Nitrous Oxide N20

Illinois Nitrous Oxide Law *IMPORTANT*

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Illinois Nitrous Oxide Law *IMPORTANT*

Alright, I know a lot of people out there living in Illinois are in the dark about the nitrous oxide law, and there is a LOT of misinformation out there as well. I've heard that it's illegal to drive on the street with an open bottle, you can't use it on the highway, you can have the bottle but the N2O lines have to be disconnected, or that it's flat out illegal and your car will get impounded and you'll get fined up the ****, blah blah blah.

Well, I have good news for everybody, but first I will post the IL Law regarding Nitrous Oxide use:
ARTICLE 24.5. NITROUS OXIDE

(720 ILCS 5/24.5‑5)
Sec. 24.5‑5. Unlawful possession. Any person who possesses nitrous oxide or any substance containing nitrous oxide, with the intent to breathe, inhale, or ingest for the purpose of causing a condition of intoxication, elation, euphoria, dizziness, stupefaction, or dulling of the senses or for the purpose of, in any manner, changing, distorting, or disturbing the audio, visual, or mental processes, or who knowingly and with the intent to do so is under the influence of nitrous oxide or any material containing nitrous oxide is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor. A person who commits a second or subsequent violation of this Section is guilty of a Class 4 felony. This Section shall not apply to any person who is under the influence of nitrous oxide or any material containing nitrous oxide pursuant to an administration for the purpose of medical, surgical, or dental care by a person duly licensed to administer such an agent.
(Source: P.A. 91‑366, eff. 1‑1‑00.)

(720 ILCS 5/24.5‑10)
Sec. 24.5‑10. Unlawful manufacture or delivery. Any person, firm, corporation, co‑partnership, limited liability company, or association that intentionally manufactures, delivers, or possesses with intent to manufacture or deliver nitrous oxide for any purpose prohibited under Section 24.5‑5 is guilty of a Class 3 felony.

To be totally sure, I contacted my local police department and the police officer verified that indeed there is a law prohibiting the possession of nitrous oxide with the intent to inhale - basically to get high - but there is no law prohibiting or regulating the use whatsoever of nitrous oxide as a performance booster in a car. He said "as long as you're obeying the speed limits, and all other rules of the road, we don't care if you have nitrous in your car or not" hahaha not all cops are ********, eh?? As far as the intent to inhale goes, you are protected because when you fill up your nitrous you are being supplied with an automotive grade of nitrous oxide called Nytrous Plus which contains trace amounts of sulfure dioxide (100 PPM-Parts Per Million) to prevent substance abuse. Medical grade (U.S.P.) nitrous oxide (which is what people use to get high, or at the dentist lol) is not available to the public.

So there you have it, and to all of my fellow residents of beautiful IL, I say to you: SPRAY AWAY!!!

Last edited by thlerry; 09-09-2011 at 12:31 AM. Reason: I used "is" instead of "I" at the end of the post.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:49 PM

nice im going to get my 50 shot next = )
Old 03-18-2012, 04:28 PM

good waz shady about spraying but now im all in elgin il. repin boys waz good!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-25-2013, 12:16 PM

2 years of running a wet 75 shot and I'm not going back! SS/SC Cobalts just aren't a threat anymore :p
Old 04-25-2013, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts
good to know i gotta tell this to my buddy who's doing a n20 250 shot build on his t.a.!

i'd bet an lsj would love a 50 shot
Old 07-04-2017, 03:23 AM

Age?

Originally Posted by thlerry
Alright, I know a lot of people out there living in Illinois are in the dark about the nitrous oxide law, and there is a LOT of misinformation out there as well. I've heard that it's illegal to drive on the street with an open bottle, you can't use it on the highway, you can have the bottle but the N2O lines have to be disconnected, or that it's flat out illegal and your car will get impounded and you'll get fined up the ****, blah blah blah.

Well, I have good news for everybody, but first I will post the IL Law regarding Nitrous Oxide use:
ARTICLE 24.5. NITROUS OXIDE

(720 ILCS 5/24.5‑5)
Sec. 24.5‑5. Unlawful possession. Any person who possesses nitrous oxide or any substance containing nitrous oxide, with the intent to breathe, inhale, or ingest for the purpose of causing a condition of intoxication, elation, euphoria, dizziness, stupefaction, or dulling of the senses or for the purpose of, in any manner, changing, distorting, or disturbing the audio, visual, or mental processes, or who knowingly and with the intent to do so is under the influence of nitrous oxide or any material containing nitrous oxide is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor. A person who commits a second or subsequent violation of this Section is guilty of a Class 4 felony. This Section shall not apply to any person who is under the influence of nitrous oxide or any material containing nitrous oxide pursuant to an administration for the purpose of medical, surgical, or dental care by a person duly licensed to administer such an agent.

(720 ILCS 5/24.5‑10)
Sec. 24.5‑10. Unlawful manufacture or delivery. Any person, firm, corporation, co‑partnership, limited liability company, or association that intentionally manufactures, delivers, or possesses with intent to manufacture or deliver nitrous oxide for any purpose prohibited under Section 24.5‑5 is guilty of a Class 3 felony.

To be totally sure, I contacted my local police department and the police officer verified that indeed there is a law prohibiting the possession of nitrous oxide with the intent to inhale - basically to get high - but there is no law prohibiting or regulating the use whatsoever of nitrous oxide as a performance booster in a car. He said "as long as you're obeying the speed limits, and all other rules of the road, we don't care if you have nitrous in your car or not" hahaha not all cops are ********, eh?? As far as the intent to inhale goes, you are protected because when you fill up your nitrous you are being supplied with an automotive grade of nitrous oxide called Nytrous Plus which contains trace amounts of sulfure dioxide (100 PPM-Parts Per Million) to prevent substance abuse. Medical grade (U.S.P.) nitrous oxide (which is what people use to get high, or at the dentist lol) is not available to the public.

So there you have it, and to all of my fellow residents of beautiful IL, I say to you: SPRAY AWAY!!!
Illinois I was wondering how old would you have to be to buy little 8 gram N2o cartridges in Illinois?
Old 07-04-2017, 11:47 AM
Platinum Member

Received 584 Likes on 519 Posts
Wut
Old 07-04-2017, 02:06 PM

Received 316 Likes on 296 Posts
Originally Posted by Slowbalt2000
Wut
Maybe he is going into dentistry, or making whippets.
Old 07-04-2017, 05:24 PM
Platinum Member

Received 584 Likes on 519 Posts
Good place to ask lol
Old 09-11-2022, 09:56 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 154 Likes on 131 Posts
so what ur saying is, i have to remove the line i have to the drivers seat that goes into a gas mask?
Old 09-14-2022, 10:27 AM

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
Or use some kind of quick disconnect. Lol.