Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   Problems/Service/Maintenance (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/problems-service-maintenance-69/)
-   -   back again with idle problems (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/problems-service-maintenance-69/back-again-idle-problems-96339/)

SSinPA 02-13-2008 03:36 PM

back again with idle problems

I wrote awhile ago about bouncing revs. Well got it reflashed and it is still doing it. When coming to a stop it is fine but as soon as i put in in neutral or step on the clutch to stop the revs plummet. The car compensates but too much so it revs it up to over a grand and then it drops below 250 again then back up. One time the revs dropped so far it stalled itself. My question is, could a sensor be the cause of the problem. Maybe bad MAF sensor. I really don't wanna take it back to the dealership cuz they are a pain in the ass. Can you guys offer any help?

an0malous 02-13-2008 03:37 PM

have you tried cleaning your maf?

do you have an intake?

SSinPA 02-13-2008 03:42 PM

yes i have a fujita CAI. How do you clean it.

Tigerballs 02-13-2008 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by an0malous (Post 1952460)
have you tried cleaning your maf?

do you have an intake?

I got the same problem. What would be the best way to clean the maf sensor?

an0malous 02-13-2008 03:44 PM

buy some CRC maf cleaner from your local parts store,
pull it out, spray the shit out of it, wipe it gently with a cotton swab, let it dry a few minutes, put it back.

SSinPA 02-13-2008 03:46 PM

Do you think that would take care of the problem. Would a dirty MAF have any other signs that it needs cleaning?

an0malous 02-13-2008 03:48 PM

a cel, or a surging, or "cough" at higher rpms....

generally its the first port of call any time its not runnin so great.

check air filter, clean maf, check plugs, check vacuum lines.

SSinPA 02-13-2008 03:50 PM

sometimes when i get accelerate the car feels like it bogs down and losses all power and jerks and sputers then goes again.

CJ BadBlackSS 02-13-2008 03:51 PM

i have this same issue and have once before been pointed to the MAF. Specifically that I might have oil on it from the K&N filter. I will have to take a looksee.

an0malous 02-13-2008 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by SSinPA (Post 1952551)
sometimes when i get accelerate the car feels like it bogs down and losses all power and jerks and sputers then goes again.

this is very typical dirty maf behaviour.

SSinPA 02-13-2008 04:07 PM

if cleaning doesn't work should i consider replacing the MAF sensor?

an0malous 02-13-2008 04:07 PM

as far as i know, mafs usually either work, or they dont
i dont think replacing it would really change much unless you just cant get it clean

stealththx 02-13-2008 04:11 PM

Glad to here someone has the same problem. Well...not really. I have an 05 SS S/C with a K&N Typhoon. I have 57000 on the car now and cleaned the filter about 7000 miles ago. It was doing this before I cleaned it so I don't think it is the oil. I will have to take out the MAF and clean it and see what happens.

an0malous 02-13-2008 04:14 PM

its the oil from the filter getting on the maf sensor.

CJ BadBlackSS 02-13-2008 05:18 PM

i guess i should check my maf. its stupid that the filter has that much excess oil on it from the factory that it would get all over the maf.

rockkrawler628 02-19-2008 09:21 AM

i currently have a problem like this... however its not all the time and when it does idle it makes a weird screeching noise... i hate the dealer and i hope i don't gotta take it there... it doesn't do it alot but when it does the idle drops and the car shudders and shit and when i hit the gas usually it'll stop... it only does it when im coming to a stop and at idle... so idfk

SuperchargedSS 02-19-2008 09:29 AM

What An0malous said... I find it way easier to get at the MAF from the headlight. Just take the headlight out, the the supporting bracket and you should be looking straight down onto your intake. Dont try to take the filter out this way, as it wont fit. Its only good for pulling the MAF for cleaning. If you need to clean your filter enjoy the 7mm screws ....

So...

1) Disconnect the battery and reset the ECU
2) Take out the MAF and clean it
3) Remove and inspect plugs, clean them or replace.
4) If needed clean out the filter.
5) Get some 94 octane if you can, and add some injector cleaner...
6) Take it for a nice drive, and once warm , slowly walk through the gears.... "As much as you can"