Gun enthusiast? - Page 10 - Cobalt SS Network

Go Back  Cobalt SS Network > Community > The Lounge
Gun enthusiast? >

Gun enthusiast?

The Lounge Off Topic PG-13. Introductions, cars, movies, work, relationships, etc.

Gun enthusiast?

Old 01-14-2011, 11:11 PM

I have shot both and I prefer the accuracy of the AR, but the AK is so much more fun to shoot and the rounds are more effective on a target.

In another note, I really want a M1 carbine for the wife, I think it would be a great gun for her.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:41 PM

Wow this thread has some Real beauties, Here is a few of mine that got passed down and collected over the years sorry about the Crappy Lighting Flash didnt work i guess ha

Romanian Dragunov, Microtech AUG, FN FS2000, Maadi AK clone, Remington 700, Kel-Tec PLR16, Desert Eagle, Fn 5-7, Sig P226 Elite, Dan Wesson .357, Bauer .25ACP, Redhawk .44, Glock 23, Glock 30, Winchester lever action 30-30, ....Did i forget anything

Old 01-14-2011, 11:42 PM
The Stig

Originally Posted by Perfect.disguise View Post
Unfortunately I don't know anyone that own either and the shop doesn't have an indoor range. In your opinion why would you say the AR is a better defensive rifle?
I like the way it operates. Quick magazine change outs, less recoil, 5.56 will not penetrate through a wall *as far* as 7.62 if you miss, easier to mount accessories like a flashlight or red dot optic, its lighter on average.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:54 PM

^^The AR is far superior on all avenues unless you need the the absolutely reliability of picking up your AK from the bottom of a bog after 24 years and firing off 10 drum mags because you are being chased by a medium sized drug cartel army... And that only works because the AK is looser than a geriatric hooker on nickel night...

I've built many of both, own several of each. I'm a huggggeee gun nut. You can make AK's nice, but they will never surpass the AR's in quality.

If you research it a bit, the AK's accuracy is soo poor it can't even hit a largish target while being clamped in a rest, while an M16 or M4 can make a nice small grouping at several hundred yards. I'm not in the service, but talking to several friends who have done multiple tours of duty recently, there best advice was to stand still and return fire when you heard AK fire. You'll hear rounds flying past you all around, but have more than enough time to pick them off.

Here's a good comparo from a show on the Discovery Channel http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6BpI...5906B4935351E0

There is a reason they went to an AK74, the small light bullet theory works well enough.

If you want a battle rifle get a G36, FAL, CETME, AR-10, or something else in 7.62NATO.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:01 AM
The Stig

Also the bolt locking to the rear when empty is a big thing for me with the AR. In a situation where time is life, having to charge the bolt on an AK after you've loaded a new mag is just wasted movement, and time. Just slap the ping pong paddle (bolt release) on your AR, and you're ready to go. Magpul makes this feature even better with their B.A.D lever that attaches to the AR bolt release, and lets you send the bolt forward with your trigger finger. It makes doing a speed reload, or tac reload real smooth and streamlined. The bolt locking to the rear is a time saver also when suddenly your rifle stops working. You'll tilt the rifle slightly, and do a chamber check. It will be open so you can immediately determine you need to reload instead of having to pull the bolt open slightly on the AK to check the chamber.

It goes on and on and it's more than you're concerned with I'm sure. The AK is a very good rifle, I don't want to knock it, but from my perspective, I like the AR.

Last edited by MarcS; 01-15-2011 at 12:23 AM.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by MarcS View Post
Also the bolt locking to the rear when empty is a big thing for me with the AR. In a situation where time is life, having to charge the bolt on an AK after you've loaded a new mag is just wasted movement, and time.
Try story..! With a rig on your chest you can beer can grip an AR mag and speed reload like a **** lol. The cumbersome mag locking mechanism of the AK make it pretty hard to reload fast since the mags needs swiveled into position instead of slamming it home.

Since people aren't freaking about Nobama anymore, gun prices have fallen dramatically. My vote is by both, but spend the quality money on the AR. You can buy a single stack AK for less than $300 and dremel it to double stack, or pick up a double stack for $400 or less. You might even find a better deal. You should be able to buy a good AR for $1000 or less, or build something nice for around $800 or less, so I don't see why both would be out of the question lol.

Plus, the best thing about the AR's is the modularity! They're like freakin Lego's lol. You can swap in a .22 kit and practice for super cheap, or even swap a different caliber upper the whole way up to .50BMG freely since only the lower receiver is a 'firearm'.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:52 PM
Original Hayden Fanatic

So, I went to put a deposit on the MP 15-22...but ended up putting it down on an AR with a dedicated .22 upper so now all I have to do is get myself a 556 upper and have a completely different gun

I pick it up Friday.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:12 PM

^^ Good choice! Is the lower marked .22 though, or mult-caliber? Some states may have a problem with swapping uppers on a lower marked .22 only.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:38 PM
.:Müll Renntechnik:.

I say you just buy an AR in 5.56... and then buy a cheap .22 to use on the side. I got my Ruger 10/22 for like $200. You can't beat that. Probably end up saving you a good chunk of money.
Old 01-15-2011, 03:03 PM

YouTube - AK-47 Magazine Change

Originally Posted by csementuh View Post
Here's a good comparo from a show on the Discovery Channel YouTube - AK 47 vs M16
Here is another..
YouTube - AK47 vs AR15
Old 01-15-2011, 03:33 PM
Premium Member

I've practiced quick AK mag changed and it is cumbersome to do ...... and you better be wearing gloves cause the mag release will bite you from time to time. Another thing is you really abuse the mags when hitting them on the release and to knock the spent mag out of the rifle . Another draw back is you will scratch the bottom of the reciever some cause you won't be perfect getting the mag into the well with out missing a bunch of times.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:06 PM

Yessir, very true. The AK is a reallll decent bullet hose, especially in the shorter variants such as an AMD-65 or an underfolder, but the refined accuracy of an AR is tops IMHO.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:26 PM
The Stig

Old 01-16-2011, 12:03 AM

History's mail call or, or other gun show with R.LEE Ermy also did a comparo, search for it, it was good stuff. The ak won in almost every category except for accuracy, but they picked the AR as the inner bcause of the intangibles.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:42 AM
Premium Member

You really cant go wrong either way for a first rifle ..... the odd's that you will find and buy an ak that will shoot a 12" plate at 200 yards 8 out of 10 times arent the best . I know you can find decent shooters like the video's posted but those aren't the rule with the average AK . The quality of ammo play a part but the design of the AK lends it'self to being less accurate than even your lower grade AR's . Theres a reason an AK will go bang when it's full of **** ..... the tolerances are so loose it's like racking a slot machine when charging the rifle lol.

The AR is a lot tighter gun ( sometimes they have slack between the upper and lower but a 25 cent accu wedge takes care of that) .... thats why a dirty AR is a pissed AR. One last thing i'd like to point out is follow up shot's .... the low recoil of the AR makes follow ups a breeze ... I can keep a sight picture threw my scope even between shots..... where as the blow back from the AK will make you readjust a second or so to get a 2nd well aimed shot off.

Oh .... and bump firing the AR is so much more fun than the AK .... sometimes my ak will trigger slap the **** out of me where as my AR is like a BB gun .
Old 01-16-2011, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by rukkee View Post
You really cant go wrong either way for a first rifle ..... the odd's that you will find and buy an ak that will shoot a 12" plate at 200 yards 8 out of 10 times arent the best . I know you can find decent shooters like the video's posted but those aren't the rule with the average AK . The quality of ammo play a part but the design of the AK lends it'self to being less accurate than even your lower grade AR's . Theres a reason an AK will go bang when it's full of **** ..... the tolerances are so loose it's like racking a slot machine when charging the rifle lol.

The AR is a lot tighter gun ( sometimes they have slack between the upper and lower but a 25 cent accu wedge takes care of that) .... thats why a dirty AR is a pissed AR. One last thing i'd like to point out is follow up shot's .... the low recoil of the AR makes follow ups a breeze ... I can keep a sight picture threw my scope even between shots..... where as the blow back from the AK will make you readjust a second or so to get a 2nd well aimed shot off.

Oh .... and bump firing the AR is so much more fun than the AK .... sometimes my ak will trigger slap the **** out of me where as my AR is like a BB gun .
I couldnt have said that any better.

But if you want something different and fun go get a CETME designed rifle
Old 01-17-2011, 02:27 AM

So I'm going to go put my deposit on it in the morning..

What do you suggest.. AK or AR?
Old 01-17-2011, 02:47 AM
The Stig

So I'm going to go put my deposit on it in the morning..

What do you suggest.. AK or AR?
Lol. You won't go wrong either way. I think get the ak and become a proficient rifle shooter, then get the ar that you really want when you have the money.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by MarcS View Post
Lol. You won't go wrong either way. I think get the ak and become a proficient rifle shooter, then get the ar that you really want when you have the money.
The price diff is only $245. I looked at it again last time I went. Bushmaster ES2, Telescoping Buttstock, A3 Removable Carry Handle, Bayonet Lug, Flash Suppressor. I don't know what I was thinking the first time I looked at it but it's the stock handguard.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:19 AM
The Stig

The price diff is only $245. I looked at it again last time I went. Bushmaster ES2, Telescoping Buttstock, A3 Removable Carry Handle, Bayonet Lug, Flash Suppressor. I don't know what I was thinking the first time I looked at it but it's the stock handguard.
That's good it's a removable carrying handle, it must have that weaver rail on the top then, that's a huge plus. Really, it's win/win, but if you're like me, you'll get one and be happy with it, but you'll still really want the other as well.

I'll throw you a curve ball though, if this is primarily for home defense, consider a 12 gauge shotgun. Mossberg 500/590, Remington 870/Express, Benelli M1/M4..etc They will be cheaper than most AK's and, and are a really good force multiplier since 00 Buck is going to be slinging 9 pellets at a time as opposed to one 7.62, or 5.56mm. I love my Mossberg 500, it's a lot of fun to shoot.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:25 AM

I mean it will be used for home defense but that's not why I'm deciding between the two. I want something that will be fun to shoot on the weekends as well.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:38 AM
The Stig

I mean it will be used for home defense but that's not why I'm deciding between the two. I want something that will be fun to shoot on the weekends as well.
My choice between the two is the AR-15 platform. That's me though. I still really like the AK-47 platform too. Both are awesome rifles.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:06 AM
Premium Member

If it comes down to fun to shoot ..... I like the AR . My wife is 98 lbs and I've had her plink with my colt ...... you can shoot a AR all day long and not even feel it . If you put 500 rounds threw an AK you will know it the next morning . The AR is more fun to rapid fire as well .... like i said before , you can chase a can or bucket around with quick follow up shot's . With a detachable carry handle you would be able to throw optic's on it with ease . Plus fun to me is having a rifle that you can group 200 yard shot's in the size of my fist .

Either way you win thou .... the AK is a fun gun as well ..... and 7.62 is cheap. I just like the AR better because there are so many different options to hang off it ..... hell you can change the upper in the future and have two different caliber's . It could be an M4 one day .... then a 24 inch heavy barrel tack driver the next.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:37 AM

How much is the Bushy? What is your budget? Where are you from?

FYI, Bushmaster will make a gun that will exceed your AR noob expectations, but if you are an AR elitist, there are many other muchhhhhh better guns. If the price is right though...

If I were you I'd personally ask a local gun shop if they will do a FFL transfer and I'd buy something better for less money online... They should only charge $30 or so, and then you'll get the better deal of not having to pay sales tax if it's out of state.

Have a looksie here... http://www.aimsurplus.com/catalog.as...=New+Long+Guns

That DelTon they have listed for $719.95 should be a nice rifle and it has the Magpul MOE furniture which is a nicer that stock ugrade.

Here is a Spike's Tactical LE M4 model for $799.95 **AMAZINGLY** good quality, full Mil-Spec. Like the John Powell of AR's, not a huge name, but amazing parts.

http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/...ine-p-387.html

If you shop around you can find amazing deals... You just have to do a bit of digging. There is a 'slickguns' gun deal website that usually gets multiple AR deals a day... For example, right at the top of the page today is a S&W AR-15 for $699 shipped!

http://www.slickguns.com/

If you want the best AR/AR parts, Colt (obviously), Bravo Company Machining (BCM), Spike's Tactical, Noveske, Magpul, LaRue, etc all make guns or at least parts that are top shelf.

Better yet, buy a stripped lower from a local gun show for $100 or less out the door, then buy a rifle kit online for $500 or so, and build yourself a nice rifle. Or go full custom and get something very good quality for $800-1000. AR's are like Lego's and even if you decide to go full custom and build the upper as well, it still isn't that hard and the tools aren't that bad. A rifle kit is even easier as you only have to build the lower. We mod cars, building an AR in comparison is a piece of cake. The AK on the other hand is a bitch to build, because you actually 'build' more of it lol.

Ohh and BTW the rail on any AR is *not* a weaver... It is a Picatinny, which is kinda similar, but not the same. The weaver is a 'looser' spec rail that has different purposes, so the 'tighter' Picatinny will usually not fit the weaver, while a weaver device should fit a Picatinny.

Last edited by csementuh; 01-17-2011 at 11:55 AM.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:45 PM
The Stig

^ You're right, it is Picatinny, I usually say weaver out of a weird habit.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gun enthusiast?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.