs.

1. If you can put the car on a lift it makes it much easier.

2. The lamps are accessable by prying open the plastic panels on each side. Try to push or position your wheels front facing outward on the current side you are working on. There are approx 3-4 screws on each side, the passenger side having 1 or 2 more, and 2 "pull tab fasteners" (tm) on each side that need to be removed for access. It may look like you need to remove the entire wheel well for access but it is not necessary. Just keep unscrewing and unfastening until you can pull the panels apart to access the foglamps. try not to bend them to much or you might break them but don't be too concerned they are pretty durable.

3. Just like any other bulb, turn to release from the housing. Use a flat screwdriver or other flat thing to release the tab holding the h11 in. MAKE SURE NOT TO TOUCH THE GLASS ON THE BULBS OR THE OIL FROM YOUR FINGERS WILL BURN THROUGH THE GLASS!!! Reinsert the bulb and turn the opposite way to fasten it back in.

4. Repeat step 2 in reverse.

5. Enjoy fog lamps!

GotBoost? 01-18-2006 02:45 AM

thanks

WickedSS2005 01-18-2006 07:25 AM

Couldn't you just reach through the opening left by removing the headlight? I can see this being a possibility because, well, I spent a good 3 hours trying to take off, install, and re-install the wheel well and screws for my intake, not looking to do it again.

Dark-Fx 01-18-2006 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by cobaltsslvr
MAKE SURE NOT TO TOUCH THE GLASS ON THE BULBS OR THE OIL FROM YOUR FINGERS WILL BURN THROUGH THE GLASS!!!

Actually, the problem with touching the bulbs is that the oil will reflect the light internally, and cause a hot spot on the glass, which will more then likely cause the glass at that spot to melt and crack.

The oil itself won't burn the glass up.

R33P3R007 01-18-2006 09:46 AM

Do they make the H11 in hyperbright or whatever they call them?

05REDROCKET 02-18-2006 02:07 PM

Couldn't you just reach through the opening left by removing the headlight? I can see this being a possibility because, well, I spent a good 3 hours trying to take off, install, and re-install the wheel well and screws for my intake, not looking to do it again.
WICKEDSS2005

Yes you can i just did very easy just take note the position of the light socket when the bulb is tight and when you un screw it. makes it easier to screw back in. :cssNET:

samijo0703 09-22-2009 04:56 PM

sub'd i need to change my left fog lamp.. ugh doesn't look like any fun.

supercharged414 09-27-2009 11:56 AM

not to be a dick, but i find it much easier to remove the headlights and the headlight brackets. Its a total of 4 or 6 bolts and you have infinitely more space to work in.

thedude411 10-10-2009 05:22 AM

agreed its wayyyy easier to take the headlights out and then reach down. takes like 1 minute to do... minus u usually have to re-aim them after...

06SS ALL DAY 10-10-2009 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by Dark-Fx (Post 148218)
Actually, the problem with touching the bulbs is that the oil will reflect the light internally, and cause a hot spot on the glass, which will more then likely cause the glass at that spot to melt and crack.

The oil itself won't burn the glass up.

wow dood. either way the fucking bulb gets burnt out by the oil from the finger. To the OP good write up dood. and perfect disclaimer. no need to change anything

samijo0703 10-10-2009 11:53 AM

well from personal experience next time (for the driver side) i think i'm going thru the wheel well... air horn gets in the way. (thank god for little hands)

however the headlight has plenty of room for those people with big hands. lol

boomhauers_07G5 10-13-2009 08:58 PM

if no body minds me askin but i put a gt bumper on my g5, the question i would like to know is how easy is it to remove the whole fixture and re-install? damn i feel like a noob.... lol