Go Back  Cobalt SS Network > Community > The Lounge
03-06-19 Wow its only Wednesday Workchat >

03-06-19 Wow its only Wednesday Workchat

The Lounge Off Topic PG-13. Introductions, cars, movies, work, relationships, etc.

Old 03-06-2019, 07:59 AM

Received 138 Likes on 118 Posts

Not even half way there yet.
Old 03-06-2019, 08:31 AM

Received 176 Likes on 169 Posts
Have my terminal crimper coming next day from Amazon and it started out in Colorado. Then they flew it to Louisville, KY for some reason. Now it's been flown back to Kansas and they are saying the package is delayed because of late flight. I don't know how their distribution is set up but doesn't make much sense to me why they would fly it to Kentucky in the first place.
Old 03-06-2019, 09:01 AM
Platinum Member

Received 447 Likes on 421 Posts
In
Old 03-06-2019, 09:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amazon has been dropping the ball for delivery lately for me as well. Not sure whats happening over there.
Old 03-06-2019, 09:35 AM

Received 394 Likes on 351 Posts
They're angry they couldn't get HQ2 in Queens
Old 03-06-2019, 09:53 AM

Received 193 Likes on 172 Posts
Amazon is one cargo plane short now so they might be struggling.

I've had similar issues with UPS and USPS so meh.
Old 03-06-2019, 09:57 AM

OR, it's probably flown by UPS. They have a hub in Louisville. They likely don't have enough consistent business to fly a dedicated flight from Denver to KS so there is a flight to the hub then a flight to KS. It's the classic hub-and-spoke model.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:18 AM

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Just like how so much runs through Memphis. If you mail anything here, it hits Memphis first almost all the time. Even if you are sending it somewhere across town.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:19 AM

Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
I would like to stop freezing as soon as I step outside...
Old 03-06-2019, 10:52 AM
Platinum Member

Received 344 Likes on 315 Posts
Originally Posted by jdbaugh1 View Post
Have my terminal crimper coming next day from Amazon and it started out in Colorado. Then they flew it to Louisville, KY for some reason. Now it's been flown back to Kansas and they are saying the package is delayed because of late flight. I don't know how their distribution is set up but doesn't make much sense to me why they would fly it to Kentucky in the first place.
I need to get me a legit crimper so I can stop soldering everything.
Old 03-06-2019, 11:09 AM

Received 38 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Slowbalt2000 View Post
Word is with racecar wiring, crimping is preferred because solder joints can create a brittle fatigue failure. Having the properly engineered crimper tool for the particular pins/terminals is essential, you can't just use vice grips. I have a trusty weller butane iron and plenty of shrink tube, it's cheap and easy to just solder the stuff in my world. From my RC stuff I will use the servo connectors, using the proper crimp tool it is pretty awesome, you're limited on the wire size so only good for signals. I dream of using mil-spec stuff, someday I will justify it.
Old 03-06-2019, 11:11 AM

Received 38 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Whiplash View Post
Amazon has been dropping the ball for delivery lately for me as well. Not sure whats happening over there.
Have you experienced USPS saying your package is delivered on the porch, but no one actually delivered it. Happened to me multiple times, rage inducing to say it was delivered. I setup a porch camera because it freaks me out that someone stole it off my porch even though it's USPS contractors being punks.
Old 03-06-2019, 11:30 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I get an amazon delivery today. Besides that though I have a question. My zzp BOV is 'delayed" I dont want to wait 10 days for it to come, what is a good BOV for the time being? Is there something cheap and universal I can run or should I really wait or just buy something that is quality and return the zzp when before it ships?
Old 03-06-2019, 11:43 AM

My favorite is my doorbell camera catching the delivery guy toss my new hard drive to the bottom of the door
Old 03-06-2019, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by steelmesh View Post
Have you experienced USPS saying your package is delivered on the porch, but no one actually delivered it. Happened to me multiple times, rage inducing to say it was delivered. I setup a porch camera because it freaks me out that someone stole it off my porch even though it's USPS contractors being punks.
No I have everything delivered to a retired family friend who is home all day, every day. But I like the idea of a porch camera. Also amazon has been good about sending out new items that don's show up. Its the delivery part that is the issue, which they contract out.
Old 03-06-2019, 12:00 PM

Word is with racecar wiring, crimping is preferred because solder joints can create a brittle fatigue failure. Having the properly engineered crimper tool for the particular pins/terminals is essential, you can't just use vice grips. I have a trusty weller butane iron and plenty of shrink tube, it's cheap and easy to just solder the stuff in my world. From my RC stuff I will use the servo connectors, using the proper crimp tool it is pretty awesome, you're limited on the wire size so only good for signals. I dream of using mil-spec stuff, someday I will justify it.
I have mixed feelings about that, I know soldering can crack when too much is used in a high vibration environment. For crimping to be long term the wires and crimp have to be perfectly clean and crimped within a very fine window as to not damage the wire but also not be loose and cause resistance issues. I tend to use both, ill "mesh" the wires together on the ends and twist them, then crimp the center and solder just the very middle of the crimp making sure the solder doesn't wick outside the crimp edges. So far that has not failed me to create a extremely low resistance and physically strong connection.
Old 03-06-2019, 01:05 PM

I used to be a "solder everything" and shrink tube type of guy because I think generic crimp coupler fittings are garbage. I still don't like them. However, not too long ago I discovered crimp coupler fittings that also have waterproofing heat shrink built in and I am a big fan. They also even have crimp fittings that incorporate shrink tube AND solder. They have an internal solder ring that when you heat properly/evenly/slowly the solder liquefies and solders the joint together along with the crimp. Those are very nice but expensive. I think when you are just splicing a wire you don't have to really worry about the fatigue of solder and both type of joints will be fine. However I find the heat shrink on the outside of the crimp fittings to be much tougher than generic shrink tube which also isn't necessarily water proof.

The crimper I am talking about is for a totally different kind of fitting that you can't solder. It is also the fourth crimper I have bought for this process because I have discovered you have to use die that is just the right size for the terminal you are crimping or it doesn't work very well. These type of connectors are called open barrel. Now when it comes to a fixed terminal transitioning into a wire I think that is where you will notice the difference rigidity of solder vs. the flexibility of a crimped connection because the wire is free to vibrate/move while the terminal is fixed and I know from experimenting that you only wiggle a fixed soldered connection back and forth a couple times before it breaks. Below are the types of crimped wire end terminals I am talking about.

The crimper coming into the mail today isn't anything fancy and you have to crimp the wire part first, and then the insulated part on a different part of the tool. Some of the fancier models do both at the same time but then you have to have all different dies or crimpers to do different sizes as what they work for is very specific. This Molex 63811-1000 is said to be very versatile with the ability to work with many different sizes of open-barrel terminals. I should know how well it works after this evening.

Molex 63811-1000

I also had to get a different crimper for the "closed-barrel" mil-spec connector terminals. I think they are sometimes referred to as Deutsch connector. Below is the ABN Deutsch closed barrel D-sub crimper I bought and for all two terminals I have crimped so far it works great.

Deustch pin-socket terminals

Old 03-06-2019, 02:40 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
I solder and heat shrinked my boat trailer wiring that gets submerged at least once a week in summer and no issues yet. Crimp would've failed a long time ago lol
Old 03-06-2019, 02:45 PM

Received 394 Likes on 351 Posts
If you really want a wire connection joint to never fail you need to do a lineman splice or a reef/square knot splice, it will out hold crimp and solder.
Old 03-06-2019, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by ECaulk View Post
If you really want a wire connection joint to never fail you need to do a lineman splice or a reef/square knot splice, it will out hold crimp and solder.
The way I mesh the wires together is similar to a lineman splice but using all the wires to mesh and lock together when twisted.
Old 03-06-2019, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Kolt View Post
The way I mesh the wires together is similar to a lineman splice but using all the wires to mesh and lock together when twisted.
That's the way I solder too. Put the wires together like shuffling a deck of cards then twist a solder.
Old 03-06-2019, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 154 Likes on 125 Posts
I need Powell to make parts for my next vehicle.
Old 03-06-2019, 03:31 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by chris88z24 View Post
I solder and heat shrinked my boat trailer wiring that gets submerged at least once a week in summer and no issues yet. Crimp would've failed a long time ago lol
Were talking about real crimps, not autozone stuff.

JD, I know what youre talking about with the weather pack terminal crimp stuff. I just want one that will join two straight wires with a metal crimp i can heat shrink over instead of soldering and making brittle spots in the wiring. Ive never had a solder joint fail on me though, just going for quick, easy, and strong.
Old 03-06-2019, 03:39 PM

Were talking about real crimps, not autozone stuff.

JD, I know what youre talking about with the weather pack terminal crimp stuff. I just want one that will join two straight wires with a metal crimp i can heat shrink over instead of soldering and making brittle spots in the wiring. Ive never had a solder joint fail on me though, just going for quick, easy, and strong.
You ever used any of these? 200pcs Heat Shrink Butt Connectors Terminals, Eventronic Insulated Waterproof Marine Automotive Copper Wire Electrical Kits (3 Colors 3 Sizes) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071L6VDLK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_W-cGCb7K7RS8A
Old 03-06-2019, 03:55 PM
Platinum Member

Are those the ones with glue on the inside? I have but not a ton.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 03-06-19 Wow its only Wednesday Workchat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.