12-21-18 Pre-Christmas Friday Workchat - Cobalt SS Network

Go Back  Cobalt SS Network > Community > The Lounge
12-21-18 Pre-Christmas Friday Workchat >

12-21-18 Pre-Christmas Friday Workchat

The Lounge Off Topic PG-13. Introductions, cars, movies, work, relationships, etc.

Old 12-21-2018, 09:07 AM

Merry Christmas ya filthy animals
Old 12-21-2018, 09:47 AM

Merry Christmas and happy new year.
Btw Royce I'm still trying to decide on a awd regal gs, awd ats, and awd cts. The ats has the most performance to offer, the cts the best ride, the gs the most value for the money. I've ruled out a wrx even though I think it's probably got the most performance potential but I really think my wife won't stand riding in it on the 6 hr round trips that I'm really needing the next car to do. For the same money I can pretty much get a sub 10,000 mile 17 gs for the price of a 20,000 mile 15 maybe 16 ats or cts. One of the reasons the gs appeals a lot to me is lack of mods for it so I can't do much more than a intake, dp and tune. The caddy's can go farther with zfr's and I know my addiction to modding......
The regal has the most back seat room for a child seat also.
Old 12-21-2018, 10:03 AM

In
Old 12-21-2018, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by 63 Nova SS View Post
Btw Royce I'm still trying to decide on a awd regal gs, awd ats, and awd cts. The ats has the most performance to offer, the cts the best ride, the gs the most value for the money. I've ruled out a wrx even though I think it's probably got the most performance potential but I really think my wife won't stand riding in it on the 6 hr round trips that I'm really needing the next car to do. For the same money I can pretty much get a sub 10,000 mile 17 gs for the price of a 20,000 mile 15 maybe 16 ats or cts. One of the reasons the gs appeals a lot to me is lack of mods for it so I can't do much more than a intake, dp and tune. The caddy's can go farther with zfr's and I know my addiction to modding......
have you went and test drove both? Both are very different cars to drive. Also make sure you drive the 3.6 ats, its alot quicker than i anticipated.
Old 12-21-2018, 10:35 AM
Platinum Member

Tgif
Old 12-21-2018, 10:49 AM

Still alive.
Old 12-21-2018, 11:06 AM

In, doesn't feel like Christmas time this year.
Old 12-21-2018, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by royce777
have you went and test drove both? Both are very different cars to drive. Also make sure you drive the 3.6 ats, its alot quicker than i anticipated.
I'm trying to delay driving any of them till I get the cobalt sold, or close to selling it because it will just make me want one. Since winter is here I probably won't sell the cobalt till it warms up even though it's pretty much put up at this point.
I'm off next week and will be putting the 3.82 trans back in it, so at that point it will be ready to sell.
Old 12-21-2018, 11:15 AM

I'd get the Buick to avoid this from happening:

Old 12-21-2018, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by chris88z24
I'd get the Buick to avoid this from happening:

Right!
Biggest thing that turns me off about any of the caddy's is that the cue screens fail about every other year and if you have it replaced it's $1200. And it controls not only the radio but also the climate control.
Old 12-21-2018, 11:49 AM

The used ATS's are so cheap though it's insane. You can get a low mileage one with AWD and the 4 banger ECOTEC for under 20k.

I would love a black coupe with a manual trans, but they're impossible to find. And then everyone will hate you because you're under 60 and driving a Cadillac lol.
Old 12-21-2018, 11:56 AM

Right!
Biggest thing that turns me off about any of the caddy's is that the cue screens fail about every other year and if you have it replaced it's $1200. And it controls not only the radio but also the climate control.
Once you get the new refurbished one you should be good. We haven't had any of those come back. And the lower hvac touch part still works when they fail, just the touch screen on the upper section is the one we have problems with.
Old 12-21-2018, 12:31 PM
Platinum Member

I think I would go with a gs from that list
Old 12-21-2018, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Snail_SS
I think I would go with a gs from that list
You can actually still find a few brand new 2017's for sale as they changed the body style in 18. I'm not a fan of the new body style myself. You can get a brand new 17 gs for the same price as a 15-16 luxury (mid optioned) cts or a 15-16 performance(mid/upper optioned) ats. Most the gs's have moonroofs, adaptive cruise/auto braking, blind spot monitoring and parking sensors/backup cameras. Strangely though for a more performance oriented car they don't have paddle shifter but all the caddy's do.
Old 12-21-2018, 12:41 PM

The Insignias are popular in Europe and I guess they're pretty reliable too.
Old 12-21-2018, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Kolt
Once you get the new refurbished one you should be good. We haven't had any of those come back. And the lower hvac touch part still works when they fail, just the touch screen on the upper section is the one we have problems with.
Yeah but you still have to pay $1200 for something to me that shouldn't fail. Thanks for the update on the success of the replacements. Kolt- what happened with the ltg piston deal. Seems a lot of 12-14 and even a few 15's blew pistons. Was the factory tune the issue being too rich or lean causing the failure or was it manufacturing related. I heard the 16 and up motors are ok.
Old 12-21-2018, 12:45 PM

Yeah but you still have to pay $1200 for something to me that shouldn't fail. Thanks for the update on the success of the replacements. Kolt- what happened with the ltg piston deal. Seems a lot of 12-14 and even a few 15's blew pistons. Was the factory tune the issue being too rich or lean causing the failure or was it manufacturing related. I heard the 16 and up motors are ok.
That was the one thing that kept me from getting a 2014 ATS. I was really to go buy it until I read about the piston problems. Shame because that Opulent Blue looked so good.

So instead of getting that I dropped like 900 bucks to have the dealer replace the fuel lines on the Cobalt. Been driving it since.
Old 12-21-2018, 02:21 PM

Your right they shouldn't be breaking like they are but what can you expect when a Cadillac part is made in Malaysia.
Idk, I haven't heard a reason yet. We actually have on tore down right now with a busted piston and eat up cyl head.
I did see a article talking about some research being done with certain oils and direct injection. Apparently there may be a catalytic knock happening during certain conditions due to the detergent metals in some synthetic oils.
Edit: found the article. https://www.enginelabs.com/engine-te...w-speed-knock/
Old 12-21-2018, 02:42 PM

Wonder why I didn't effect the lnf-ldk-lhu motors as much. Lnf ate ringlands sometimes but that was at much higher power levels usually, than a factory motor like the lhu. It's sad that you have to second guess buying one due to not knowing if the motor will grenade, even without an aftermarket tune on it. I had heard rumor that especially the 12-14 motors had a rich factory tune and that the excess fuel was washing down the cyl wall oil. Don't know if that's true.
I know wrx's about the same years had piston issues also.
Old 12-21-2018, 02:56 PM

I'm not sure, from what I understand combustion chamber design (shape of piston top/ cyl head) had some part to knock susceptibility and also overall fuel quality may be a factor on how the knock is occurring. May be why on the warranty side we are seeing some areas of the country hardly have any issues while others are very common. Could be the average weather of the area. Here in the southeast we have the most Duramax fuel system failures compared to the rest of the country, current suspect is the high heat and humidity of our area may be causing condensation build up in the tanks and causing the hpfp's to grenade. The 1.5 turbos in Malibu's that are busting pistons are nearly always rentals. We think a mix of hard driving and the tune not being capable of handling the low octane cheap gas that everyone would use when driving a rental. I haven't heard anything on a rich factory tune. I wouldn't be surprised though with all the updates to the calibrations we see.
Old 12-21-2018, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Kolt View Post
I'm not sure, from what I understand combustion chamber design had some part to knock susceptibility and also overall fuel quality may be a factor on how the knock is occurring. May be why on the warranty side we are seeing some areas of the country hardly have any issues while others are very common. Could be the average weather of the area. Here in the southeast we have the most Duramax fuel system failures compared to the rest of the country, current suspect is the high heat and humidity of our area may be causing condensation build up in the tanks and causing the hpfp's to grenade. The 1.5 turbos in Malibu's that are busting pistons are nearly always rentals. We think a mix of hard driving and the tune not being capable of handling the low octane cheap gas that everyone would use when driving a rental.
That is a sad oversight on QA. When people think turbo, they think"fast" so that encourages the behaviour. The tune is merely compensation for this but it's the same engine that's been used for a while sans some minor tweaks/updates.

Also Kolt, you need to make an official 'Merica thread already!
Old 12-21-2018, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by ProfDNS View Post
That is a sad oversight on QA. When people think turbo, they think"fast" so that encourages the behaviour. The tune is merely compensation for this but it's the same engine that's been used for a while sans some minor tweaks/updates.

Also Kolt, you need to make an official 'Merica thread already!
Agreed. I suppose I need to make one. Got any good title ideas? Im thinking "The Ginger Jesus/'Merica "build" Thread"
Old 12-21-2018, 03:20 PM

I'm not sure, from what I understand combustion chamber design (shape of piston top/ cyl head) had some part to knock susceptibility and also overall fuel quality may be a factor on how the knock is occurring. May be why on the warranty side we are seeing some areas of the country hardly have any issues while others are very common. Could be the average weather of the area. Here in the southeast we have the most Duramax fuel system failures compared to the rest of the country, current suspect is the high heat and humidity of our area may be causing condensation build up in the tanks and causing the hpfp's to grenade. The 1.5 turbos in Malibu's that are busting pistons are nearly always rentals. We think a mix of hard driving and the tune not being capable of handling the low octane cheap gas that everyone would use when driving a rental. I haven't heard anything on a rich factory tune. I wouldn't be surprised though with all the updates to the calibrations we see.
How are those 3.6L Colorados holding up? Thinking about replacing my Dakota tow rig with one when the time comes. Usually tow 5000lbs regularly through the mountains in the summer.

Feels very cherry picked if you ask me...

Agreed. I suppose I need to make one. Got any good title ideas? Im thinking "The Ginger Jesus/'Merica "build" Thread"
Kolt's 'Twisted Metal 'Merica' Build

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 12-21-18 Pre-Christmas Friday Workchat

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.