official weight loss/health care/weightlifting thread - Page 12 - Cobalt SS Network

Go Back  Cobalt SS Network > Community > The Lounge
official weight loss/health care/weightlifting thread >

official weight loss/health care/weightlifting thread

The Lounge Off Topic PG-13. Introductions, cars, movies, work, relationships, etc.

official weight loss/health care/weightlifting thread

Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 10:20 PM

ya man it gets intense lol got to look good im thinking by tomorrow i will be 174 this morning i weighed 178. i would be happy with 168 and seeing 4 of my abs.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by the_rainmaker View Post
what most people domt understand, DIET IS EVERYTHING!
Not exactly true. Diet is important, but so is exercise. They are equal in importance.

Both of those things done independantly will net okay losses in weight. However, in order to have a truely effective program you absolutely MUST combine diet with excercise.

Only doing one or the other will slow things down considerably.

But you are right in that diet must be attended to if you hope to be effective.
Its one of the hardest things for people to change, and they usually dont stick with.

Secret is (and this is just in general) you have to eat the right things, in the right proportions, the right number of times per day.
For me, and this is just what I use (coupled with exercise I am down 21 lbs in 8 weeks) for diet:
6 meals daily, balanced carbs and protien with each meal, at least 3 servings of vegetables a day, two of my carb choices are fruit. I also take a multi vitamin.

So for todays meals:
Breakfast: 1 cup non-fat cottage cheese and a banana
Snack: Protein Bar, 22 grams of protein, 18 grams of carbs, 210 calories
Lunch: 4 oz Ckicken Breast, Pink Lady Apple
Snack: Another protein bar, different flavor though.
Dinner: 1/2 cup of brown rice (spiced with pepper and garlic), 5 oz chicken breast, 2-3 cups of vegetables.
Snack: A third protein bar. (I like these because they are easy.)

This typically gets me between 1500 and 1800 calories a day, but because I am constantly eating, my metabolism stays up.

One day a week is cheat day, and I get to eat any piece of junk I can imagine within a 24 hour window.
Not only does it help keep me on track for the week, but it keeps my body guessing.

There is my unsolicited help for the morning.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by chipsgt View Post
Not exactly true. Diet is important, but so is exercise. They are equal in importance.

Both of those things done independantly will net okay losses in weight. However, in order to have a truely effective program you absolutely MUST combine diet with excercise.

Its one of the hardest things for people to change, and they usually dont stick with.

Secret is (and this is just in general) you have to eat the right things, in the right proportions, the right number of times per day.
For me, and this is just what I use (coupled with exercise I am down 21 lbs in 8 weeks) for diet:
6 meals daily, balanced carbs and protien with each meal, at least 3 servings of vegetables a day, two of my carb choices are fruit. I also take a multi vitamin.

So for todays meals:
Dinner: 1/2 cup of brown rice (spiced with pepper and garlic), 5 oz chicken breast, 2-3 cups of vegetables.

This typically gets me between 1500 and 1800 calories a day, but because I am constantly eating, my metabolism stays up.

One day a week is cheat day, and I get to eat any piece of junk I can imagine within a 24 hour window.
Not only does it help keep me on track for the week, but it keeps my body guessing.

That very last part is VERY important. Both mentally and physically. Physically, you have to keep your body on it's toes. Mentally, it is a reward for behaving all week.

BTW, with Insanity, I am on the same basic program. Lots of lean, lot's of protein, and 5 meals a day. I set my caloric goal at 1800 and I am between 1600 and 1900 everyday.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by OrngBalt View Post
That very last part is VERY important. Both mentally and physically. Physically, you have to keep your body on it's toes. Mentally, it is a reward for behaving all week.

BTW, with Insanity, I am on the same basic program. Lots of lean, lot's of protein, and 5 meals a day. I set my caloric goal at 1800 and I am between 1600 and 1900 everyday.
Not only is it a reward for hard work, but it is a WHOLE lot easier to stick to a plan if you only have to do it for 6 days vs a plan that has you eating diet food for the forseeable future!

Thats why most diets fail, because there is no end in sight.
Becuase there is no end in sight, a lot of people will cheat once, and then feel so bad about it that they eat more but promise to be good tomorrow, and then it turns into two days, then a week and so on. It goes like quicksand and you end up right back with your old habits.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:44 AM

Not only is it a reward for hard work, but it is a WHOLE lot easier to stick to a plan if you only have to do it for 6 days vs a plan that has you eating diet food for the forseeable future!

Thats why most diets fail, because there is no end in sight.
Becuase there is no end in sight, a lot of people will cheat once, and then feel so bad about it that they eat more but promise to be good tomorrow, and then it turns into two days, then a week and so on. It goes like quicksand and you end up right back with your old habits.
Completely true. Back a couple years ago I did a weightlifters diet. It was zero carbs, all lean protein with a carb up day each weekend. I modified it to zero carbs and lean protein during the week. Saturday was eat anything I wanted day, Sunday was Eat what you want, but healtier. I rewarded myself each weekend and in 3 months I lost 4 months I lost 50lbs. Unfortunately, I never really changed any of my behaviors or started working out so when I stopped... I regressed.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:55 AM

So for todays meals:

thanks alot man this is really going to be helpful for me.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by GSDIESEL300 View Post
thanks alot man this is really going to be helpful for me.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/18583476/I...utrition-Guide

Lots of options... give it a look.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:29 AM

sup guys ive done some research on this current issue i have and didnt really find a definite answer, anyways lately at the gym (as of five months now) ive been having this problem, I would come in all energized ready to work out and after 3 sets on two different work outs my heart would get all pumped up and beat fairly quick but zero energy, it happens 1/7 times im at the gym, I do take jack3d but this has happened to me before I bought it so I why i started taking it for a boost(took about 2.5 scoops today), anywho its like an anxiety attack or something im guessing. My heart slows down after I get home from gym but throughout the day I pretty much have to drag myself to get around. Could my breathing be affecting my heart rate to that kind of point?
Old 04-20-2010, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by BlackOnBlackSS View Post
sup guys ive done some research on this current issue i have and didnt really find a definite answer, anyways lately at the gym (as of five months now) ive been having this problem, I would come in all energized ready to work out and after 3 sets on two different work outs my heart would get all pumped up and beat fairly quick but zero energy, it happens 1/7 times im at the gym, I do take jack3d but this has happened to me before I bought it so I why i started taking it for a boost(took about 2.5 scoops today), anywho its like an anxiety attack or something im guessing. My heart slows down after I get home from gym but throughout the day I pretty much have to drag myself to get around. Could my breathing be affecting my heart rate to that kind of point?
Honestly, I would eliminate the suppliments. Unless you are body building you dont need them.
I messed around with suppliments for a while, and would get things like erratic heart beat, and stuff like that. What I found most was that it raised my blood pressure to unsafe levels.

As for zero energy, you need to make sure of the following things:
1: You are eating a proper diet.
2: You are staying hydrated.
3: You are getting enough sleep. (this is a lot more important than people think)
4: You are staying away from simulants (caffeine and sugar) prior to your workout.

In fact, following the first three should make number four a breeze.

But if you are using stimulants before a workout, it might be as simple as you are just crashing.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:21 AM

for the past 4 days ive been having 6 meals aday in smaller proportions as chipsgt suggested and when i started i was 178 i wanted to lose weight faster but this is more healthy and i feel stronger and im still losing weight. i weighed 174.6 this morning.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by GSDIESEL300 View Post
for the past 4 days ive been having 6 meals aday in smaller proportions as chipsgt suggested and when i started i was 178 i wanted to lose weight faster but this is more healthy and i feel stronger and im still losing weight. i weighed 174.6 this morning.
4 pounds in 4 days is a lot!
Good job!
Old 04-20-2010, 11:43 AM

4 pounds in 4 days is a lot!
Good job!
thank you
Old 04-21-2010, 01:12 PM

just so yall know if you weigh yourself in the morning when you first wake up vs sometime during the day it will be a 3 - 5lb difference.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by ericgt79 View Post
just so yall know if you weigh yourself in the morning when you first wake up vs sometime during the day it will be a 3 - 5lb difference.
depends on how you eat that was true before i started that diet. now i wake up if it says 174 in the morning at night it will say between 173.5 and 175.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:30 PM

anyone know any good excercises or machines to use to tone thigh muscles?? same for abs?? i'm a newb to the whole working out thing. Thanks!!
Old 04-22-2010, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by ChevelleGrl View Post
anyone know any good excercises or machines to use to tone thigh muscles?? same for abs?? i'm a newb to the whole working out thing. Thanks!!
To be completely honest there is no one excercise that is going to tone anything up. There is no such thing as target fat loss.

Meaning you cant lower the fat around your abs by doing a heavy workout. You will lower the fat all over your body.

First you should look at setting some goals about where you want to be.
Then get on a solid workout plan. Including lifts for all three of your major muscle groups and the supporting ones as well.

with the proper diet and workout plan you will be where you need to be soon!

Just dont be the girl that spends 20 minutes on the elliptical and then thinks you have done a heavy cardio workout.

Ellipticals are pretty much useless in my book. Run or swim
Old 04-23-2010, 07:57 AM

Why do you think Ellipticals are useless?

They give what you put into them. The harder you work, the more benefit you will recieve. The same could be said for any cardio.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:52 AM

Why do you think Ellipticals are useless?

They give what you put into them. The harder you work, the more benefit you will recieve. The same could be said for any cardio.
ellipticals rely on momentum. Once you get them going it takes less work to keep it moving.

You have to use it for far longer than running or swimming.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by the_rainmaker View Post
ellipticals rely on momentum. Once you get them going it takes less work to keep it moving.

You have to use it for far longer than running or swimming.
I see what your saying.
I use ellipticals, mostly as a knee saver.

The key I have found is to utilize interval training on them. I am constantly varying the speed, and resistance to get progressively harder. I end up a sweaty mess at the end of 30 minutes, thats for sure. I CAN run on a treadmill, but I have bad knees, plus I get bad shin splints. I have found the elliptical to be a god send, because I can really put out a lot of effort, without enduring any kind of leg pain.

Again, I think it like all cardio though boils down to you get out of it what you put into it. I know I push my self a lot harder on the eliptical than most people. And using resistance on them is a MUST, because you are absolutely correct, when there is no resistance, they are very easy to keep moving.

But I have found the heart rate monitor to be an excellent guage of how hard I am working.
I stay between 130 and 170 BPM for a typical 30 minute session.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:10 AM

I see what your saying.
I use ellipticals, mostly as a knee saver.

The key I have found is to utilize interval training on them. I am constantly varying the speed, and resistance to get progressively harder. I end up a sweaty mess at the end of 30 minutes, thats for sure. I CAN run on a treadmill, but I have bad knees, plus I get bad shin splints. I have found the elliptical to be a god send, because I can really put out a lot of effort, without enduring any kind of leg pain.

Again, I think it like all cardio though boils down to you get out of it what you put into it. I know I push my self a lot harder on the eliptical than most people. And using resistance on them is a MUST, because you are absolutely correct, when there is no resistance, they are very easy to keep moving.

But I have found the heart rate monitor to be an excellent guage of how hard I am working.
I stay between 130 and 170 BPM for a typical 30 minute session.

Yeah for people with bad knees who need a low/no impact option they do work out. But like you said you have to really push it.

For your shin splints try running backwards on a treadmill at a low speed
Old 05-17-2010, 05:46 PM

so I started P90X again lol...... yeah I've been on and off.... lol last time I did it I went for 2 weeks and lost ten lbs.

Question is, I was wondering if yall would recommend any kind of supplements to help with weight loss?

I'm gonna try for the fire dept in Sept and I have enough time to go through P90X and get into shape.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:39 AM

this stuff is GREAT as a protein shake, low calorie/carbs and tons of protein plus it tastes great! I have the strawberry
Old 05-18-2010, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Dragonsfire12345 View Post
so I started P90X again lol...... yeah I've been on and off.... lol last time I did it I went for 2 weeks and lost ten lbs.

Question is, I was wondering if yall would recommend any kind of supplements to help with weight loss?

I'm gonna try for the fire dept in Sept and I have enough time to go through P90X and get into shape.
No. Just take a multi Vitamin and eat right. If you do that, you should get everything you need from your food.
I wouldnt mess with any suppliments designed to help you lose weight. A lot of them arent any good, and the ones that do work can be dangerous.
You are safer doing the old fashioned way, and like you said, you have time to do that.
You will feel a LOT better about doing it that way.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:56 AM

insanity work out >p90x
you dont need equipment with
the insanity
Old 05-18-2010, 10:17 AM
RJT

I really like this routine, I mix it up , I will do 5x5 s for a month....then go back on my regular alternate routines.
If you want to build muscle,5x5 s rock....take protein,drink lots of water....lots of water...I like 72 hrs rest on 5x5 s though....muscles rebuild when you are at rest with protein...a good protein has your amino acids.

http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5...ining-program/
Closed Thread