How to Guide For step by step “How to” instructions ONLY!

Electrical: How to Replace Blower Motor Resistor (Get Back Fan 1-3)

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 04:53 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
How to Replace Blower Motor Resistor (Get Back Fan 1-3)

I lost settings 1-3 on my heater and AC fan a.k.a. your Blower Motor. All that goes wrong is a resistor we have was poorly made by gm and fails quickly in some occasions.

This will take about 10min MAX

Needs:
Hands
Flashlight
Possible tools to remove 2 screws

To replace simply go to any auto store and ask for a Blower Motor Resistor for your year/model.

If you pay anything past $40 your getting screwed, GM is like $55+

It's located on under the glovebox, however the glovebox need not be removed.
All the way against the firewall between a big circular plastic thingy is your resistor.

1. Unplug the wire harness from it, very straightforward.

2.Yours may have 2 screws that hold it in, mine did not. What held mine in was 2 clips, yes its a pain to get under there and yes the clips are difficult. Easiest way with the clips it to pop out the closest one, then the farthest one.

Simply take out the old one and put in a new one. Sorry about poor second pic, if you look closely there is a screw hole @ the top left and lower right of the part. It taken out will look like a thin card on a big plastic piece.

Now you will have All fan settings once again. YAY

Thanks,
Bratboy90
Old 11-12-2011, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow i wish i woulve known this a logn time ago i went an entire winter in england with no heater (FML!!!!11!ONE1!) and i just ordered a new blower motor probably for nothing if this is all that it was the whole time UGH!!
Old 11-12-2011, 06:38 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by flyy
wow i wish i woulve known this a logn time ago i went an entire winter in england with no heater (FML!!!!11!ONE1!) and i just ordered a new blower motor probably for nothing if this is all that it was the whole time UGH!!
If none of the blower speeds worked, the problem was not the resistor.

Even with a bad resistor, you will still have the HI (4) setting.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by 08SSTCRD
If none of the blower speeds worked, the problem was not the resistor.

Even with a bad resistor, you will still have the HI (4) setting.
This is ncot always true. A resistor that goes really bad will cut all speeds, its melts all connections and grounds out the fan. You would need to then replace your fuse and simply unplug the resistor and test. If you dont have a resistor in, you should only have fan 4 so long your fuse is good. If the fuse is good and resistor is unplugged and no fan 4 works, you do have a bigger problem.
Old 11-13-2011, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by bratboy90
This is ncot always true. A resistor that goes really bad will cut all speeds, its melts all connections and grounds out the fan. You would need to then replace your fuse and simply unplug the resistor and test. If you dont have a resistor in, you should only have fan 4 so long your fuse is good. If the fuse is good and resistor is unplugged and no fan 4 works, you do have a bigger problem.
ok ty but do i have to completely take out the resistor or can i just unplug it to test setting 4?
Old 11-13-2011, 03:37 PM

i havent lost any settings or anything but i have this loud noise comming from down there? could this be the cause? its like a clicking noise idk thats the best i can describe it. thanks
Old 11-13-2011, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by cole3883
i havent lost any settings or anything but i have this loud noise comming from down there? could this be the cause? its like a clicking noise idk thats the best i can describe it. thanks
No, it's the actual motor going bad. They run about $80 new.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Gelladuga69
No, it's the actual motor going bad. They run about $80 new.
131 with shipping :P i bought one already haha.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:11 PM

131 with shipping :P i bought one already haha.
Where'd you buy yours from?

Mine ticks on all speeds, so I plan on getting one soon.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
good post roger!
Old 11-13-2011, 05:33 PM

ok ty but do i have to completely take out the resistor or can i just unplug it to test setting 4?
You can just unplug and turn onto 4.

If you fan is making noise, this wont fix that. You will need a new blower or rebuild the current one somehow. Mine has a bearing going bad, prob has years left though.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:37 PM

I don't think its the actual motor though. Ha it stops once I hit the recirculate button. It's weird as ****
Old 11-13-2011, 09:50 PM

if anyone owned a sunfire or cavalier before there cobalt they will know this very well lol. my g5 its never gone out. my cavalier 2 times
Old 11-15-2011, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by G5GT2007
if anyone owned a sunfire or cavalier before there cobalt they will know this very well lol. my g5 its never gone out. my cavalier 2 times
I've had a Cavalier since '04, and it's an '04. No problems with it yet.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:43 PM

Where'd you buy yours from?

Mine ticks on all speeds, so I plan on getting one soon.
2006-2011 Chevrolet HHR Blower Motor - AC Delco 15-81101 - Natural
Old 11-15-2011, 03:55 PM

You can just unplug and turn onto 4.

If you fan is making noise, this wont fix that. You will need a new blower or rebuild the current one somehow. Mine has a bearing going bad, prob has years left though.
I've placed the relay, checked the fuses, replaced the control panel and the blower and it still does not work. The blower motor is some how not getting power idk whats causing it. I also tried disconnecting the resistor and putting it on 4 and nothing.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:48 PM

Fits Cobalt still?
Old 11-15-2011, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by G5GT2007
I had to change it on my 02 Sunfire. Also had it go out on the 99 Grand Am. Under Warranty.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:15 AM

Fits Cobalt still?
yeah fits all and it's bigger too so it will blow out more air.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:38 AM

Hello all,

I have a similar problem that I need advice on.

My climate control went out completely. I removed it from the dash and saw that the plug connected on the back controling the fan speed was melted so was the female end.
Also I realized the wires to that plug are all discolored the light blue one is discolored all the way to the blower motor resistor which I took out and saw that 2 out of the 4 teeth were slightly burnt.

I don't know how to check the fuse so I would appreciate some help with that as well as some help with figuring out what to do from this point.

I'm thinking my options are as follows:

Buy used climate controls off eBay for about $35

Replace wiring harness due to it being burnt and most likely unsafe to reuse. If I do replace the wiring harness were would I buy it at a low cost also would I need to replace the whole dash harness or can I somehow some where purchase just the climate control part?

Also I'm assuming I should replace the blower motor resistor since I originally had that problem of only being able to use speeds 1 and 4 just that I decided to ignore it. Probably what caused everything I'm facing now.

Aside from all that the fuse which I haven't checked

I would really apriciate Anyones help.

Thinking of calling the stealership opps i meant dealership tomorrow but really don't want to.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by Rrey0456
Hello all,

I have a similar problem that I need advice on.

My climate control went out completely. I removed it from the dash and saw that the plug connected on the back controling the fan speed was melted so was the female end.
Also I realized the wires to that plug are all discolored the light blue one is discolored all the way to the blower motor resistor which I took out and saw that 2 out of the 4 teeth were slightly burnt.

I don't know how to check the fuse so I would appreciate some help with that as well as some help with figuring out what to do from this point.

I'm thinking my options are as follows:

Buy used climate controls off eBay for about $35

Replace wiring harness due to it being burnt and most likely unsafe to reuse. If I do replace the wiring harness were would I buy it at a low cost also would I need to replace the whole dash harness or can I somehow some where purchase just the climate control part?

Also I'm assuming I should replace the blower motor resistor since I originally had that problem of only being able to use speeds 1 and 4 just that I decided to ignore it. Probably what caused everything I'm facing now.

Aside from all that the fuse which I haven't checked

I would really apriciate Anyones help.

Thinking of calling the stealership opps i meant dealership tomorrow but really don't want to.

so i fixed everything except now my blower motor when turned to speed 3 and 4 begins to sound like it is being given to much power because there is a weird LOUD humming and then when i drop the speed back down to 2 and 1 you still hear it.

let me try and explain this a bit better,
When i turn on the blower motor on speed 1 it sounds normal move it up to speed 2 sounds normal
move it up to speed 3 then i hear a loud abnormal humming move it up to speed 4 and it gets even louder

from there i drop it back down to either 1 2 but the humming continues but keep in mind it didnt sound weird like that until after speed 3 and now i have to completely turn of the blower motor and wait about a minute before i can turn it on again so i dont hear that weird noise on speeds 1 and 2.

If i turn it back on without waiting a min i will hear it.

Any ideas?
Old 07-24-2012, 12:15 AM

I lost settings 1-3 on my heater and AC fan a.k.a. your Blower Motor. All that goes wrong is a resistor we have was poorly made by gm and fails quickly in some occasions.

This will take about 10min MAX

Needs:
Hands
Flashlight
Possible tools to remove 2 screws

To replace simply go to any auto store and ask for a Blower Motor Resistor for your year/model.

If you pay anything past $40 your getting screwed, GM is like $55+

It's located on under the glovebox, however the glovebox need not be removed.
All the way against the firewall between a big circular plastic thingy is your resistor.

1. Unplug the wire harness from it, very straightforward.

2.Yours may have 2 screws that hold it in, mine did not. What held mine in was 2 clips, yes its a pain to get under there and yes the clips are difficult. Easiest way with the clips it to pop out the closest one, then the farthest one.

Simply take out the old one and put in a new one. Sorry about poor second pic, if you look closely there is a screw hole @ the top left and lower right of the part. It taken out will look like a thin card on a big plastic piece.

Now you will have All fan settings once again. YAY

Thanks,
Bratboy90
hey,

i just replaced mine with a red one from autozone but now my blower moter is making a weird noise any one have the same issue

the original resistor was black frm GM the 1 i used was red any ideas?
Old 08-12-2012, 10:09 PM

Any help, ideas guys?