The Lounge Off Topic PG-13. Introductions, cars, movies, work, relationships, etc.

03-28-19 Thursday Workchat

Old 03-28-2019, 01:58 PM

Liked 162 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by exninja View Post
Convertible orange ZR1? Dude, I'm at work!
Yes and yes lol.

Old 03-28-2019, 02:00 PM

Liked 92 Times in 84 Posts
Exninja just locked himself into a bathroom stall for an hour.
Old 03-28-2019, 02:02 PM

Liked 21 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Kolt View Post
we just got a zr1 in the other day, ill post some pics and make you lust more Fair warning, its a convertible and orange

know the codes the volt set? I am the guy who works on them here. Actually just finished replacing the drive battery assembly with the updated design because we cant get a section for the original design. I can also check your warranty if your unsure about it. Volts are pretty reliable honestly, they do have a couple common issues but most are fixable with software updates.
It's under Voltec warranty, 2014 with 74k miles

1) Car disabled, will not move in drive or reverse
2) Centec scanner random luck it worked one time, showed P0AF8 - Hybrid Battery Voltage...and the generic P1E00 in the ECM
3) Towed to Dealer
4) Dealer said it was 12V battery, but 'not sure', quoted $330 to replace (AGM battery, lead 12V). Mentioned can reset by disconnecting 12V battery
5) Said Hell No, swapped the 12V battery in their parking lot with a new AGM, then drove it back home
6) Plugged in 220v charger, car disabled again, reset by disconnect 12V battery
7) Plugged in 120v Voltec charger, car disabled
8) Purchased VXDIAG with GDS2 clone
9) Read codes via [Vehicle Diagnostics} -> [Vehicle DTC Information] with clone software, exploded car caused a bizzilion U-codes (non communication), dash board and center stack flashing, several "anomalies"
10) Purchased used MDI, took it apart and confirmed it is the real thing. Also purchased new BCM.
11) Purchased legit GDS2 from acdelcotds.com
12) Read codes via [Vehicle Diagnostics} -> [Vehicle DTC Information], did not explode car no "anomalies", main code is P0AF8 (shows history code for loss comm. with BCM, from that damn VXDIAG garbage)
13) Returned VXDIAG
14) Using alldatadiy.com, followed troublingshooting steps for P0AF8
15) Stopped troubleshooting when it said something like "Check high voltage cable resistance....if okay replace on-board charger"
16) Towed to dealer, included clipboard with diagnosis steps and red pen marked up with notes as I troubleshooted
17) Explicitly explained to the service writer this is likely a warranty issue, and noted the previous steps above
18) 4-days later, no word from the dealer, just called an hour ago
Old 03-28-2019, 02:02 PM

The entire hood is carbon fiber and the center section is a shaker style and stays on the engine. So there is a huge hole in the hood when its open. Pretty sick looking but feels super fragile.
Old 03-28-2019, 02:03 PM

Liked 176 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by chris88z24 View Post
Is tax season over yet?
Crap, no. I still have to correct mine and file state.
Old 03-28-2019, 02:03 PM
Platinum Member

Liked 437 Times in 411 Posts
Damn that's nice!
Old 03-28-2019, 02:04 PM

Liked 176 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by ProfDNS View Post
Exninja just locked himself into a bathroom stall for an hour.
Would be true but Kolt posted a picture of the sticker. I'm fine now. Also i like the Targa better.
Old 03-28-2019, 02:10 PM
Platinum Member

Liked 437 Times in 411 Posts
Way to ruin it kolt!
Old 03-28-2019, 02:15 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That Z06 is amazing.
Old 03-28-2019, 02:19 PM

Liked 25 Times in 23 Posts
Crap, no. I still have to correct mine and file state.
Last year I had a company send me a tax form late, and ended up having to re-do my entire return AND pay extra for both federal and state.

This year I waited because I knew they were stragglers. Just filed last week.

Amended returns FTL.
Old 03-28-2019, 02:19 PM

Also, where's the video of that ZR1's exhaust note?!
Old 03-28-2019, 02:25 PM

Would be true but Kolt posted a picture of the sticker. I'm fine now. Also i like the Targa better.
Originally Posted by Snail_SS View Post
Way to ruin it kolt!
Sorry guys, I guess I should have posted that last to blue ball ya at the end of your scrolling.
Old 03-28-2019, 02:36 PM

Das Agressive
Old 03-28-2019, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by steelmesh View Post
It's under Voltec warranty, 2014 with 74k miles

1) Car disabled, will not move in drive or reverse
2) Centec scanner random luck it worked one time, showed P0AF8 - Hybrid Battery Voltage...and the generic P1E00 in the ECM
3) Towed to Dealer
4) Dealer said it was 12V battery, but 'not sure', quoted $330 to replace (AGM battery, lead 12V). Mentioned can reset by disconnecting 12V battery
5) Said Hell No, swapped the 12V battery in their parking lot with a new AGM, then drove it back home
6) Plugged in 220v charger, car disabled again, reset by disconnect 12V battery
7) Plugged in 120v Voltec charger, car disabled
8) Purchased VXDIAG with GDS2 clone
9) Read codes via [Vehicle Diagnostics} -> [Vehicle DTC Information] with clone software, exploded car caused a bizzilion U-codes (non communication), dash board and center stack flashing, several "anomalies"
10) Purchased used MDI, took it apart and confirmed it is the real thing. Also purchased new BCM.
11) Purchased legit GDS2 from acdelcotds.com
12) Read codes via [Vehicle Diagnostics} -> [Vehicle DTC Information], did not explode car no "anomalies", main code is P0AF8 (shows history code for loss comm. with BCM, from that damn VXDIAG garbage)
13) Returned VXDIAG
14) Using alldatadiy.com, followed troublingshooting steps for P0AF8
15) Stopped troubleshooting when it said something like "Check high voltage cable resistance....if okay replace on-board charger"
16) Towed to dealer, included clipboard with diagnosis steps and red pen marked up with notes as I troubleshooted
17) Explicitly explained to the service writer this is likely a warranty issue, and noted the previous steps above
18) 4-days later, no word from the dealer, just called an hour ago
1 good catch on not buying into the 12v battery.
2 Hopefully you cleared the old codes from the vxdiag so only the p0af8 was present otherwise they may be heading in the wrong direction.
3 p0af8 is a voltage reference issue between the battery pack and the charger module, or the battery pack and the hybrid powertrain module, it could be the battery energy control module, hybrid powertrain control module 2, the charger module, or the cables. Judging by how yours disables both when trying to charge I would estimate a bad charge module. Hopefully your dealer has someone that knows what they are doing bc the diag for that code is pretty easy to follow, unless they don't have the required test meter anymore that gm sent.
Old 03-28-2019, 02:38 PM

I'd be happy with just a regular Stingray.
Old 03-28-2019, 02:40 PM

Das Agressive
That lip was stupid hard to put on, mostly during trying to reinstall the undershield that is made of 1/4in fiberglass and has to be flexed to fit inside the carbin lip. Both scary expensive items that are brittle.
Old 03-28-2019, 03:13 PM

1 good catch on not buying into the 12v battery.
2 Hopefully you cleared the old codes from the vxdiag so only the p0af8 was present otherwise they may be heading in the wrong direction.
3 p0af8 is a voltage reference issue between the battery pack and the charger module, or the battery pack and the hybrid powertrain module, it could be the battery energy control module, hybrid powertrain control module 2, the charger module, or the cables. Judging by how yours disables both when trying to charge I would estimate a bad charge module. Hopefully your dealer has someone that knows what they are doing bc the diag for that code is pretty easy to follow, unless they don't have the required test meter anymore that gm sent.
All of that sounds like Voltec, I'm waiting for them to tell me the charger stuff is not Voltec related. I did a bunch of code clearing cycles when diagnosing, I couldn't clear the HV Secured DTCs in HPCM1 though. When I cleared the P0AF8 in the regular screen, it would put the vehicle in 'Low Propulsion; mode. Pulling the 12v battery would reset everything back to the beginning, no active codes...

Since I got the P0AF8 the very first time before the clone software, this code should still be legit. It does only happen when the charger is plugged in, like you said it could be the power inverter control module which you wouldn't think is related to the charging circuit...but you never know.

A guy at work as gen2 Volt, his broke shortly after mine went down. His has been at the dealer going on week 3, apparently they are bringing in a tech from another dealer. I told him to take it to another dealer with a Volt tech because put yourself in that tech's shoes, he is away from his box which makes the diagnosis that much harder.
Old 03-28-2019, 03:27 PM

Liked 92 Times in 84 Posts
All of that sounds like VAULT-TEC, I'm waiting for them to tell me the charger stuff is not VAULT-TEC related. I did a bunch of code clearing cycles when diagnosing, I couldn't clear the HV Secured DTCs in HPCM1 though. When I cleared the P0AF8 in the regular screen, it would put the vehicle in 'Low Propulsion; mode. Pulling the 12v battery would reset everything back to the beginning, no active codes...

Since I got the P0AF8 the very first time before the clone software, this code should still be legit. It does only happen when the charger is plugged in, like you said it could be the power inverter control module which you wouldn't think is related to the charging circuit...but you never know.

A guy at work as gen2 Volt, his broke shortly after mine went down. His has been at the dealer going on week 3, apparently they are bringing in a tech from another dealer. I told him to take it to another dealer with a Volt tech because put yourself in that tech's shoes, he is away from his box which makes the diagnosis that much harder.

Old 03-28-2019, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by ProfDNS View Post
After a little research, I found this checks out.

Source: https://etd.ohiolink.edu/!etd.send_f...osition=inline
Old 03-28-2019, 04:02 PM

All of that sounds like Voltec, I'm waiting for them to tell me the charger stuff is not Voltec related. I did a bunch of code clearing cycles when diagnosing, I couldn't clear the HV Secured DTCs in HPCM1 though. When I cleared the P0AF8 in the regular screen, it would put the vehicle in 'Low Propulsion; mode. Pulling the 12v battery would reset everything back to the beginning, no active codes...

Are you sure its another tech from another dealer or a field service engineer? field service engineers are guys that get brought in when a tech is unable to fix it.
As far as coverage goes, the cables are covered under the bumper to bumper or emissions code E, the charger is voltec, the contactor assembly is voltec, then the inverter module is bumper to bumper or emissions E or E2. I would need your vin to see what coverages you have on emissions to know what's covered. there is 3 different coverages for emissions, E, E1, and E2 but they go by different names on the build sheet.
Old 03-28-2019, 04:07 PM

I cant say much on them having it a long time though, I have had this one for 17 days now. Took about 3-4 days before I got it in, about a day and a half to diag it, couple days for TAC and BSC to figure out I couldn't get a single section like I needed, 5 days waiting on the battery, put on backburner for a few days bc a couple guys were out for family issues. Should be leaving today or the morning if the test drive goes good after the relearn charge finishes. "crosses fingers"
Old 03-28-2019, 04:13 PM

Are you sure its another tech from another dealer or a field service engineer? field service engineers are guys that get brought in when a tech is unable to fix it.
As far as coverage goes, the cables are covered under the bumper to bumper or emissions code E, the charger is voltec, the contactor assembly is voltec, then the inverter module is bumper to bumper or emissions E or E2. I would need your vin to see what coverages you have on emissions to know what's covered. there is 3 different coverages for emissions, E, E1, and E2 but they go by different names on the build sheet.
You're probably right then its a field service engineer, the guy with the Gen2 said they were bringing in a tech from another dealer so maybe he is mistakenHe said they are not just getting to looking at this Gen2 today, he brought it in the week before last week.

Both dealers I took my Volt to (Moron, Hamilton) have Volt guys on staff. The guy left a message on my phone, I'll let you know what they say when I call back.
Old 03-28-2019, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by chris88z24 View Post
Also, where's the video of that ZR1's exhaust note?!
Didn't get one since honestly is sounds the same as the zo6. Maybe slightly more violent startup but its hardly noticeable unless you have heard tons of different corvette startups.
You're probably right then its a field service engineer, the guy with the Gen2 said they were bringing in a tech from another dealer so maybe he is mistakenHe said they are not just getting to looking at this Gen2 today, he brought it in the week before last week.

Both dealers I took my Volt to (Moron, Hamilton) have Volt guys on staff. The guy left a message on my phone, I'll let you know what they say when I call back.
Def interested in what they say. Have a hard time trusting them already since they recc a 12v battery first for that code.
Old 03-28-2019, 04:32 PM
Platinum Member

Liked 312 Times in 287 Posts
I trust nobody when it comes to diagnosing **** like that. People will swear up and down what the issue is and be totally wrong
Old 03-28-2019, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Slowbalt2000 View Post
I trust nobody when it comes to diagnosing **** like that. People will swear up and down what the issue is and be totally wrong
You can trust me though I'm one of the few that will be brutally honest with the cust and say things like "I don't know that this will for sure fix it but we have to eliminate this first" I also am honest when I really don't know what's wrong yet instead of spitting bs to buy time. My sm tries to keep me from talking to customers as much as possible bc I refuse to lie. Im the patient one in the shop that will only do it one way, the right way. No shortcuts, half ass, job security bs. I do extra stuff that takes time but with all intent that the car never comes back with that issue such as extra loom wrapping, dielectric grease, extra cleaning, ect.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 03-28-19 Thursday Workchat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.