official weight loss/health care/weightlifting thread - Page 13 - Cobalt SS Network

The Lounge Off Topic PG-13. Introductions, cars, movies, work, relationships, etc.

Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 12:08 AM   #301  

yeah I saw that insanity workout, I think it would be better for me cuz I have very few weights. I find myself either struggling or don't have enough to do it.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:27 PM   #302  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonsfire12345 View Post
so I started P90X again lol...... yeah I've been on and off.... lol last time I did it I went for 2 weeks and lost ten lbs.

Question is, I was wondering if yall would recommend any kind of supplements to help with weight loss?

I'm gonna try for the fire dept in Sept and I have enough time to go through P90X and get into shape.
Eat 6-7 small healthy meals a day. Lots of lean protein and veggies and good whole grains.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:51 AM   #303  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnigear View Post
insanity work out >p90x
you dont need equipment with
the insanity
They are designed for two different things.
Old 05-20-2010, 03:48 PM   #304  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator2 View Post
Eat 6-7 small healthy meals a day. Lots of lean protein and veggies and good whole grains.
Will help keep blood sugar/insulin levels more constant and will help control cholesterol and blood pressure in better regions, but for weight loss there is little scientific evidence that meal frequency is a statistically significant variable in weight loss.

Interesting read: http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/pr/2008/080215.htm

I would go as far as saying as long as you are having 3 meals a day (as opposed to 1-2) you are fine, if you feel like splitting up those calories into more meals its not going to hurt, a lot of people have trouble fitting more than 3 meals into a schedule.
Old 05-20-2010, 05:18 PM   #305  

I eat breakfast at work at 10:20, lunch around 2pm or 3pm when I get home, and dinner is around 6-7pm.
Old 05-20-2010, 05:32 PM   #306  

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJT View Post
I really like this routine, I mix it up , I will do 5x5 s for a month....then go back on my regular alternate routines.
If you want to build muscle,5x5 s rock....take protein,drink lots of water....lots of water...I like 72 hrs rest on 5x5 s though....muscles rebuild when you are at rest with protein...a good protein has your amino acids.

http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5...ining-program/
all proteins will have amino acids thats what protein is made of now there will be differences in the type of amino acid chains and what not inside though
Old 05-20-2010, 08:26 PM   #307  

anyone have any tips for someone that's a newbie to running??
Old 05-20-2010, 11:53 PM   #308  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevelleGrl View Post
yeah start off slow to see how well you do. start with about a 5 min warmup then find a good pace and when your done make sure you do a cooldown for about another 5 mins.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:08 AM   #309  

thanks =)
Old 05-21-2010, 01:13 AM   #310  

Quote:
Stretching when you start is not nearly as important as stretching when you are done, technically stretching when cold is overextending muscles and can cause damage. I used to run a lot and really just like said above a short cool down after is really all you need. When you first start it might be necessary to ice down after if really sore in shins.
Old 05-21-2010, 01:37 AM   #311  

i love this thread lol
Old 05-21-2010, 07:02 AM   #312  

Quote:
Originally Posted by krispy View Post
Stretching when you start is not nearly as important as stretching when you are done, technically stretching when cold is overextending muscles and can cause damage. I used to run a lot and really just like said above a short cool down after is really all you need. When you first start it might be necessary to ice down after if really sore in shins.
Also, dont run everyday. Start by doing it every 2 or 3 days until your body gets used to running. This will minimize the chances of developing stress fractures.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:58 AM   #313  

i just started working out this week, and im gonna take muslce milk protein shake after my workouts, and creatine before workouts, then im also taking a muti-vitamen in the mornings. im gonna run/jog/walk like a mile everyday to switch it up, and lift weights.

is there anything i should do to help gain some muscle, i weight like 240 right now and im 6'3, i have a fat belly and chest, looking to turn all fat to muslce, thanks.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:16 PM   #314  

Quote:
Originally Posted by seller232004 View Post
i just started working out this week, and im gonna take muslce milk protein shake after my workouts, and creatine before workouts, then im also taking a muti-vitamen in the mornings. im gonna run/jog/walk like a mile everyday to switch it up, and lift weights.

is there anything i should do to help gain some muscle, i weight like 240 right now and im 6'3, i have a fat belly and chest, looking to turn all fat to muslce, thanks.
i would find a diffrent protien muscle milk has kind of alot of fat. i would say to cut weight before you try to gain muscle. you cant turn "fat" into muscle you can only lose fat and THEN build muscle.
Old 05-21-2010, 01:29 PM   #315  

I would recommend staying away from Creatine.
In my experiance, creatine makes bigger muscles, but not stronger muscles.
Creatine causes muscle to become full with water, thus making you appear bigger than your strength would support.
Also, I would just get a whey protein powder that you can mix with water.
It may taste like butt hole, but you will get minimal extra calories that way.

Muscle milk can make people fat if they are not carefull.
Old 05-21-2010, 03:26 PM   #316  

Quote:
You'll burn more calories if you do High Intenisty Interval Running. After about a 5 minute walk or jog warm up, you basically sprint as hard as you can for 20 seconds, and then walk or jog for 10 seconds, then repeat that set for about 15-20 minutes, then cool down by jogging or walking for about 5 minutes (or however long it takes you to get back to your house).

There's been studies that show that doing HIIT running burns more calories and body fat in a shorter amount of time AND builds endurance at the same time.

I'd like to add, you wanna stretch your legs after the warm up, but before the workout, and then again you wanna stretch after you finish, during the cooldown.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:24 PM   #317  

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlurpleSS View Post
There's been studies that show that doing HIIT running burns more calories and body fat in a shorter amount of time AND builds endurance at the same time.
HIIT ******* rocks for losing weight and building strength/endurance, personally I'd rather do it on a bike (stationary w/ fan or otherwise). HIIT running when you are not used to running is really harsh on shins/knees.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:51 PM   #318  
Platinum Member

figured i'd contribute here. back in november of 2009 i weighed 212 and roughly 20-22% body fat. ugh . considering i played soccer since i could walk and stopped in the early part of 2008 and was always fit, i didn't like being this way. i graduated hs in may of '08 and worked on and off for two years before deciding to join the military(decided this in nov. of '09). but i knew they wouldn't take me the way i was, so it was time for a change. this is what i looked like back in 2009.

pretty gross. i wasn't disciplined enough to be able to make a drastic change in my diet, so all i did was eat a less amount over all daily, and eat 6 times a day, spread out, to keep my metabolism high.

my cardio had basically gone to nothing since i hadn't done any cardio excersize in about one and a half to two years. buy my calf muscles were still there, so i started out by walking at a fairly quick pace 3 miles every day for just a couple months. i used to have some pictures of my progress but i think i may have deleted them. but here is a picture from ~early january i believe. lost about 10-11lbs in 3 months by ONLY walking 3miles each day, lowering my overall daily food intake, and eating 6 times a day.

now the fun begins. everyone(well most everyone) thinks you need a gym membership, protein bars, supplements, muscle builders, etc to get fit and back in to shape. not true. i never touched a gym, never touched any protein bars, never took any protein shakes, no before/after workout meals or whatever. i started out by running 3miles in the morning. and then in the afternoon i would go to the track and run 1 mile. except during this mile, every half a lap, i would stop-do 25 situps(no matter how long it took) and then run the second half of the lap. at the end of the second half of the lap i would stop-do 25 pushups(no matter how long it took. and trust me, its definitely a selfesteem crusher to find out you can't do 25 continuous pushups haha). so i did that till the end of feb. then in the beginning of march i switched things up. my cardio at this point was amazing, if my nose wasn't clogged lol, i could run 4 miles at a 9min/mile pace...without opening my mouth. so my workout then went to running to the midhighschool track(~1mile) and running 2miles while doing the 25 pushups and situps every half a lap. so when i was done with those i had 3 miles in and 200 pushups and 200 situps(25 each per lap..8 laps). then i proceeded to run down the road the school was on(~1/4mile), make a right turn down another road(~1/2mile), then yet another right turn down another road lol(this one was 1mile). and then finally back home.

and let me restate that, i never went to a gym, never took any supplements, kept eating the same things. all i did was take in less daily and spread it out to eat 6 times a day. so throughout all this i've been talking and just signed(on may 4th) with the army. and i decided to see how i'd do during basic and AIT, so i tested myself with the AIT 60point minimum for graduation. 2miles in 15:54, 53 situps in 2 minutes, and 42 pushups in 2 minutes....and passed with flying colors. and after not being able to ever do 15 continuously, 42 felt oh so satisfying.

i haven't met my final goal yet. that goal is 185lbs with an 8% body fat. right now i'm sitting at 186lbs and 12% body fat. but seeing as how i was once 212 and 20%. i'm ****** stoked. heres the end result.

from this:

to this, in 5months:

Old 05-23-2010, 02:10 PM   #319  

good work man i used to be 220, this is me now at 6' 175... after summer i want to get up to about 200
Old 05-23-2010, 02:17 PM   #320  

Last year @ this time I was ~205 @ 6'0", now I'm @ ~175, pretty much all of it came through diet but I started working out again and doing **** outside a few weeks ago.

http://i45.tinypic.com/mma7i0.jpg
Old 06-14-2010, 03:56 PM   #321  

I just started working out again after taking about a year and a half off. For the last 7 weeks I have been doing pullups, pushups and dips at home. I got tired of working out at home with no real equipment so last Wednesday, I joined a local gym. I have been going every day since then (I am going to take a few days off in a row this week because I have other things I have to do).

Stats as of the 4/25/10 Stats as of 6/14/10

Height : 5' 8" Height : 5' 8" not getting any taller LOL

Weight: 150 lbs Weight : 173 lbs

Body Fat : 7% Body Fat : 8%

Total Pushups : 55 no rest Total Pushups : 100 no rest

Total Dips : 12 no rest Total Dips : 75 no rest

Total Pullups : 5 no rest Total Pullups 16 no rest.

Dumbell Bench : Not sure Dumbell Bench : 190lbs (95 lbs each) 6 reps

Lat pull downs : Not sure Lat pull downs : 200 lbs 5 reps

Bench Press : Not sure Bench Press : Will find out later today

Goals as of the end of this year.

Weight : 190-195 lbs

Body fat : 6%

Total Pushups : 135 no rest

Total Dips : 100 no rest

Total pullups : 25 no rest

Dumbell Bench : 200 lbs 12 reps (biggest this gym has are the 100 lb dumbells)

Bench press : 225 lbs 12 reps

Lat pull downs : 240 lbs 8 reps

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipsgt View Post
I would recommend staying away from Creatine.
In my experiance, creatine makes bigger muscles, but not stronger muscles.
Creatine causes muscle to become full with water, thus making you appear bigger than your strength would support.
Also, I would just get a whey protein powder that you can mix with water.
It may taste like butt hole, but you will get minimal extra calories that way.

Muscle milk can make people fat if they are not carefull.
You would have to inactive as heck to get fat from a bottle (260 calories) of muscle milk. The fats in it are mostly mono and polyunsaturated fats which are good for you. It is relatively low in carbs compared to energy drinks. If you drink 5 bottles a day and do little exercise yes it could make you fat but 90% of your caloric intake normally comes from other food.

Last edited by Terminator2; 06-15-2010 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-15-2010, 11:53 AM   #322  

Update: Barbell Benchpress yesterday I did
185 lbs 10 reps.
205 lbs 8 reps.
225 lbs 5 reps.

Not bad considering how long I have been away from lifting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krispy View Post
Will help keep blood sugar/insulin levels more constant and will help control cholesterol and blood pressure in better regions, but for weight loss there is little scientific evidence that meal frequency is a statistically significant variable in weight loss.

Interesting read: http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/pr/2008/080215.htm

I would go as far as saying as long as you are having 3 meals a day (as opposed to 1-2) you are fine, if you feel like splitting up those calories into more meals its not going to hurt, a lot of people have trouble fitting more than 3 meals into a schedule.
Going longer than 3 hours or so between meals is a sure fire way to cause your blood sugar to get low which increases hunger cravings and decreases your metabolic rate. Keeping your blood sugar consistant will keep your energy level and metabolic rate up which will help you loose body fat and build muscle when combined with exercise.

Last edited by Terminator2; 06-15-2010 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-19-2010, 03:12 PM   #323  

hey guys quick question about creatine, I take jack3d before gym, 2.5 scoops, been taking that amount for about a month and a half, a week ago my brother bought some creatine, monohydrate (GNC brand) anyways I take a teaspoon of that with my 2.5 scoops of jack3d before the gym and I was wondering if thats an overkill or not. Reason for taking before working out is that I read creatine stays in your body for about 1.5 hrs or so before your body flushes it out. I workout for about an hour so its like a perfect chemistry for me. Anywho I go through 2.5 20 fl. oz. water bottles at the gym and at work after I stay very well hydrated. I **** about 6 times a day after workout throughout the day. Since Jack3d has some creatine also should I balance it out instead? Like take jack3d before gym and the mono after?
Old 06-19-2010, 03:22 PM   #324  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator2 View Post
I just started working out again after taking about a year and a half off. For the last 7 weeks I have been doing pullups, pushups and dips at home. I got tired of working out at home with no real equipment so last Wednesday, I joined a local gym. I have been going every day since then (I am going to take a few days off in a row this week because I have other things I have to do).
You should consider adding squats and/or deadlifts to your routine. Not only do they work the largest muscles in your body, legs, they also involve the majority of the rest of the muscles in some way. The time it takes to learn them correctly is well worth the benefits.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:46 PM   #325  

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmharsh View Post
You should consider adding squats and/or deadlifts to your routine. Not only do they work the largest muscles in your body, legs, they also involve the majority of the rest of the muscles in some way. The time it takes to learn them correctly is well worth the benefits.
I agree 100% now that I have access to the equipment I need to do those exercises.
Doing, squats, leg press, leg extensions, dips, decline bench, incline bench, rows, lat pulldowns, pullups, curls, tricep extensions, leg raises, calf raises, and a few other exercises. No dead lifts yet and I need to buy a new weight belt (used to fit when I weighed 145 lbs now I am almost 180 lbs) if I am going to do any heavy deadlifts.

Closed Thread