Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Can I get belt locally?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 09:29 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Can I get belt locally?

Hi all,

I have a 2006 Cobalt SS with the 2.9 pulley on it. On my way home today my car broke the supercharger belt. I had the shorter belt from ZZP on it and it's only been on there about 5,000 miles now and it's already broke! Maybe a bad belt or too much slack? Anyways, does anyone know a part # for the correct belt so that I could get the belt from a local auto parts store? Or do I have to order the GM shorter belt online and online is going to be my only option? If someone could please let me know I'd greatly appreciate that!
Old 06-08-2017, 12:07 AM
Platinum Member

Received 584 Likes on 519 Posts
autozone sells a bunch of different sized two sided belts. theres a thread on here somewhere that lists all the part numbers and sizes
Old 06-08-2017, 09:01 AM

I found a Gates part number on the forum here for a belt that was about an inch shorter than the GM Stage 2 belt. The Gates part number is DK060674. Does anyone have any experience with using this belt? Also after reading on ZZP website the GM Stage 2 belt is apparently notorious for failing? So should I just get the adjustable tensioner from ZZP and go back to the stock belt? Also called my local dealer and they couldn't even find the GM Stage 2 belt and I gave them the ACDelco part number even of 12597993. Opinion on what I should do here?

Anyone ever used the Gates belt I mentioned?

Go with ZZP adjustable tensioner and stock belt or try GM Stage 2 belt again?
Old 06-08-2017, 07:11 PM

Anyone?
Old 06-08-2017, 10:50 PM
Platinum Member

Received 584 Likes on 519 Posts
I wish i could help. Dont have much experience with this though. If the adjustable tensioner works to make a longer belt fit, i dont see why it wouldnt work.
Old 06-10-2017, 11:10 PM

Figured out problem with car today on why it broke the belt. It wasn't the belts fault. The bolt snapped off that holds the tensioner bracket to the car! The tensioner pulley got damaged and obviously the belt got tore up as well from where the tensioner pulley was no longer connected to the car and it just slung the belt and tore it up. Didn't even try the belt that's an inch shorter than the GM Stage 2 belt that I went and picked up from NAPA today because once I went and picked the belt up at NAPA and came back and started working on the car and seen what happened there was no point. I am ordering the adjustable tensioner from ZZP and the stock serpentine belt. 200 dollars worth of parts I'll be ordering from ZZP thanks to one bolt breaking off.