official weight loss/health care/weightlifting thread - Page 4 - Cobalt SS Network

Go Back  Cobalt SS Network > Community > The Lounge
official weight loss/health care/weightlifting thread >

official weight loss/health care/weightlifting thread

The Lounge Off Topic PG-13. Introductions, cars, movies, work, relationships, etc.

official weight loss/health care/weightlifting thread

Closed Thread

 
 
 
Old 05-29-2009, 02:11 PM
  #76  
Senior Member
 
widebody_balt_ss's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-13-07
Location: Iowa
Posts: 1,741
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by the_rainmaker View Post
it is generally accepted that a 180 pound hard gainer will sustain at 2800 calories. and will lose at 2200. think, the typical diet is 2000 calories, and your telling me you can gain by just having 800 more? while working out strenously? and being a hard gainer?
Who said I was a hard gainer? I said i had lost 50 lbs in the last year. Yes, I am saying that you can gain w/ 800 more calories. I am doing it right now. Its all about what you eat, and when you eat it. Trust me, I went through the whole Bulking up thing and it made me fat. I am now at about 13% Body fat and just as strong, faster, and more flexable than I was 50 lbs ago. "Think" if your Body fat is low enough, why do you need all those extra calories? I work out with a team of 10 MMA Fighters. Each one of us are diffrent but we all do about the same workouts. we are all below 20% bodyfat, and we all use the same formula when it comes to eating. body weight times 15 add or subtract 500 calories. we also eat about 70% protien and 30% carbs. up untill a week before we fight. I'm just saying this is what works for me... it may notr work for you.

I think its important to note: im not a body builder. I tryed that for a cupple years. I think I look better now than I did then and I feel better. Look at most models, they are low bodyfat and toned. yet most people think they want to be huge. just ask yourself what you want before you start.

Last edited by widebody_balt_ss; 05-29-2009 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
widebody_balt_ss is offline  
Old 05-29-2009, 02:38 PM
  #77  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 04-07-07
Location: clovis, NM
Posts: 4,464
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by widebody_balt_ss View Post
Who said I was a hard gainer? I said i had lost 50 lbs in the last year. Yes, I am saying that you can gain w/ 800 more calories. I am doing it right now. Its all about what you eat, and when you eat it. Trust me, I went through the whole Bulking up thing and it made me fat. I am now at about 13% Body fat and just as strong, faster, and more flexable than I was 50 lbs ago. "Think" if your Body fat is low enough, why do you need all those extra calories? I work out with a team of 10 MMA Fighters. Each one of us are diffrent but we all do about the same workouts. we are all below 20% bodyfat, and we all use the same formula when it comes to eating. body weight times 15 add or subtract 500 calories. we also eat about 70% protien and 30% carbs. up untill a week before we fight. I'm just saying this is what works for me... it may notr work for you.

I think its important to note: im not a body builder. I tryed that for a cupple years. I think I look better now than I did then and I feel better. Look at most models, they are low bodyfat and toned. yet most people think they want to be huge. just ask yourself what you want before you start.
the op was talking about gaining and a great majority of people are hard gainers. and your training sounds more like sustaining more than building. and to be honest I have a hrad time believeing that you are not loseing weight. if you are on an mma team then you are doing lots of very strenous work, and prolly burn through that 800 extra calories, regardless of the compisition
the_rainmaker is offline  
Old 05-29-2009, 02:54 PM
  #78  
Senior Member
 
widebody_balt_ss's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-13-07
Location: Iowa
Posts: 1,741
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by the_rainmaker View Post
the op was talking about gaining and a great majority of people are hard gainers. and your training sounds more like sustaining more than building. and to be honest I have a hrad time believeing that you are not loseing weight. if you are on an mma team then you are doing lots of very strenous work, and prolly burn through that 800 extra calories, regardless of the compisition
well, as there have been many posts put together and this thred is called "offical weight loss/health care/ weightlifting thred" I think it is for any of the above.

I am not here to argue, I am simply saying you do not have to gain a ton of weight to get stronger. i dare anyone here to eat 4,500 calories as you mention and not gain weight. I dont care how much you work out. you will gain Fat. that is all there is to it. I'm not going to argue the facts on a forum. you are correct we work out hard, and Im not saying that we dont burn through that extra 800 calories. We do. thats kinda the point im trying to make. when you are in top shape, you can build muscle while losing a little fat. you will not gain a ton of strength, not will you burn a ton of weight. but you will get stronger, and lean.
if you are not it top shape, you will see better results. how do you think I burned the 50 some lbs? if i did it any other way would I not be telling you a diffrent way? I have read the Bodybuilding Bible. I know it differs from what I am saying. and it is correct. if you want to gain a ton of muscle you will have to eat more food. but be honest for just a min... how many people have the time to dedicate to bodybuilding? very few... it takes years. people want results fast. and they dont want to have to work out 2 times a day to do it. the end up eating the food, and then they dont work hard enough to burn all the calories. they end up putting on unwanted fat.
if this doesnt make sence, I'm sorry. I'll try to explain it better at a later time.
widebody_balt_ss is offline  
Old 05-29-2009, 05:19 PM
  #79  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 04-07-07
Location: clovis, NM
Posts: 4,464
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by widebody_balt_ss View Post
well, as there have been many posts put together and this thred is called "offical weight loss/health care/ weightlifting thred" I think it is for any of the above.

I am not here to argue, I am simply saying you do not have to gain a ton of weight to get stronger. i dare anyone here to eat 4,500 calories as you mention and not gain weight. I dont care how much you work out. you will gain Fat. that is all there is to it. I'm not going to argue the facts on a forum. you are correct we work out hard, and Im not saying that we dont burn through that extra 800 calories. We do. thats kinda the point im trying to make. when you are in top shape, you can build muscle while losing a little fat. you will not gain a ton of strength, not will you burn a ton of weight. but you will get stronger, and lean.
if you are not it top shape, you will see better results. how do you think I burned the 50 some lbs? if i did it any other way would I not be telling you a diffrent way? I have read the Bodybuilding Bible. I know it differs from what I am saying. and it is correct. if you want to gain a ton of muscle you will have to eat more food. but be honest for just a min... how many people have the time to dedicate to bodybuilding? very few... it takes years. people want results fast. and they dont want to have to work out 2 times a day to do it. the end up eating the food, and then they dont work hard enough to burn all the calories. they end up putting on unwanted fat.
if this doesnt make sence, I'm sorry. I'll try to explain it better at a later time.
no I understand but I hink that this is unique o your specific situation. I thin most of the people on here are small trying to gain not the other way around as you did.

I weighed 155 exactly one year ago, had been lifting for three years and eating about 3000 calories a day. I just could not gain weight.

I had to DRAMATICALLY change my diet, 3000 was not doing it for me, I had to eat 4500 a week to just gain half a pound or so. I had to eat so much it made me sick, then eat some more. I would even get up at scheduled points in the night to eat. I eventually had to start taking three 1000 calorie shakes on top of eating like that. And I did not devote my life to bodybuilding, I just worked out 5 times a week and ate as much as I needed to and now a year later I weigh a solid 200 with less than a 20% bfi. I know everyone may not need to consume that much, but I will guarentee that most will need more than 3000. I am training my friends and the only way they gain weight is the same way I did.
the_rainmaker is offline  
Old 05-29-2009, 05:20 PM
  #80  
Senior Member
 
chris88z24's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-03-07
Location: New York
Posts: 13,487
Thanks: 0
Thanked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Push/Pull routine has always worked for me.
chris88z24 is offline  
Old 05-30-2009, 09:15 AM
  #81  
Senior Member
 
silver187666's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-25-08
Location: Yulee, Florida
Posts: 7,155
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by the_rainmaker View Post
why is your lunch a problem I dont understand
cause most protein products say within a half hour of working out
silver187666 is offline  
Old 05-31-2009, 03:05 AM
  #82  
Senior Member
 
Fallen33's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-29-06
Location: FT Drum, NY
Posts: 2,666
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey guys I'm heading to Fort Jackson in 2 months for Basic Training (Army).

I need to run 2 miles in under 16 minutes before then so I can go in as an E-2 (better rank).

Right now I jog 1 mile in 8:33 and I'm huffing and puffing at the end. (couldn't imagine going for 2 miles straight)

Do you guys have any advice/tips for increasing my running endurance?
Fallen33 is offline  
Old 05-31-2009, 09:08 AM
  #83  
Senior Member
 
silver187666's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-25-08
Location: Yulee, Florida
Posts: 7,155
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you a smoker? how far do you run or do you just do the mile? if you push your self further youll be able to do it, or just sign a buddy up for a easy rank
silver187666 is offline  
Old 05-31-2009, 11:19 AM
  #84  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: 04-21-09
Location: Newark, DE
Posts: 11,252
Thanked 68 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Fallen33 View Post
Hey guys I'm heading to Fort Jackson in 2 months for Basic Training (Army).

I need to run 2 miles in under 16 minutes before then so I can go in as an E-2 (better rank).

Right now I jog 1 mile in 8:33 and I'm huffing and puffing at the end. (couldn't imagine going for 2 miles straight)

Do you guys have any advice/tips for increasing my running endurance?
I used to only be ableto run 1 mile straight without stopping now, I can do 5-6 miles without stopping. your times not too bad, you should be able to lower it easy though. My advice is to start running every other day, do a 1 mile run for the first 2 weeks, then increase to 1.5 miles, then after 4 weeks, do two miles. FORCE yourself to keep moving even if your so tired you feel like stopping. Runners wall is a bitch to overcome but you can do it if you have strong focus on something. Day dreaming while running always worked for me. 2 miles is easy, you should be able to accomplish that.

Also helps to run with someone you know that can do 2 miles in 16 mins. you can keep pace with them.
CudaJoe is offline  
Old 05-31-2009, 04:44 PM
  #85  
New Member
 
Join Date: 08-15-08
Location: Houston
Posts: 52
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you have to something that you love, me i am into brazilian jiu jitsu! i train jiu jitsu 4 times a week, kickboxing and mma 3 times a week and i train in boxing 4 times a week. i love training and i feel like crap if i dont go, for me its a pleasure and not a chore. you just have to find something that you like doing. i eat pretty good too, lots of chicken, beef, turkey, rice and vegetables. i cheat on my diet once a week by eating a burger or pizza. i use n.o. xplode before i train, syntha 6 for extra protein and cell mass for post work out and recovery. if you have any questions shoot a pm. i am 5'5 and i was 175 before training 3 years ago, i dropped to 155 about a year and a half ago and now i walk around at 135 and fight at 125.
fuente27hpv is offline  
Old 06-01-2009, 12:43 AM
  #86  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 04-07-07
Location: clovis, NM
Posts: 4,464
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fallen33 View Post
Hey guys I'm heading to Fort Jackson in 2 months for Basic Training (Army).

I need to run 2 miles in under 16 minutes before then so I can go in as an E-2 (better rank).

Right now I jog 1 mile in 8:33 and I'm huffing and puffing at the end. (couldn't imagine going for 2 miles straight)

Do you guys have any advice/tips for increasing my running endurance?
do things to help your breating.

running stairs is a great way to increase your lung capacity
the_rainmaker is offline  
Old 06-02-2009, 01:11 AM
  #87  
Senior Member
 
Fallen33's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-29-06
Location: FT Drum, NY
Posts: 2,666
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by silver187666 View Post
you a smoker? how far do you run or do you just do the mile? if you push your self further youll be able to do it, or just sign a buddy up for a easy rank
Never been a smoker. I've only ran a mile straight so far.

Originally Posted by CudaJoe View Post
I used to only be ableto run 1 mile straight without stopping now, I can do 5-6 miles without stopping. your times not too bad, you should be able to lower it easy though. My advice is to start running every other day, do a 1 mile run for the first 2 weeks, then increase to 1.5 miles, then after 4 weeks, do two miles. FORCE yourself to keep moving even if your so tired you feel like stopping. Runners wall is a bitch to overcome but you can do it if you have strong focus on something. Day dreaming while running always worked for me. 2 miles is easy, you should be able to accomplish that.

Also helps to run with someone you know that can do 2 miles in 16 mins. you can keep pace with them.
Cool thanks for the advice.

Originally Posted by the_rainmaker View Post
do things to help your breating.

running stairs is a great way to increase your lung capacity
No stairs to run up and down where I'm at but I'll keep that in mind.

Btw guys I ran my mile today in 8:01.
Fallen33 is offline  
Old 06-02-2009, 12:14 PM
  #88  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 04-07-07
Location: clovis, NM
Posts: 4,464
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fallen33 View Post
Never been a smoker. I've only ran a mile straight so far.



Btw guys I ran my mile today in 8:01.
mix it up a litle bit to shock your legs. run for 30 seconds slow the 30 seconds sprinting until you cant run any more lol.

and 8.01 is not to bad of a time
the_rainmaker is offline  
Old 06-02-2009, 01:37 PM
  #89  
Senior Member
 
Fallen33's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-29-06
Location: FT Drum, NY
Posts: 2,666
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by the_rainmaker View Post
mix it up a litle bit to shock your legs. run for 30 seconds slow the 30 seconds sprinting until you cant run any more lol.

and 8.01 is not to bad of a time
Thanks, this morning I ran an 8:34. GGRRRR

Me and my brother in law are going to be doing 60/120's today. (sprint 60 seconds walk 120)
Fallen33 is offline  
Old 06-02-2009, 02:38 PM
  #90  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: 04-21-09
Location: Newark, DE
Posts: 11,252
Thanked 68 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Fallen33 View Post



No stairs to run up and down where I'm at but I'll keep that in mind.

Btw guys I ran my mile today in 8:01.

Good Job! Thats about 7.5 mph, thats a good speed to go when running long distance, its a step below sprinting! Heck most people speed walk at 3.5 mph, so your doing double the fastest you can walk! 8.0 mph is too fast and will be hard to do for 2 miles.

Also It's way easier to run outside than on a treadmill!!!! So if you run on a treadmill for 2 miles, you'll do alot better outside. The whole shocking your leg muscle thing can happen naturally outside when you are running in a hilly area. Make sure to stretch before and after for like 10 mins, focused on your hamstrings mostly. Hamstrings do most of the work when running. If you can learn to run on the ***** of you foot (not the heel, but the ball located near the big toe) you may find it easier and it will give your calves a work out.
CudaJoe is offline  
Old 06-02-2009, 02:53 PM
  #91  
Senior Member
 
Fallen33's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-29-06
Location: FT Drum, NY
Posts: 2,666
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CudaJoe View Post
Good Job! Thats about 7.5 mph, thats a good speed to go when running long distance, its a step below sprinting! Heck most people speed walk at 3.5 mph, so your doing double the fastest you can walk! 8.0 mph is too fast and will be hard to do for 2 miles.

Also It's way easier to run outside than on a treadmill!!!! So if you run on a treadmill for 2 miles, you'll do alot better outside. The whole shocking your leg muscle thing can happen naturally outside when you are running in a hilly area. Make sure to stretch before and after for like 10 mins, focused on your hamstrings mostly. Hamstrings do most of the work when running. If you can learn to run on the ***** of you foot (not the heel, but the ball located near the big toe) you may find it easier and it will give your calves a work out.
Yah I've been running outside around the neighborhood. Could you explain how to run with the ***** of your foot? (Are you saying I should run somewhat on my tippy toes? )
Fallen33 is offline  
Old 06-02-2009, 03:10 PM
  #92  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: 04-21-09
Location: Newark, DE
Posts: 11,252
Thanked 68 Times in 59 Posts
lol, not tippy toes, but when you used the ***** of your feet, it provides alittle spring to your step and keeps you from have to work leg muscles that arent required for human locomotion, lol. I refering to the muscles that line your shins and the calf muscle. If you run flat footed, you end up burning more energy moving your foot back and forth than you realize and you get tired more quickly. Just try running on the ***** of your feet, you'll notice that you are not utilizing those muscle as much and the spring in your step will actually feel like your launching yourself foward and it just seems easier in general. You can only do this if you plan on running, not jogging~! Also get a good pair of running shoes with nice arch support and light weight sole.

Will warn you though, if you don't have strong calves, you will.. lol. They will be where you will feel the burn. Ignore it, unless its a cramp. Also!, dont run on the ***** of your feet up hill, it will be uber pain.

Basically, just dont run Flat footed! Dont start your step when running with your heel and end the step at your toes. Start at your toes and end the step at your toes. Yeah tippy toe does best expllain it.. lol. but not like the burger king commercial for the burger king game on xbox "Sneaking"

Last edited by CudaJoe; 06-02-2009 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
CudaJoe is offline  
Old 06-02-2009, 03:14 PM
  #93  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 04-07-07
Location: clovis, NM
Posts: 4,464
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
also try things like running with 5 pound weights in your hands.

do calve workouts
the_rainmaker is offline  
Old 06-02-2009, 03:33 PM
  #94  
Senior Member
 
silver187666's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-25-08
Location: Yulee, Florida
Posts: 7,155
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CudaJoe View Post
lol, not tippy toes, but when you used the ***** of your feet, it provides alittle spring to your step and keeps you from have to work leg muscles that arent required for human locomotion, lol. I refering to the muscles that line your shins and the calf muscle. If you run flat footed, you end up burning more energy moving your foot back and forth than you realize and you get tired more quickly. Just try running on the ***** of your feet, you'll notice that you are not utilizing those muscle as much and the spring in your step will actually feel like your launching yourself foward and it just seems easier in general. You can only do this if you plan on running, not jogging~! Also get a good pair of running shoes with nice arch support and light weight sole.

Will warn you though, if you don't have strong calves, you will.. lol. They will be where you will feel the burn. Ignore it, unless its a cramp. Also!, dont run on the ***** of your feet up hill, it will be uber pain.

Basically, just dont run Flat footed! Dont start your step when running with your heel and end the step at your toes. Start at your toes and end the step at your toes. Yeah tippy toe does best expllain it.. lol. but not like the burger king commercial for the burger king game on xbox "Sneaking"



im a toe walker, thats what hes talking about, it can do wonders for your calfs
silver187666 is offline  
Old 06-02-2009, 07:30 PM
  #95  
Senior Member
 
Fallen33's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-29-06
Location: FT Drum, NY
Posts: 2,666
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok thanks CudaJoe. I think I caught all that.
Fallen33 is offline  
Old 06-03-2009, 07:49 PM
  #96  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 02-27-09
Location: Climbin In Your Window...
Posts: 4,797
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Had one of these after my run this morning and they're surprisingly not bad.

2MCHBoost is offline  
Old 06-04-2009, 01:40 PM
  #97  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: 04-21-09
Location: Newark, DE
Posts: 11,252
Thanked 68 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by silver187666 View Post



im a toe walker, thats what hes talking about, it can do wonders for your calfs
At first I had NO Idea what I was looking at, LOL.

yeah, thats what I meant whilest running
CudaJoe is offline  
Old 06-04-2009, 01:46 PM
  #98  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 06-03-06
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 2,362
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2MCHBoost View Post
Had one of these after my run this morning and they're surprisingly not bad.




50 grams of protein?? holy **** thats awesome!
Frank2029 is offline  
Old 06-04-2009, 05:10 PM
  #99  
Senior Member
 
silver187666's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-25-08
Location: Yulee, Florida
Posts: 7,155
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CudaJoe View Post
At first I had NO Idea what I was looking at, LOL.

yeah, thats what I meant whilest running
i have some nice calf muscles, been a toe walker most of my life
silver187666 is offline  
Old 06-04-2009, 05:14 PM
  #100  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 04-29-08
Location: Pittsburgh to D.C.
Posts: 2,681
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ima small guy came out of highschool weighing 125.... i take all GNC products ( amplified wheyobolic extreme, amplified creatine pills) and i weighed 142 after 8 days of lifting ...... the main muscle builder is the Wheyobolic protein


i lift everyday and do about 5-6 reps but very heavy weight...... i went from benching 205 to 255 in about 2 weeks.. so in my case they work !!!!!
PimpLay2 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: official weight loss/health care/weightlifting thread


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.