Selling my car this year (possbily) - Cobalt SS Network

The Lounge Off Topic PG-13. Introductions, cars, movies, work, relationships, etc.

Old 01-11-2018, 10:15 AM   #1  

Selling my car this year (possbily)

This isnt meant as a for sale thread but I am on the fence about selling this year. My wife wants a bigger car. We have an equinox but I take the kids to daycare since its right next to me. With a 3 month old and a 3 year old in the back seat, the cobalt is really starting to feel cramped for a 6' 4" person driving the car.

I love the car but I cant just hang on to it as we only have a 1.5 car garage with a small driveway. The neighbors manage to squeeze 4 cars in their driveway and garage but I cant live like that, I need my garage space. The neighbors also have another 2 cars taking guest parking. I cant do that either because im not a tool bag.

My wife is looking to get a used 2017 Malibu Premier, she wants the 2.0L turbo and although its definitely the slower car between mine and the malibu, its nicer and newer and we dont really need the cobalt. The idea is she would take the malibu as her car to drive to work in and I take the 2014 equinox and take over the payments. Other than the cramped space in the cobalt, its just not safe enough for our two kids. Hell I havent even done the ignition recall.

So I think the reasoning for selling the cobalt is sound. Figuring out a selling price without getting roasted is the challenge. Im thinking as is with all my oem and aftermarket parts, Id let it go for $6500. I dont know what a realistic selling price is but the car is in pretty good shape with 100,200 miles. No dents or scratches. New rotors and pads last year. Tires on the OEM wheels are 2 years old but have 90% of their tread (Continental DWS/ DWS06). Tires on the Enkei M52s have maybe 1 season left in them (Dunlap Direzza Z2s). Depending on the offers I might keep the M52s.

Anyway, sidetracked into a feeler. what do you think? Sell the car and take over wifes car payment? Keep the car and permanently hold a guest parking spot like a tool bag? Tell my wife to drive the cobalt and I will drive the equinox and not buy anything?

Seriously having a hard time with this. I know I wont have the car for 30 years but this has been one of the best cars Ive ever owned. Nothing about this car has ever disappointed me.

P.S. she works at a hospital so the car will definitely get dings dents and scratches which will kill me.
CudaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:46 AM   #2  

A new car would be nice, but would the Malibu really be worth a $15k cost over the cobalt (including the profit of selling it)? You're gaining some room for sure, but it's not like Impala room or anything.

Not having to worry about maintenance on a new car is also nice.

I bet you could get more than $6500 for a sedan. I'd certainly hope so for my sake.
exninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:49 AM   #3  

Always making sacrifices for women
double clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:55 AM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by double clutch View Post
Always making sacrifices for women
hahahaha such is married lyfe
Old 01-11-2018, 11:03 AM   #5  
Premium Member

I'm sure you could get 6500 for it easy, but don't sell it you'll regret it. Just start sliding the front seat forward one click at a time and you'll get used to driving closer to the wheel (which unless you have an extremely short torso) will likely put you in a better driving position. IIRC one of the Porsche Racing Team drivers has a youtube on proper seat distance for road/auto-x racing, which in the end you are a lot closer to the wheel than most people actually sit.

The cobalt not being safe enough for your kids? The cobalt has a damn good crash test rating, the ignition isn't a huge deal because I'm assuming here, but you know what to do if the car shuts off while driving. Brakes still work so does the steering it just requires a little more force.
ECaulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:09 AM   #6  

Well I think the cobalt is safe enough for me. My wife sees it as me doing this as I drive it with the baby in the car.

I wouldnt be driving the malibu, Id have the equinox and I know thats got a ton of room for two car seats. We are doing that now when we go places with the kids. My wife got a promotion this year and is eager to represent it with a newer car lol.

Guaranteed I will be disappointed in life if I sell it.

As far as choosing $6500. I would love to list it as $10k and see what offers I get but the reality is, a young persons going to buy this or a parent buying their teen a car. They are going to grab the $5000 honda civic from 2004 over this if I set the price well above a kbb number.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:11 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECaulk View Post
I'm sure you could get 6500 for it easy, but don't sell it you'll regret it. Just start sliding the front seat forward one click at a time and you'll get used to driving closer to the wheel (which unless you have an extremely short torso) will likely put you in a better driving position. IIRC one of the Porsche Racing Team drivers has a youtube on proper seat distance for road/auto-x racing, which in the end you are a lot closer to the wheel than most people actually sit.

The cobalt not being safe enough for your kids? The cobalt has a damn good crash test rating, the ignition isn't a huge deal because I'm assuming here, but you know what to do if the car shuts off while driving. Brakes still work so does the steering it just requires a little more force.
That and the only reason our years were included is because they couldn't be sure that the switch wasn't replaced with a bad one.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:15 AM   #8  

Quote:

I'm in line with ECaulk here. Honestly you could just store it for $200/year in a climate controlled storage place. That way when you have some time and have that itch to go for a rip, it's there safe and sound.
ProfDNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:19 AM   #9  
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CudaJoe View Post
Well I think the cobalt is safe enough for me. My wife sees it as me doing this as I drive it with the baby in the car.

I wouldnt be driving the malibu, Id have the equinox and I know thats got a ton of room for two car seats. We are doing that now when we go places with the kids. My wife got a promotion this year and is eager to represent it with a newer car lol.

Guaranteed I will be disappointed in life if I sell it.

As far as choosing $6500. I would love to list it as $10k and see what offers I get but the reality is, a young persons going to buy this or a parent buying their teen a car. They are going to grab the $5000 honda civic from 2004 over this if I set the price well above a kbb number.
Don't fall for the show the Jones' your new monies. Put it in a retirement Roth IRA and savings don't increase your monthly bills. The real reason she see's it as MJ holding a baby out the window is she wants to show off at work, which is a really shitty reason to make a 25k purchase.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:26 AM   #10  

Quote:
Don't fall for the show the Jones' your new monies. Put it in a retirement Roth IRA and savings don't increase your monthly bills. The real reason she see's it as MJ holding a baby out the window is she wants to show off at work, which is a really shitty reason to make a 25k purchase.
You mean make a fiscally responsible decision? But that's why we have loans!
Old 01-11-2018, 11:26 AM   #11  

i was in a similar situation as you man. i sold my cobalt because i wanted something a little nicer and bigger. so i ended up getting a g35. granted i loved having the 4 doors and more room but it wasnt necessary. i missed the hell out of the cobalt when i sold it, hence why i bought it back. will you miss it? of course you will. we use our jeep for everything so the cobalt i only drive. maybe she could just park in a different spot at the hospital lol?? I say, keep the cobalt, keep the equinox and buy the malibu lol. keep the cobalt as a nice weekend car!

If you do decide to sell it, start high man. i sold mine with 118K in great shape for $7K last year. you could easily get 8-9K for yours!! hell maybe even 10! someone will pay for a very well kept car in my opinion.
hawkssoccer11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:33 AM   #12  

I agree, be the tool with the extra car in the guest spot. Who cares?
Old 01-11-2018, 11:41 AM   #13  

I know how you feel. I would say keep it. But family does come first. But I don't see your car being that impractical for your family.
royce777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:32 PM   #14  

I just went through a similar situation. Wife has an Equinox, but she wanted me to get something newer, safer, and more reliable, that way we have two cars that can be used for pretty much any situation. The Malibu Premiums are fantastic. Looked at a couple before I settled on my ATS.

We don't have a lot of room for vehicles either. Between our two dailies, the Colorado, and having the Luv blown apart taking up my entire garage, we are constantly playing musical cars. It's a pain in the ass, but to me, it is worth it to have a toy.

If financials allow it, I say get the Malibu, keep the Cobalt, and to hell with the guest parking spot. They can park in another one lol.
AHelm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:40 PM   #15  

The ignition recall has more to do with a design flaw in the key rather than the ignition switch itself. If those of you that had the recall done noticed your new key has the key ring hole bored right through the central axis. This doesn't allow the mass of what is on the key ring to create a torque on the key whereas the original slotted design allows the mass to pull on the key away from the axis of rotation which induces a torque and rotates the key and ignition switch turning off the car. IMO they could have fixed the problem just buy issuing new keys but they understandably wanted to play it safe and I think the new switch has a stronger detent? What I am getting at is I think you could take your old key and either grind/cut off the slotted portion (or leave it) and drill a new hole along the central axis of rotation and it should be a lot safer.
jdbaugh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:42 PM   #16  

I wouldn't sell mine unless I was getting something that I could still have fun with, but I guess family changes things.
double clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:48 PM   #17  
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbaugh1 View Post
The ignition recall has more to do with a design flaw in the key rather than the ignition switch itself. If those of you that had the recall done noticed your new key has the key ring hole bored right through the central axis. This doesn't allow the mass of what is on the key ring to create a torque on the key whereas the original slotted design allows the mass to pull on the key away from the axis of rotation which induces a torque and rotates the key and ignition switch turning off the car. IMO they could have fixed the problem just buy issuing new keys but they understandably wanted to play it safe and I think the new switch has a stronger detent? What I am getting at is I think you could take your old key and either grind/cut off the slotted portion (or leave it) and drill a new hole along the central axis of rotation and it should be a lot safer.
The improvement was internal to the switch requiring more force to shut it off. A first round involved installing inserts to prevent the key ring from sliding around. The real solution would be to not keep a ton of **** on your car keys and learn how to drive a car in a total power loss situation.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:51 PM   #18  

I'm never selling mine. It's market value is far lower than it's value too me so it's not worth selling. I don't think new vehicles are worth what they charge for them. My Cobalt is the newest vehicle I own lol. I don't have a family but if I did I would be shopping for an older mini-van just because they will do the same job as a new SUV but at a much lower cost. Also far less depreciation. Although I do view vehicles as a utility and don't care about having a car as shiny as the Jones's.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:52 PM   #19  

Quote:
The improvement was internal to the switch requiring more force to shut it off.
Yeah that's what I meant by stronger detent.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:56 PM   #20  
Platinum Member

You could get 8.5k for your car I wanna say even 9k, but I would keep the balt and the equinox and just go buy the Malibu if you guys don't mind having the extra payment. If not then maybe trade the equinox get a Malibu and you keep the balt?

I had to trade in my wife's camaro to get an impala and I sold my coupe and got my self a sedan they are a bit small for all the kids stuff but you can manage easily on them. I'm really happy with my sedan
Snail_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:57 PM   #21  

Quote:
The improvement was internal to the switch requiring more force to shut it off. A first round involved installing inserts to prevent the key ring from sliding around. The real solution would be to not keep a ton of **** on your car keys and learn how to drive a car in a total power loss situation.
Yes, it was both. The real shady thing that GM got caught doing was that they knew about the issue, updated the switch, but never did a recall. They also didn't change the part number. Our years got the updated switch, but since they never updated the part number they had to replace our switch as well.

Admittedly that's something VW does better. They embed the revision number in the part number, regardless of how benign the revision was. GM changes the entire number for a revision (or doesn't bother).
Old 01-11-2018, 12:59 PM   #22  

Minivans are on the list of potential vehicles to get. then end game for us would be a minivan and whatever my wife was getting. I might tell her Cobalts not going anywhere and she'll just have to pay a higher monthly payment for her car instead of getting the cobalt sale as a downpayment.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:07 PM   #23  

i would take a sedan in a heart beat as a full blown trade for my coupe that was in equally as good of shape as mine but it would have to be white because our trunks are pretty dang big for the size of our cars.

cuda, there ya go!!! now your thinking lol
hawkssoccer11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 01:16 PM   #24  
Platinum Member

Now your talking
Snail_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 01:35 PM   #25  

Joe- don't go down the road of trying to keep up with others due to making more, you will end up worse than before as I've seen it 100 times. Cars are a horrible endearment and you will lose your ass on the Malibu. Wife's Regal lost over 1/2 the value in 5 yrs of ownership.
I would try and make it work first, and not just give up and get another car. Also the Malibu's are roughly the same size as a Regal and I don't know if that's quite big enough over a Cobalt for inside room. Thinking more like impala size.
If she really just wants room you can always try and get one of the last gen impalas that they made about 2 additional years for use as fleet cars when the new model was out. Coworker got one from out in your area (think it was a 15) in 16 with 14k miles for like $14k. Food for thought.
63 Nova SS is offline   Reply With Quote