Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

air conditioning drainage leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 08:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looked for the troubleshooting section and didn't see one so sorry if wrong section please relocate. passenger side floor board is getting soaked soon as i turn the a/c on. i checked the drain on the fire wall and nothing is clogging it. there hardly a drip outside and it filled a cup of water in 5 minutes, anyone else experience this yet? its goin to the dealer tomorrow demanding new carpet and whatever else i can think of cause god knows how long my g/f has driven the car this way. also rear tires make a rubbing noise as if the rotors are warped, pulled tire inspected bearings, checked the rotors for warpage and can't find a thing. any input on this is appreciated.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:27 PM

I get a rubbing noise sometimes from the rear too.... seems to happen just in the morning or when the car is "cold" so I figure it's just not warmed up yet... I've heard that some cars have sensors that apply the breaks slightly if they are damp. We are getting a heavy dew in the mornings so there is a lot of condensation on the car, and I'm assuming that the condensation is on the breaks as well.

Hope this helps....
Old 10-19-2005, 08:49 PM

Ive fixed over 20 of these at work. Where the lower and upper evaporator cases

are seamed together they will leak (due to no sealer what so ever). When its really warm

and humid (like it gets here in Tennessee) the drain setup cannot handle the amount of

water and leaks out the seam.

The lower case needs to be resealed (6 hr job)

Dont worry about the carpet. it can be dried and will be ok.

Jeff
2005 SS/SC
Chevrolet tech over 18 years

Old 10-19-2005, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by chevytech329
Ive fixed over 20 of these at work. Where the lower and upper evaporator cases

are seamed together they will leak (due to no sealer what so ever). When its really warm

and humid (like it gets here in Tennessee) the drain setup cannot handle the amount of

water and leaks out the seam.

The lower case needs to be resealed (6 hr job)

Dont worry about the carpet. it can be dried and will be ok.

Jeff
2005 SS/SC
Chevrolet tech over 18 years

great so this is a overnight thing probably right. if the brakes malfunction due to humidity then i'm in trouble, living in florida i never see dryness and now i got a hurricane gonne hit me saturday yeah.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:17 AM

It's not so much as a break malfunction as it is a drying technique, sorry for not explaining that better. The breaks will apply slightly until they heat up enough for the rotors to dry off, then it will resume "normal" operations. Again, I don't know if this is the case for our Cobalts or not... but it seems plausable to me.
Old 10-21-2005, 11:06 PM

well took the car in, they said its a typical thing with the a/c. all they did was smear rtv all along the box, looks like ****. he assured me though that they took it apart and sealed it, yeah right. nothing could be found in the rear end though.
Old 10-21-2005, 11:16 PM

Yea i got that a/c leak to.. i wanna take it in but since it's fall there's no need for me to be using the a/c anyway so i'll wait till the spring..and also does anybody get a knocking noise in the back of their car.. can someone explain that
Old 10-22-2005, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by MoMo789
Yea i got that a/c leak to.. i wanna take it in but since it's fall there's no need for me to be using the a/c anyway so i'll wait till the spring..and also does anybody get a knocking noise in the back of their car.. can someone explain that
thats what i was asking b4 on the first post, dealership couldn't find anything though.
Old 10-23-2005, 12:43 PM
BJC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MoMo789

Don't forget, the AC comes on when u turn on the front windsheild defroster.
Old 10-23-2005, 01:15 PM

The problem with the a/c case repair is that the case upper and lower sections are not

screwed together. Its "melted rivets" that hold it together. <small post fitted through a

hole that is melted flat>

Stupid if you ask me. Its a pain in the ass to cut the plastic melt rivets apart, drop the

lower case and reseal. It screws back together (there are holes and areas to thread a screw).

Ive tried the (smear sealer along the edge) but it doesnt hold.

The only way to do it right is cut the rivets out, drop the right side of the case, apply

sealer along the seam where it drains and screw it back together.

ive done this to about 10-12 cobalts now.

Come to memphis and i'll fix it for ya! haha

Jeff
2005 SS/SC