How to Guide For step by step “How to” instructions ONLY!

Interior: How to: Easy+cheap fix for sticky door other latch issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 10:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to: Easy+cheap fix for sticky door other latch issues

I have heard of many folks having door latch issues: sticky and hard to close doors, or it sounds/feels like the door slams into something before finaly latching closed.

I have found the latches get misalligned very easily on our big heavy coupe doors. I honestly don't know the cause, maybe leaning on it.

The fix is essentially shimming the door hinges...

Tools: 10mm wrench, A friend to help manipulate/hold the door.

Materials: 1-2x packs of 1"ODx 13/32"IDx 1/16"thick nylon washers. $.92 for a pack of 4 at Lowes. 2 washers are used per hinge so if both doors need adjustment potentially 2 packs will be needed.

1) Determine how the latch is snagging: The door is either too high, too low or not far enough out and the latch must "strech" to close. look for signs of rubbing on the latch, latch frame and the catch on the door frame.

2) Shim the necessary hinge/s. if too low shim the bottom hinge, too high shim the top, and too shallow; shim both. Simply unscrew both bolts and pull the door out enough to make a gap between the door and the hinge place the washers in the gap and tighten the bolts.

tip: Remove only one bolt at a time and back the second out only far enough to slide the washer in. This will prevent torqing the door and ruining the door or hinge. Especially when shimming the top hinge!

I had to shim the bottom hinge on the drivers side and recently both hinges on the passenger side. Now both doors close with a satisfying single "THUD" and will latch closed so easily I can let go of the open door on a slight incline and the door will FULLY close if the motion can overcome the hinge stops.

If you feel a pic is needed I can try and get one. It's a pretty straight forward procedure. There is only one side of the hinges you can easily access, and you are pretty much staring at the bolts when you open each door, not much to get confused by.

Last edited by TommyP; 10-03-2012 at 12:58 PM.