Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Car gets power will not crank.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 11:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car gets power will not crank.

I have a 2006 Cobalt SS/SC. My problem is that everything in the car powers on. Radio, lights, everything. But the car will not crank when you turn the key over. You can roll start it and it starts fine. We had a new starter put it in, new battery, new terminal cables, checked to make sure it was grounding good. The weird thing about it is sometimes it will randomly start, but it is just as random for not starting. Has anyone else had this problem and found a solution? I've googled, searched everywhere and no luck. We have tried everything we know possible.

tl;dr car gets power to radio/lights etc. but will not crank. tried everything
Old 09-06-2012, 11:58 PM
Banned

Check ip fuse, also make sure security light is not on. The other thing is to make sure you have power going to starter.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:06 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a similar issue after changing my clutch and it was a loose connection on the bottom of the fuse box.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by Chevycobaltss3
Check ip fuse, also make sure security light is not on. The other thing is to make sure you have power going to starter.
IP fuse i suppose you mean instrument panel. I checked all the crank fuses and nothing. And no the anti theft system hasnt kicked in.

Originally Posted by bluebalt07
I had a similar issue after changing my clutch and it was a loose connection on the bottom of the fuse box.
By fuse box i suppose you mean the one under the hood correct? and the red/black on the right bottom corner was loose?
The following users liked this post:
Nav (07-14-2023)
Old 09-07-2012, 12:58 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Check to see if you are getting voltage to the small wire that goes to the starter, I had the same problem after I changed my engine, turned out I forgot to tighten the nut for that wire and it wasnt making contact all the time
Old 09-07-2012, 01:51 AM

clutch safety switch? it doesnt think your holding the clutch in
Old 09-07-2012, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by kzak104
clutch safety switch? it doesnt think your holding the clutch in
We thought it could be that, but we are believing it's something electrical.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:28 PM

Make sure the jump post on you fuse box is tight. Happened to me. Had the fuse box out for roll pin replacement, put it back together and had this issue for awhile until I realized what the problem coul be
Old 09-07-2012, 01:47 PM

Replace the crank relay. Or swap with rear defog temporarily
Old 09-07-2012, 01:54 PM

Is it turning over, but not cranking? or not turning over at all?

Mine would turn over but would not actually start. Didn't have any spark from the coils. Ended up being the injector fuse was blown.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by BankerBalt
Replace the crank relay. Or swap with rear defog temporarily
Just tried and nothing.

Originally Posted by K-Train04RL
Make sure the jump post on you fuse box is tight. Happened to me. Had the fuse box out for roll pin replacement, put it back together and had this issue for awhile until I realized what the problem coul be
Going to give this a try in a little while. Will let you know you are talking about the big metal thing sticking up or are you talking about tightening the actual wires themselves?

Originally Posted by DPaul6590
Is it turning over, but not cranking? or not turning over at all?

Mine would turn over but would not actually start. Didn't have any spark from the coils. Ended up being the injector fuse was blown.
It will not turn over at all. When you turn the key you hear a click but no sign of the engine even trying to start.
Old 09-07-2012, 03:51 PM

I had that happen as well, but it was because I had the starter hooked up wrong haha
Old 09-07-2012, 04:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by coon11

By fuse box i suppose you mean the one under the hood correct? and the red/black on the right bottom corner was loose?
Yes the one under the hood and it could be that post on the right bottom corner. My problem though was there are like 5 big plugs on the underside of the fuse box. They are the wiring for all the stuff in the car and my plugs weren't seated correctly and therefore not contacting the fuses right. So somehow I ended up with power to all the accessories, but car wouldn't start and a few other minor things. All I had to do was take the fuse box back out and push in the plugs a little more and it solved my problem.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:16 PM

Sounds like a ignition switch might be wore out,try turning it slowly and stopping when you hear it crank.
Had a problem like that on my other car.turn the key to fast and it went to far and didn't make contact in the switch .
Will give you the wires to check later tonight to trouble shoot the ignition when I get time.

Do you have and know how to use multi- meter ?a 12v light probe will work as well.

Last edited by Coblasts; 09-07-2012 at 05:25 PM.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:43 PM

^ i dont think its an ignition switch. sounds like voltage. if its clicking when you turn the Key to "start" then you dont have enough power to turn the motor over. im willing to bet the guys who are saying something is loose, are correct
Old 09-07-2012, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Coblasts
Sounds like a ignition switch might be wore out,try turning it slowly and stopping when you hear it crank.
Had a problem like that on my other car.turn the key to fast and it went to far and didn't make contact in the switch .
Will give you the wires to check later tonight to trouble shoot the ignition when I get time.

Do you have and know how to use multi- meter ?a 12v light probe will work as well.
pm'd called the dealer and this is what we are beginning to believe it might be. 50/50 on it, but if you can pm me that before I take it to the dealer monday that would be awesome. Thanks
Old 09-08-2012, 02:05 AM

Easiest and first thing to check (Note check all fuses with a meter either using the ohm setting with the fuse taken out or on the dc setting checking both sides of the fuse with one lead to ground)

In anyway is looking at a fuse to see if it's blown a good enough check unless it is charred black!!!!

Missed this on disconnect battery and check PCM connectors are seated properly.

1)purple wire on the starter has 12v when trying to start the car(feeds the selinoid from the crank relay)crank fuse 30 amps under hood fuse box

2)Power passing through the clutch switch,yellow and pink wires should have power on both sides to ground
When cluth is depressed.(circut is fed by the fuse 16 on the bcm hvac/ip ign)no power check fuse

3)For the ignition switch there is another fuse on the Bcm(IGN SW /pk3 2 amp fuse shows on the prints

4) Also there are two others fuses worth checking under the hood (they are labeled bcm 3-30 amps and bcm 4 -40 amps they feed the starting circut as well.

5) For the switch itself:
There are five wires
(Terminal number in brackets) example (6).

White/black (6) 5 volt dc part of the theft deterrent

Red/white (2) 12volts dc fed from the bcm ign/SW fuse(for actually turning on the crank relay when you try to start the car)

White wire (5) looks like 5 volts passes through the switch to the bcm when car is started (Not sure on this one)

Yellow (3) 12 volts dc fed from the switch back to the bcm from the switch to the crank relay when car is started(should read 12vdc here I would think when trying to start the car)

Brown (4) 12 volts dc ,Feds the theft deterrent modul and the ignition lock selinoid .

I take no responsibility for what happens to your car while checking any of these thing with a meter.
The material and advice is to the best of my abilitys and I am not a trained tech.

If nothing can be found at fault you can also check all bcm connectors for tightness( maybe even remove them and look for burnt pins etc) with the battery disconnected of course!
Hope this information is helpful.

Last edited by Coblasts; 09-08-2012 at 02:10 AM.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:23 PM

Bumping. Took it to the dealer has the whole new ignition put in and a new key and $300 later it's still not wanting to crank. It started fine this morning when I took it stopped at the bank came back out started fine again. But now that im back home it does the same thing, turn key over and nothing happens doesnt even start cranking. so $600 and 2 months and still have not figured out what it is.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:49 PM

When you turn the key on but not trying to start it,Do you hear the pump priming?
Old 09-22-2012, 08:30 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Check all body grounds.. I had this same problem because I removed my ground under the drivers headlight and didn't put it back on tight enough when I re-did my hid's
Old 09-24-2012, 03:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Clean both battery posts
Old 09-24-2012, 12:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have some one or if you have an (interceptor you can witch it yourself) moniter voltage as you try to crank it. See how far the voltage goes down. If your watching it on the interceptor wait till it boots up first. Itll get abit dim when you try to start it but should still display the voltage.

If the voltage goes down significantly, then its somethign with the battery/ battery connections.
If the voltage stays reletivly the same, then its something in the control circuits.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:40 PM

This happened to me yesterday. It was one of the 2A fuses in the passenger side fuse box. Cant remember the name off the top of my head but there are only 2 of those size fuses on that panel
Old 09-24-2012, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Coblasts
When you turn the key on but not trying to start it,Do you hear the pump priming?
yes the fuel pump is priming just had a new one put on. and checked all the fuses because my boost gauge is stuck at 5 now and i was looking at that yesterday.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by CannonBalt
Check all body grounds.. I had this same problem because I removed my ground under the drivers headlight and didn't put it back on tight enough when I re-did my hid's
was just thinking it started doing this after i changed the hid bulb in my driver side.. can you take a pic or be more specific on what came loose?

Quick Reply: Car gets power will not crank.