How to requests and questions Please post your requests and questions for How to Guides.

Intall non-factory radio

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 08:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intall non-factory radio

I am about to install a non-factory radio in my 2009 Chevy Cobalt LT. I was wondering what all I need to install it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh forgot it's a double din radio.
Thank you
Old 10-18-2017, 09:56 AM

Received 357 Likes on 318 Posts
Originally Posted by Charles Robert Wimer
I am about to install a non-factory radio in my 2009 Chevy Cobalt LT. I was wondering what all I need to install it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh forgot it's a double din radio.
Thank you
Think you just need the adapter bracket. I have a 2006 LS that I installed an aftermarket single din radio and the guy at audio store tried to sell me a $100 adapter harness and said it wouldn't work without it. I ended up not using the harness or modulator or whatever it was and don't have any issues. I'm not really even sure what it is for but maybe it actually is a requirement in some Cobalts? Stock wire identification is probably online somewhere but you can figure out about all you need with a test light and a 1.5 v battery like a AA or AAA. I use the batter to tell which wires got to which speakers. If you connect the battery to speaker wires it will make the speaker it is connected to make a little boop noise. Just don't connect the battery to any hot wires lol.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:50 PM

So everything works fine even the door chime and all ?
Old 10-19-2017, 07:01 AM

Remember mine is a 2006 so yours may be different idk. I will confirm they work today but it honestly isn't something I think about much. Door chime only when lights are left on or key left in ignition correct? Even if it doesn't work is it that important of a feature to you?
Old 10-19-2017, 09:21 AM

Received 361 Likes on 308 Posts
The module also gives you turn signal sound and warning chimes when stuff pops up on the ipc. such as trunk open, e brake on, overheating, etc.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Kolt
The module also gives you turn signal sound and warning chimes when stuff pops up on the ipc. such as trunk open, e brake on, overheating, etc.
Come to think of it mine does still ding. Just the other day I remember it dinging from seat belt and that dinging being overridden by the blinker sound when I kicked it on.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know when i did mine for the 06 there was like a couple options I choose the cheapest one which they told me the chimes may not work but as far as i know they work in my car . It only matters I believe if you have onstart or what ever i think if you want to keep it
Old 10-25-2017, 01:26 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I’ve got a clarion in mine with the required harness and bracket but my turn signals sound like someone is tapping their nail on the dash lol. Other than that, I think all the other chimes are the same as stock. In order to make the signals sound normal, I needed a $200 module so I said screw it and got used to the sound. Just call your local car audio store and they can tell you what you’d need for whatever deck your going to use
Old 11-29-2017, 02:33 PM

I bought a non-factory double din radio and it powered on but no sound through the speakers. I hooked them up the right way negative to negative and positive to positive and still no sound. Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-30-2017, 08:44 AM

I bought a non-factory double din radio and it powered on but no sound through the speakers. I hooked them up the right way negative to negative and positive to positive and still no sound. Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
I'm going to guess that your speaker wires aren't actually hooked up correctly. Are you using an adapter of some kind or did you cut wires? You can test that the wires going to the speakers are correct with a AA or AAA battery. You connect what you think are the two wires going any speaker to each end of the battery and it should make a little boop noise. You can test the output on your radio with a voltmeter set on low voltage AC and it should pulsate with the music. Only thing you can do is test things out and see what it is working and what isn't and then from there make sure everything is making connection.