Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   Problems/Service/Maintenance (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/problems-service-maintenance-69/)
-   -   Car doesnt want to come out of reverse (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/problems-service-maintenance-69/car-doesnt-want-come-out-reverse-325633/)

08ss315whp 01-06-2018 08:03 PM

Car doesnt want to come out of reverse

alright so ive got an 08 ss, a few months ago the car was driven to storage for the winter. I was put of town at the time so my father drove it there and put the cover on and all that, while he was driving it he says he heard a loud crack which i later found out was the front engine mount that had snapped, the engine dropped a good 2 inches on the front because of this. i fixed the mount and all but noticed that the car no longer wants to come out of reverse. It goes into all the gears just fine and come out of all the other gears just fine as well, there are no grinds or weird noises and the clutch is all the way in at all times. But whenever i try to take it out of reverse itll pop out of gear normally but needs an incredible amount of force to be pushed back to the left(normal position). Has anyone ever had this? Could it just be a linkage of some sort?

jdbaugh1 01-07-2018 09:43 AM

Wonder what caused the front engine mount to fail with a loud cracking noise. Did your dad notice the car lurch or any issues with the trans when the mount failed? I would think it would have been subject to some sort of shock load to make a loud cracking noise.

08ss315whp 01-08-2018 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by jdbaugh1 (Post 7673475)
Wonder what caused the front engine mount to fail with a loud cracking noise. Did your dad notice the car lurch or any issues with the trans when the mount failed? I would think it would have been subject to some sort of shock load to make a loud cracking noise.

I think it failed because of a combination of extremely shitty roads( i think my town has the worst roads in the country) and the fact that im not always too easy on the car. The car also makes about 100 more horsepower than when it came out of the factory, i think the mount was just weakened by the abuse and the bumps and when he drove it he probably hit a bump and that caused it to just fail. Anyways thats fixed now, my new issue is this problem coming out of reverse

royce777 01-08-2018 04:20 PM

I would check the shift forks on top of the transmission

Slowbalt2000 01-08-2018 06:09 PM

Could have stretched a shift cable when the mount snapped and the engine fell.

exninja 01-10-2018 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Slowbalt2000 (Post 7673555)

I was wondering this but I'd think he'd have the same issue for fifth, or 2nd and 4th.

08ss315whp 01-12-2018 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Slowbalt2000 (Post 7673555)

If a shift cable stretched i would expect it to happen in other gears as well, but its only when going out of reverse.