North Pacific WA and OR

New to the area need some help! Motor swap!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 08:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to the area need some help! Motor swap!

Hey guys, I just moved out to the PNW about a year and a half ago, and at about the same time, due to a freak accident my car spun some rod bearings and toasted the motor. Luckily I had a spare in components and have been building it in my free time to drop in the car (very scare on the free time, heh). Anyways, now that the motor is done, I'm looking for some place/ some help to do this thing.

I don't really have the time or space to get the swap done in my garage so I've been looking for a bay/lift that I can rent or use to do it. so far I'm coming up with nothing. So if anyone has any help or suggestions at all, it would be greatly appreciated! I'm located in the Kirkland/Bothell area and would be willing to tow the car/drive pretty much anywhere to get this done. My buddies suggested the shop at ft. Lewis or another base, but I don't know someone that could get me on base.

Once again, any help from tips, to a place to do this would be a lifesaver. I desperately need my car back for school/work!

Thanks guys,

Kevin
Old 05-05-2012, 08:24 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
There is a place down in Renton/Kent that will rent out shop time and tools. Prices aren't too bad, tools are free to use if you rent a full day.
Self Serve Garage in Kent, Washington | Do It Yourself Auto Garage | Auto Repair Shop Rental in Kent, Washington
Old 05-05-2012, 08:55 PM

Yeah I saw that place... but figuring this would take a couple days I can't afford the $600 or whatever it is they are asking for two full days. Unless they would be willing to cut me a massive deal. Thanks though man I'll have to call them!
Old 05-09-2012, 12:23 AM

lemme know if you need any help with this project...ive done alot with these motors. Pulled a few L61s completely out and have pulled trannys/ complete front ends off SS balts. Honestly with a good jack, some jack stands, and an engine hoist...it can be done almost anywhere...and we could probly get it to where an engine is bolted in, all mounts are solid, and your susp/ steering is all in and set in a single day. Then you could tow it home and install all your top end/ sc/ etc with it just lifted on stands/ on the ground (if time didnt permit). And really....if you had all the parts (were 100% there werent going to be any parts/ logistical snags) there isnt any reason it couldnt be done in a day, two max.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:30 PM

That's very kind of you, I think I found a place that will let me do it on a lift either this weekend or next for like $100, which I feel like would make it a lot easier. But yes any help would be awesome! I'll pm you to discuss the details a little more and we can discuss some of the logistics too. That's what I'm dealing with right now, trying to plan and not run into a whole bunch of ****.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:58 PM

Just PM'd ya. Looking forward to talking to you!\

Kevin
Old 05-20-2012, 05:31 PM

Well I'm shooting for this weekend to do this swap at Meister Auto Werks (A VW place) they're letting me rent a lift/bay for the weekend. So if anyone around here wants to stop by or help at all, pm me or post here and we can talk details. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. I don't really have any buddies to help me out here!

Kevin