North Central ND, SD, MN, and WI

Exhaust question??

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust question??

Since i figured out what performance mod i was gonna do which is the ott stage 1 with the 2.8 pulley, 60 lbs injectors and more than likely gonna spend the money on a better heat exchanger i now what to figure out what would be the best exhaust for the cobalt...
I was thinkin about magnaflow for it but DAMN that is way to expensive and i dont know if i want to spend that much money on that... but then i have been lookin into the megan racing catback exhaust and i do like the sound of that and it is in my price range for exhaust... right now for exhaust i only have stock and it is just starting to break in and get louder lol
if i could get help out on what exhaust to actually get that would be greatly helpful because i really dont know which one to buy.. and i have been told many different things about which exhaust to actually get
Old 05-16-2009, 04:28 AM

It all comes down to tone, and flow. some systems will advertise anywhere between 3% to 15% exhaust flow. the thing about exhaust systems is they are supporting mods. your gonna want more flow of gases so you can get more new fuel/air into your cylinders. what you need to ask yourself is how much power you want, that will help you figure out how much flow you need. tone is formed by the amount of gases flowing out through the cat/resonator(sp?). I would recommend any system 2.5"to 3" system seeing as you have 60# injectors, what intake do you have is also something to figure into the equasion to. cause the mor air/fuel in the more your x-system needs to flow out. hope this helped a lil.
Old 05-16-2009, 04:49 AM

if your mods are going to stay were they are and do nothing after this, the megan would be ok. note but becasue of how the muffler style is,it is very very loud. if you plan on doing more mods or most power you'll see more with a 3inch downpipe and any 3 inch cat back, dont know of and 3inch on the market other than vibrant i have a 3inch but is custom.
Old 05-16-2009, 01:13 PM

alright cool yeah right now im just trying to figure out what i wanna get cuz i want to actually keep me warranty on the car untill it runs out and then im thinkin about buildin it
right now i just have 42# injectors and a cai and just a gm tune when i got the stage 1...
after the warranty is up i was gonna do the ott stage 1 but thats like 4 year out so i dont know what i actually want to do for exhaust... i just need something that will get the better flow out than the stock exhaust.. so would it be worth spendin the money on a 3 inch catback right away or not?
Old 05-18-2009, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by aaron1218
alright cool yeah right now im just trying to figure out what i wanna get cuz i want to actually keep me warranty on the car untill it runs out and then im thinkin about buildin it
right now i just have 42# injectors and a cai and just a gm tune when i got the stage 1...
after the warranty is up i was gonna do the ott stage 1 but thats like 4 year out so i dont know what i actually want to do for exhaust... i just need something that will get the better flow out than the stock exhaust.. so would it be worth spendin the money on a 3 inch catback right away or not?
yeah you'll see gains and you see more when you do more to your car, i see it this way spend the money once or spend the money on a 2.5 exhaust and have to spend it again on a 3" later..... i would just by a 3 inch now saves you money in the future ext... but your going to want a 3inch downpipe to go with it theres a few people that make 3inch downpipes but only vibrant make a 3inch catback that i know of, i dont know of any others off hand
Old 05-18-2009, 01:24 AM

I myself have 60's and 2.8" pulleyand other mods and have full 3" exhaust with a CA V2 header, ZZP High flow catted DP and Vibrant catback and its great but I'm going to need to weld in another resonator or something cuz my exhaust right now is Crazy loud.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:27 AM

if you do go magnaflow they will get ride of alot of noise trust me lol for a secondary get the 3inch round style 6 inch over all in size 3inch in and out lets, and is about 27inchs long i had great results with that on mine but i have a custom under axle exhaust with basicly no restriction so it was really loud... but its not so lound now. granted its still is loud but not "******* cops going to pull you over loud"....lol
Old 05-18-2009, 11:10 AM

alright sweet yeah like you said spend the money once instead of twice.. so i will look into the magnaflow exhaust for the car
i can get magnaflow at cost thru my performance shop right now but im not sure how long the performance shop will be up and runnin.. and i dont know if you guys have any place cheaper that you can get the magnaflow exhaust from... so if you guys could piont me to a good site to buy this from that would help very much..
Old 05-19-2009, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by aaron1218
alright sweet yeah like you said spend the money once instead of twice.. so i will look into the magnaflow exhaust for the car
i can get magnaflow at cost thru my performance shop right now but im not sure how long the performance shop will be up and runnin.. and i dont know if you guys have any place cheaper that you can get the magnaflow exhaust from... so if you guys could piont me to a good site to buy this from that would help very much..
just have the part number theres dealars on ebay self them for like 89$ free shipping thats only the muffler
Old 05-19-2009, 08:30 AM

alright cool i will more than likely look on ebay for that then