Focus RS Dyno Numbers - Cobalt SS Network



The Lounge Off Topic PG-13. Introductions, cars, movies, work, relationships, etc.

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-10-2017, 02:59 PM   #1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: 12-20-09
Location: Elizabethville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,928
Thanked 83 Times in 71 Posts
Focus RS Dyno Numbers


Ok so i dont know why they have to dyno these cars in fwd mode but still. A stock car that comes with 350hp from factory and then on top of that has full bolt ons and a tune......puts down these kind of numbers?? thats just pathetic!!!
hawkssoccer11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 03:03 PM   #2
Moderator
Platinum Member
Moderator
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: 04-18-14
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 11,418
Thanked 307 Times in 288 Posts
Subd to see video later
Snail_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 03:21 PM   #3
2008 SS/TC
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: 01-21-11
Location: Lochbuie, Colorado
Posts: 9,965
Thanked 72 Times in 53 Posts
they dyno in FWD because the RDU or Rear Differential Unit heats up and shuts off. Its not real AWD. its FWD biased AWD
leemanfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 03:53 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 03-23-09
Location: Sask, Canada
Posts: 2,149
Thanked 24 Times in 24 Posts
Somewhat embarrassing for a $50,000+ car.
heeter_33 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to heeter_33 For This Useful Post:
hawkssoccer11 (05-10-2017)
Old 05-10-2017, 04:29 PM   #5
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: 12-20-09
Location: Elizabethville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,928
Thanked 83 Times in 71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leemanfor View Post
they dyno in FWD because the RDU or Rear Differential Unit heats up and shuts off. Its not real AWD. its FWD biased AWD
ahhhhh gotcha!!!! thats gay as hell haha.
hawkssoccer11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 04:29 PM   #6
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: 12-20-09
Location: Elizabethville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,928
Thanked 83 Times in 71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heeter_33 View Post
Somewhat embarrassing for a $50,000+ car.
very embarrassing lol
hawkssoccer11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 04:45 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: 09-18-15
Location: DeKalb, Illinois
Posts: 283
Thanked 26 Times in 25 Posts
That's just sad. A car that cost double what the Balt did new, is a lot newer with better "tech", and still just depressing numbers.
Tdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 04:56 PM   #8
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: 01-30-13
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,118
Thanked 88 Times in 70 Posts
"LOL Focus" should be his plate.
double clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 06:25 PM   #9
Senior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: 06-12-12
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,886
Thanked 104 Times in 101 Posts
I think it's sad that ford didn't do a better job with the rear differential to give the owners more of a chance to turn them up. Probably wouldn't even hit 300whp if they dyno'd it in awd. Still think they aren't real pretty, but the interior is decent in them.
63 Nova SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 08:35 PM   #10
Moderator
Platinum Member
Moderator
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: 04-18-14
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 11,418
Thanked 307 Times in 288 Posts
Wow that was lame lol
Snail_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:08 PM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: 06-28-11
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 247
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leemanfor View Post
they dyno in FWD because the RDU or Rear Differential Unit heats up and shuts off. Its not real AWD. its FWD biased AWD
No they don't. The rear is overdriven and always linked. Meaning a linked dyno won't work since the RS will freak out. It has literally nothing about the rear end heating up.
But yes, it is front biased AWD. And the rear only shuts off after hard tracks days. I have yet to have mine shut down on me from spirited driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63 Nova SS View Post
I think it's sad that ford didn't do a better job with the rear differential to give the owners more of a chance to turn them up. Probably wouldn't even hit 300whp if they dyno'd it in awd. Still think they aren't real pretty, but the interior is decent in them.
People are tuning them up and aren't having any issues with the rear yet. Some are running around 330 to the wheels and haven't had any issues. Everyone is still trying to figure out the limits of the diff since that'll probably be the limiting factor.
$50k+ car? Where did that come from? They're going MSRP or lower now.
And before anyone says it, some 2016 have bad blocks like the 2010 SS's. Coolant leaks or just cracking. Ford is replacing them even if they're tuned.

Last edited by trainplane3; 05-10-2017 at 09:14 PM.
trainplane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:30 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 03-23-09
Location: Sask, Canada
Posts: 2,149
Thanked 24 Times in 24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainplane3 View Post
No they don't. The rear is overdriven and always linked. Meaning a linked dyno won't work since the RS will freak out. It has literally nothing about the rear end heating up.
But yes, it is front biased AWD. And the rear only shuts off after hard tracks days. I have yet to have mine shut down on me from spirited driving.



People are tuning them up and aren't having any issues with the rear yet. Some are running around 330 to the wheels and haven't had any issues. Everyone is still trying to figure out the limits of the diff since that'll probably be the limiting factor.
$50k+ car? Where did that come from? They're going MSRP or lower now.
And before anyone says it, some 2016 have bad blocks like the 2010 SS's. Coolant leaks or just cracking. Ford is replacing them even if they're tuned.
Sorry I should have specified I am in Canada and they're $50,000 here.
heeter_33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:47 PM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: 06-28-11
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 247
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heeter_33 View Post
Sorry I should have specified I am in Canada and they're $50,000 here.
Ah all good. That seems right for up in Americas Hat. Wasn't trying to be a dick, just making some points. There's alot of misinformation floating around about this car and it's kind of annoying.
trainplane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 10:12 PM   #14
Moderator
Platinum Member
Moderator
iTrader: (1)
 
Slowbalt2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-15-11
Location: Franklin, TN & Big Rapids, MI
Posts: 19,769
Thanked 145 Times in 136 Posts
"Lol evo"

Stock turbo evo would walk this thing
Slowbalt2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 11:28 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 06-10-12
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 2,452
Thanked 38 Times in 37 Posts
Cobalt guys have such a inferiority complex's.

The RS is a pretty great car but like any economy car built into a performance car they have weak points. Just look at our cars.

Just think Ford needs to make money on each RS sold. Building custom tooling for a pretty small production is expensive. You have to save money in some places like the diff/awd design. Which also happens to hold up fine if the driver knows what he's doing. Moutune says all the diff issues are from idiots that don't know how to initiate drifts. The diffs aren't shutting down. Just the owners are making them reach the parameters that make the computer trip the limp mode instead of actually letting the owner damage the car.

cluelessk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 12:54 AM   #16
Member
 
Join Date: 06-28-11
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 247
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cluelessk View Post
Cobalt guys have such a inferiority complex's.

The RS is a pretty great car but like any economy car built into a performance car they have weak points. Just look at our cars.

Just think Ford needs to make money on each RS sold. Building custom tooling for a pretty small production is expensive. You have to save money in some places like the diff/awd design. Which also happens to hold up fine if the driver knows what he's doing. Moutune says all the diff issues are from idiots that don't know how to initiate drifts. The diffs aren't shutting down. Just the owners are making them reach the parameters that make the computer trip the limp mode instead of actually letting the owner damage the car.
Basically what you said. It also gets hate from people because "40k Focus" (really starts at 36k) meanwhile there's a 39k Golf and 36k Impreza that somehow avoid the hate. If GM would ever get it's head out of its ass and make a Cruze SS for 30k (FWD at that price), I would've went for it.

Yep, simply put the interior is a loaded Focus with alot of RS stickers everywhere, can't complain coming from the SS.

The RS is slower from 60-100 compared to a 23psi SS but since I don't street race, it doesn't matter. I'll probably get the Ford tune once it comes out just to get that extra oomph for that highway merge and then leave it alone. It's a blast to throw at corners and literally begs for more. Don't get me wrong, the SS was a fun and INSANELY cheap car (I don't think a majority of people here realize that) to mod and maintain but the RS is a way more fun car to drive then the SS ever was.
trainplane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 07:33 AM   #17
Senior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: 06-12-12
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,886
Thanked 104 Times in 101 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the rs- it's nice that those who want awd have a choice now between the subi and this with the evo no longer made. Personally I wouldn't worry about a sport compact at this point and would probably go with the awd ats. Ford knows it competition-mainly the wrx/sti. They also had a couple of years to design and do r&d to make sure they made it tough enough to hold up to the beating that a lot of owners would put it through no matter if you were experienced at drifting or not. Sorry to hear they also have had some bad blocks. All this is probably why gm doesn't want to touch the hp sport compact cars again. No money in it for all you have to invest for the limited amount of cars you sell. I'm glad ford tried, and hopefully they get things worked out.
63 Nova SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 07:40 AM   #18
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member
iTrader: (25)
 
Staged07SS's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-30-07
Location: NEPA
Posts: 14,298
Thanked 185 Times in 163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainplane3 View Post
Basically what you said. It also gets hate from people because "40k Focus" (really starts at 36k) meanwhile there's a 39k Golf and 36k Impreza that somehow avoid the hate. If GM would ever get it's head out of its ass and make a Cruze SS for 30k (FWD at that price), I would've went for it.

Yep, simply put the interior is a loaded Focus with alot of RS stickers everywhere, can't complain coming from the SS.

The RS is slower from 60-100 compared to a 23psi SS but since I don't street race, it doesn't matter. I'll probably get the Ford tune once it comes out just to get that extra oomph for that highway merge and then leave it alone. It's a blast to throw at corners and literally begs for more. Don't get me wrong, the SS was a fun and INSANELY cheap car (I don't think a majority of people here realize that) to mod and maintain but the RS is a way more fun car to drive then the SS ever was.
All of those cars are over priced TBO.
Staged07SS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Staged07SS For This Useful Post:
Snail_SS (05-11-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 08:43 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 06-10-12
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 2,452
Thanked 38 Times in 37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staged07SS View Post
All of those cars are over priced TBO.
Not really. They're selling great. Seems to be priced correctly.
cluelessk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 09:15 AM   #20
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member
iTrader: (25)
 
Staged07SS's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-30-07
Location: NEPA
Posts: 14,298
Thanked 185 Times in 163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cluelessk View Post
Not really. They're selling great. Seems to be priced correctly.
Selling great is one thing...

At the price point of those cars, there are better options for only a few grand more.

Sorry, that's my opinion, but I'd never pay 35k-40k for a glorified economy car.
Staged07SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 10:10 AM   #21
Member
 
Join Date: 06-28-11
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 247
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 63 Nova SS View Post
Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the rs- it's nice that those who want awd have a choice now between the subi and this with the evo no longer made. Personally I wouldn't worry about a sport compact at this point and would probably go with the awd ats. Ford knows it competition-mainly the wrx/sti. They also had a couple of years to design and do r&d to make sure they made it tough enough to hold up to the beating that a lot of owners would put it through no matter if you were experienced at drifting or not. Sorry to hear they also have had some bad blocks. All this is probably why gm doesn't want to touch the hp sport compact cars again. No money in it for all you have to invest for the limited amount of cars you sell. I'm glad ford tried, and hopefully they get things worked out.
It is a bummer about the rear end, but most of the time that it isn't the part overheating. There's a sensor that trips easily even if the rear end isn't hot. Small stupid things, but the aftermarket is making progress to fix it. I don't think anyone has blown one up yet. Just some dealing with minor leaks from the factory.

My parents have a 2015 AWD ATS and don't really care for it. CUE is a miserable infotainment setup as well. For how much that thing was, it isn't worth it. Luckily they leased it. Good news, since they aren't selling well, you can get one pretty cheap since resale is tanking hard. My RS was $5k cheaper and has more which is sad compared to a Cadillac (Stupid things, but I have a heated steering wheel and turning headlights and the ATS didn't, that was another $3k for those). They'll probably be going Volvo next time.

I get it. People asked me why I didn't get a Carmaro SS or a Mustang GT especially since the RS won't see snow. I don't like larger cars, smaller ones are more my thing. Could've had more power for less $$$. The days of cheap, sporty (SS/SRT4/SI) cars are over. Also, insurance is cheaper on the RS (and a Corvette) when compared to the Cobalt.

I just realized the Type R is gonna be $35k too and Honda dealers ARE going to mark up the **** out of those since they'll be even more limited then the RS. Man the sport compact segment sucks nowadays.
trainplane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 10:18 AM   #22
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member
iTrader: (25)
 
Staged07SS's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-30-07
Location: NEPA
Posts: 14,298
Thanked 185 Times in 163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainplane3 View Post
It is a bummer about the rear end, but most of the time that it isn't the part overheating. There's a sensor that trips easily even if the rear end isn't hot. Small stupid things, but the aftermarket is making progress to fix it. I don't think anyone has blown one up yet. Just some dealing with minor leaks from the factory.

My parents have a 2015 AWD ATS and don't really care for it. CUE is a miserable infotainment setup as well. For how much that thing was, it isn't worth it. Luckily they leased it. Good news, since they aren't selling well, you can get one pretty cheap since resale is tanking hard. My RS was $5k cheaper and has more which is sad compared to a Cadillac (Stupid things, but I have a heated steering wheel and turning headlights and the ATS didn't, that was another $3k for those). They'll probably be going Volvo next time.

I get it. People asked me why I didn't get a Carmaro SS or a Mustang GT especially since the RS won't see snow. I don't like larger cars, smaller ones are more my thing. Could've had more power for less $$$. The days of cheap, sporty (SS/SRT4/SI) cars are over. Also, insurance is cheaper on the RS (and a Corvette) when compared to the Cobalt.

I just realized the Type R is gonna be $35k too and Honda dealers ARE going to mark up the **** out of those since they'll be even more limited then the RS. Man the sport compact segment sucks nowadays.
Agreed!
Staged07SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 10:38 AM   #23
New Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Hemphog's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-14-13
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 96
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainplane3 View Post
I get it.
I'm throwing in with your lot...compacts are a matter of taste same as everything else. Compacts are hot and quicker than ever if you got the $. All of that doesn't change this video is miserable and should not draw any conclusions from (Not your fault OP...I was entertained).
Hemphog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 10:42 AM   #24
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
exninja's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-20-09
Location: AZ
Posts: 1,886
Thanked 60 Times in 56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cluelessk View Post
Cobalt guys have such a inferiority complex's.

The RS is a pretty great car but like any economy car built into a performance car they have weak points. Just look at our cars.

Just think Ford needs to make money on each RS sold. Building custom tooling for a pretty small production is expensive. You have to save money in some places like the diff/awd design. Which also happens to hold up fine if the driver knows what he's doing. Moutune says all the diff issues are from idiots that don't know how to initiate drifts. The diffs aren't shutting down. Just the owners are making them reach the parameters that make the computer trip the limp mode instead of actually letting the owner damage the car.
I know this was a ways up in the thread, but this isn't necessarily true. I have no clue what the profit/loss margin is on each RS, but car companies don't always make a car to profit on THAT version of it. Sometimes, like I suspect is the case for the RS, they make a souped-up version of the car to get lots of attention for the model as a whole and sell more base or mid's. It's also really hard to gauge how much of an effect it has on sales, which is a reason I think car companies don't do it more often.
exninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 10:46 AM   #25
Senior Member
iTrader: (29)
 
Join Date: 06-28-08
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 6,414
Thanks: 0
Thanked 49 Times in 44 Posts
I'm a little late to the party but I have seen and rode in RS and yes they are great cars. Would I own one? Possibly, but going from my sedan that will pull on a RS it would be a little upsetting. But I would also be getting a million new features/luxuries that a cobalt doesn't have. Like Josh said the days of cheap sporty cars are over. That's why cobalt owners talk **** about new sporty cars with 35k-40k price tags. In all honest for some one who doesn't want to spend a lot of money and have a fast, cheap to maintain, and reliable car a LNF is perfect. That's why if my sedan sells, I know I will miss it a lot but I would definitely like having a new car with new features and that new car feel.
royce777 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:47 PM.