Pictures & Videos Your pictures, photoshops, and videos.

Post Up Your Winter Setup

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 07:53 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Post Up Your Winter Setup

I have had my car for four years now, as usual i swap out my all seasons/summers for the dunlops when winter comes around.

Trust me the winter tires make an unbelievable difference..

Lucky for me, the previous owner left them on. But they also kept the stock 5 spokes sadly..

Anyway I have run the dunlops the last four winters and its being a champ.

Even made a few ski trips to boyne mountain.

Besides that my 2.4 has a quaife lsd, bc coils(which ride incredibly btw) and that's it for suspension/grip.

Tires are 215/60/16 if I remember correctly.

Lets see what everyone else does for winter

Winter beater? Go for it

Heres mine this year
Name:  20170129_025224_zpswt50jl2f.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  420.4 KB
Old 02-04-2017, 09:39 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Name:  vxTkBIO.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  1,020.6 KB

Picked up an 05 3.5 4x4 Colorado to brave this winter. So far she's been great. Very uncomfortable though.

Picture is from just before I cleaned up the cobalt and put it in the garage to hibernate.
Old 02-04-2017, 09:42 PM
Banned

Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts
My winter car/Project car. running Michilin Alpin snow tires. Can't beat Subaru AWD in the snow.

Old 02-04-2017, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Canadia

Picked up an 05 3.5 4x4 Colorado to brave this winter. So far she's been great. Very uncomfortable though.

Picture is from just before I cleaned up the cobalt and put it in the garage to hibernate.

Seems nice for a winter car.

I like the extended cab, it would be ideal for a stereo setup if your into that sort of thing.

I currently have two JL 12's in my trunk right now for winter.

Originally Posted by leemanfor
My winter car/Project car. running Michilin Alpin snow tires. Can't beat Subaru AWD in the snow.

Yeah thats no where in the same realm as far as traction comparatively lol.

I did a few years back drive my uncles 12' sti hatch and it was a fun car.

The short shifter was mint and precise, with very very short throws.

I will say going from the one wheel peel diff to the quaife is a significant improvement.

But having symmetrical awd with the winter tires would be fun for sure lol

I almost bought my uncles bug eye back awhiiile ago. 260k miles and the front radiator support was rusting out of the car.

I passed, but it would have made a good car more than likely.
Old 02-05-2017, 12:58 AM

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
I also did the Colorado mod for winter. 2010 2.9 4x4 5spd.

Previously rocked the Goodyear ultragrips with my LSD 08sstc. Absolute beast in winter except for ride hight!

Now she rests for the bad weather.

Name:  E1A98832-65FB-449F-B200-64AFD27AE82E.png
Views: 130
Size:  925.6 KB
Old 02-05-2017, 01:32 AM

Received 263 Likes on 222 Posts

and this is after plowing through a foot of snow. my new smoothie wheels

and my air-water-snow intercooler

at one point today i had snow above the center bar in the grill. it just keeps on chugging though, even being on pedders springs.

and just because, here is the winter setup on my porsche. unfortunately i dont have enough room in my garage right now so it sits outside

Last edited by Sharkey; 02-05-2017 at 09:50 PM.
Old 02-05-2017, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by slapbetcommissioner
I also did the Colorado mod for winter. 2010 2.9 4x4 5spd. Previously rocked the Goodyear ultragrips with my LSD 08sstc. Absolute beast in winter except for ride hight! Now she rests for the bad weather.
Colorado bros how do you Iike it? Mine seems to have some weird electrical demons here and there but so far has been great aside from replacing the water pump.

One Complaint I have though is the seats are pretty uncomfortable after about 45 minutes of driving ..
Old 02-05-2017, 03:24 PM

@coba

I used to like audio stuff before. I had an alpine typeS 12in sub in my base cobalt but I grew out of that stage pretty fast haha.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:47 PM

QUOTE=Sharkey;7638424]

and this is after plowing through a foot of snow. my new smoothie wheels

and my air-water-snow intercooler

at one point today i had snow above the center bar in the grill. it just keeps on chugging though, even being on pedders springs.

and just because, here is the winter setup on my porsche. unfortunately i dont have enough room in my garage right now so it sits outside

[/QUOTE]

That's what im talking about man!

Bet it handles it pretty well too

@coba

I used to like audio stuff before. I had an alpine typeS 12in sub in my base cobalt but I grew out of that stage pretty fast haha.

Yeah I didn't have a stereo for several years.

This time I purchased two JL 12" W7's with two jx/1000 amps and somehow crammed it itno my trunk lol.

Built a custom enclosure as a winter project as I could not justify the cost to build my bottom end, turbo kit, fuel system, and everything else as of yet.

I did the math a bunch of different ways the only way im boosting the car is if I buy all used equipment sadly..

So I bought these subs for fun, got an incredible deal..

These arnt you buddys hifonix lol
Old 02-07-2017, 08:50 PM

The colorados look nice, im glad mid sized trucks are making a come back now.
Old 02-08-2017, 05:16 AM

Colorado bros how do you Iike it? Mine seems to have some weird electrical demons here and there but so far has been great aside from replacing the water pump.

One Complaint I have though is the seats are pretty uncomfortable after about 45 minutes of driving ..
I like it quite a bit. Definitely wish it had few more horsepower. Battery was shot on it when I got it but otherwise it's only cost me gas and insurance.

Tires are not cut out for ice though may need to get some duramax for next season.

Love the color of yours!

What kind of electrical gremlins are you having?
The seats aren't the greatest. But I've never felt like they were bad on long drives. Have you adjusted your lumbar support *** at all?
Old 02-08-2017, 01:40 PM

Received 222 Likes on 182 Posts
My sedan in winter mode.
Attached Thumbnails image-2492775448.jpg  
Old 02-08-2017, 03:01 PM

I like it quite a bit. Definitely wish it had few more horsepower. Battery was shot on it when I got it but otherwise it's only cost me gas and insurance. Tires are not cut out for ice though may need to get some duramax for next season. Love the color of yours! What kind of electrical gremlins are you having? The seats aren't the greatest. But I've never felt like they were bad on long drives. Have you adjusted your lumbar support *** at all?
Well after I replaced the Replaced water pump, replaced window switches as the burned out, now my electrical locks stopped working. The dash lights randomly shut off then come back moments later... the signal lights flicker 5 times out of 10 when I touch the brakes also lol.

I have to ground out the Transfer case control module which is located under the drivers seat (WHY WOULD GM PUT IT HERE) every time I want to engage 4x4. Which isn't a big deal I just just touch a certain spot on the circuit with my finger and 4x4 engages and stays on until I restart the truck.

Other than that it's been working alright. It has a weird idle so I cleaned the TB as it was severely gunked up and it has seemed to fix it. No idea if heads were serviced but if the truck blows up I'll just buy something else. Got it cheap enough to not worry about it.

Drives fine, costs me $65CAD to fill the tank and I get roughly 450km driving good. The lumbar support knob is broken off the seat so that's quite possibly the source of my issue.
Old 02-08-2017, 03:04 PM

Received 357 Likes on 318 Posts

Winter mode
Old 02-11-2017, 09:26 AM

Well after I replaced the Replaced water pump, replaced window switches as the burned out, now my electrical locks stopped working. The dash lights randomly shut off then come back moments later... the signal lights flicker 5 times out of 10 when I touch the brakes also lol.

I have to ground out the Transfer case control module which is located under the drivers seat (WHY WOULD GM PUT IT HERE) every time I want to engage 4x4. Which isn't a big deal I just just touch a certain spot on the circuit with my finger and 4x4 engages and stays on until I restart the truck.

Other than that it's been working alright. It has a weird idle so I cleaned the TB as it was severely gunked up and it has seemed to fix it. No idea if heads were serviced but if the truck blows up I'll just buy something else. Got it cheap enough to not worry about it.

Drives fine, costs me $65CAD to fill the tank and I get roughly 450km driving good. The lumbar support knob is broken off the seat so that's quite possibly the source of my issue.
In my reading there is a ground underneath the air box. Apparently it is a cheap plastic connector that multiple grounds adjoin to and it's only that way to save 2 seconds on the assembly line. It's a known common issue for electrical gremlins. Been told people remove it and use a ring terminal and a bolt instead.
May be worth looking at.
Old 02-11-2017, 09:29 AM

That's roughly the km/tank I'm getting too. Little worse now that it's winter what with warm up time and all. Also bigger tires and a leveling / lift and the leer cap prob don't help.
Keep thinking "coulda had a V8" for that mileage lol.
Old 02-11-2017, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by jdbaugh1

Winter mode

I used to have a silver ls too! I liked it so much I got this one.

Your steelies look alot better than mine. Think I might respray mine this spring.
Old 02-11-2017, 03:13 PM

Received 357 Likes on 318 Posts
Originally Posted by Coba
I used to have a silver ls too! I liked it so much I got this one.

Your steelies look alot better than mine. Think I might respray mine this spring.
My steelies have been resprayed a couple of times. The wheel covers leave a funky rust pattern. I hate wheel covers.
Old 02-11-2017, 05:46 PM

In my reading there is a ground underneath the air box. Apparently it is a cheap plastic connector that multiple grounds adjoin to and it's only that way to save 2 seconds on the assembly line. It's a known common issue for electrical gremlins. Been told people remove it and use a ring terminal and a bolt instead. May be worth looking at.
Haha yeah I did that 3 months ago. Took to plastics right off and shaved the paint off inside of bay and grounded it right to the metal.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:44 AM

Woke up to this

Name:  xWdh3dp.jpg
Views: 4
Size:  131.9 KB

4Hi she came right out 😂
Old 02-14-2017, 05:10 PM

Had a few of those mornings. 4 low made things even easier