The Lounge Off Topic PG-13. Introductions, cars, movies, work, relationships, etc.

Gun enthusiast?

Old 02-18-2011, 11:18 AM
The Stig

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like to recommend this DVD set to anyone who likes shooting tactical carbines. It's geared towards the AR-15 platform, but you can apply the concepts to any carbine.

YouTube - Magpul Dynamics -Art of the Tactical Carbine trailer
Old 02-18-2011, 11:42 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sweet!

Now if only I can figure out how the hell to overcome my cross eye dominance

Suggestions?

I am trying to decide if I should shoot rifle left handed or shoot right handed with my non dominant eye. My problem is I need to shoot pistol right handed cause that is what all of my duty, off duty and rec gear is for pistol and I am a good pistol shot right handed. So if I use a left handed 3 point sling then it will cover up my gun when transitioning to the side arm.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:45 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am the same way man.. Have you tried shooting with both eyes open? It takes a lot of practice but what I did to start was keep my left eye closed, get on target, open my left eye, shoot a few rounds.. Practice practice practice.. eventually you will be able to focus in with both eyes open

Major problem that I have is blinking when I shoot.. that is what I have been trying to overcome here lately..
Old 02-18-2011, 11:55 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd recommend shooting right handed. I'm a lefty and I shoot perfectly good right handed. As you know that is what 90%+ of the guns and gear is tailored to. Better to start out doing it that way and get better.

Originally Posted by silver06cobalt View Post
Nah there is absolute minimal rise..
Nor is there on an AR with a comp/brake. Controlling the gas system and bolt carrier group going the opposite direction of the bullet really helps to mitigate recoil. You could shoot an AR off your dick.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:56 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I dont think I will attempt a right hand shot with my rifle.. my cheek would be right over the ejection port Can you say ouch?
Old 02-18-2011, 11:58 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I dont think I will attempt a right hand shot with my rifle.. my cheek would be right over the ejection port Can you say ouch?
It'll make you shoot more accurately and make a man outta ya..!
Old 02-18-2011, 12:00 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Talk about anxiety to pull the trigger.. Last time I was at the range I got one to the eye that ricocheted off the wall next to me.. Luckily it was the last round cause I might have shot into the wall it made me jump so bad.. hurt like a bitch..
Old 02-18-2011, 12:04 PM
The Stig

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by importkiller View Post
Sweet!

Now if only I can figure out how the hell to overcome my cross eye dominance

Suggestions?

I am trying to decide if I should shoot rifle left handed or shoot right handed with my non dominant eye. My problem is I need to shoot pistol right handed cause that is what all of my duty, off duty and rec gear is for pistol and I am a good pistol shot right handed. So if I use a left handed 3 point sling then it will cover up my gun when transitioning to the side arm.

I'm the same way. I tend to shoot a rifle lefty, and a hand gun righty. I can shoot a rifle righty as well, but sometimes I have to remember to switch eyes. A reason why I'm loving my new AK is that it's perfect for lefty shooters.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:04 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Talk about anxiety to pull the trigger.. Last time I was at the range I got one to the eye that ricocheted off the wall next to me.. Luckily it was the last round cause I might have shot into the wall it made me jump so bad.. hurt like a bitch..
Supposed to have on safety glasses... Def gotta be careful lol.

Last time I shot idoors at a range I was testing some cheap cast lead bullet .45ACP plinking reloads I made. Apparently a tiny bit of lead was sticking on the casing or something, as the round didn't chamber fully and my 1911 fired a tiny bit out of battery. Needless to say despite glasses, I got a nice little splatter of molten lead and buring powder on my cheek, and a nice fireball out of the ejection port.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:06 PM
The Stig

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by csementuh View Post
Supposed to have on safety glasses... Def gotta be careful lol.

Last time I shot idoors at a range I was testing some cheap cast lead bullet .45ACP plinking reloads I made. Apparently a tiny bit of lead was sticking on the casing or something, as the round didn't chamber fully and my 1911 fired a tiny bit out of battery. Needless to say despite glasses, I got a nice little splatter of molten lead and buring powder on my cheek, and a nice fireball out of the ejection port.
I blew apart my extractor on my 15-22 in a similar situation. The round didn't chamber correctly and it fired out of battery and the extractor exploded off the bolt. I was lucky it was just the extractor that blew up.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:08 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcS View Post
I blew apart my ejector on my 15-22 in a similar situation. The round didn't chamber correctly and it fired out of battery and the ejector exploded off the bolt. I was lucky it was just the extractor that blew up.
Ya def sucks. Good thing .45's and .22's are both rather low pressure rounds.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:09 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I normally dont have safety glasses on because I wear glasses and there arent many ranges that have them big enough to cover my glasses as well.. also when you add the bulky glasses its hard to shoot.. reason why I use ear plugs rather than a headset ear protection..
Old 02-18-2011, 12:10 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I normally dont have safety glasses on because I wear glasses and there arent many ranges that have them big enough to cover my glasses as well.. also when you add the bulky glasses its hard to shoot.. reason why I use ear plugs rather than a headset ear protection..
Ya, I hear ya. I usually don't wear safety glasses real often. Most ranges make you wear ears and eyes, but I mostly shoot outside at an old strip mine.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:12 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well when I was living in Texas I had over 220 acres to shoot on.. here in NC we live in the country but there are a few houses around.. three are cops.. and I really dont want to **** anyone off and get my gun confiscated.. therefore I make do with the only rifle range in the area an hour away.. I sold my pistol a few days ago so no more shooting at the pistol range..
Old 02-18-2011, 12:12 PM
The Stig

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You could get some wiley x's with perscription lenses.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:13 PM
The Stig

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by csementuh View Post
Ya, I hear ya. I usually don't wear safety glasses real often. Most ranges make you wear ears and eyes, but I mostly shoot outside at an old strip mine.
I'm usually Mr. Safety I use eye and ear protection no matter where I'm shooting.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:17 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I dont doubt the safety purpose of them.. I just dont wear them cause I wear glasses as well.. and with a headset I usually push it off my right ear just to see down my scope.. so I just wear ear plugs..
Old 02-18-2011, 12:20 PM
Original Hayden Fanatic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New toy

I hate P&S cameras
Old 02-18-2011, 12:23 PM
The Stig

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's a nice looking gun. I'd consider coloring those dots on the rear site a different color though. Under stress 3 white dots can be lined up a few different ways.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:23 PM
Original Hayden Fanatic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I dont doubt the safety purpose of them.. I just dont wear them cause I wear glasses as well.. and with a headset I usually push it off my right ear just to see down my scope.. so I just wear ear plugs..
Walmart has some sport-type frames that wrap around that you can get poly-carb safety lenses in, like $50 for the frames & $20 for the lenses if you already know your prescription
Old 02-18-2011, 12:26 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by REIGN SS View Post
Walmart has some sport-type frames that wrap around that you can get poly-carb safety lenses in, like $50 for the frames & $20 for the lenses if you already know your prescription
REC Specs FTMFW!!

Oh and that is a nice looking pistol! .40 or 9mm? Cant really tell from the pics

Nevermind.. 10 rd clip.. must be .40

Last edited by silver06cobalt; 02-18-2011 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-18-2011, 12:28 PM
Original Hayden Fanatic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcS View Post
That's a nice looking gun. I'd consider coloring those dots on the rear site a different color though. Under stress 3 white dots can be lined up a few different ways.
Any colors you'd recommend?

I've read about some people using orange nail polish or model paint on their front sight.

Any opinion on:
Novak Standard Sight Set S&W M&P Fiber Optic Green - MidwayUSA
Old 02-18-2011, 12:29 PM
Original Hayden Fanatic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh and that is a nice looking pistol! .40 or 9mm? Cant really tell from the pics

Nevermind.. 10 rd clip.. must be .40
...9mm, I thought the 10round was odd too
Old 02-18-2011, 12:30 PM
The Stig

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by REIGN SS View Post
Any colors you'd recommend?

I've read about some people using orange nail polish or model paint on their front sight.

Any opinion on:
Novak Standard Sight Set S&W M&P Fiber Optic Green - MidwayUSA
Green and red are the most popular choices. Those fiber optic sights are really good too, I would just avoid using all one color.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:32 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yea I had green on mine.. I like it..

Is it a sub compact or something? My sub compact Taurus .40 had a ten round clip and that pistol was TINY

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gun enthusiast?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.