Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Corroded Fuel Line Leaks

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 10:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Corroded Fuel Line Leaks

Hey all,

I'm a "new" member here, but I've been a long time viewer for over 10 years; this forum has a ton of great contributors and a library's worth of information. I have seen a number of threads in which members have experienced fuel leaks due to the metallurgy of the fuel lines between the fuel tank and fuel rail/HPFP; of course the overwhelming majority of affected vehicles are in the Northeast and Midwest. The leak occurs at the section of fuel line within the plastic brackets in the driver's side rear fender well, and it seems that most members have either repaired it themselves or had the dealer/shop patch in new lines. My '08 SS experienced this issue in 2015 around 70,000 miles; fuel was pouring all over the ground in the dead of winter. I had to travel cross country for a new job, so I made do by patching in a new line with a compression fitting - less than ideal. Since buying this car I've had it in the air more than a few times for maintenance, and I always assumed the bare fuel lines were stainless; clearly that is not the case.

With this being a serious safety issue and an involved/expensive repair, I reported the issue to NHTSA (today actually, finally got around to it) so that I can add my case to the reports. As this involves a fuel leak (potential fire), these cases are prioritized by NHTSA, so it takes a smaller amount of reports to issue a recall than other (less pertinent) reported issues. Once it's on NHTSA's radar, they will investigate GM's internal reports to gather additional information.

I encourage everyone on here who has experienced this issue to file a NHTSA claim, regardless of whether is was covered under warranty, you fixed it yourself, or you paid out of pocket. If NHTSA gets even just a few more reports, than can request a recall from GM to repair all affected vehicles, which includes reimbursing customers who paid the dealer to fix their vehicle. I'll post the link below:

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/
Old 10-31-2018, 10:46 PM

Received 316 Likes on 296 Posts
Good idea. It should have been covered by an extended warranty.
Old 10-31-2018, 11:20 PM

Received 531 Likes on 455 Posts
I had to replace my complete fuel system because the lines corroded last year. I should see if I can get this as a manufacturer defect because that was $1000+ to a mechanic.
Old 11-03-2018, 07:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ProfDNS
I had to replace my complete fuel system because the lines corroded last year. I should see if I can get this as a manufacturer defect because that was $1000+ to a mechanic.
It's definitely worth a try; it only takes a few minutes to fill out. Without knowing the threshold for NHTSA to investigate and subpoena GM for additional documentation, we could literally be only a few reports away from a recall since the issue is a significant fire hazard and can cause the vehicle to stall.

I just ordered a complete line kit from FineLine (Part # FL255-A1D) to replace the patch job I had to do on my car. The kit is complete from fuel tank to fuel rail, includes the filter, and comes in 4 sections with union fittings for easier installation. The lines are also coated so they won't rust through like the original lines. If a recall is then issued, I'll apply for reimbursement from GM.
Old 11-06-2018, 05:55 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Had this happen on my 06 Cobalt and my daughter's 04 Ion. I just spliced in new lines with compression fittings and no issues since! I would be happy to file a complaint as well. That insulating wrap they put around the fuel lines sure like to hold salt and moisture!
Old 11-07-2018, 06:10 PM

Received 70 Likes on 54 Posts
I spent $ 900 to fix this. Car was leaking gas as I was driving. People behind me were PISSED!
The following users liked this post:
Sport Red LNF (11-12-2018)
Old 11-07-2018, 06:14 PM

Received 361 Likes on 308 Posts
Mine are rusted, been keeping a eye on them. Hopefully gm does issue a extended coverage or recall. All vehicle should be using either stainless lines for fuel imo.
The following users liked this post:
Sport Red LNF (11-12-2018)