Loud thumping in front - Cobalt SS Network

The Lounge Off Topic PG-13. Introductions, cars, movies, work, relationships, etc.

Old 01-11-2018, 09:27 PM   #1  

Loud thumping in front

Hey guys! I just got my car back and sheís making an awful thumping in the front.
It only happens when moving, itís aggressively loud and thumps the whole floor. You can feel it in the pedals, it really starts thumping past 20 and doesnít stop ever. Unless the car does. Still thumps while turning and going straight.
The car is lowered a little less then 2in.
I checked the axles, they didnít have much play in and out but I twisted the shaft to the right wheel and it moves and clunks... is that my problem? Or perhaps a bushing or balljoint.. I have no clue and I donít really know how to test this past twisting shafts and shaking ****.

i would appreciate any help. Thank you!
Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 07:53 AM   #2  

I haven't had an axle go bad yet so haven't experienced it but I would imagine this could be a result of a bad universal joint in your drive shaft. If you are lowered very much it binds up the U-joints more than usual. Does the thump seem to be going about the same speed as the wheels like every time you hit the same spot in the rotation it clunks? Does it stay consistent with wheel-speed regardless of which gear you are in?
jdbaugh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:56 AM   #3  

Where did you get it back from? I would suspect a wheel is severely out-of-balance, or maybe even a destroyed hub, but that is doubtful. I think the CV joint is suspected when you have clicking noises when turning.
exninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 01:26 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by exninja View Post
Where did you get it back from? I would suspect a wheel is severely out-of-balance, or maybe even a destroyed hub, but that is doubtful. I think the CV joint is suspected when you have clicking noises when turning.
I just got her back from a dyno shop. There is no clicking but itís consistent no matter which way you turn , which makes me lean away from hub bearing.. I have brand new tires on the front I suppose that could be a possibility.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:31 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbaugh1 View Post
I haven't had an axle go bad yet so haven't experienced it but I would imagine this could be a result of a bad universal joint in your drive shaft. If you are lowered very much it binds up the U-joints more than usual. Does the thump seem to be going about the same speed as the wheels like every time you hit the same spot in the rotation it clunks? Does it stay consistent with wheel-speed regardless of which gear you are in?
Iím lowered 2 inches, I think. The thump is always going the same speed as the wheels and it sounds like itís one specific spot. So when that comes back around it thumps again. Gear doesnít matter at all.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:32 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williams View Post
I just got her back from a dyno shop. There is no clicking but itís consistent no matter which way you turn , which makes me lean away from hub bearing.. I have brand new tires on the front I suppose that could be a possibility.
If it only started after the tires swap I'd be suspect. Are they maybe a cheaper brand?

Next guess would be CV joint.
cluelessk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 01:32 PM   #7  

2 inches isnt enough to cause any problems
double clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 01:33 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by double clutch View Post
2 inches isnt enough to cause any problems
I didnít think so..
Old 01-12-2018, 01:37 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluelessk View Post
If it only started after the tires swap I'd be suspect. Are they maybe a cheaper brand?

Next guess would be CV joint.
Iím guessing itís a cv as well but I didnít want to leap into it. The tires are BFGs comps so there shouldnít be a problem with them unless they have a spot or the shop didnít balance them. I donít quite remember when it started to make the noise. It wasnít this significant when I last used the car daily, I know that. But itís also been sitting for months getting new this and new thats.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:52 PM   #10  

I would rotate the fronts to the back just to be sure its not the issue, before you start digging deeper.
double clutch is offline   Reply With Quote