Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   Problems/Service/Maintenance (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/problems-service-maintenance-69/)
-   -   Check Engine Light help (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/problems-service-maintenance-69/check-engine-light-help-271502/)

wil_cSs 02-10-2012 04:31 PM

Check Engine Light help

so my car has been haveing the check engine light for a while, i took it to get it check and at the dealer they told me that it reads that the system is running lean...told me to wait and use 93 gas so i have been, im okay with that but the light hasnt come off...i have to take the balt to do the emissions test, i unplugged the battery cuz that was gonna get rid of the problem for a while, but when i took it today they told me that the car wasnt ready to be tested...really blown there...when i took the car to an official chevy dealer they told me that the car has the light on because "the car has been heavily modified" n id have to go completly stock to get rid of the problem...i bought it as it is the only thing ive done is intake and thats about it...anywayssss
my question is...is there a way to shut this effin light off? without the ppl at the emissions finding out that there was ever a problem!?
Thanks!

raceram9 02-10-2012 04:46 PM

go to a auto parts place and see if they have a code reader it will erase them too....

emiller 02-10-2012 04:46 PM

Take the intake off and see if the light goes away.

wil_cSs 02-10-2012 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by emiller (Post 6331798)
Take the intake off and see if the light goes away.

it had the light up even before the intake, but i can try that too

Originally Posted by raceram9 (Post 6331797)
go to a auto parts place and see if they have a code reader it will erase them too....

they told me that they could but at the time that i do the test they will kno that there was something wrong and will try to investigate even more

insylem 02-11-2012 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by wil_cSs (Post 6331825)

they told me that they could but at the time that i do the test they will kno that there was something wrong and will try to investigate even more

Something to keep in mind when dealing with people.

" Everybody Lies"
-Dr Greg House

Learylax3r 02-11-2012 10:39 AM

I ran a lean code, try throwing some injector cleaner in when you fill up. It worked for me. Also, it sucks that you unplugged the battery, took me a week before enough of my sensors were ready for me to pass inspection, I still don't know if my EVAP is ready. I have the Injen intake still on, when I first threw the code, I made sure that all the hoses and clamps were on nice and tight too ,just to be sure.

Mike S 02-11-2012 05:49 PM

there are tunes out there that will permanintly disable codes but a little expensive. if you take it to an autoparts store they can disable the code but they are not suppose to soo good luck with that the code would return in about 70 miles so if they would disable the code you would have to drive directly over there

wil_cSs 02-12-2012 01:31 AM

awesome guys this has been really great help i am gonna try a couple of this advices i deff need to pass that damn test cuz i would not be able to afford getting all the parts that i need to just pass the effin test...if anyone else knows of anything please share it! im pretty sure a couple others could use the help!

sLAsh 02-12-2012 02:11 AM

Find out what the code is. Fix the problem.
Pass inspection.

MastaShaKe_88 02-12-2012 11:56 AM

Yea, jus take it to autozone or somethin an have them read the code, an then you can figure out Wat it is

wil_cSs 02-12-2012 11:03 PM

the code reads "System running lean" it could mean a lot of things but what they told me that i had to go completely stock to get rid of this problem

MastaShaKe_88 02-12-2012 11:23 PM

no, what was the actual code? was it a P0171?

Mike S 02-13-2012 12:38 AM

adjust your air to fuel ratio

Coblasts 02-13-2012 08:06 AM

Erasing the code doesn't help you for the emissions test because you will delete the drive cycles in the ECM
Memory and will have to do a lot of driving to get them back to be able to pass the test.

07SSS 02-15-2012 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by wil_cSs (Post 6331753)
so my car has been haveing the check engine light for a while, i took it to get it check and at the dealer they told me that it reads that the system is running lean...told me to wait and use 93 gas so i have been, im okay with that but the light hasnt come off...i have to take the balt to do the emissions test, i unplugged the battery cuz that was gonna get rid of the problem for a while, but when i took it today they told me that the car wasnt ready to be tested...really blown there...when i took the car to an official chevy dealer they told me that the car has the light on because "the car has been heavily modified" n id have to go completly stock to get rid of the problem...i bought it as it is the only thing ive done is intake and thats about it...anywayssss
my question is...is there a way to shut this effin light off? without the ppl at the emissions finding out that there was ever a problem!?
Thanks!

If your gonna get it looked at get your mechanic to check to make sure the 02 sensor is working properly.

Mine has just done the exact same thing, threw P0171 system lean. I was up and down all the intake pipes and hoses checking for vacuum leaks or anything and overlooked the 02 sensor

I had a injen intake on it for over 2 years and it all of the sudden lite up and I took it to the dealer who then told me to "put the original intake back on" so they could diagnose it. I did and it went away only to come back after the car had been sitting for a week.

kdub1492 02-15-2012 07:50 PM

Find someone around you and get a tune. They can turn off that CEL