Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   New Members Check In!! (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/new-members-check-186/)
-   -   New 08 black coupe LNF owner. I need to know eVeRyThInG! (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/new-members-check-186/new-08-black-coupe-lnf-owner-i-need-know-everything-327503/)

DeanSsspsh 03-12-2019 04:34 AM

New 08 black coupe LNF owner. I need to know eVeRyThInG!

I purchased the car on october 28, 2018 from xstylus that's a member on this forum. It's in the classifieds on this forum & is marked sold. I was in desperate search for a turbo charged platform. I honestly didn't know much about the cobalt but did my research then started searching for them. I feel i got extremely lucky with this one. The previous owner & only owner of this car took good care of it. Had 100,000 mile warranty & kept it stock. New turbo @ 80,000 ( nothing wrong with it_dealer suggested a throw parts at it fix which turned out to be something else)@ 125,000 the original suspension was replaced with oem shocks struts yyz v5 springs, moog cabs and endlinks. Goodridge stainless steel brake lines, dot 4 brake fluid. New oem rotors & hawk pads. Always changed oil & filter with mobil 1 every 5000 miles. Things replaced were evap purg solenoid 90,000, evap vent solenoid 90,000, evap canister 90,000 oem spark plugs 90,000, reverse switch, oem pully and belt installed at 115,000. Kenwood double-din car stereo with gps & reverse camera. Equipped with moon roof, g85, no rips tears or damage. I had to clay bar, compound, polish & wax. It had allot of water spots from sprinkler negligence but surprisingly got most of it out. I got all the maintenance records as well. All dealership warranty work. I bought the car with 143,000 all stock besides the springs & stereo for 3,800. I now have 145,867 miles on it. I've been lurking on this forum since i found my car on it. I love the car and am forever changed by my limitless pursuit for great drivability. I drive this car but the irony is.... I'm driven by it. I am a noob & take on advice like sponge would water. Thanks to this forum i was able to clean my intake valves that were never cleaned. I upgraded to zzp catted downpipe, zzp intake tube(stock box) 3 bar map sensors & pigtails & zzp canned tuned for these mods. Been getting p0236 p0106 codes since then. Thanks tho this forum i did a boost leak test and found a crack in my intercooler( coldside bottom where the condensate tray used to be) and lower charge pipe had seep at the joint by the sensor. Fixed the intercooler with jb plastic weld. Held 26 pounds in closed system boost leak test(plugged lower charge pipe just below throttle body). Couldn't get rid of p0236 and limp mode. The problem was so intermittent. Came and went so randomly. I thought for sure it was a sensor problem or pigtail seeming how i thought i ruled out boost leak. Wrong! I started reading up about how the bypass valve solenoid works which brought me to the infamous vacuum tank leak. I never got any bubbles when doing boost leak test on the vacuum tank but was real hard to see( no jacks or stands). I decided to bypass the vacuum tank yesterday & cleared the codes. & to my amazement the car is driving great. No more limp mode or codes. I know some of you are thinking it's just a canned tune but look at it from my perspective. All i know is the stock feel & limp mode. This is like a totally new car now. It's always going to be something though. It feels like my clutch is barely holding 23 lbs @ 3500 in 3rd. Oh and tires are getting smoked in 2nd. Won't hold full boost(Michelin pilot sport as 3+ ) so thank you in advance for steering me in the right direction. Cheers & um sorry for such a long post. No & then! END

steelmesh 03-12-2019 08:26 AM

Reading Mod
I purchased the car on october 28, 2018 from xstylus that's a member on this forum. It's in the classifieds on this forum & is marked sold. I was in desperate search for a turbo charged platform. I honestly didn't know much about the cobalt but did my research then started searching for them. I feel i got extremely lucky with this one. The previous owner & only owner of this car took good care of it. Had 100,000 mile warranty & kept it stock.

New turbo @ 80,000 ( nothing wrong with it_dealer suggested a throw parts at it fix which turned out to be something else)@ 125,000 the original suspension was replaced with oem shocks struts yyz v5 springs, moog cabs and endlinks. Goodridge stainless steel brake lines, dot 4 brake fluid. New oem rotors & hawk pads. Always changed oil & filter with mobil 1 every 5000 miles. Things replaced were evap purg solenoid 90,000, evap vent solenoid 90,000, evap canister 90,000 oem spark plugs 90,000, reverse switch, oem pully and belt installed at 115,000. Kenwood double-din car stereo with gps & reverse camera. Equipped with moon roof, g85, no rips tears or damage.

I had to clay bar, compound, polish & wax. It had allot of water spots from sprinkler negligence but surprisingly got most of it out. I got all the maintenance records as well. All dealership warranty work. I bought the car with 143,000 all stock besides the springs & stereo for 3,800. I now have 145,867 miles on it. I've been lurking on this forum since i found my car on it. I love the car and am forever changed by my limitless pursuit for great drivability. I drive this car but the irony is.... I'm driven by it. I am a noob & take on advice like sponge would water.

Thanks to this forum i was able to clean my intake valves that were never cleaned. I upgraded to zzp catted downpipe, zzp intake tube(stock box) 3 bar map sensors & pigtails & zzp canned tuned for these mods. Been getting p0236 p0106 codes since then. Thanks tho this forum i did a boost leak test and found a crack in my intercooler( coldside bottom where the condensate tray used to be) and lower charge pipe had seep at the joint by the sensor. Fixed the intercooler with jb plastic weld. Held 26 pounds in closed system boost leak test(plugged lower charge pipe just below throttle body). Couldn't get rid of p0236 and limp mode. The problem was so intermittent. Came and went so randomly. I thought for sure it was a sensor problem or pigtail seeming how i thought i ruled out boost leak. Wrong! I started reading up about how the bypass valve solenoid works which brought me to the infamous vacuum tank leak. I never got any bubbles when doing boost leak test on the vacuum tank but was real hard to see( no jacks or stands).

I decided to bypass the vacuum tank yesterday & cleared the codes. & to my amazement the car is driving great. No more limp mode or codes. I know some of you are thinking it's just a canned tune but look at it from my perspective. All i know is the stock feel & limp mode. This is like a totally new car now. It's always going to be something though. It feels like my clutch is barely holding 23 lbs @ 3500 in 3rd. Oh and tires are getting smoked in 2nd. Won't hold full boost(Michelin pilot sport as 3+ ) so thank you in advance for steering me in the right direction. Cheers & um sorry for such a long post. No & then! END

63 Nova SS 03-12-2019 08:37 PM

They are fun cars for sure and I would suggest getting a better tune. If you want traction and are having fun I would also stay stock turbo till you just can't stand it any longer. If you have access to e47 then get tuned for it because it makes the car so much better.

Sport Red LNF 03-13-2019 10:09 PM

Welcome! I'm surprised you have found anywhere to really open it up being in Van Nuys, most of the time its just bumper to bumper traffic!

DeanSsspsh 03-14-2019 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by 63 Nova SS (Post 7708526)
They are fun cars for sure and I would suggest getting a better tune. If you want traction and are having fun I would also stay stock turbo till you just can't stand it any longer. If you have access to e47 then get tuned for it because it makes the car so much better.

Thank you 63 Nova SS for the suggestiion. That's pretty much where I'm trying to end up. I almost went for the e-47 tune but there's limited ethanol stations near me. I read that I'd also have to change injector seals as well. There's literally one gas station near me & they don't have 91 @the same pump. I'm hoping the availability of ethanol picks up though because that's my next goal. I'm surfing for a good local tuner in the mean time but would honestly be happy if i could get rid of P0236.

DeanSsspsh 03-14-2019 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Sport Red LNF (Post 7708593)
Welcome! I'm surprised you have found anywhere to really open it up being in Van Nuys, most of the time its just bumper to bumper traffic!

yup! You know what's up. The traffic here is ridiculous! Very frustrating. I take it to sesnon once in a while to open it up. I'm always driving to Simi valley as well. Thanx fur the welcome Sport Red LNF!

colodude18 03-15-2019 01:31 PM

Welcome!

63 Nova SS 03-16-2019 07:31 AM

The place I got my e85 from also didn't have premium so I would mix it in gas cans.