Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   Problems/Service/Maintenance (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/problems-service-maintenance-69/)
-   -   Clicking Noise (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/problems-service-maintenance-69/clicking-noise-319372/)

biniecki 09-30-2015 11:17 PM

Clicking Noise

I just noticed today that when I hit the brakes to slow down or when pressing the gas to leaving from a stop, I hear a clicking noise coming from the passenger side. Sounds like its near the floor pan. For reference the sound is similar to that of when you apply the brake while in park and you hear it unlock the gear shifter. The only difference is that it's about 3 times as loud and coming from a different location. Any thoughts on what it might be? I was thinking it might be the axle/CV joint. From visual inspection the boots appear to be intact and no grease leaking.

riceburner 09-30-2015 11:31 PM

Staged07ss told me that that sound is the axle bolts needing to be retorqued. I am yet to try mine cause i have the same issue

Staged07SS 10-01-2015 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by riceburner (Post 7568501)
Staged07ss told me that that sound is the axle bolts needing to be retorqued. I am yet to try mine cause i have the same issue

Might not always be the case for everyone though...

You and I both installed new axles and have the clicking. That's why I recommend checking the axle installation and re-torq the bolt.

OP, are you running factory axles? If so, have you ever replaced them? Any other suspension mods?

biniecki 10-01-2015 09:50 AM

Thanks for the tip. I will give that a try and see if the sound goes away or not.

T-fog 10-01-2015 07:34 PM

Sub'd

Same issue here, started about 2 months ago randomly.

biniecki 10-02-2015 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Staged07SS (Post 7568533)
Might not always be the case for everyone though...

You and I both installed new axles and have the clicking. That's why I recommend checking the axle installation and re-torq the bolt.

OP, are you running factory axles? If so, have you ever replaced them? Any other suspension mods?

The driver side axle was replaced about a year ago. The passenger side is still the factory axle. I may have replaced the wheel bearing on that side tho. As for suspension I am running Koni Yellow struts and shocks with Eibach Sportline springs. The car has almost 90k on it

biniecki 10-14-2015 09:10 AM

I never got around to checking the axel nut to make sure it was torqued to specs. Weird thing is that the noise is no longer occurring. It seems to have gone away on its own which is very strange.

Cobalt_Daddy 10-14-2015 11:53 AM

i had this issue with my 09 TC. worn out where the axle connects to the transmission. can't remember the name of the part exactly but there was play in it. replaced under warranty. noise went away.

biniecki 10-25-2015 02:23 PM

Noise just came back so I am going to check the axel nut and see if that corrects the issue. Otherwise it might be time for a new axle