official weight loss/health care/weightlifting thread - Page 18 - Cobalt SS Network

Go Back  Cobalt SS Network > Community > The Lounge
official weight loss/health care/weightlifting thread >

official weight loss/health care/weightlifting thread

The Lounge Off Topic PG-13. Introductions, cars, movies, work, relationships, etc.

official weight loss/health care/weightlifting thread

Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by 08redcobalt View Post
Ok well I started my diet friday.

I worked all day, so I didnt actually get to eat until 5 pm. I had a 98% fat free roast beef sandwhich, or gluten free bread, and 2-3 baked lays.

Saturday, we went to a vegan resturant for lunch. I had a burrito, black beans, veggie meat, no rice, fresh alvacado, no cheese, and no sauce. And Iced tea with honey.

Dinner: Black bean patty on gluten free bread. Half a very small bag of baked lays.

Sunday: Grilled lemon pepper chicken carrotts and brocolli. I had half the order. Which included two chicken breast.

Dinner: I had the left overs.
You really should cut the starchy carbs like potatos and breads, pasta, rice etc. Even baked lays although they are perceived as healthier are mostly simple starches (empy calories). You should eat more often like 6-7 small meals (bring small healthy snacks to work). Also, you need to make sure you are eating 2-3 servings of whole fruits like apples, plums, pears, oranges, kiwi, blueberries, raspberries, etc (juices do not count here because you want the fiber from the whole fruits) and also 4-5 servings of whole veggies a day as well ( remember, potatos are not a veggie they are a starch like bread and cereal ) Make sure you eat breakfast (I recommend eggs or egg whites). Your largest meal should be breakfast and your smallest should be dinner. If you go all day (more than 6 hours or so) without eating your body goes into starvation mode wherein your metabolic rate plummets and your body tries it hardest to hold onto its fat stores which makes loosing weight very difficult. There are no shortcuts and you cannot outsmart a survival mechanism Eat often and eat clean!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Terminator2; 10-04-2010 at 12:39 PM.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Terminator2 View Post
You really should cut the starchy carbs like potatos and breads, pasta, rice etc. Even baked lays although they are perceived as healthier are mostly simple starches (empy calories). You should eat more often like 6-7 small meals (bring small healthy snacks to work). Also, you need to make sure you are eating 2-3 servings of whole fruits like apples, plums, pears, oranges, kiwi, blueberries, raspberries, etc (juices do not count here because you want the fiber from the whole fruits) and also 4-5 servings of whole veggies a day as well ( remember, potatos are not a veggie they are a starch like bread and cereal ) Make sure you eat breakfast (I recommend eggs or egg whites). Your largest meal should be breakfast and your smallest should be dinner. If you go all day (more than 6 hours or so) without eating your body goes into starvation mode wherein your metabolic rate plummets and your body tries it hardest to hold onto its fat stores which makes loosing weight very difficult. There are no shortcuts and you cannot outsmart a survival mechanism Eat often and eat clean!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gluten free bread is carb free lol. ***** awesome! And yes I know, I dont like potatos that much, so its easy to cut that **** out. And by eating baked lays. I ate like 4-6 chips. Not a big handful. I just am eating small meals. I cant believe I ever ate as much as I did.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:42 PM

I got sick of eggs for breakfast for the past few months. So I decided to switch it up. Now I'm eating oatmeal with vanilla protein mix and agave nector in it. It's to die for. Highly recommended!!
Old 10-04-2010, 03:48 PM

redbalt: along with your diet, I would aim for eating mostly protein as your last meal of the day (late night meal), and carbs AND protein during breakfast. Protein at night will help optimize your body's ability to recover while you sleep. Carbs at night isn't a good idea because it puts your body into a fat storage mode. Unless you are a distance running in season then you want to eat carbs before bed.

Another real easy meal to try is brown rice with tuna. UM NOM NOM NOM. put 2-3 cans of tuna mix with 1 cup rice. I add some spicey mustard for flavor (no mayo). I usually throw it in some glad ware, mix it together and bring it to work right in the same glad ware container.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by jbravoxc3 View Post
I got sick of eggs for breakfast for the past few months. So I decided to switch it up. Now I'm eating oatmeal with vanilla protein mix and agave nector in it. It's to die for. Highly recommended!!
You could try mixing in cinnamon as well for some extra antioxidents and also because it tastes great.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by 08redcobalt View Post
Gluten free bread is carb free lol. ***** awesome! And yes I know, I dont like potatos that much, so its easy to cut that **** out. And by eating baked lays. I ate like 4-6 chips. Not a big handful. I just am eating small meals. I cant believe I ever ate as much as I did.
Gluten is a protein found in wheat and a few other grains like rye and barley that some people cannot digest properly. It is bound to the starches in the grain but can easily be removed because starches dissolve in water but gluten does not. Gluten free bread does have carbs, it is lower in carbs normally but how much lower depends on the flour used to make the bread. I have seen anywhere from the same carb content as regular bread if rice flour is used to less than half the carb content if almond or soy flour is used. The fat content of gluten free bread is often higher than regular bread but the fats are normally of the unsaturated omega 6 variety. What type of flour is used to make the bread you are eating?

Last edited by Terminator2; 10-06-2010 at 10:13 AM.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:38 PM

You could try mixing in cinnamon as well for some extra antioxidents and also because it tastes great.
Great idea. I hope there's room in the bowl for some. When I mixed everything in it's usually right to the brim haha
Old 10-06-2010, 04:51 PM

Great idea. I hope there's room in the bowl for some. When I mixed everything in it's usually right to the brim haha
Bigger bowl. If you are trying to gain weight blending uncooked oats into a shake allows you to take in more oats without it being as filling. Uncooked oats are less filling because 2 cups uncooked oats will make 4 cups cooked oats so you have same calories but less bulk.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:25 AM

Bigger bowl. If you are trying to gain weight blending uncooked oats into a shake allows you to take in more oats without it being as filling. Uncooked oats are less filling because 2 cups uncooked oats will make 4 cups cooked oats so you have same calories but less bulk.
Yea I could always go buy a bigger bowl haha. Gaining weight right now is not a major issue with me. Marathon training and maintaing lean tissue mass is very difficult haha
Old 10-07-2010, 01:36 PM

Yea I could always go buy a bigger bowl haha. Gaining weight right now is not a major issue with me. Marathon training and maintaing lean tissue mass is very difficult haha
Yeah. IMHO if you are running (training of any kind really) that much it would be helpful if you supplement with 15-20 extra grams of glutamine a day. That along with adequate caloric intake will help reduce your lean tissue loss do to muscle breakdown from all that training.

Last edited by Terminator2; 10-07-2010 at 01:56 PM.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:25 PM

Yeah. IMHO if you are running (training of any kind really) that much it would be helpful if you supplement with 15-20 extra grams of glutamine a day. That along with adequate caloric intake will help reduce your lean tissue loss do to muscle breakdown from all that training.
Is the hyperbolic mass gainer stuff worth it?
Old 10-10-2010, 09:31 PM

It's really impossible to stop. The muscle fiber types are just going to change anyways to Type 1 fibers. Unfortunately this is just a law of physiology we cannot overcome. Strength training and aerobic training work against each other. curses.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Lapila82 View Post
I don't trust much nutritional supplements. Protein is protein. All this other nonsense like weight gainer, NO explode, mega protein, super duper mass builder stuff is worthless. No one regulates nutritional supplements so they can claim whatever they want to on the label with out any published research to back it up. Watch out for what you waste your money on at GNC/vitamin world etc.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:33 AM

It's really impossible to stop. The muscle fiber types are just going to change anyways to Type 1 fibers. Unfortunately this is just a law of physiology we cannot overcome. Strength training and aerobic training work against each other. curses.
They do work against each other to some degree but if you find a balance between aerobic training and anaerobic training you can do both things well. Finding that balance is difficult though.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Lapila82 View Post
If you are having trouble eating an extra 500-1000 calories a day than a mass gainer shake is a good idea IMHO. I make my own shakes because the ones you buy are often just sugar and a little protein. I mix 16 oz soy milk with 2 scoops ON Pro Complex protein, 3 TBS peanut butter, 1-2 TBS honey or agave, and 1.5-2 cups uncooked oats. That makes a 1000-1200 calorie shake that is both nutritious and full of slow digesting carbs and a mix of slow and fast digesting protein.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:42 AM

I don't trust much nutritional supplements. Protein is protein. All this other nonsense like weight gainer, NO explode, mega protein, super duper mass builder stuff is worthless. No one regulates nutritional supplements so they can claim whatever they want to on the label with out any published research to back it up. Watch out for what you waste your money on at GNC/vitamin world etc.
Yes, you have to be carful not to buy into some of the outragous claims out there. There are clinically proven ingredients but often times you are paying for nothing but advertising because there is very little of those actual ingredients in the product. Good example is Muscle Tech products. They are ultra expensive but you are getting very little benefit for your money (based off 100s of reviews I have read as I have no experience with their products)
Old 10-11-2010, 10:55 AM

They do work against each other to some degree but if you find a balance between aerobic training and anaerobic training you can do both things well. Finding that balance is difficult though.
haha yea tell me about it
Old 10-11-2010, 10:58 AM

Yes, you have to be carful not to buy into some of the outragous claims out there. There are clinically proven ingredients but often times you are paying for nothing but advertising because there is very little of those actual ingredients in the product. Good example is Muscle Tech products. They are ultra expensive but you are getting very little benefit for your money (based off 100s of reviews I have read as I have no experience with their products)

YOU'LL GAIN 55 LBS OF MUSCLE IN 2 WEEKS!!! CLINICALLY PROVEN!!!!

[enters Random dude wearing a lab coat] "as a doctor i have clinically proven that mega muscle will help you lose 14 lbs of fat and gain 800% more muscle than supplement x, I know because I have used it."

I love watching late night infomercials
Old 10-11-2010, 11:02 AM

YOU'LL GAIN 55 LBS OF MUSCLE IN 2 WEEKS!!! CLINICALLY PROVEN!!!!

[enters Random dude wearing a lab coat] "as a doctor i have clinically proven that mega muscle will help you lose 14 lbs of fat and gain 800% more muscle than supplement x, I know because I have used it."

I love watching late night infomercials
LOL. Have you seen those Synergistics (sp) commercials? 70 year old guy goes from flabbby as heck to as ripped as me but they are using hormone therepy which is just a euphanism for steroids perscribed by a doctor.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:24 AM

LOL. Have you seen those Synergistics (sp) commercials? 70 year old guy goes from flabbby as heck to as ripped as me but they are using hormone therepy which is just a euphanism for steroids perscribed by a doctor.
haha no I haven't. I really enjoy the exercise equipment though.

My new favorite one is the former olympian gymnist that is selling a medicine ball. And says it uses REVERSE INERTIA as a training regime. Resulting in 500% better results or some BS. I'm pretty sure reverse inertia isn't even a logical statement. mega facepalm.

It's hilarious. I wonder why sometimes I don't develop some stupid equipment, ANYONE will buy that stuff. So pathetic.
Old 10-11-2010, 12:11 PM

haha no I haven't. I really enjoy the exercise equipment though.

My new favorite one is the former olympian gymnist that is selling a medicine ball. And says it uses REVERSE INERTIA as a training regime. Resulting in 500% better results or some BS. I'm pretty sure reverse inertia isn't even a logical statement. mega facepalm.

It's hilarious. I wonder why sometimes I don't develop some stupid equipment, ANYONE will buy that stuff. So pathetic.
Reverse inertia is not a real term as far as I know. Although if it was it would likely mean the opposite of inertia which is the tendency of an object to maintain its state or rest or motion.
Old 10-11-2010, 03:09 PM

Reverse inertia is not a real term as far as I know. Although if it was it would likely mean the opposite of inertia which is the tendency of an object to maintain its state or rest or motion.
yea he uses the term to describe how you are always accelerating and decelerating the medicine ball. Then he calls it reverse inertia too sound like he knows what he talks about. When in reality he just made up a new scientific term which makes no sense at all haha
Old 10-22-2010, 11:08 AM

Well update for me. My bench press is up to 325 lbs. Pretty soon I will be pushing twice my body weight.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:42 PM

^^^ Wow. Well done. This is my first post in here so here are my goals: Lean and muscular and ripped like Bard Pitt from fight club, I want a 6pack. But maybe a little more muscular so I can put up 315 on the bench (3 45's!) I have problems eating right (I'm eating a cookie as I type this, ugh) and I tend to workout for a month or two, then lose interest, then do it again for a month or two, then off again. So, any good advice/tips?

I'm currently on a "do something active each day" routine. Yesterday I walked my dog 2 miles. Day before I ran a couple miles. Today I went to the gym and did:
Bench Press - 225 -4, 205-5, 185-6; Incline - 135 - 9,8,7; Bar Dips 13,7; Flys 50-4, 40-5, 30-6; then some short tricep, bicep, squat, and incline ab exercises.

I've done p90x and it works great, but after one round it's hard to keep up, and I kinda want to use weights sometimes. My biggest problem is motivation and I've tried by using rewards for myself with goals, but even when I don't meet the goals I still just get the reward. So, how do I start eating healthier and keep on with what I've been doing?
Old 11-22-2010, 05:33 PM

any one used/use No xplode? anything i should worry about? and any one used supplement warehouse
to get there items?
Closed Thread