Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Clutch Slipping - SS/TC

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 12:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Clutch Slipping - SS/TC

2009 SS/TC - 97,000 miles. Original clutch.

I had my daughter help me bleed the brakes, and come to find out she was depressing the clutch pedal instead of the brake pedal (duh). Now I am getting some occasional slippage of the clutch - only when starting in 1st and 2nd gear and at low RPM, and typically when it is cold.

I also have had the clutch pedal stick at the floor twice now over the last 2 months. I was able to pull it up by hand and continue on with no problem shifting. I could not change gears when the pedal was stuck.

Is it possible to get air in clutch from bleeding the brakes incorrectly? I was pulling a vacuum on the brake bleeder valve at the time. I know that the brake fluid is connected to the clutch, so it seems plausible.

I have not bleed the clutch yet, but I wanted to get some ideas before I take it to a shop.

Any other ideas?

Thanks for the guidance.
Old 11-28-2017, 12:49 PM

Received 417 Likes on 341 Posts
I guess it's possible. Doesn't seem likely though. You can use the bleeder valve on the distribution block to bleed it and see if there's air. Then follow with vacuum on the reservoir (close the valve though). The normal procedure to bleed the clutch is to do what you were doing, that's why it doesn't seem likely that it's the problem.
Old 11-28-2017, 01:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I agree that it would be odd since you were pulling a vacuum on the bleed valve when this occurred.

But then again, if there were no clutch problems just before you tried to bleed the brakes, then it seems so directly connected that it is worth bleeding both the brakes and clutch just to be sure, before spending extra cash taking it to a shop.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It ended up being a leaking slave cylinder. Had that replaced along with a new clutch, and it is all very smooth now. Shifts better than new.