Pictures & Videos Your pictures, photoshops, and videos.

Official Retrofit Review Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
awwww ya dawg. just to think.... people think rats nest wiring is "quality"
Old 01-07-2012, 05:30 PM

subd nice idea
Old 01-07-2012, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by steddy2112
Because input from someone who has had two sets over 3-4 years is crap input?

You cray
well i didnt jsut want to post "subd"
Old 01-07-2012, 05:42 PM
Banned

I'm looking at getting retro HId"s soon and I am doing my homework before hand, so trust me when I say that I really appreciate these threads.......if I didn't do my homework then it would be me who wrote this thread lol
Old 01-07-2012, 06:04 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I purchased a lightly used set of lights that streetracinazian made. They were the black one with green evil eye he made for michiganfootballer or someone, I cant remember.
The HID kit included with it was very inexpensive low quality stuff.

The bulbs were supposed to be 6000k but looked way more like 8000k

The bulb holder bracket thing only had 2 of 3 screws on one side and was all crooked.

The headlight reflector looked like a chainsaw was used to modify it

The EvilEye wire and the highbeam wires both went through the headlight seal.

There was no connector or terminals of anykind on the EvilEye wires, just bare wire ends.

Nothing plugged into the passenger side blue headlight connector....it just flopped in the breeze, unused and getting corroded

The tiny high beam wires went through the sharp edges of the relfector with nothing covering them or protecting them.

The relay harness was a cheap Chinese piece of **** that was hack and slashed to hell, I was told that SRA physicllay helped on the wiring. It was a clusterfuck at best. Wires were just twisted together and then electrical taped, there wasnt a single long wire that was one piece, the whole thing was splices.

The relay was only a 10amp relay, two ballasts draw at least 7 amps each when they turn on....do the math.

And lastly it used a different kind of fuse than the car, so when a fuse blew I didnt have any spares I had to make trip to the store and match it up.(after I untaped it because they werent sealed at all)

There was no coating or protection on the relay or any connectors, and nothing was waterproof so it rotted out so bad it didnt work and had to be replaced. (The guy I bought them from was shocked, but he paid for a new harness)

Last edited by Maven; 01-07-2012 at 06:10 PM.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 208 Likes on 168 Posts
Yikes!
Old 01-07-2012, 06:10 PM

thats horrible....
Old 01-07-2012, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

When posting pictures of a vendor on here it is ok to post their name to associate them to their work to make it clear to potential costumers who's work is what
Old 01-07-2012, 06:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Taking things too seriously? If I had bought retros like that and they were that much of a hack-show, I'd be pissed too (assuming thats what you mean with that comment). Its an appalling low level of quality. Someone who sells a product of that quality clearly doesn't care, I mean where is the pride in the craftsmanship?

Oh well, as it was said previously, most people with Cobalts don't want to spend the money since they turn and burn their cars every two years or so. Very few people with these cars actually keep them past the two or three year mark. With that type of ownership comes the mentality of 'modding' using cheap and dirty products and methods. Many don't want to pay for the quality. I know someone who had an LSJ and the damn thing caught fire in a parking garage, almost certainly as a result of a cheap ass chinese HID kit. Its all fun and games until you're left with a smoldering pile of ash. HaHa.

Those retros by Maven are OEM quality. The kind of stuff these cars could have come with, and given the attention to detail, many people would easily mistake them for stock. Definitely worth the money spent.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:21 PM
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2.2balt
Taking things too seriously? If I had bought retros like that and they were that much of a hack-show, I'd be pissed too (assuming thats what you mean with that comment).
no i'm not talking about mavens post.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:30 PM

Looking at these pictures I realize exactly what I have done incorrectly in my lights. I now know why they have always fogged up. Thank you for this thread. That one set looks hideous, mine that I did myself are cleaner than those.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:22 PM

I had a set from Blownss06. They were so-so. Much like something I could do. Driver's side had no connectors, so 2 of the bulbs have to be pulled just to remove the headlight, since the plugs are part of the relay harness. One of the orange reflectors popped off because he didn't epoxy them in. Also he tinted my orange reflectors, even though I specifically told him not to. The relays aren't very well protected, so one has some minor corrosion. Also, I had to seal the rubber gasket myself. He left a mile wide gap between the gasket and the back of the stock reflector, and they kept fogging before I did that. The main reason I looked for a replacement was because the driver's side FXR solenoid sticks on occasion. I've tried to lube it a little through the hole, and work it, and it's a little better, but I decided to upgrade. I really was tired of the gatling shrouds anyways. They don't fit with the rest of the car.

Blownss06

Driver's side back. I don't have the turn and side marker in because it requires the entire relay harness be hooked up... I don't care who you are. Anyone engineer (like me) will tell you that's wrong.

I just got a set from Maven for the same price, and they are built far better. The relay harness and headlights are true plug and play. All the connections were labelled too, and covered with dielectric grease. I have 2 minor gripes. One was that the little step for the turn signal was left chromed. I assumed that would have been painted for a cleaner look. He fixed this on the next set he painted for another customer. The other caught me by surprise. He aims the projectors inwards a little so that the steps converge at distance. I can't say this would be my preference, but I can live with it. It'll be an option, I think, from now.

Labelled connectors. Also note that he protects the wires, and uses GM style connectors, and grip tape. I added a little electrical tape to one of the grounds, but it's because I had it running in a spot where it was in contact with the radiator support:

Installed. I use blue painter's tape to keep from scratching up the bumper any more than it already is:

Up close:

Quad SMD 5050 LED side marker at my request. These are very bright, and I really like them. Reliability remains to be seen, but I got a bag of 10 for cheap:

Output shot. Rotation is ever so slightly off, but nothing to write home about. You can see how the steps merge very aggressively. Normally they stay straight in front of the projector, and travel parallel to each other, regardless of distance:
Old 01-07-2012, 11:10 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Those look great! Im glad there have been a good number of posts stating this tread is helping them in one way or another. This is what I wanted to accomplish, the people who don't get it weren't in the market anyway
Old 01-08-2012, 12:38 AM

cant wait to get reviews of buyhids... ill be sure to put up my first impression reviews.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:54 AM
Platinum Member

nuff said?

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/appe...retros-264310/

i made mine. i learned alot, and still arent done. at the moment i have no highs. but thats do to TRS's harness. i have herd that maven make AWESOME harnesses. so ill consider buying his before inspection.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:32 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

The harnesses are a thing of beauty for sure
Old 01-08-2012, 04:12 AM

Sub'd... Ive got some complete retrofits on order from BuyHIDs.com. Ill post up a thorough review when I get them.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:15 AM

please do as buyhids has yet to step in and claim their new "prized work"
Old 01-08-2012, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by whyyoumadson?
please do as buyhids has yet to step in and claim their new "prized work"
I will. Ill get a bunch of pics as soon as I get everything, and Ill post up a thorough review. As long as they dont leak Ill be happy. The one thing I DO NOT want is foggy headlights.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:06 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
This thread is clear as day a stab at me.. everyone knows this. I knew it would happen when 07 became a mod Oh well what can you do. Theres the select few who don't like me that will always post and the bunch that do but dont post. I dont get why you 2 both say i dont post my work. There is at least 5 threads with the pics of my retros.. Anyway i always send people to the other modders if they want something that i will not do. I guess i should stop that lol.

Last edited by mkulrey13; 01-08-2012 at 02:13 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:19 PM

i just think you should post pics up of your harness and what not..... thats all.

its a complete review thread.... street racin azians or whatever the hell his name is i think are the worst ive seen as far as the harness goes.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by mkulrey13
This thread is clear as day a stab at me.. everyone knows this. I knew it would happen when 07 became a mod Oh well what can you do. Theres the select few who don't like me that will always post and the bunch that do but dont post. I dont get why you 2 both say i dont post my work. There is at least 5 threads with the pics of my retros.. Anyway i always send people to the other modders if they want something that i will not do. I guess i should stop that lol.
Send me my lights and Ill give you a solid review! Gotta represent the NorthEast lol
Old 01-08-2012, 02:40 PM

I wish mine were as bright as those
Old 01-08-2012, 03:05 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mkulrey13
I dont know why youre getting bent outta shape.. I dont think anyone besides 07MSC even mentioned your lights at all.....

I dont know (or care really) if youre throwing me in the group of people that "dont like you" because as you know....I dont know you at all.
Youve been around long enough to know that I dont make comments about vendors or any other subject for that matter, for personal reasons. I point things that Ive seen that I dont like or should imo be avoided for some reason.

Im sure if you think back you can recall at least some of the times I had less than desirable things to say about : Intense, JBP, OEM, OTTP, R1Concepts, Trifecta, TTR, ZZP and others (listed in alphabetic order to avoid additional butt hurt ) I dont typically hold back at all other than to keep my comments of a professional manner. I dont personally know any of these people, and that doesnt matter, it has nothing to do with whether I "like" them or not, its about the quality or function of their product, or their customer service, etc, something about them that may mean theres a reason a potential customers may want to consider another vendor.

Of the vendors who received mine or other criticisms they either changed or stopped doing things they were doing that got them criticized, or they proved me and others wrong. If they couldnt defend their product from the "people who didnt like them" things still changed.

Theres only two vendors who offer retrofitted lights on this site. BH and SRA. I doubt anyone would argue that BH is more active and involved in the community and probably offers better communication with customers, and Ive never seen anyone compare the two compaines products directly. Maybe thats an oppurtunity for you to take and show why BH is the clear choice over SRA, or maybe SRA could do the same thing.

Regardless of what happens I actually see this as an opportunity for a vendor to step up and truly showcase their work and fully explain why they are the best choice. Best craftmanship and attention to detail, most projector offerings, best wiring, best HID components, best communication, etc......Or its going to be the donwfall of both because they refuse or are unable to respond appropriately.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:39 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Im just tired of people here are some pics of the current set im working on for a customer from our groupbuy. I just threw the parts together for some quick pics. As mentioned before besides the harness as we just use TRS's which is on Version 100 but this one seems to be the best thus far...its exactly the same thing or very similar. We label our harness's as well as swap the pins for the 9007 app.

Quick Reply: Official Retrofit Review Thread