How to Guide For step by step “How to” instructions ONLY!

Electrical: How To: Factory Cruise Control and Remote Radio Control Installation (2007- 2010)

Old 03-03-2010, 12:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by blu3_v1p3r
It is a very simple swap... takes 2 minutes... for real... Its as easy as taking the airbag out disconnecting it, then taking off one nut that holds the wheel on and the doing the reverse to put the new wheel on... takes 2 minutes...

Also your installer is an idiot... because he can do it, he's just to stupid to realize that the wheel is the same thing jus one is leather wrapped... I suggest installing things yourself, if you dealer is that dumb.

Also the air bag will not throw a CEL.. CEL=Check Engine Light. If the air bag is fucked up it will show up on the DIC as Service Airbag Soon, and the Safety Restraint System light will be lit up. Just taking the air bag out will not mess it up, and you will not get a SRS Light.

no my installer said if it was him he wouldn't even care. he knows its the same wheel. he was saying he wouldn't care if it was leather he was saying its just something if i wanted it. he said he wouldn't do it if it was his car because he wouldn't care if the wheel was leather or not. i wanna do it because the wheel is sick.

i may do it after i lower and get my gmpp exhaust
wheres the best place to order from
morad auto parts?
Old 03-03-2010, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
salvage yard would be cheapest.
btw with that gmpp exhaust bend the mounting bracket to move the front muffler up twards the floor .
Old 03-03-2010, 06:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ford sucks
salvage yard would be cheapest.
btw with that gmpp exhaust bend the mounting bracket to move the front muffler up twards the floor .
wait what?
i would bring it to my installer to get installed.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Cobalt08LS
wait what?
i would bring it to my installer to get installed.
there is a exhaust hanger by the first muffler(closest one to the cat) you would want to bend it down so the muffler moves closer to the floor of the car and farther from the ground.
i am lowered 1.5 inches and i had to raise the muffler the same amount and i still hit it on the ground and before i changed it i ripped open 2 of the mufflers
Old 03-04-2010, 02:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The airbag works on the leather wheel fine. GM doesn't have a leather wrapped airbag for the cobalt of any year, so they all use the same airbag.
Old 03-07-2010, 12:51 PM

I have read this whole thread 2 times over... I still need someone to help me out...

I have a Canada market 2009 Cobalt LS, automatic, aircon, cd radio (not mp3) .

What part numbers do I want to order to make my steering wheel cruise control and radio control. I am fine spending a couple extra bucks to avoid going to salvage yards (no cobalts in salvage ards where I live)

I am also unsure what steps can be avoided in the orignal posted DIY. It seems that with ordering parts, you dont need to run wires...and this is a plug and play mod ????

Could someone PLEASE help me out ... I really appreciate it
Old 03-07-2010, 03:54 PM

I have searched this site high and low... no posts can answer my question. I really hope someone can share some info for me
Old 03-07-2010, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Cobalt08LS
im in the process of getting this weel
just seeing if morad will sell me it for 150 since i have a ebay giftcard for 25 bux so that would only mean i have to spend 125 on it
good luck, if ur talking about the 09 wheel and column they would not budge for me and I bought the whole interior from that car.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by crazydude
I have read this whole thread 2 times over... I still need someone to help me out...

I have a Canada market 2009 Cobalt LS, automatic, aircon, cd radio (not mp3) .

What part numbers do I want to order to make my steering wheel cruise control and radio control. I am fine spending a couple extra bucks to avoid going to salvage yards (no cobalts in salvage ards where I live)

I am also unsure what steps can be avoided in the orignal posted DIY. It seems that with ordering parts, you dont need to run wires...and this is a plug and play mod ????

Could someone PLEASE help me out ... I really appreciate it
Since you don't have MP3, audio controls may not work. You'll have to check the harness on the back of the radio.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:51 PM

Considering nobody can offer insight... should I assume I am going to be the first person to attempt this on a 2009 base model LS cobalt?

I just wish I knew what parts to order so I am not wasting money
Old 03-08-2010, 07:09 PM

Considering nobody can offer insight... should I assume I am going to be the first person to attempt this on a 2009 base model LS cobalt?

Check Pin61 of the BCM (Should have a grey wire) and the radio harness for the audio controls. If you have these wires, then it is just a direct steering wheel and control swap. If not, you'll have to run a few wires. It is detailed on the first page.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:42 PM

nighthawk243, some people had said they simply did a plug and play... no wires had to be ran. Any idea what years these are?
Old 03-08-2010, 10:22 PM

nighthawk243, some people had said they simply did a plug and play... no wires had to be ran. Any idea what years these are?
Generally it is 05/06 that needs wires ran, but since your trim level is very low (You indicated you don't have a MP3 capable HU) you should check to make sure you have the wires before purchasing everything. If you don't have the wires, you will need to add the necessary pins and run the wires like the first post shows.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:21 PM

thanks nighthawk243... I have ripped apart my nice new car, I have no wire on PIN #61 on "bcm-2" connector (the left hand side connector...the one with the white background label in the pictures from the orignal post)

With that said... is it safe to assume I have to follow the whole guide?

I have sourced a steering wheel with cruise control... I dont want a leather wrapped one, so I am going to rob it for parts. I dont have a way to get the pins used thru-out this DIY... any part numbers you can share? i dont mind paying retail for them

One more question... when i run the two wires in from the back of the sir connector...do I have to wrap them around the sir coil ??? i didnt notice this step mentioned at all

Last edited by crazydude; 03-08-2010 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-08-2010, 11:26 PM

saved for later, i could really use cruise control.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:03 AM

thanks nighthawk243... I have ripped apart my nice new car, I have no wire on PIN #61 on "bcm-2" connector (the left hand side connector...the one with the white background label in the pictures from the orignal post)

With that said... is it safe to assume I have to follow the whole guide?

I have sourced a steering wheel with cruise control... I dont want a leather wrapped one, so I am going to rob it for parts. I dont have a way to get the pins used thru-out this DIY... any part numbers you can share? i dont mind paying retail for them

One more question... when i run the two wires in from the back of the sir connector...do I have to wrap them around the sir coil ??? i didnt notice this step mentioned at all
Since you're missing that pin, then yes, you'll have to run your own wiring. GM didn't do the wires for you. You will have to remove the clock spring and add the pins into the slots mentioned in Step 2 for the cruise. You don't have to wrap the wires around the clock spring, you only need to add the necessary pins to the clock spring in the slots that correspond with the hanress on the steering wheel. You do not have to touch the harness on the wheel you bought, these are already wired correctly.

For your audio controls, you can add the pins mentioned in Step 3 to the back of the SIR connector like you did for the cruise wires, and then run those wires to the radio connector as described in the first post.

Just read the original post very carefully and let it soak in and reread it a few times until you can get the gist of it much better. It is something that is hard to wrap one's head around very quickly if you're not exactly familiar with electrical wiring. Plan it out if you need to.

For the pins, there are no part numbers on them. Try seeing if you can find a salvage yard that has a Cobalt, G5, HHR, Malibu or other newer GM cars and see if you can get ahold of the radio and bcm connectors with the wires attached. Then you can just unlock those connectors and pull the pins out. I personally have not had to run my own wires for this, so I am not sure what size you'll actually need if you would go to radioshack or order them through Digikey.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:29 AM

i done it on my 09 and whoever is thinking of paying 150 is nuts. i paid 85 shipped from schramm
Old 03-09-2010, 08:25 AM

nighthawk243 ... i cant grasp of why i dont need to wrap my new wires around the clock spring... I picture the wheel turning and snaping the wire. I am sure it will make sense once it is all ripped apart.

I am not going to do the radio controls... unless someone verifies they will work with a am/fm cd player (non mp3)

well... over the next couple of days I am going to get my parts. And I am going to atempt this in april when I have 2 weeks off of work. I would hate to screw up my car and miss work becasue I cant put it back together.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:14 AM

Does the fact I have a non leather wheel matter when I order these parts?
Steering Wheel Cover w/Cruise Control (Left) 15845807 this part is indicated as a leather part...

Cruise Control Switch (Buttons) 15942950 this part I can order with leather....or without leather.

Anyone have insight???
Old 04-08-2010, 11:33 AM

Most of these part numbers people are suggesting...are only portions of the actual cruise buttons according to the GM dealership by my place.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:38 AM

Well... I got all of the parts for my 09LS. They came from an 09 SS. I have not installed them yet. I am aiming for next weekend.

If anyone needs any kind of information about the parts, ex. part numbers on stickers, pictures of parts, colours of wires etc etc. Let me know.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:59 AM

thought radio control was plug and play.....in a 07
Old 04-24-2010, 03:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
went into work and did the cruise control and radio controls on my girls 09 ls....The cruise control works great, but did the radio controls and it kept automatically turning the volume up....damn it! Time to figure that out now haha
Old 04-24-2010, 04:46 PM

I am not going to do the radio controls...as I have a basemodel cd player (non mp3 player) ... let me know if you figure out anything
Old 05-02-2010, 06:53 PM

for anyone that read the post I had requesting advice more troubles... i solved the problem. The sir coil connector was not plugged in all the way.

Well, I have installed my cruise control. I am going to get the tech 2 flash sometime this week.

If anyone needs the connector wires/pins for the bcm or for the sir coil connector, let me know and I can mail you some. I have a whole bcm harness for spare parts. Something to keep in mind, is you can use the pins from your existing sir coil harness used on your stock info/enter button... so you really should'nt need any of those from me... the bcm harness pins you will still need.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Electrical: How To: Factory Cruise Control and Remote Radio Control Installation (2007- 2010)