official weight loss/health care/weightlifting thread - Page 6 - Cobalt SS Network

Go Back  Cobalt SS Network > Community > The Lounge
official weight loss/health care/weightlifting thread >

official weight loss/health care/weightlifting thread

The Lounge Off Topic PG-13. Introductions, cars, movies, work, relationships, etc.

official weight loss/health care/weightlifting thread

Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by Blown 4-banger View Post
Yeah, but I wanna be buff too. Helps get the chickas
I promise you when you get out you are going to be ******* skinny as hell..

Buddy of mine is the same size as me (6'2 210lbs) and when he got out he was like 180lbs and looked ******* sickly..

I wouldnt waste time on getting buff before you go cause you are going to need to be more oriented towards endurance..
Old 06-20-2009, 12:52 AM

alright guys im 5 foot 8-9... Ive been slacking in the working out thing ever since i stopped playing football which was 4 years ago... For me personally I have gained a ridiculous amount of weight I weight right now 245-250 I fluctuate daily...Im starting to notice that im very depressed about the condition im letting my body get into, I have never in my life had stretch marks and I do now all over my mid sectio... Im seriously disgusted by it...

I work usually late nights, and in this case it makes me eat late at night or snack late at night... I tend to sleep late because I go out with friends or I just stay up late...

I tend to try to stay away from sodas, drink them occasionally, I drink water and sparkling water all day long or at least I try to.. Naturally I got into this state because Im eating alot of carbs as in pastas, pizzas, bread so forth...I have no set routine, I need to start eating vegatables but I cant make myself like them.. I wish there was some subsitute...

I wanna no what would be the best diet for me... I dont wanna hear eat 5-8 times a day because quite frankly thats not possible for me and for my line of work... I know I need to start going back to the gym and im gonna go sign up tommorow for a gym membership... But what foods do you all eat for those guys who also hate veggies...I mean i like the normal ****, potatoes, corn, peas so forth but the "good stuff" I dont like at all

Someone help me out, I no I need to do this for myself!!!!! And its time to start getting serious bout loosing weight
Old 06-20-2009, 12:54 AM

Old 06-20-2009, 08:06 AM

^that stuff is the best, been drinking it at work, been losing a little weight and helping with my energy levels and over all health, i prefer strawberry banana
Old 06-20-2009, 11:03 AM

Here's a basic diet outline for you 2fastSS.

It's not about "eating vegetables". You're really going to have to do some research on your own to learn how to eat healthy, but this should give you a start. It's about making a choice. When you sit down in front of a pizza, think about your goal. A simple rule to follow is eat nothing over 3-4g of fat, and high protein. Definately super low in saturated.

Have a cheat day once a week. Eat all the bad food you want until your heart's content. But on those other 6 days, don't deviate, and use that day to look forward to. It's good for boosting your metabolism as well, and helps keep you sane.

I used to be 285+ pounds before I started living a healthy lifestyle. The key is to make a long term goal, it doesn't happen overnight. I went from 0 muscle to near shredded at 195. It's worth it man. Don't let those stretch marks get out of control... it will stretch your skin out and prevent you from getting toned the way you want. Trust me, haha, I know. You can still stop now and probably counter any major problems.

I start eating bad again a while ago, haha... we all mess up and can't be perfect. Took some life time off from lifting for like 9 months. I ate anything and everything, but I'm telling you... once you build the muscle you keep it off. All I gained after gorging myself was like 5 pounds, haha. 9 Months.

Good luck.

Proteins

* Boneless, skinless chicken breast
* Tuna (water packed)
* Fish (salmon, sea bass, halibut)
* Shrimp
* Tofu
* Extra lean ground beef or ground round (92-96%)
* Protein powder (whey and casein)
* Egg whites or eggs (yolk is good dietary cholesterol)
* Rib eye steaks or roast
* Top round steaks or roast (aka stew meat, london broil, stir fry)
* Top sirloin (aka sirloin top butt)
* Beef tenderloin (aka filet, filet mignon)
* Top loin (NY strip steak)
* Flank steak (stir fry, fajita)
* Eye of round (cube meat, stew meat, bottom round , 96% lean ground round)
* Ground turkey, turkey breast slices or cutlets (fresh meat - not deli cuts)

Complex carbohydrates

* Oatmeal (old fashioned or quick oats)
* Sweet potatoes (yams)
* Beans (pinto, black, kidney)
* Oat bran cereal
* Brown rice
* Farina (cream of wheat)
* Multigrain hot cereal
* Pasta
* Rice (white, jasmine, basmati, Arborio, wild)
* Potatoes (red, baking, new)

Fibrous carbohydrates

* Green leafy lettuce (green leaf, red, leaf, romaine)
* Broccoli
* Asparagus
* String beans
* Spinach
* Bell peppers
* Brussels sprouts
* Cauliflower
* Celery
* Peas

Other produce & fruits

* Cucumber
* Green or red pepper
* Onions
* Garlic
* Tomatoes
* Zucchini
* Fruit (if acceptable on diet): bananas, apples, grapefruit, peaches, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries
* Lemons or limes

Healthy fats

* Natural style peanut butter
* Olive oil or safflower oil
* Nuts (peanuts, almonds)
* Flaxseed oil - learn more

Dairy & eggs

* Low-fat cottage cheese
* Eggs
* Low or non-fat milk
* Low or non-fat yogurt

Beverages

* Bottled water
* Diet soda
* Crystal light

Condiments and Miscellaneous.

* Fat free mayonnaise
* Reduced sodium soy sauce
* Reduced sodium teriyaki sauce
* Balsamic vinegar
* Salsa
* Chili powder
* Mrs. Dash
* Steak sauce
* Sugar free maple syrup
* Chili paste
* Mustard
* Extracts (vanilla, almond)
* Low sodium beef or chicken broth
* Plain or reduced sodium tomatoes sauce, puree, paste

Last edited by BigEMU1; 06-21-2009 at 10:26 AM.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2fastSS View Post
alright guys im 5 foot 8-9... Ive been slacking in the working out thing ever since i stopped playing football which was 4 years ago... For me personally I have gained a ridiculous amount of weight I weight right now 245-250 I fluctuate daily...Im starting to notice that im very depressed about the condition im letting my body get into, I have never in my life had stretch marks and I do now all over my mid sectio... Im seriously disgusted by it...

I work usually late nights, and in this case it makes me eat late at night or snack late at night... I tend to sleep late because I go out with friends or I just stay up late...

I tend to try to stay away from sodas, drink them occasionally, I drink water and sparkling water all day long or at least I try to.. Naturally I got into this state because Im eating alot of carbs as in pastas, pizzas, bread so forth...I have no set routine, I need to start eating vegatables but I cant make myself like them.. I wish there was some subsitute...

I wanna no what would be the best diet for me... I dont wanna hear eat 5-8 times a day because quite frankly thats not possible for me and for my line of work... I know I need to start going back to the gym and im gonna go sign up tommorow for a gym membership... But what foods do you all eat for those guys who also hate veggies...I mean i like the normal ****, potatoes, corn, peas so forth but the "good stuff" I dont like at all

Someone help me out, I no I need to do this for myself!!!!! And its time to start getting serious bout loosing weight

you and me are in the same boat bro, im 5' 8" at 232lbs (just came down from 240 )

ive been eating small meals a day and i work out mon wed friday

ive been working out for about 2 months now, this is my first time ever working out in my life and i must say i enjoy it

i just changed up my workout routine and it goes:

3 sets of 10 bench press at 75% of my max(am usually struggling at the 3rd set)
3 sets of 20 set-ups
3 sets of 10 curlbar
3 sets of 20 crunches
3 sets of 10 reverse curls
3 sets of 15 **** roaches
3 sets of 15 military press
and dthen 3 sets of 10 set ups again to finish it off

then of course i TRY, big emphases on TRY, to run a complete mile but i can never find my self to do it, so i been running as far as i can, then walk to rest then run as far i can again untill i have completed 4 laps around the track
Old 06-20-2009, 11:42 AM

If you're trying to get strength or mass, I would keep your cardivascular workout separate from your weight lifting. It's proven to be counter productive.

Try running on your off-lift days, or if on the same day leave plenty of time between. For example... cardio very early in the morning if you lift late.
Old 06-21-2009, 09:03 AM

bigemu, was that for me?
Old 06-21-2009, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by silver187666 View Post
bigemu, was that for me?
doh fixed.
Old 06-21-2009, 05:30 PM

I'm a little late to this party, but I'll post up some of my progress. I am 6'4" and at my heaviest I clocked in at 310. After a couple years, i slowly started to work it down to around 290. Finally this past February I really got my ass in gear. Today 4 months later I'm in a 241 and feeling good. I still have another 21lbs to go until I hit my goal weight and then I can re-evaluate where I go from there.

The biggest help in this for me is the motivation of wanting to do/be better after I lost my grandfather this past February. He was my biggest and best life influence I will ever have. I have drastically cut my portions (still taking in around 1800-2200 calories a day), eat way more sensibly and have completely cut out all soda/energy drinks/etc. NO MORE fast food....NONE. I also really try to limit heavily processed foods as much as I can. I eat 5 small meals a day and haven't had too much time for exercise but I get it in anyway I can. and water, LOTS AND LOTS of water. I try to drink 4 32oz(1gal) nalgene bottles a day or more. The first month it was really hard to give up a lot of the bad stuff since it was basically always available and there for pretty much my entire life. Now I don't even think twice. Its so easy to do it right now its not even funny.

So all in all, from my heaviest point to now I have lost 69lb.

Good luck to all the rest of you guys and keep it up.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by 06blackSC View Post
I'm a little late to this party, but I'll post up some of my progress. I am 6'4" and at my heaviest I clocked in at 310. After a couple years, i slowly started to work it down to around 290. Finally this past February I really got my ass in gear. Today 4 months later I'm in a 241 and feeling good. I still have another 21lbs to go until I hit my goal weight and then I can re-evaluate where I go from there.

The biggest help in this for me is the motivation of wanting to do/be better after I lost my grandfather this past February. He was my biggest and best life influence I will ever have. I have drastically cut my portions (still taking in around 1800-2200 calories a day), eat way more sensibly and have completely cut out all soda/energy drinks/etc. NO MORE fast food....NONE. I also really try to limit heavily processed foods as much as I can. I eat 5 small meals a day and haven't had too much time for exercise but I get it in anyway I can. and water, LOTS AND LOTS of water. I try to drink 4 32oz(1gal) nalgene bottles a day or more. The first month it was really hard to give up a lot of the bad stuff since it was basically always available and there for pretty much my entire life. Now I don't even think twice. Its so easy to do it right now its not even funny.

So all in all, from my heaviest point to now I have lost 69lb.

Good luck to all the rest of you guys and keep it up.
congrats man that is great progress...

a great way to stay motivated is to start lifting, it gives you another reason to eat good, and there is no better feeling than when you start getting stronger and reach your goals that seemed impossible when you first started lifting.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:58 AM
Banned

Post From My Personal Trainer....

Sometimes my Personal Trainer Emails me things so I thought I would share them with ya'll......

Probiotics...

Did you know that your digestive tract contains more than 400 types of “friendly” bacteria? These little guys, commonly referred to as probiotics (which means "pro-life"), help reduce the growth of harmful bacteria and promote a healthy digestive system. That’s right! Probiotics are live bacteria with clinically-documented health benefits.

Health Benefits
It appears that when the digestive system is kept healthy, other body systems greatly benefit as well. Probiotics may:
Protect against infection
Enhance and boost the immune system
Promote and improve digestive health
Alleviate diarrhea caused by antibiotic treatments
Promote urinary and genital health
Assist in the management of inflammation
Help alleviate symptoms of lactose intolerance
Improve some types of eczema in infants and children
Reduce cholesterol levels
Decrease the risk of certain cancers
It is important to note that each type of friendly bacteria has a specific health benefit to the body.. With over 400 different types of probiotics identified, researchers are just starting to uncover the health roles and benefits of each.

Food Sources
Currently, foods that contain probiotics are primarily dairy products and dairy beverages, including:
Yogurt
Drinkable and squeezable yogurts
Fluid milk with added probiotics
Fermented milk such as sweet acidophilus milk
Kefir
Old 06-30-2009, 10:28 AM

something to try. cytonox go for it
Old 06-30-2009, 10:46 AM

I am currently following the "Body for Life" plan.
Its a good book that you can pick up cheap on Amazon.

I have shed 11 pounds in 2 weeks thus far. (I am sure some of which was water weight)
Started at 259, as of the other day I was at 248.

The secret is there is no secret.

Diet and exercise 6 days a week and one cheat day where you can eat any piece of crap you want.
Eat 6 meals a day balancing carbs/protein.
Exercise using interval training.

The book really is a good read, and is a great motivator.
They make it seem easy, and to an extent, they are right.
So long as you dont mind putting in the effort, its a solid plan that will get anyone into great shape!
Old 06-30-2009, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by chipsgt View Post
I am currently following the "Body for Life" plan.
Its a good book that you can pick up cheap on Amazon.

I have shed 11 pounds in 2 weeks thus far. (I am sure some of which was water weight)
Started at 259, as of the other day I was at 248.

The secret is there is no secret.

Diet and exercise 6 days a week and one cheat day where you can eat any piece of crap you want.
Eat 6 meals a day balancing carbs/protein.
Exercise using interval training.

The book really is a good read, and is a great motivator.
They make it seem easy, and to an extent, they are right.
So long as you dont mind putting in the effort, its a solid plan that will get anyone into great shape!

hey congrats man!

there is no substitute for hard work and a good diet
Old 07-01-2009, 10:30 AM
Banned

What The Label Really Means.....

Here's a list of the most popular food package claims used by food manufacturers—and what they really mean for you and your health.

"Natural"

The word "natural" is not regulated by the FDA and therefore is very misleading. Sure "natural" brings to mind thoughts of fresh, minimally processed and healthy food, but it means nothing about a food's nutritional content, ingredients, safety, or health effects. Almost all packaged foods today are processed in some way. Natural potato chips may use real potatoes (instead of flakes), for example, but like regular potato chips, they are still a high-fat food choice with little nutritional content. Natural candy may be sweetened with cane juice (instead of white sugar), but it can still contribute to weight gain when eaten in excess.

"Made with Real Fruit" or "Contains Real Fruit Juice"
You see “made with real fruit” frequently on fruit snacks, fruity cookies and cereals, and fruit drinks. Since there is no law that requires how much real fruit has to be included in a food that uses this claim, the sugary treat could contain just one grape or one drop of orange juice to be accurate. However, a quick look at the ingredients list will show you what you need to know. When high fructose corn syrup and/or sugar are listed as the first ingredients, you know that the “real fruit” content of the product isn't significant. This is sugary junk food that is trying to masquerade as healthy—but now you know better!

"Whole Grains"
This is one of the most popular marketing claims of late, and the most confusing. Today we see "whole grain" logos on almost all grain products, including sugary breakfast cereals. The reality is that refined white flour—with just a touch of whole wheat added back in—can be listed as “whole grain.” A food manufacturer can use the term "whole grain" no matter how much whole wheat the product contains. What the various "whole grain" terms actually mean may surprise you:
"Made with Whole Grains": All it needs is one tiny bit of whole grains to use this claim, which means nothing for your health.
"Wheat flour" or "100 percent wheat": Again, this is a ploy that tries to fool consumers. You want to look for "whole wheat flour" or "100 percent whole wheat", not just the word "wheat."
"Multigrain": This doesn't explain whether the grains are refined or whole, just that there is more than one type of grain. Multigrain has no proven health benefits, especially if all those grains are refined, and they probably are (unless the ingredients list proves otherwise).
"Whole grain": This term is also misleading, because whole grains can contain various blends of grains that are refined. You want to avoid words like enriched and bleached on the ingredients label. You can only trust the term "100 percent whole grain" to be a healthy choice.
"X Grams of Whole Grains": Don't let the grams of whole grains in a food confuse you. A food can claim that it's a "Good Source" of whole grains, but that does not mean it's high in fiber (it may have little to none).

When it comes to grain-based foods, you can't trust the words on the face of the package. Double-check and look at the ingredients list every time, looking for keywords like "whole wheat flour" to be first on the list. Additives like sugar and corn syrup shouldn't appear in the top of the ingredients list of a healthy food. If a food is high in whole grains, it'll have protein and fiber to boot. Be aware that manufacturers won't necessarily call their processed flours "refined" on the label. Anything that is listed as corn, rice, wheat, or oat flour IS processed and refined unless it specifically tells you that it is "whole".

"Fat Free"
"Fat-free" food labels may also tempt you to believe these are healthier food selections. Sometimes this can be helpful, like when choosing skim milk over higher fat varieties. But take the time to read labels. When a meat label boasts that it's 95% fat free, it sounds like a healthy choice since only 5 percent of it is fat. But fat contains a lot of calories, so check out the nutrition facts label for the actual number of calories and fat grams per serving.

An example of an unhelpful fat-free claim is a carton of 100% orange juice. Here, a fat-free claim isn’t helpful labeling, even though it is truthful. Oranges are naturally fat-free, so 100% orange juice always has and always will be fat-free, regardless of whether it is highlighted on the label or not.

"Zero Trans Fats"
Thanks to recent media attention, you probably know that trans fats are bad for your health. Experts recommend that people avoid trans fats, which are created when oils are hydrogenated during food processing. But you can't trust a product's claim of zero trans fats, nor can you trust the nutrition facts label on this one. Always read the ingredients list. If the words "partially hydrogenated" appear in it at all, then the food DOES contain trans fats. But thanks to labeling guidelines, any food that contains 0.5 grams or less of a nutrient can be listed as zero grams on the nutrition facts label.

This may seem insignificant, but it does add up. Think about a box of cookies. It says "zero trans fats" on the front of the box and on the nutrition facts label, but it lists "partially hydrogenated oils" in the ingredients list. This food can contain up to 0.5 grams of trans fats per serving, yet the labeling is legit. Over time, when you consume the 6, 10, or 20 servings of cookies in the box, you'll consume 3, 5, or 10 grams of trans fats. Since there is no safe level of trans fat consumption, this food is not good for your health.

Making Healthy Choices
Most of your food choices should come from whole, unprocessed sources: fresh meat, beans and legumes, real fruits and vegetables, calcium-rich foods like dairy, oats and other whole grains. Remember that you can't make nutritious food selections based solely on the marketing phrases on the front of a package. These buzz words are meant to catch your attention and are put there by marketing gurus so that you'll buy their product. Once you've looked at the package, ask yourself, "Does this food company have my healthin mind?" The more processed a food is, the less reliable the claims on its package become.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:59 PM

p90x.

/end thread.

but seriously, it's amazing, yes it's expensive, but it gets the job done.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by cyanotikat View Post
p90x.

/end thread.

but seriously, it's amazing, yes it's expensive, but it gets the job done.
expensive? its $120. thats like three months at a gym.

now the weights you need are expensive but you can get some spin lock dumbbells and weights a full set up for about 150.

but supplements will amplify the results you get from p90x
Old 07-06-2009, 05:47 PM

uhm yeah my ass gained weight when i started school then i lost 3 of the 10lbs i gained.. i want to drop more! i was trying to drop some weight before school but it didn't happen... then i gained a few lbs... which kills me.. i really need to tone up.. some body wants to help please pm me.. thanks
Old 07-08-2009, 02:53 AM

I've slimmed down 12 pounds in 2 weeks by just counting my calories.

Keeping to 2000 cal is really important to losing the weight and then keeping it off.

I use http://www.my-calorie-counter.com/

It's free and has most of the foods u eat are listed, you can also add foods if you want, along with any activities you do.
Old 07-18-2009, 12:13 PM

I've added a facebook application to help me track my calories.

I've cut it to between 700-800 calories, and I'm actually eating meals.

Plus, I've been walking (or jogging when my legs feel up to it) 1 miles twice a day.

I started two months ago at 297, now I'm at 262 (this morning)
Old 07-22-2009, 05:22 AM

im def. really late to this thread.. lol
i know a lot... i mean a lot about weight lifting, nutrition and supplements.
ive went from 129lbs to 172lbs in a year and 5 months. (lean muscle)

not sure if anyone has said these 2 sites before but they are the 2 most helpful sites ive ever been on.

www.bodybuilding.com
www.flexonline.com
Old 07-24-2009, 09:23 AM

Well, today is the end of 6 weeks in my 12 week program.
Starting weight was 259.8 Lbs.

Weight as of this morning was 239.2 lbs!

20 lbs in 6 weeks works for me! I am feeling better than I have in years!
But most importantly, my blood pressure is getting back down to a reasonable number.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by chipsgt View Post
Well, today is the end of 6 weeks in my 12 week program.
Starting weight was 259.8 Lbs.

Weight as of this morning was 239.2 lbs!

20 lbs in 6 weeks works for me! I am feeling better than I have in years!
But most importantly, my blood pressure is getting back down to a reasonable number.
hey congrats man, are you going to keep going? what is your ultimate goal?
Old 07-24-2009, 11:57 AM

I absolutely will keep going. I am more motivated than ever!
I would like to see my self get down to the 210 - 215 lb mark.
And a goal of say 10% body fat.

I think that would do me nicely. But really, as long as my blood pressure is down, I am happy.

But yes, I cant wait to finish out the 12 weeks and then do it again! I didnt realize how misreable I was weighing 260 and sometimes as much as 265.

I have never at any point in my life been obese, I just carry a lot of fat in the belly.
Which of course is the worst place to carry fat.

But at 260 lbs, my doctor put me on blood pressure medicine, and I am only 29.
So I started on ACE inhibitors to lower it, and this was the kicker, I went to another doctor for something unrealated about a month later, and he took my blood pressure, and told me I should really think about getting on medicine to control it. I was like what???
The medicine I was on, was not working, and it is considered an "aggressive" approach.

That was the point where I said okay, enough is enough and got serious.
I cant wait to get down to my goal, and am looking forward to the process!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: official weight loss/health care/weightlifting thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.