Go Back  Cobalt SS Network > Community > The Lounge
03-20-19 Why is it Only Wednesday Workchat >

03-20-19 Why is it Only Wednesday Workchat

The Lounge Off Topic PG-13. Introductions, cars, movies, work, relationships, etc.

Old 03-20-2019, 07:53 AM

Received 138 Likes on 118 Posts

Only half way there? slow week
Old 03-20-2019, 07:57 AM

Received 393 Likes on 350 Posts
Seems like a long week for me too, feels like the weekend was so far in the past.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:04 AM
Platinum Member

Received 447 Likes on 421 Posts
In
Old 03-20-2019, 08:43 AM

Received 174 Likes on 167 Posts
Anyone have any experience with Chevy sequential central port injection and converting them to multi-port fuel injection? I have a 1998 Chevy 1500 with the 4.3L and am having some intermittent issues and wonder if the SCPI assembly is to blame as they are known to be problematic and my truck has 216,000 miles on it. Lately I have been getting an intermittent lean code and also a cylinder 5 misfire. The lean code happens while cruising low load in 5th gear. I have checked o2 sensor function and they seem fine and I don't think it's vacuum leak because the lean condition isn't consistent and it idles normally. The misfire only happens while going up a long steep hill when the engine is cold and it doesn't improve/worsen if I downshift. It also doesn't seem to be load based because if I am on the flat I can floor it with no misfires. It seems to have to do with the truck being oriented at an angle when the engine is cold. These two symptoms have me thinking that the line going to cylinder 5 poppet injector may be leaking. I'm thinking maybe on the flat that enough fuel ends up flowing to cylinder 5 to keep it happy but maybe on a hill, when the intake manifold is cold, the fuel that leaks out is flowing away from cylinder five which is causing a lean condition misfire. I'm assuming when the intake cylinder warms up the leaking fuel is more apt to vaporize. However from what I have seen most SCPI failures cause rich conditions so I may be completely off here.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:14 AM

Received 37 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by jdbaugh1 View Post
Anyone have any experience with Chevy sequential central port injection and converting them to multi-port fuel injection? I have a 1998 Chevy 1500 with the 4.3L and am having some intermittent issues and wonder if the SCPI assembly is to blame as they are known to be problematic and my truck has 216,000 miles on it. Lately I have been getting an intermittent lean code and also a cylinder 5 misfire. The lean code happens while cruising low load in 5th gear. I have checked o2 sensor function and they seem fine and I don't think it's vacuum leak because the lean condition isn't consistent and it idles normally. The misfire only happens while going up a long steep hill when the engine is cold and it doesn't improve/worsen if I downshift. It also doesn't seem to be load based because if I am on the flat I can floor it with no misfires. It seems to have to do with the truck being oriented at an angle when the engine is cold. These two symptoms have me thinking that the line going to cylinder 5 poppet injector may be leaking. I'm thinking maybe on the flat that enough fuel ends up flowing to cylinder 5 to keep it happy but maybe on a hill, when the intake manifold is cold, the fuel that leaks out is flowing away from cylinder five which is causing a lean condition misfire. I'm assuming when the intake cylinder warms up the leaking fuel is more apt to vaporize. However from what I have seen most SCPI failures cause rich conditions so I may be completely off here.
I did the spider injector upgrade on my 99' Silverado 4.3L with 190k miles, had a hard start issue forever and since it was a common failure I just did it, my CEL is on always so not sure if I had related codes lol. It wasn't that bad of a job on a fullsize (because disconnecting those fuel lines). The only bad part is buying that assembly.

Looks like the best deal is on rockauto $208 ACDELCO 2173028 {#89060439} GM Original Equipment; Includes Instructions for Conversion from Poppet-Style Injectors; Includes bracket

Did you do the intake gaskets yet?
Old 03-20-2019, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by steelmesh View Post
Did you do the intake gaskets yet?
I have not. I don't think it's been an issue yet. When it throws lean code I have high fuel trims like 18% -25%. Today my LTFT is steady around 8%. If it was vacuum leak you'd think it would be constant right?

Old 03-20-2019, 11:54 AM

I have not. I don't think it's been an issue yet. When it throws lean code I have high fuel trims like 18% -25%. Today my LTFT is steady around 8%. If it was vacuum leak you'd think it would be constant right?
Typically the intake gaskets fail at the coolant jackets, so you'd notice a loss of coolant with no leaks, then coolant in the oil. I agree a vacuum leak should be constant, but consider metal expansion too. Do the classic brake cleaner check to see if idle changes.

You should pull the distributor cap and inspect, may as well replace them both anyway if it's been a while. Since it is complaining about Cyl 5, try to visual the plug, otherwise swap plug wires if you got the slack to do it (swap at the cap too hehe).
The following users liked this post:
jdbaugh1 (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 11:58 AM

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
In... don't know what ive done but my left hip feels like its trying to pop out and my lower back has me crippled. Took me 2 hours to get a car out of my bay that should have only taken 30 min.
Old 03-20-2019, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Kolt View Post
In... don't know what ive done but my left hip feels like its trying to pop out and my lower back has me crippled. Took me 2 hours to get a car out of my bay that should have only taken 30 min.
Throw yourself down a flight of stairs...or just visit your Chiropractor they will pop it back into place in a more precise and controlled manner.
Old 03-20-2019, 12:12 PM

Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
In.
Old 03-20-2019, 12:28 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
In. Find a good chiropractor to fix your back. They are amazing.
Old 03-20-2019, 02:05 PM

I have a really good one and really need to be going about every other week but affording it is another story.
Old 03-20-2019, 02:47 PM
Platinum Member

Received 342 Likes on 314 Posts
Ive heard that going to a chiropractor kinda just makes you wanna keep going back, doesnt really fix anything unless you continue to go. I crack my own body fo free.
Old 03-20-2019, 03:02 PM

Do yoga.
Old 03-20-2019, 03:16 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ProfDNS View Post
Do yoga.
Love yoga, it is fantastic.

Originally Posted by Slowbalt2000 View Post
Ive heard that going to a chiropractor kinda just makes you wanna keep going back, doesnt really fix anything unless you continue to go. I crack my own body fo free.
Nah, its not something you get addicted to, but like with anything else your body needs "maintenance". You dont just change your oil once.
Old 03-20-2019, 03:24 PM

It depends on what kind of problem you have whether or not you need to go regularly or once in a blue moon. For me I need to go regularly because I was born with issues with my back and pelvis. I have lordosis and a laterally tilted pelvis.
People seem to get addicted to the feeling of relief afterwards so a lot of people go more often than they really need to. I only go enough to keep myself functional.
Old 03-20-2019, 04:21 PM
Platinum Member

I feel like there is only so much they can correct unless its just like a temporary bandaid and you have to keep going to stay aligned. Im sure I would enjoy it but I dont like to rely on things.
Old 03-20-2019, 04:28 PM

My personal opinion is that chiropractors are the tarot card readers of the medical world. I've seen them do more damage than good when people have serious injuries. I liken them to massage therapists.
Old 03-20-2019, 04:35 PM

My personal opinion is that chiropractors are the tarot card readers of the medical world. I've seen them do more damage than good when people have serious injuries. I liken them to massage therapists.
Massage therapy is the ****. Just don't go to a independent office, you can find one that has a governing board and they have to be top notch to stay in that practice.
Same with chiro. I nearly destroyed my left shoulder and rotator cuff from football, and after a year I had most of my mobility back.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:04 PM

Self-cracking is not the same. There is a reason Chiropractors get adjusted by other Chiropractors, because you can't self-adjust.

The reason you need to go back is because you never change your lifestyle and maintain old bad body habits. Also, for example you are sitting at max pain level 7 for years, then you start seeing a Chiro and after 5 visits your max pain is at level 1, then you stop going so then you're back up to max pain level 7 after 9-10 months. What is better, pain level 1 or pain level 7?

In college, I injured my lower back when I was doing auto repair out of the trunk of my car which ended that career. Years later after I graduated, I was a prototype crankshaft test tech, you got it I was lifting crankshafts all day. After a while with this work, my lower back pain kept getting worse to the point of seeking help. I was referred to see the Chiro a stones throw from my work (Goss Chiropractic). My insurance was so good, $30/month for unlimited visits. I went 3x per week for many months, it was so convenient and quick it was easy to make happen and it cured my lower back issues, going on 12 years now. At the same time, I never mentioned it, I could never look down in the mornings this was since I was in middle school, my neck was so stiff it wasn't possible. The doctor observed the issue in my neck without asking and recommended specific treatments for that. I no longer have a stiff neck in the morning.

I injured something in my neck last summer doing main bearing clearances, man handling the LE5 on and off the engine stand multiple times. It got really bad after one day, and I made it worse trying to do self-treatment the next day. Next day I would get very sharp pains depending how I moved or walked. I called in to work and searched for a Chiro. In near pain 9 at short intervals (10 reserved for baby makers), the new Chiro did the neck snapping adjustment (the scary one, hollywood neck breaker move), I did not feel pain from this adjustment. After 4 visits I was essentially fixed, little sore though. 2 weeks ago, my neck started to hurt again, I left it for a day and it got worse. I saw the Chiro and after just 1 adjustment, I felt much better and did not need to go back.

If I wasn't so invested in automotive engineering, I would chose to become a Chiropractor because I believe it works and I would enjoy helping people get better without using drugs and surgery, I'm a rebellious against the system type. Think about it, millions of people see Chiros everyday, and also consider out of the thousands of Chiropractors you're going to get a bunch of shitty ones just like any profession.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 154 Likes on 125 Posts
XTSV shopping and hot dogs tomorrow for lunch. Going to be a good day
Old 03-21-2019, 07:56 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by steelmesh View Post
Self-cracking is not the same. There is a reason Chiropractors get adjusted by other Chiropractors, because you can't self-adjust.

The reason you need to go back is because you never change your lifestyle and maintain old bad body habits. Also, for example you are sitting at max pain level 7 for years, then you start seeing a Chiro and after 5 visits your max pain is at level 1, then you stop going so then you're back up to max pain level 7 after 9-10 months. What is better, pain level 1 or pain level 7?

In college, I injured my lower back when I was doing auto repair out of the trunk of my car which ended that career. Years later after I graduated, I was a prototype crankshaft test tech, you got it I was lifting crankshafts all day. After a while with this work, my lower back pain kept getting worse to the point of seeking help. I was referred to see the Chiro a stones throw from my work (Goss Chiropractic). My insurance was so good, $30/month for unlimited visits. I went 3x per week for many months, it was so convenient and quick it was easy to make happen and it cured my lower back issues, going on 12 years now. At the same time, I never mentioned it, I could never look down in the mornings this was since I was in middle school, my neck was so stiff it wasn't possible. The doctor observed the issue in my neck without asking and recommended specific treatments for that. I no longer have a stiff neck in the morning.

I injured something in my neck last summer doing main bearing clearances, man handling the LE5 on and off the engine stand multiple times. It got really bad after one day, and I made it worse trying to do self-treatment the next day. Next day I would get very sharp pains depending how I moved or walked. I called in to work and searched for a Chiro. In near pain 9 at short intervals (10 reserved for baby makers), the new Chiro did the neck snapping adjustment (the scary one, hollywood neck breaker move), I did not feel pain from this adjustment. After 4 visits I was essentially fixed, little sore though. 2 weeks ago, my neck started to hurt again, I left it for a day and it got worse. I saw the Chiro and after just 1 adjustment, I felt much better and did not need to go back.

If I wasn't so invested in automotive engineering, I would chose to become a Chiropractor because I believe it works and I would enjoy helping people get better without using drugs and surgery, I'm a rebellious against the system type. Think about it, millions of people see Chiros everyday, and also consider out of the thousands of Chiropractors you're going to get a bunch of shitty ones just like any profession.

thats a pretty good testimony. i get lower back pain pretty bad sometimes probably from over exerting myself but it always subsides after some time. I guess im just too proud for it at this point in my life. I have good insurance though so maybe I should give it a shot.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:03 PM
Platinum Member

Received 447 Likes on 421 Posts
Same here I have a pretty weak lower back. Usually cant work to long on cars because I get pain. It gets better after a few minutes of stretching but yeah it sucks . I've never been to a chiropractor either