How to Guide For step by step “How to” instructions ONLY!

A quick HOW TO on installing the RPD(UAF)

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 11:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wish I could just get the RPD and not the pillar so I could try and rig it to a sedan , I am pretty sure all you would need to do is dremel the sotck pillar and make your own bracket to hold it .
Old 08-26-2009, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just successfully installed this on my '08. Works perfectly. How do you change the readouts from meteric to US? Thanks 5hizn1t, your instructions where perfect.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:17 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by VRCobaltSS/TC
Just successfully installed this on my '08. Works perfectly. How do you change the readouts from meteric to US? Thanks 5hizn1t, your instructions where perfect.
It should change along with the DIC. Just change it in the DIC and the RPD will refresh and display in the selected units.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:28 PM

No go.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:33 AM

No go.
So is there any difference in part numbers US vs. Canada? I dont see why there would be, just a thought.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:09 AM

Same part number. I ordered the part numbers listed in this thread.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:20 AM

Mine switches to whatever you set the DIC to, so I'm thinking that there must be another wire that needs hooking up or something.

That's just weird that it doesn't switch. I can't think of what else it may be.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:59 AM

Maybe the software change in the '09's? Since this was not an option in '08 maybe the computer does not know to send a signal when the DIC is changed? Otherwise all of the readouts are working so it is definately getting the needed data off the GMLan.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:16 AM

Good idea. I agree that's a very real possibility.

Maybe Vince at Trifecta would be able to fix you up with a programming change to fix that.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:20 AM

Any pics of the display?
Old 08-27-2009, 11:20 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
oh sweet. sub'ed
Old 08-27-2009, 11:23 AM
Premium Member

Why wasn't this an option for the sedans? Can you install one on a sedan? Are the pillars the same?
Old 08-27-2009, 11:49 AM

Is the wiring harness the same on the SC's? has anyone tried this on a SC?
Old 08-27-2009, 12:00 PM

It is looks like this when done....

Old 08-27-2009, 01:32 PM
South Central *********

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
anyone done this on a 05-07 SS/SC yet?
Old 08-27-2009, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Cavalierssr
Why wasn't this an option for the sedans? Can you install one on a sedan? Are the pillars the same?
The only reason it isn't available for the sedans is becuase yes SEDANS pillar is different then the Coupes .. Coupes make up a majority of the SS Models ..

Thats why I said I wish I could get the RPD unit without the pillar so I could try and create custom pillars for Sedan guys who wanna run the RPD unit . It may also have something to do with a Sedan Visibility thing. They may have tried to figure out a place to put it and make a new pillar but it was just too much of a distraction taking up useful visibility through the windshield. Just a guess...

I was going to order a stock sedan pillar and use a dremel with some brackets and see if I can't just mount it that way .. I want this thing pretty bad but I hate rigging stuff .

The other option would be to cut the stock sedan pillar in half cut out the bracket part of the RPD pillar and Super glue it back to front ...

We will see if I end up getting it I will put up a How To rig RPD to Sedan .

For now it is a coupe only option ...

Originally Posted by JapEatr
anyone done this on a 05-07 SS/SC yet?
almost 100% psotive this DOESNT work on ANY SC .. The ECU's O/S on the SC is a completely different animal and wouldn;t know about the RPD even being installed so NO SS/SC RPD ..

Last edited by PrincessTurbo; 08-27-2009 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-27-2009, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by PrincessTurbo
The only reason it isn't available for the sedans is becuase yes SEDANS pillar is different then the Coupes .. Coupes make up a majority of the SS Models ..

Thats why I said I wish I could get the RPD unit without the pillar so I could try and create custom pillars for Sedan guys who wanna run the RPD unit . It may also have something to do with a Sedan Visibility thing. They may have tried to figure out a place to put it and make a new pillar but it was just too much of a distraction taking up useful visibility through the windshield. Just a guess...

I was going to order a stock sedan pillar and use a dremel with some brackets and see if I can't just mount it that way .. I want this thing pretty bad but I hate rigging stuff .

The other option would be to cut the stock sedan pillar in half cut out the bracket part of the RPD pillar and Super glue it back to front ...

almost 100% psotive this DOESNT work on ANY SC .. The ECU's O/S on the SC is a completely different animal and wouldn;t know about the RPD even being installed so NO SS/SC RPD ..
I'm betting they didn't do it on the sedan is because of the roofline or something. Maybe it causes the A-pillar to be at a different angle/length to where the RPD won't fit across it and still be at a viewable angle.

Why wouldn't it work on the SCs? People have been wiring these into OBDII on the TCs, so I would bet it'd work just fine on the SCs with the exception of if it doesn't have GMLAN or something.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:09 PM
Premium Member

I figured it had to be, because of the pillars. Dang, I really want this done too! Good luck! I really hope you can get it done.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:16 PM

yeah I thought this tapped off the odb2....My dashhawk works on both...with out mods so I bet this may "mostly" work on a SC...someone go try
Old 08-27-2009, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Stamina
I'm betting they didn't do it on the sedan is because of the roofline or something. Maybe it causes the A-pillar to be at a different angle/length to where the RPD won't fit across it and still be at a viewable angle.

Why wouldn't it work on the SCs? People have been wiring these into OBDII on the TCs, so I would bet it'd work just fine on the SCs with the exception of if it doesn't have GMLAN or something.
The same reason you can't read A/F Ratio with a S/C you have to get a second bung and run it off the DP .. It doesn't read A/F ratio off the OBDII on any S/C

SO yeah maybe a few things will show but why would you buy a 350 Dollar gauge just to SEE if it MIGHT work and display a FEW settings .. not worth it IMHO get yourself a interceptor . The DIC is what it runs off of also and I am sure they made a few changes to the DIC interface ..
Old 08-28-2009, 09:25 AM

Anyone in the Baltimore, Maryland area with a '09 with the RPD option that would be willing to let me hook up my RPD to their car for a few minutes to see if it will switch to US? Hopefully it would stay that way once disconnected.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:34 AM

Anyone in the Baltimore, Maryland area with a '09 with the RPD option that would be willing to let me hook up my RPD to their car for a few minutes to see if it will switch to US? Hopefully it would stay that way once disconnected.
After encountering what you did, I'd be interested in hearing if a non-RPD '09 can change it. That would root out if it's a DIC/software issue or something to do with the RPD interface.

At least it's not in Spanish too!
Old 08-28-2009, 10:17 AM

Hopefully 5hizn1t will chime in. He installed this on a '09 that originally did not have it.

Yeah, if I can't get this worked out than I will either have to learn Metric or move to Canada.

Last edited by VRCobaltSS/TC; 08-28-2009 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-28-2009, 10:46 AM

metric is the future
Old 08-28-2009, 10:52 AM

Metric's been the future for some time now.

It's like Dippin Dots... how long has it been the "ice cream of the future"?

Hopefully 5hizn1t will chime in. He installed this on a '09 that originally did not have it.

Yeah, if I can't get this worked out than I will either have to learn Meteric or move to Canada.
The funny thing is that a lot of the Canadians on here seem to be trying to swap their metric gauges for ones that read PSI.

Last edited by Stamina; 08-28-2009 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quick Reply: A quick HOW TO on installing the RPD(UAF)