official weight loss/health care/weightlifting thread - Page 14 - Cobalt SS Network



The Lounge Off Topic PG-13. Introductions, cars, movies, work, relationships, etc.

Closed Thread
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-25-2010, 01:48 PM   #326  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: 12-02-06
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,473
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FYI weight belts dont do ****. Save your money. They can mess up your back worse using one then not.
07SuperchargedSS is offline  
Old 06-25-2010, 01:53 PM   #327  
Senior Member
iTrader: (17)
 
Join Date: 09-12-09
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,458
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07SuperchargedSS View Post
FYI weight belts dont do ****. Save your money. They can mess up your back worse using one then not.
not entirely true, only if you lift like an idiot, fast and without technique. it relieves stress on your back and improves your technique if used correctly. also in competition when using bench shirts or squat suits it keeps the equipment in place so that you don't lose any pop as you set up for the lift.
GSDIESEL300 is offline  
Old 06-25-2010, 02:12 PM   #328  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 07-25-08
Location: Florida
Posts: 12,478
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Update as of yesterday I weighed in at 178 lbs. So I have gained 5 lbs in the last 10 days. I guess all this eating and working out is paying off. Right now I am eating approx 5,000-6,000 calories a day 20% from protein, 20% from fat and 60% from carbs. Waist size has not gone up much at all considering I have gained nearly 30 lbs in ~9 weeks (was 28.5" now is 29.5").

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDIESEL300 View Post
not entirely true, only if you lift like an idiot, fast and without technique. it relieves stress on your back and improves your technique if used correctly. also in competition when using bench shirts or squat suits it keeps the equipment in place so that you don't lose any pop as you set up for the lift.
I agree. I have never used one of those crazy shirts though. Anytime I do heavy dead lifts or clean and jerks I use a weight belt. It does work.

Last edited by Terminator2; 06-25-2010 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Terminator2 is offline  
Old 06-25-2010, 02:19 PM   #329  
Senior Member
iTrader: (17)
 
Join Date: 09-12-09
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,458
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator2 View Post
Update as of yesterday I weighed in at 178 lbs. So I have gained 5 lbs in the last 10 days. I guess all this eating and working out is paying off. Right now I am eating approx 5,000-6,000 calories a day 20% from protein, 20% from fat and 60% from carbs. Waist size has not gone up much at all considering I have gained nearly 30 lbs in ~9 weeks (was 28.5" now is 29.5").
nice lol your trying to gain and im trying to lose. i posted in here maybe a month ago maybe a little more i was 183 and on blood thinners. i was much fatter than i use to be. i am only 5'5 now i'm 168 and off of blood thinners so i can be as active as i want and lift whatever i want. my biceps grew an inch and a half from 15 to 16 1/2 inches. waist went from 34 almost 35 to 32's being loose. 0 abs to 4 ish sometimes 6. chest from 40 to 43 inches. when i started working out again i could barely do 35 push ups without rest now i can do 150 without rest. so 15 pounds in about a month i'm where i wanted to be exactly.
GSDIESEL300 is offline  
Old 06-25-2010, 02:52 PM   #330  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 07-25-08
Location: Florida
Posts: 12,478
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDIESEL300 View Post
nice lol your trying to gain and im trying to lose. i posted in here maybe a month ago maybe a little more i was 183 and on blood thinners. i was much fatter than i use to be. i am only 5'5 now i'm 168 and off of blood thinners so i can be as active as i want and lift whatever i want. my biceps grew an inch and a half from 15 to 16 1/2 inches. waist went from 34 almost 35 to 32's being loose. 0 abs to 4 ish sometimes 6. chest from 40 to 43 inches. when i started working out again i could barely do 35 push ups without rest now i can do 150 without rest. so 15 pounds in about a month i'm where i wanted to be exactly.
Im 5' 8" and according to those BMI calculators I am overweight but because my body fat percentage is about 8% it is mostly muscle anyway. My goals are 200-205 lbs, 5-6% body fat, and to add another 3-5 inches to my arms, legs and chest. Arms are 15* right now 13* when I started. Chest was 38 when I started 43" currently. Keep up the good work.
Terminator2 is offline  
Old 06-25-2010, 02:59 PM   #331  
Senior Member
iTrader: (17)
 
Join Date: 09-12-09
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,458
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator2 View Post
Im 5' 8" and according to those BMI calculators I am overweight but because my body fat percentage is about 8% it is mostly muscle anyway. My goals are 200-205 lbs, 5-6% body fat, and to add another 3-5 inches to my arms, legs and chest. Arms are 15* right now 13* when I started. Chest was 38 when I started 43" currently. Keep up the good work.
good job man. thanks you too
GSDIESEL300 is offline  
Old 06-25-2010, 06:36 PM   #332  
Member
 
Join Date: 03-26-09
Location: MI
Posts: 223
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator2 View Post
I agree 100% now that I have access to the equipment I need to do those exercises.
Doing, squats, leg press, leg extensions, dips, decline bench, incline bench, rows, lat pulldowns, pullups, curls, tricep extensions, leg raises, calf raises, and a few other exercises. No dead lifts yet and I need to buy a new weight belt (used to fit when I weighed 145 lbs now I am almost 180 lbs) if I am going to do any heavy deadlifts.
You could really condense all of that down into basic barbell lifts: squat, deadlift, bench press, overhead press. and rows. Pull-ups could be added or substituted for rows. You should pick up a copy of Starting Strength, it goes very in depth on how to do the lifts correctly; the squat chapter is around 60 pages alone. Lots of good information on the site too and the author will critique your lifts in the forum if you post a video -> http://startingstrength.com/
tmharsh is offline  
Old 06-26-2010, 09:49 AM   #333  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 07-25-08
Location: Florida
Posts: 12,478
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmharsh View Post
You could really condense all of that down into basic barbell lifts: squat, deadlift, bench press, overhead press. and rows. Pull-ups could be added or substituted for rows. You should pick up a copy of Starting Strength, it goes very in depth on how to do the lifts correctly; the squat chapter is around 60 pages alone. Lots of good information on the site too and the author will critique your lifts in the forum if you post a video -> http://startingstrength.com/
I rotate between different moves. I use dumbells sometimes I use barbells other times. Gotta change it up to keep the muscles confused so they grow. I am not new to strength training I used to lift competitively.

Last edited by Terminator2; 06-26-2010 at 10:04 AM.
Terminator2 is offline  
Old 06-28-2010, 03:31 PM   #334  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
averagewhiteboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-23-05
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 8,761
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey guys, just looking for a quick answer or series of suggestions here. I started going to the gym this week (doing a trial week at LA Fitness) and I will be joining afterwards. And for the past several weeks, I've been doing regular crunches, push-ups, pull-up's, etc. And for my job, I'm constantly lifting and throwing items weighing 50+ pounds. Overall, I'd say I'm fit, but certainly not a body builder or anything. I've got muscle, but I haven't been at it enough to be toned or anything. But my main concern is the infamous beer gut. It's not huge, but it's there. I don't need the abs of "The Situation" or anything, however I'd like to cut it down a little. I'm good everywhere else, then the belly is there. I'm about 185 pounds, 6'2". Definitely not huge. Just got the gut. When I was in high school, I did football and basketball, and was far more built. But during college, I got lazy. Now I'm getting back into it. Should I just keep at the proper nutrition and keep doing lots of crunches, or would you suggest more? Thanks!!
averagewhiteboy is offline  
Old 06-28-2010, 03:39 PM   #335  
Senior Member
iTrader: (17)
 
Join Date: 09-12-09
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,458
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagewhiteboy View Post
Hey guys, just looking for a quick answer or series of suggestions here. I started going to the gym this week (doing a trial week at LA Fitness) and I will be joining afterwards. And for the past several weeks, I've been doing regular crunches, push-ups, pull-up's, etc. And for my job, I'm constantly lifting and throwing items weighing 50+ pounds. Overall, I'd say I'm fit, but certainly not a body builder or anything. I've got muscle, but I haven't been at it enough to be toned or anything. But my main concern is the infamous beer gut. It's not huge, but it's there. I don't need the abs of "The Situation" or anything, however I'd like to cut it down a little. I'm good everywhere else, then the belly is there. I'm about 185 pounds, 6'2". Definitely not huge. Just got the gut. When I was in high school, I did football and basketball, and was far more built. But during college, I got lazy. Now I'm getting back into it. Should I just keep at the proper nutrition and keep doing lots of crunches, or would you suggest more? Thanks!!
build up your upper body bench, curls, triceps, traps, lats that would make your stomach look smaller. you'll also have to cut down some calories maybe a 1500-2000 a day diet if you want to lose the stomach. but if you want to get bigger and stronger eat 5000 calories a day and work out for an hour and a half to 2 hours. i'm not an expert on losing stomach fat so i'll be watching for this answer to but thats what i have been doing.
GSDIESEL300 is offline  
Old 06-28-2010, 04:27 PM   #336  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
averagewhiteboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-23-05
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 8,761
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Word. Thanks. We'll see if we can find an answer. I'm still figuring out what these muscles and machines are called.. haha
averagewhiteboy is offline  
Old 06-29-2010, 09:38 AM   #337  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 07-25-08
Location: Florida
Posts: 12,478
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagewhiteboy View Post
Hey guys, just looking for a quick answer or series of suggestions here. I started going to the gym this week (doing a trial week at LA Fitness) and I will be joining afterwards. And for the past several weeks, I've been doing regular crunches, push-ups, pull-up's, etc. And for my job, I'm constantly lifting and throwing items weighing 50+ pounds. Overall, I'd say I'm fit, but certainly not a body builder or anything. I've got muscle, but I haven't been at it enough to be toned or anything. But my main concern is the infamous beer gut. It's not huge, but it's there. I don't need the abs of "The Situation" or anything, however I'd like to cut it down a little. I'm good everywhere else, then the belly is there. I'm about 185 pounds, 6'2". Definitely not huge. Just got the gut. When I was in high school, I did football and basketball, and was far more built. But during college, I got lazy. Now I'm getting back into it. Should I just keep at the proper nutrition and keep doing lots of crunches, or would you suggest more? Thanks!!
You are actually pretty light for 6' 2" I am suprised you can have a belly at 6' 2" 185lbs.
Proper nutrition will do 80% of the work as far as loosing your belly fat (exercise is about 20%). Read all your food labels. Eat nothing containing partially hydrogenated, hydrogenated or fully hydrogenated oils. No high fructose corn syrup. Limit simple sugars and simple starches like potatos (sweet potatos are a good alternative actually) nothing but 100% whole grain bread. No fried food.

Last edited by Terminator2; 06-29-2010 at 10:11 AM.
Terminator2 is offline  
Old 06-29-2010, 11:36 AM   #338  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
averagewhiteboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-23-05
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 8,761
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Word. Yeah, I got a bit slacky for awhile. I'm perfectly fit and thin everywhere but there.. haha I've already started adjusting my diet, so we'll see how that and exercise goes.. Any type of exercises you'd suggest to try to further tone?
averagewhiteboy is offline  
Old 06-29-2010, 11:42 AM   #339  
Thread Killer
iTrader: (6)
 
FrossB's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-19-09
Location: Gering, Nebraska
Posts: 7,456
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anybody on here have a bodyspace? Its really helpful...alot of good info on there!
FrossB is offline  
Old 06-29-2010, 11:47 AM   #340  
Senior Member
iTrader: (17)
 
Join Date: 09-12-09
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,458
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagewhiteboy View Post
Word. Yeah, I got a bit slacky for awhile. I'm perfectly fit and thin everywhere but there.. haha I've already started adjusting my diet, so we'll see how that and exercise goes.. Any type of exercises you'd suggest to try to further tone?
all of them..light weight with higher reps. it is better to do it per day with 2 muscles that work together. such as: back/biceps, chest/triceps etc.
GSDIESEL300 is offline  
Old 06-29-2010, 11:50 AM   #341  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 09-07-05
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,533
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
do a cycle of d ball.
SuperchargedSS is offline  
Old 06-29-2010, 11:52 AM   #342  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
averagewhiteboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-23-05
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 8,761
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was actually referring to the gut.. haha The arms, etc are coming along nicely..

Although, what are good machines to use to exercise the outer parts of your arms?

And do your guys use any supplements? I take a Centrum everyday. Should I take anything else on days I work arms, do alot of strenuous exercise, etc?
averagewhiteboy is offline  
Old 06-29-2010, 01:28 PM   #343  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 07-25-08
Location: Florida
Posts: 12,478
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagewhiteboy View Post
Word. Yeah, I got a bit slacky for awhile. I'm perfectly fit and thin everywhere but there.. haha I've already started adjusting my diet, so we'll see how that and exercise goes.. Any type of exercises you'd suggest to try to further tone?
Do not waste your time doing a million crunches on the floor like most try to do. Try roman chair leg raises, flutter kicks, Sit ups with a small ball or pillow under your lower back so you have a fuller range of motion. Do side plank holds, plank walk and reverse plank.
Terminator2 is offline  
Old 06-29-2010, 02:20 PM   #344  
Member
 
Join Date: 03-26-09
Location: MI
Posts: 223
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagewhiteboy View Post
I was actually referring to the gut.. haha The arms, etc are coming along nicely..

Although, what are good machines to use to exercise the outer parts of your arms?

And do your guys use any supplements? I take a Centrum everyday. Should I take anything else on days I work arms, do alot of strenuous exercise, etc?
Dan John says barbell complexes will melt fat like nothing else. I wouldn't worry about finding a machine to hit specific areas of your arms. The best bang for your buck is the basic compound movements. Squat, deadlift, bench press, standing overhead press, pull ups, and dips.
tmharsh is offline  
Old 06-30-2010, 02:22 PM   #345  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
averagewhiteboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-23-05
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 8,761
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Excellent! Thanks guys!
averagewhiteboy is offline  
Old 07-01-2010, 12:53 PM   #346  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 07-25-08
Location: Florida
Posts: 12,478
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Update for me. I am officially at 180 lbs now. So 30 lbs gained in ~10 weeks. 25 lbs more to gain before I hit my goal weight. I feel like a slave to food right now.
Terminator2 is offline  
Old 07-07-2010, 05:22 PM   #347  
Senior Member
Platinum Member
iTrader: (14)
 
EXsoccer1921's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-04-08
Location: The 405
Posts: 37,072
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ruh Roh. looks like happy learned how to put.


EXsoccer1921 is offline  
Old 07-09-2010, 02:53 PM   #348  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 03-16-07
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 2,924
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been doing CrossFit WOD's lately and they've been kicking my ass! Yesterday, I walking lunged 2 football fields, and did 81 pull ups, and 81 sit ups in 20 minutes and 57 seconds.

Today I have as many rounds as possible in 20 minutes:
9 reps, 225lb deadlift
8 sets of 3 chin-ups/3 dips
9 reps, 135lb squat cleans

The goal is 4 rounds in 20 minutes.
BlurpleSS is offline  
Old 07-29-2010, 01:27 PM   #349  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 07-25-08
Location: Florida
Posts: 12,478
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Update for me 188 lbs now. Bench press is up to 300 lbs. I can do 70 dips (100 bench dips) without stopping. 100 pushups without stopping. 15 pullups strait, 10 wide grip chinups strait. Squat max is 405 lbs. I got another 22 lbs of weight to gain before I decrease my caloric intake. Currently consuming 5,000-6,000 calories per day. 300-350G of protein 120-130G fat 800-900G of carbs per day. Caloric needs based on activity and weight for me are 3,800 to maintain so I will be cutting back to 3600-3700 and working from there. The main thing is I need to cut my carbs and fat back. I plan on eating 40% calories from protein (360-370G) 35-40% from carbs (315-360G) and 20-25% from fat (90-100G)
Terminator2 is offline  
Old 08-02-2010, 04:45 PM   #350  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 07-25-08
Location: Florida
Posts: 12,478
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXsoccer1921 View Post
Ruh Roh. looks like happy learned how to put.


Are you trying to flex in that pic? You need to do lots of Bicep and tricep work. Not hating just saying.
Terminator2 is offline  
 
 
Closed Thread

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New steering rack Solaris99 08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion 28 03-15-2017 01:22 PM
Akron/Canton Cobalt Meet 06MetallicBalt Mid East 7 06-14-2016 02:17 PM
2.6 or 2.7 Builttss 2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 9 10-04-2015 10:21 AM
October FCOTM VOTING Thread riceburner Featured Car Showcase 23 10-02-2015 05:47 PM
LNF/LSJ in a 08 G5 ThoR294 General Cobalt 6 09-28-2015 05:31 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:06 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.